Zenith C32V37 with integrated HDTV tuner - mini review - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 458 Old 02-20-2004, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've just purchased the C32V37 and have only Comcast extended basic service (Cary, IL 60013). Did you find that the built-in QAM tuner would not access your HD channels? Apparently they are as follows in the Chcago area:
173 - ESPN
174 - INHD
175 - INHD2
185 - Showtime
186 - HBO
187 - ABC (WLS)
188 - NBC (WMAQ)
189 - CBS (WBBM)
190 - Fox (WFLD)
191 - PBS (WTTW)
195 - Cinemax
196 - Starz!

As I recall, the EZ-scan didn't go beyond channel 133. Can I access the higher channels with the Zenith tuner? I guess I may need the HD cable box for the HD channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 458 Old 02-20-2004, 11:36 AM

Look in the local HD area. There is a thread about Comcast in Chicago.
post #93 of 458 Old 02-20-2004, 11:45 AM

Thanks. That's the thread I got the local channel info from, but there wasn't much applicable to the QAM tuner. The local HD channels are apparently not scrambled, but may be outside the range of the Zenith tuner. Many apparently get basic local cable with HD and a cable box (Motorola 6200?) to access these unscrambled channels.
post #94 of 458 Old 02-20-2004, 04:45 PM

I have the Zenith 32V37 and it is great as far as I am concerned. I also have Comcast and here in Albuquerque, all HD signals must be encrypted or something because I can get none of them. However, I can get a bunch of digital stations direct with a very simple antenna. With rabbit ears, it was pretty good but I bought a little Zenith log periodic and they all come in great. On the other hand, the HD program content leaves a lot to be desired. Very few true HD programs on the networks although here, CBS seems to have the most.

Yes, Zenith is now owned by LG from Korea. However, my TV says "Made In Mexico". I would bet that a lot of parts are from Korea but it was shipped from south of the border.
post #95 of 458 Old 02-20-2004, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

So, what's the deal with Zenith now? They disappeared off the face of the Earth for a while it seemed.

Now suddenly, they come back with an attractive lineup of good and reviews around are pretty positive.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #96 of 458 Old 02-21-2004, 07:25 PM

I wish Zenith made a 36-inch version of the C32V37--it would be quite a versatile set and I believe alot of people would buy it. Is Zenith out of the 36-inch 4:4 buisness forever?
post #97 of 458 Old 02-21-2004, 09:01 PM

Just got this TV today. I am very impressed with this TV so far. HDTV tuner receives all local channels except FOX, which is a well-documented station problem (learnt from another thread). The HDTV sigal is million times better than the analog signal. I am using the silver sensor. HDTV tuner was the top reason I purchased this TV. It sure didn't let me down.

Here are what I don't like so far:
1. The power cord is on the front side edge.
2. The S-Video 1 and 2 jacks are not align with AV 1 and 2. I didn't realize it until I read the manual. I thought the S-Video jacks were swapped. They are clearly labeled on the back, but the placement of the TV in my house just won't let me see it clearly. Anyway, they should align S-Video 1&2 with AV 1&2.
3. Red push. I think I may go get a OFA remote to correct it.
4. The speakers are not powerful enough. Well most of the TVs have the same problem.
5. There is no way to activate cc automatically when I press the mute button. This is a very useful feature that I found it on a lot of cheap models nowadays.
6. There is no way to assign a blue screen to replace the noisy screen on analog channel.
7. Only one antenna are DTV ready.
9. I wish this TV can output HDTV signal also.
10. I wish there is some quick access button for each input mode.
post #98 of 458 Old 02-21-2004, 10:06 PM

Presently you can get a free TV stand with the purchase of this or any 30-36" tv at Best Buy. Plus the TV is only $899.99 according to their web site ($100 off) and free shipping.

Stand

TV
post #99 of 458 Old 02-22-2004, 05:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't see any real earth shattering complaints against this TV, although I'd still like to hear more about the widescreen v34v (w?) 37's as well...

