Zenith C32V37 with integrated HDTV tuner - mini review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 458 Old 10-29-2003, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Zenith C32V37 with integrated HDTV tuner.
http://www.zenith.com/index.asp?url=.../ad_C34W23.asp

At the present time, it is fairly unusual to have a built-in HDTV over the air (OTA) tuner in any TV, let alone one costing less than $1000, so that makes this one worthy of a little mini review.

The HDTV tuner works excellent, getting better signal quality than MyHD tuner card. The HDTV looks as good as any tube TV, or most rear projection and plasma, but it really makes me appreciate my Infocus X1. HDTV at these smaller sizes is kind of a waste. To really appreciate HDTV resolution, you need to make it big, which the X1 does marvelously (even with just 800 X 600 resolution.) That being said, the HDTV picture is sharp and precise. I was also able to route HDTV from MyHD PCI card via component and this worked fine. So I will be able to watch HDTV recorded on my computer with MyHD. And now I can watch one HDTV channel on this TV and record another one with my tuner card – very nice! Not many people can watch one HDTV channel while recording another.

Having the HDTV tuner integrated ensures that the signal stays digital the whole way. HDTV looks really good.

Positives –

Regular cable TV looks good. This is something lots of HDTVs struggle with. The sharpness control works well without introducing video noise.

HDTV tuner is sensitive and locks in to the signal pretty good. I’m using a Zenith silver sensor which I got for around twenty bucks at buy com.

Aspect ratio button on the remote lets you toggle between: “set by program,†4:3, 16:9 and Zoom. This aspect ratio works on just about any of the input sources, and is especially handy with OTA HDTV, where standard broadcasts are inset in the center of the screen. Using zoom will fill the screen. It is easy to toggle through these options and find the one you like. If you don’t mind making everyone skinny looking, you can get 16:9 source to stretch to fill the 4:3 screen. This worked OK.

EZ tuning automatically inserts HDTV OTA channels into your regular channel lineup. In my area, channel 4 is ABC. When I input “4†on the remote, it defaults to the HDTV digital signal, which if fine because OTA digital has a better picture than cable TV. If I scroll up through the digital channels, I get about 12 in the Seattle area, it will reach the cable channels and I can get channel 4 via cable.

When set to digital cable, I can receive cable transmitted in HDTV. At present Comcast in Seattle only has three, ABC, PBS and ESPN-HD, but it is nice being able to get HDTV over cable without a box. Unfortunately, it is either cable digital or OTA digital. You can't enable both at the same time. This only works for unscrambled digital cable, so no HBO and stuff.

Digital optical out, so you can output OTA Dolby digital to your receiver/decoder.

Custom “surf†button on your remote lets you set a favorites list of channels. You can only have about 10 favorite channels. So I set a few in strategic spots of the cable lineup. So I can zoom to the general area of the cable lineup with the surf button and then go up and down with the regular channel switch.

If you have it set for OTA reception, it will also tune in your regular analog OTA channels. This analog tuner is excellent, with very little ghosting or other problems associated with regular analog TV reception.

Two tuner PIP.

Lots of input, including DVI, two component and four video input.

Each source -- video 1, component, cable, HDTV, etc -- all retain their own video display settings, which is handy. It takes a little more time to get all your sources tweaked, but this is still a plus.

Negatives –

Right now the negatives are longer for me. Don’t make too much out of these complaints, as I get buyers remorse whenever I spend $1000 on something. This makes the negatives more dramatic at first. Usually I adjust and maybe even find out ways around the limitations.

Setup is dumbed down and so is the manual. There isn’t too much customizing of your antenna sources and stuff. This might be a positive for people who want more plug-and-play as it does integrate HDTV digital channels into your lineup automatically.

