Sony KV32HS510 and the DVI connector... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-29-2003, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone tried to connect a computer to the DVI connector on the Sony KV-32HS510 ? I have a DVI to VGA adapter and I was wondering what would happen if I try to connect a PC using the adapter, can I damage the TV ?

Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-29-2003, 11:54 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 164
FWIW, there's alot of info/links re DVI in the Computer Input and some other threads in my signature.

I'm not sure what kind of DVI/VGA adapter you're referring to though. What sort of video card do you have on your computer, and what kind of video ports are on it? And how is the adapter designed to attach to it?

ADU
post #3 of 4 Old 09-30-2003, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for your help. It was an Apple DVI-to-VGA adapter, I borrowed one from work yesterday, but the DVI connector on the TV is slightly different than the adapter I got; the shape of the connector is the same, but the pins are different, the connector on the TV is missing some of the extra pins in the adapter.
I wanted it to use the adapter to connect my Sega Dreamcast through the VGA port, but I guess I need to look into another way to do it.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-30-2003, 10:06 AM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 164
I'm still a bit unclear on what's going on. But if you're coming from the VGA output on a PC or game machine, that signal would be analog RGB. The TV however is designed for EIA-861 (HDTV) digital RGB.

The adapter sounds like it was designed to convert a DVI-I MAC output (which would include both digital and analog RGB signals) to analog VGA for input on an analog VGA monitor, which wouldn't really help you.

Converting an analog VGA output to digital DVI is probably an expensive proposition, and not worth the trouble. I'm not very savvy about games. but if your game machine doesn't have YPbPr Component output, then you might be able to use a VGA -> YPbPr transcoder to run the VGA signal into the TV's YPbPr component inputs.

ADU
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page