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #100 of 458 Old 02-22-2004, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by palebluedot
[b]Presently you can get a free TV stand with the purchase of this or any 30-36" tv at Best Buy. Plus the TV is only $899.99 according to their web site ($100 off) and free shipping.
Unfortunately, the $100-off ended at midnight Saturday, the television is back up to $999. You might have to reload the page.
post #101 of 458 Old 02-22-2004, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Still ain't a bad price for a pretty good HDTV.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #102 of 458 Old 02-22-2004, 10:24 AM

Yeah I saw that, then I saw that Ultimate Electronics has it on ad for $100 off this week so :) Price matching time! Just ordered mine today, unfortunately I won't be able to take delivery until this coming Saturday :(. Maybe I'll call in sick to work.
post #103 of 458 Old 02-22-2004, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I look forward to hearing your impressions.

Anyone know where I can get (free) information as to how Zenith as a company is actually doing these days? Thanks!

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #104 of 458 Old 02-22-2004, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 20
cdcooker,

On my C27V36, you can set the CC to come up automatically when mute is hit. Just hit the CC button(if your model has one) until you see "EZMUTE". This automatically activates the CC when the mute button is hit. Also, make sure you have your CC set to CC1. I believe this the most used by TV sources.
post #105 of 458 Old 02-22-2004, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have to give Zenith props on something: They definitely seem to have a few more user friendly quirks/convenience going for their TV's.

Only thing missing is, according to their literature, they skip 720p outright on all the HD sets. Someone care to double check me on that?

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #106 of 458 Old 02-22-2004, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally posted by Q of BanditZ
I have to give Zenith props on something: They definitely seem to have a few more user friendly quirks/convenience going for their TV's.

Only thing missing is, according to their literature, they skip 720p outright on all the HD sets. Someone care to double check me on that?
Q,

If you mean that it does not display 720p natively, then you are correct. It does however convert it to 480p or 1080i. I've always said that it converts it to 1080i, but it might downconvert it to 480p. I'm not sure about this, and if someone knows for sure please fill us in.

My only quirks with this TV(I have a C27V36, not the V37) is that the remote needs more user friendly controls(direct input buttons, all buttons labled on their surface for illumination, V36 prob of auto squeeze with high def sources 16:9 only, and individual user setup for each input)
post #107 of 458 Old 02-22-2004, 04:53 PM

Yes the Zenith upconverts all 720p to 1080i, whoever said it skips 720p altogether is wrong it does indeed display all formats 480p, 720p and 1080i
with 720p upconverted to 1080i.

which by the way is something that the Samsung and most others DO NOT do they wont even display 720p upconverted at all!
post #108 of 458 Old 02-22-2004, 04:54 PM

I have an Apex DVD player. The model is AD-5131. The remote control of this model and the Zenith conflict with each other. Some of the buttons on my DVD's remote will control the TV instead, vice versa. Is there anyway to change either on of these remote to avoid this problem. Some of the menu setup buttons of the DVD's remote are not accessible now. The buttons are not found on the DVD player itself.

Please help.

Thanks
post #109 of 458 Old 02-22-2004, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by STEELERSRULE
cdcooker,

On my C27V36, you can set the CC to come up automatically when mute is hit. Just hit the CC button(if your model has one) until you see "EZMUTE". This automatically activates the CC when the mute button is hit. Also, make sure you have your CC set to CC1. I believe this the most used by TV sources.
There is no such feature on the setup menu.
post #110 of 458 Old 02-22-2004, 05:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for the info about the 720p...

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #111 of 458 Old 02-22-2004, 06:34 PM

i purchased a c32v37 few weeks ago,it also has "red" problem,and so did the
display model.i have to use the video preset "off" in order to watch it on all inputs,digital preset it got worse.(poor quality control in the Mexico plant i guess). so i went to radio shack picked up their 2116 remote to access the
service menu (018) , tweaked the values looks alot better now. as mentioned b4 ezmenu goes to ch 13 which is beyond me why they did that.
I really like the TV, it'll just take a few weeks to get it adjusted, ordered DVE DVD to help with the process.
hdtv looks stunning! the ota tuner is sensitive.

I understand you had to adjust the very first color sets when they came out
in the 1960's
post #112 of 458 Old 02-22-2004, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting. Best Buy now has the 32V36 for $100 less. Has anyone done a good comparison between the V37 Integrated HDTV and the V36 Monitor for HD and SD? The V36 had the Faroudja DCDi chip which is known for excellent upconverts. But I think the V37 has better zoom options, features and maybe Invar masked tube to go along with the built in tuner.