While this TV has "digital cable" tuner, you can’t select OTA HDTV (DTV) and digital cable (CADTV) at the same time. This is odd and makes me mad, because it won’t let you mix and match what each of your two antenna sources are receiving. Instead you have four options, only one of these options uses a cable TV feed and OTA HDTV feed at the same time. This makes me mad because I wanted to try the digital cable. Instead of allowing you to customize this stuff, it has something called “EZ scan†which only gives you four options, two of which only use only one of the antenna inputs!!

The default video settings were terrible. Why is it that every TV manufacturer makes the default contrast 100% and the default brightness 50%? This rarely looks good on any TV, and yet they continue to use this default. So figure on adjusting the brightness, contrast and color. The default color of 55 was too saturated, so I had to set this at 35. There are about 6 “picture†choices to toggle through, such as “sports†or “theater,†which might be good for certain people. I’ll experiment with these later.

Remote button for toggling through video sources is slow and make you toggle through all your sources. This means it might take you ten or more seconds to toggle through your choices. There is a two second pause between switching sources. There is a separate "component/DVI" button, so you can access these three sources relatively fast.

PIP is highly configurable, but when you swap the picture, there is a two second black screen as it switches sources. No fast PIP switching. This slow switching kind of drains the enjoyment of swapping PIP windows. Maybe I’ll get used to this.

Channel change is a little slow. In between channel changes, there is a ½ second black screen between the channels. This might annoy channel surfers.

While tube is 32â€, the actual viewing area is about 31â€. There is a black border around the whole picture. Since I upgraded from a legitimate 30†TV, I wanted the full 32â€, so this disappoints me.

Warranty on labor is puny 90 days. I’m not sure if this is standard with most TVs now, but I certainly would have preferred a full year warranty. Parts does have one year and tube is two year warranty.

This TV is big and heavy, 158 lbs. While it is 36 inches wide, it starts tapering back immediately, so only the first inch or so if actually 36†wide. Go toward the back of the TV six inches and it is only 32†wide, quickly tapering the rest of the way.

Final remarks.

I’ve pleased with the picture so far. It has a nice picture from a variety of sources. It will compliment my projector nicely. The HDTV tuner is a big, huge plus. If you are located close to an urban area, you can probably get free OTA HDTV. Since cheaper HDTV tuners cost around $300 or much more, that makes the $1000 price look even better. While it is very unusual to have integrated HDTV tuners in TVs, that is soon to change. It is my opinion that the parts for integrated HDTV tuning are probably $50 at most, so more and more TVs will start having integrated tuners (finally!!!) It is also my opinion that HDTV tuners are ridiculously overpriced at $300 for a cheap one by Samsung. Unfortunately there is no way to output the HDTV of this TV to another source, such as a projector.

If you have any questions, just let me know and I’ll try to get the answer.

http://www.zenith.com/index.asp?url=.../ad_C34W23.asp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 458 Old 10-29-2003, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Just a quick comment about why I chose a 4:3 set. The 16:9 picture on this set is 29" diagonal, which is virtually the same as 30" 16:9 TV. But the 4:3 picture on this 32" TV is much bigger than the 30" widescreen. Since the vast majority of my TV viewing is still 4:3, this is the compromise I made. Watching letterboxed 16:9 has never bothered me that much. Wider formats, like 2:35, I'll watch with my projector.

Here is the breakdown of my HDTV venture.

Infocus X1 - $900
Screen and cables - $100
MyHD PCI tuner - $290
Zenith 32" HDTV - $999

So I spent about $2300 and I am able to record and watch two different HDTV channels at the same time. This compares favorably to one big 65" RPTV and is about half the cost of a decent plasma screen. Plus, in about five minutes, I can pack up my projector and bring to my brothers house. Try that with either RPTV or plasma! And I don't have a huge TV dominating my front room.

Just a little justification of my purchases, which I think is a good way to go for many people.

BTW, now that it is nightime in Seattle, I am more impressed with the picture of this Zenith. The HDTV looks especially excellent.

Sorry to be the first to bump my own post. I don't like to do that usually.
post #3 of 458 Old 10-29-2003, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting discovery on the digital cable tuner of this TV. I decided to let EZ scan find all digital cable channels. It found about forty extra channels on Comcast here in Seattle. Here is the very interesting part. It found the HDTV cable channels, including ABC, ESPN-HD and PBS. It also found a bunch of audio only channels and some other digital channels.

First impression is that OTA HDTV is better, but getting ESPN-HD without a tuner box is awesome. I hope the cable company doesn't start scrambling this stuff. After all, hardly anyone has digital cable tuners. I'm surprised I can get this.

Now I have to find how to enable OTA digital channels and digital cable channels simultaneously. If that is possible, this tuner setup is impressive.

If I can't have both enabled, I'll setup regular cable and OTA HDTV and only do the digital cable when there is something I want to see.

Update: Enabling OTA digital and cable digital is probably not possible. I think digital is either one or the other. ESPN looked OK for the basketball game that was playing, but not Monday Night Football quality.

BTW, SD digital cable channels didn't look as good as regular cable channels.
post #4 of 458 Old 10-29-2003, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

simmike,

I agree with the FPTV complimented by a monitor (ie direct view, rptv, computer display) approach. For HDTV I would recommend XGA or WXGA (if one can afford it) with a high contrast ratio for FP to maximize the benefits of HD resolution.

Did you measure the "effective" diagonal to be 31" on the Zenith? I guess I was expecting a full 32". Now I am wondering if other competing tubes are doing the same thing, sort of like PC monitors...

BTW I would use the Zenith's tuner for digital cable and the MyHD for OTA. Your not going to want to miss ESPN-HD Sunday Night Football!

TI Purepath Digital:
Quote:
An audio revolution from the source to the ear...found in $99 DVD receivers to audiophile-grade $10,000 audio systems.
post #5 of 458 Old 10-29-2003, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah the effective picture is only 31". There is a black bar bigger than 1/4" around the whole picture. I'm not sure how much the 36" version of this TV will be, but it will probably be worth the extra money.

I'll turn on the digital ESPN-HD as needed. It only takes about five minutes to reprogram the channels.

Now that I have two distinctly different HDTVs, the X1 and this tube TV, I can see that many of the problems like dark HDTV are also on this HDTV. But this smaller HDTV is more forgiving of flaws in the picture. My local PBS station is a good example. They multicast, so their HDTV has always been overcompressed, which really showed up on my big screen. But with this, the over-compression problems are harder to see and the picture looks awesome.

It does kind of bug me that I'm not allowed OTA and cable digital channels to coexist in one channel setup.
post #6 of 458 Old 10-29-2003, 09:36 PM

i just bought this tv. i first hooked up terk 25 antenna and it looked good. i then tried my regular roof antenna and it got an even better picture and signal. now i have a problem. i just put directv through the svideo. and quite frankly i'm not happy with it. it looks like a hazy film over the picture. at first i thought i got spoiled by the high definition picture but no, my new sony in my bedroom is looking better with the directv svideo hookup than the zenith. why?????
post #7 of 458 Old 10-30-2003, 01:16 PM

simmike - thanks for the review! The question for me is, jump on this 4:3 set with integrated HDTV, or wait until the 16:9 sets have built-in as well. I guess this depends on how long it takes for the manufacturers to get on the ball...and whether or not they jack up prices. As you say, if Zenith can include the tuner it CANNOT be that expensive.

Whats your viewing distance for the V37? Have you watched a DVD yet; and if so your thoughts? Is the 16:9 window within the set satisfactory? Thanks again!

Panasonic 50ST60 | Oppo BDP-103 | Marantz SR5008 | KEF KHT-3005 | BlueJeansCable
post #8 of 458 Old 10-30-2003, 01:21 PM

C34W37 34" 16x9 is scheduled to ship Nov. 21 with what is rumored to be a MSRP of $1,799. You can pre-order it off of a few websites for $1599.