I'm wondering how good the manufacturing recipe mix is between Korea and Mexico. I guess I thought they would be assembling in Korea. Where are the tubes made?

TI Purepath Digital:
Quote:
An audio revolution from the source to the ear...found in $99 DVD receivers to audiophile-grade $10,000 audio systems.
post #113 of 458 Old 02-22-2004, 11:22 PM

i'll take the v37. 100 bucks for a HDTV tuner is a good deal if you live in a area
with ota HDTV. i get all the networks and PBS HDTV. it also received the digital radio services on my cable. PBS has some fine hd programs which really surprised me. can't wait till the pledge drive to support it
my v37 was assembled in Mexico Jan2004 so who knows where the tube was
made maybe china i hear they have cheap labor (all of my computer stuff is made their) no complaints their .
post #114 of 458 Old 02-23-2004, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't mean this as a smart aleck question. Straight up: How's come you all choose Zenith over, say, Sony, or anybody else? Just curious... :)

BTW, I think everything is either made in India, the Orient (esp. China) or Mexico now. Very sad.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #115 of 458 Old 02-23-2004, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Q of BanditZ
I don't mean this as a smart aleck question. Straight up: How's come you all choose Zenith over, say, Sony, or anybody else? Just curious... :)

BTW, I think everything is either made in India, the Orient (esp. China) or Mexico now. Very sad.
Well the tv looks as good as the Sony's, Has as good of a picture to me as the Sony's and cost allot less with a tuner. I was a little worried about the zenith name tho...But LG is a reputable company....

I will have more to report once I have more time to spend with the tv... I have had it for two weeks now But I have been real busy.. so far I am impressed.
post #116 of 458 Old 02-23-2004, 09:46 AM

Price/features ratio! The price of C32V37 is cheaper than the cheapest 32" HDTV from Sony. With the integrated ATSC tuner, this is a no brainer choice for me. The out of box PQ may not be as good as Sony. As long as the picture quality can be fined with an OFA remote, this is not a big deal. (I must emphasize that it is not bad at all even without messing the service menu.) Also, the design of this TV looks as good as any TV from Sony, and it is very easy to be mistaken as a Sony too:)

I think most of the Sony TV's are not made in Japan either.
post #117 of 458 Old 02-23-2004, 10:52 AM

I got the 32V37 for price and features. I wanted a digital tv, and my wife wanted a 32" flatscreen. The fact that the Zenith has an integrated tuner helped sell her on it, because that's one less remote that we need.

In a perfect world, we would all own Sonys. But not all of us can afford the price premium to get one. I'd probably own a 910 if I could afford it.
post #118 of 458 Old 02-23-2004, 12:42 PM

Just thought I would throw this in:

Zenith invented the VSB digital transmission system adopted by the Federal
Communications Commission as part of the ATSC DTV standard!!!! as well as semiconductors for the digital high-definition television (HDTV) terrestrial broadcast transmission system!

Sony, Toshiba, Phillips as well as all the major HDTV manufacturers are using Zeniths own standard for HDTV and DTV!

Ask yourself this question What better HDTV to own then to have one straight from the people who has Invented the standard???? :p

Who would know their own system better and be able to optimize it better?

I will tell you: Z-E-N-I-T-H THATS WHO

Look for Zenith to start making some big pushes in the market after them laying low for awile so far the C32V37 is Jaw dropping and leads the way in its class, anyone looking for a 32 inch HDTV cant go wrong with this Awesome TV!
post #119 of 458 Old 02-23-2004, 01:07 PM

I wouldn't go that far. How much of Zenith was transferred to LG? I know for a fact that most of the former Zenith engineers involved with HD have started their own company here in the Chicago suburbs and are coming out with their own STB soon.

From what I have seen, my Zenith is up to the standards of the top tier of CE manufacturers (Sony, Toshiba, etc.). This is no Akai, or Daewoo, or even worse, some no-name Chinese brand, or some rebranded thing sold under Gateway or Dell.

I predict that the V32V37 is going to outsell all the other HDTVs combined. The price point is just too attractive. There is no reason NOT to get one.
post #120 of 458 Old 02-23-2004, 02:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Wow. How do you all feel about the c34v37, the latest widescreen tube from Zenith? Seem pretty good to you?

What's an OFA remote please?

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page