There's also a C30W37 30" 16x9.
post #9 of 458 Old 10-30-2003, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by rossi46
Whats your viewing distance for the V37? Have you watched a DVD yet; and if so your thoughts? Is the 16:9 window within the set satisfactory? Thanks again!
I sit about six feet away. Part of my problem with the smaller picture is my glasses prescription needs to be adjusted. With my projector this isn't a problem. So I can't be too critical of the "smallness" of the TV picture. Like I said in the review, the 16:9 picture measures 29" diagonal, so it is darn close to a legitimate 30" widescreen, and the 4:3 picture is much bigger than the 30" widescreen. I have looked at a couple of DVDs, but right now this is connected via S-video, so I haven't really tested this too much. It looked good. I will do the majority of my DVD viewing with my projector, so this isn't as important to me.

The HDTV picture is really good. And even straight cable is OK. I like the TV.

I notice that congress, or someone official, mandated including integrated HDTV tuners in all TVs by a certain date. The TV manufacturers were whining about cost, quoting $300 per TV. The officials who approved this rule, said they suspected it might cost $50 for integrated tuners. I think it might even cost less. It is really a shame that "compatible" and "HDTV ready" TVs were allowed to prosper.

If it really cost $300, there is no way Zenith could sell this TV for $999.
post #10 of 458 Old 10-30-2003, 02:38 PM

The rule says that half of all 36" and larger sets sold in '04 must have integrated tuners. Who knows when smaller sets will have HD tuners built-in?

One last question: does the top of the set seem able to hold a typical center speaker?

Panasonic 50ST60 | Oppo BDP-103 | Marantz SR5008 | KEF KHT-3005 | BlueJeansCable
post #11 of 458 Old 10-30-2003, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by galomyr
There's also a C30W37 30" 16x9.
Do you know how much the 30" will cost? :)

post #12 of 458 Old 10-30-2003, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by rossi46
One last question: does the top of the set seem able to hold a typical center speaker?
There is a flat section on the top that is about six inches wide. It is rounded in back, so the six inches doesn't go all the way across. I suspect most center speakers will probably sit there OK.
post #13 of 458 Old 11-03-2003, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

simmike,

Can you check if you can change the SCAN MODE in the user menu when using the RF input? I am hearing that the RF input is different on the 32V37 and possibly scans at 480i. You could try counting the scan lines I guess to see if it's 480 or 1080.

TI Purepath Digital:
Quote:
An audio revolution from the source to the ear...found in $99 DVD receivers to audiophile-grade $10,000 audio systems.
post #14 of 458 Old 11-03-2003, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by hardwired
Can you check if you can change the SCAN MODE in the user menu when using the RF input? I am hearing that the RF input is different on the 32V37 and possibly scans at 480i. You could try counting the scan lines I guess to see if it's 480 or 1080.
I couldn't find a "scan mode" option. Like I said, it is kind of dumbed down in the setup options. I've been reading other opinions of Zenith, and I would be willing to bet this doesn't really do 480i.
post #15 of 458 Old 11-03-2003, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

After using this for a week, I have to restate that the HDTV picture and tuner is excellent. DVD also looks good. Regular cable is OK, but probably not as good as a standard TV. The fact that the integrated tuner will work for digital cable HDTV is a plus for people who don't want to rent the cable company box. You won't get the actual digital lineup, because it is probably scrambled. But I think cable companies are going to keep HDTV of network stations (local OTA) unscrambled, so this will get basic cable users HDTV.

Stretching HDTV to 4:3 picture actually works OK. It does make everyone skinnier, but it is actually useable.

Another negative is the sound isn't the greatest. This is probably because I keep the volume lower then is optimal for this system. Neither of the two surround options worked that great, at least at low volumes. The "smart" sound setting, which is supposed to keep commercials from blasting louder than the regular show, works OK for the commercial part, but sometimes it kicks in for musical interludes of the regular TV show. I turned it off. Like I said, these problems are probably worse because I keep the volume low. What I would like to see is a way to adjust the surround volume independently.
post #16 of 458 Old 11-04-2003, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

simmike,

So their is no scan mode option in the user menu for any ntsc inputs? The V37 has this option except for inputs greater than 480i.

Zenith told me the sets do 480p and 1080i natively except for the RF inputs and said the V37 can display 480 INTERLACED, but I am reluctant to believe any of it at this point given their track record. I still suspect the V37 can display only 1080i and everything is upconverted to that.

Have you tried connecting your PC to the Zenith via DVI?

TI Purepath Digital:
Quote:
post #17 of 458 Old 11-04-2003, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by hardwired
Have you tried connecting your PC to the Zenith via DVI?
I don't have a DVI cable, so I haven't tried that.

Just from looking at the picture, I don't think this does 480i. I looked everywhere and there is no scan option. The only thing that sounds similar of velocity modulation VM. The manual is really unclear on what VM actually does, but I have it set to high.
post #18 of 458 Old 12-01-2003, 04:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have mine hooked up to my PC via monster DVI400 cable. I cant get it any higher then 720x480. Otherwise i get flickering. Im going to download powerstrip and try that out.

Optoma HD131x
Harman Kardon AVR 2650
post #19 of 458 Old 12-05-2003, 06:12 AM

have you had any more luck with powerstrip???
post #20 of 458 Old 01-16-2004, 06:06 AM

Based on simmike's review and other research. I got this a couple of weeks ago. I'm very happy so far.

The QAM tuner is nice because my cable co is only scrambling HBO and SHO, the other HD channels come through fine (Discovery, INHD plus several locals). It also picks up some SD digital channels that aren't scrambled.

OTA is good. I need to get a decent antenna b/c some locals aren't carried on cable yet. Seems like a common issue that there's always one more channel you want.

PQ is good. Compared to our 13 year old 27" set it's awesome. Turning down the color made it much better. Used a THX DVD to do some tuning and found the a little bit of picture is being clipped off on left, right and bottom. So I need to get a service call.

Tivo is good. My non-progressive DVD is great. Analog cable varies. Some channels are awesome others borderline, none worse than they were before.

Got my universal remote working last night. For the RS 15-2116 the code is 0178, which wasn't in the manuals. Cycled through the discrete codes and found that you can go straight to a particular input (e.g. go to DVI then back to CADTV) which I think simmike was complaining about. Also found that you can access some service menus using discrete codes. Be careful - just scrolling through some of the menus can wipe out your settings. Also if you're on Vid 1-DVI and press channel+ or channel- it takes you right back to TV so that may address some concerns about having to cycle through.
post #21 of 458 Old 01-17-2004, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
qqqq,

I have a C27V36 Zenith HDTV. I was under the impression that the only way to access the service menu was with a service remote. If you have any discrete codes that would help a zenith owner like myself get into the service menu, PLEASE POST IT ON THE FORUM.

I was hoping to get into the service menus of this tv to find out if there is a way to turn off the automatic compression of HD signals when fed to the tv.(ALA the jump fix on sonys)

Any other discrete codes would be great as well

Thanks
post #22 of 458 Old 01-17-2004, 11:40 PM

The magic service menu discrete code, for those of you with OFA or similar remotes, is...

(drumroll, please)

Note that there is at least one discrete code which will reset your TV, so do be cautious.

I was able to eliminate nearly all overscan on the DVI input, allowing me to use a GeForce 2 MX's DVI output with a standard DVI-D cable. I had to enable a tiny bit of overscan, or else the scaling hardware would potentially expose line 21 when stretching 1080i into 4:3 aspect ratio...

Also think I got rid of the red push...

And there was much rejoicing!
post #23 of 458 Old 01-18-2004, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Shroomus,
Please pardon my lack of knowledge here, but what is an OFA Remote?

What does the OFA stand for, and do you mean I can use the TV's Remote in order to get to the Service Menu.

A little more step by step detail will be greatly appreciated. Also could you give a more detailed description on what it is you changed to help improve your overscan issues and your possibly getting rid of red push.

Thanks in advance
post #24 of 458 Old 01-18-2004, 08:34 PM

OFA stands for One-For-All, it's a particular brand of universal remote that Radio Shack resells. It has a nifty feature where you can send discrete codes by number, and program arbitrary discrete codes to keys.

The four-digit TV code is 0178 as previously mentioned (Proton TV remote code, I think) and the discrete code that gets you into the service menu is 018.

I don't know if you can use the Zenith remote to get into the service menu, I doubt it.

Custom settings I used -- note that I don't have any real calibration DVDs or anything, so take with a grain of salt:

Raster,Center,H/V_Size
1. V-Position 27 -> 30 (note: big changes here tilt everything)
2. V-Size 29 -> 20 (eliminates nearly all overscan)
3. H-Position 36 -> 32
4. H-Size 52 -> 40 (eliminates nearly all overscan; note: values too small cause pincushion???)
5. UP-VLIN 0
6. LO-VLIN 0
7. Pin_Amp 39
8. Pin_Phase 29
9. Up_CPin 40
10. Lo-CPin 41
11. AFC-Bow 31
12. AFC-Angle 30

White-Balance
1. R-DRIVE 38 -> 31 (trying to reduce red push)
2. G-DRIVE 31
3. B-DRIVE 36
4. R-CUT 37 -> 31 (trying to reduce red push)
5. G-CUT 31
6. B-CUT 40
post #25 of 458 Old 01-18-2004, 09:25 PM

Thanks for the review. I've been trying to find a decent 32" 4:3 TV for my parents. I wasn't sure if I should recommend HD or not for them as they don't have any HD sources (except OTA). This Zenith seems to be a great option, especially since 99.5% of what they watch is [i]not[/] widescreen.

Are there any comparable 32" TV's (total width < 37.5") with a built-in HD tuner?
post #26 of 458 Old 01-19-2004, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

shroomus,
Thanx for your prompt reply to my OFA question and for your more detailed account of what you did in the service menu.

Any more forth coming information about things you have done in the service menu to help improve the quality of the picture on your zenith will be greatly appreciated.

Also, my biggest beef with my C27V36 HDTV Zenith, if you find out a way to turn off the auto compress feature(ARC) in the service menu(when it is fed a high def signal 1080i) please post it on the forum.

I have the Avia Disc for calibration and when I finally get into the service menu and do some calibrating, I'll be sure to post all my results here.

By the way shroomus, did you find out this code on your own or was it posted somewhere on the forum or some internet site?
post #27 of 458 Old 01-19-2004, 07:39 PM

beethoven:

As far as I know, there's nothing with an integrated HD tuner (especially QAM) for anything near the price. In fact, when I got this set, there was nothing 32" with or without integrated HD tuner that could touch the $999 price.

I agree with whoever it was that said that since the 16:9 picture is about the same size as a 30" widescreen set -- they're so short! -- there really doesn't seem to be any downside to getting this 4:3 set. That's especially true when your physical width is constrained by entertainment center dimensions.

STEELERSRULE:

Alas the Eagles apparently do not rule :-(
A prior post in this thread by qqqq revealed that the correct TV code set was 0178, and I knew that the OFA remote I have can send discrete codes, so I then proceeded to go through them myself. Stay away from discrete code 015, as it will nuke the settings in our set... there are discrete codes for the various video sources and aspect ratios I think, and a discrete power off code; I assume that there is a discrete power on code but I didn't feel like finding it.

Not sure if the C32V37 does ARC? I didn't see it in the service menu, but I didn't really look all that hard.

So far, I highly recommend this set for someone who wants HD but not to break the bank...
post #28 of 458 Old 01-19-2004, 08:56 PM

just want to say i have the Zenith C32V37 and this Television is amazing and by far the best of the bunch in the $1000 dollar Best Buy (899.99)
price range. The Tv is a 32 inch television equipped with a Faroudja Chip. I will say this is my 3rd HDTV purchase in the past 2 months I started with the Samsung model 32 inch TXN models and they are lousier then lousiest TVs stay far, far away from them they have way too many problems and for a tiny bit more you can get this Awesome 32 inch Zenith which looks way better and outperforms it in every way possible, The Zenith has a built in HDTV tuner, the Samsung models dont need I say more? 480p, 720p and 1080i looks simply breathtaking and intoxicating (the Samsungs dont even do 720p you get a flickering screen). You can Zoom in on all modes Yes even in the HD modes too. Tuning in to ESPN Basketball in HD this evening i tried to Zoom (even though the picture looks good in both 4:3 and 16:9) I still took it to the next level and zoomed in from a 16:9 perspective on 1080i and guess what no compression like in the Samsung models it centers it right in as if it were a true 4:3 picture simply amazing the other TVs dont even zoom in HD let alone Zoom from a 16:9 to make the picture 4:3 1080i Perfect with no loss kudos to Zenith! all the score and clock HUDS were completeley center in Zoom! WOW. The picture is clear and crisp even in regular analog and in non HD channels, this thing even has PIP that you can use in HD double WOW, none of the other models can brag about this feature as well as zooming in HD. For anyone looking to buy a HDTV get this one its the best one out right now for its price. Take it from me i went through 2 Samsungs already and wasnt near as happy as I am now, took me 3 tries but I got the right one in the end. I just dont want people to make the same mistake I did go with the Zenith you wont be sorry!!!!:D :D
post #29 of 458 Old 01-22-2004, 05:45 PM

Sorry for the delayed response.

Here's the list of discrete codes I have. It's not complete and may have some errors. Shroomus I thought it was 014 that caused the reset to default, but I may have been clicking too fast and didn't notice it. I don't want to try again to check.

AR = Aspect Ratio
SM = Service menu

009 AR - Set by Program
012 SM - Picture Check
014 SM - Reset to Defaults *****DANGER ******
015 SM - Reset to Defaults *****DANGER ****** ???
016 SM - Sound Check
017 SM - Tilt
018 SM - EZ-Adjust Menu
019 SM - In-Start Service Menu
025 Caption Setting
034 Input - Component 1
040 Picture Menu
053 Power
054 Sleep Timer
055 Audio Button (Caption Lang)
057 Mute
059 Input - TV, Video Cycle Button
079 Digit ? Or Channel Diplay
095 Info
098 AR - Zoom
103 Sound Menu
108 Input - Component 2
109 Input - Video 2
110 CATV
111 Input - Front Video
111 Input - Front Video
113 Input - Video 3
116 Digit 4
117 Digit 0
118 Digit 6
119 Digit 2
120 Digit 5
121 Digit 1
121 Input - DTV
122 Digit 7
123 Digit 3
126 DTV Signal Strength
133 PiP related
134 AR - 4:3
135 PiP related
137 PiP related
138 AR - 16:9
164 Digit ? Or Channel Diplay
167 Menu
171 Menu
173 Ch +
174 Input - DVI
175 Vol +
176 Off
177 Ch -
178 Input - TV, Video Cycle Button
179 Vol -
181 Ch +
183 Vol +
185 Ch -
187 Vol -
197 PiP related
200 Freeze frame
201 PiP related
203 PiP related
231 Input - Video 1
232 Input - Component 1,2, DVI toggle
245 Digit ? Or Channel Diplay
246 Surf
247 Last
253 Input - Component 1
post #30 of 458 Old 01-22-2004, 05:49 PM

shroomus:

BTW - thanks for the detailed service menu settings. I'll give 'em a try soon.
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page