Philips 30pw850H questions/comments - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 177 Old 04-19-2005, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I also see the "jailbars" mine appear to be a greenish color and arent really that apparent unless the scene is completely black or very dark...The only thing I've had problems with so far is getting my personal settings the way I think they should look....Here is what I'm using now, if anyone would share what they have theirs set at I would appreciate it.

Brightness - 40
Color - 40
Picture - 80
Sharpness - 70

Granted I'm sure that once charter gets their butts out here to setup my hd service I would be able to set these a little easier and more accurate, but with just regular digital cable the picture color looks a bit washed out and the color seems to be a bit off to me. Probably just my settings.(hopefully just my settings)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Darren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 177 Old 04-20-2005, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I've noticed with HD sources, the color is better and more saturated. On digital sources that are not hd, the color does seem a bit washed out.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #93 of 177 Old 06-02-2005, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypb View Post

I believe a lot of the Philips TV's suffer from this. IIRC it's referred to as "jail bars"...I'm sure if you do a search you'll come up with some hits.

I have a 30" Philips pw850 model #. And I can see banding of light/dark lines vertically....not sure if the horizontal lines are the same issue. But I THINK it had to do with the power supplies being weak ?!?!?

The Philips web site has a Service Bulletin about the Jail Bars problem. Here's the text of the bulletin. Sorry, AVS won't let me post the URL until I have 5 posts

Symptom:
A few of model 30PW850H using the EM1.2U AA chassis may raise the complaint of "Jail Bars" in all inputs. While mild, these bars for top to bottom on the left side are annoying.

Cause:
Ringing in the Horizontal (line) deflection circuit.

Resolution:
Install 4835 310 57628 kit. While not set up as a valid part number as of February 28 2004, it will be available soon

Applies To:
30PW850H/37A, EM1.2U AA

post #94 of 177 Old 06-02-2005, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's the link:
http://www.forceonline.com/products/...ProductId=5673

I wonder how I could get ahold of the kit mentioned? Anyone here an authorized Philips tech that could order the part for me?

You have to be a service center to get a login and password for their parts site.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #95 of 177 Old 06-16-2005, 12:35 AM

I had my TV serviced for the jailbars issue and when I got it back I noticed a few things. This TV was purchased from the Philips outlet store and is still under the 90 day refurbished warranty.

The jailbars are gone but I notice that the leftside of the screen is slightly darker than the right side. Makes me think that what they did to fix the problem was make the left side darker. There's also a dark spot on the lower left corner of the screen. Sometimes this spot shows up as purple, other times black. Also, when I turn on the TV, it no longer degausses itself. I don't hear the same noise I heard before the TV was serviced. Perhaps degaussing will fix the dark spot?

Has anyone gotten the jailbars fixed? And if they did, does it still degauss itself everytime it turns on? Do you notice if the left side of the TV is slightly darker than the right?
post #96 of 177 Old 06-16-2005, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

My tv used to have a purple blob in the lower left corner that would show up after 10 or so minutes of use. I would turn off my tv, then turn it back on and it would go away. Someitmes with my tv, i've noticed if i turn it off, then back on in a quick sequence, it will not degauss. I think the set needs to be off for a few minutes before it will degauss on power on. Its good to hear that the fix did indeed fix the jailbars. This makes me want to get the kit even more. If I get the kit, i'll report back with my results. If the kit make the picture darker, I'll decide which I cannot stand the most and stay with that. Installing the kit myself, i'll be able to revert back if i want to.

On another subject, i've got the service manual for this set, and untill now didn't really have a way to distribue the file. I've created a torrent file and as of right now, i'm the only seed. If others want this file, i'd ask that you keep the bit torrent client open so that you can seed the file as well. The torrent is attached as a txt file, so just right click and click "save link as" (for firefox anyways) and in file type select all and save it as a .torrent and away you'll go.

Ryan

EM1.2U AA Service Manual.pdf.txt 4.7880859375k . file

post #97 of 177 Old 06-16-2005, 05:15 AM

Ryan, you might want to give this guy a try

http://www.fixyourowntv.com/index.php

He can probably get you the kit and give you detailed instructions on how to do the install. His rates are more than reasonable for tech support.
post #98 of 177 Old 06-16-2005, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post

My tv used to have a purple blob in the lower left corner that would show up after 10 or so minutes of use. I would turn off my tv, then turn it back on and it would go away. Someitmes with my tv, i've noticed if i turn it off, then back on in a quick sequence, it will not degauss. I think the set needs to be off for a few minutes before it will degauss on power on.

I've had my set for a few weeks now and I've gotten the purple blob in the lower left corner twice as well. Is it something I should be worried about? I have my receiver about 6 inches below that spot, so I had figured I was getting some magnetic interference or something from that. Power cycling the set fixed it both times, and it hasn't returned since.

Thanks for the torrent of the service manual. When I get off work I'll get it started on my home machine.
post #99 of 177 Old 06-16-2005, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmotoy View Post

I've had my set for a few weeks now and I've gotten the purple blob in the lower left corner twice as well. Is it something I should be worried about? I have my receiver about 6 inches below that spot, so I had figured I was getting some magnetic interference or something from that. Power cycling the set fixed it both times, and it hasn't returned since.

Thanks for the torrent of the service manual. When I get off work I'll get it started on my home machine.

Count me in as one who has gotten the blob. Turning off the set does fix it. Haven't noticed the jail bars yet. Have had the set for almost 2 years.
post #100 of 177 Old 06-16-2005, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmotoy View Post

I've had my set for a year and a half and havn't seen the blob for about a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonnie View Post

Ryan, you might want to give this guy a try

http://www.fixyourowntv.com/index.php

He can probably get you the kit and give you detailed instructions on how to do the install. His rates are more than reasonable for tech support.

I'll look into that, thanks for the tip.

Ryan

post #101 of 177 Old 06-16-2005, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglywolf View Post

I had my TV serviced for the jailbars issue and when I got it back I noticed a few things. This TV was purchased from the Philips outlet store and is still under the 90 day refurbished warranty.

The jailbars are gone but I notice that the leftside of the screen is slightly darker than the right side. Makes me think that what they did to fix the problem was make the left side darker. There's also a dark spot on the lower left corner of the screen. Sometimes this spot shows up as purple, other times black. Also, when I turn on the TV, it no longer degausses itself. I don't hear the same noise I heard before the TV was serviced. Perhaps degaussing will fix the dark spot?

Has anyone gotten the jailbars fixed? And if they did, does it still degauss itself everytime it turns on? Do you notice if the left side of the TV is slightly darker than the right?

Service guy came out to the apartment today and opened up the set. They forgot to plug in the connector for the rotation coil and the connector for the degaussing coil was a little loose. It's all good now.

I'll also add to what I said about the darker left side. It's very slight and very hard to notice.
post #102 of 177 Old 06-16-2005, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglywolf View Post

I'll also add to what I said about the darker left side. It's very slight and very hard to notice.

So would you take the slightly darker side or the jail bars?

post #103 of 177 Old 06-16-2005, 09:53 PM

Definately the slightly darker side. You probably won't notice it at all. Jailbars show up too easily when the scene is dark and there's panning picture. You notice the stationary bars. It was worth the trouble to get it fixed.

I'm not saying that if people installed the kit they will have the same result as me. I do have a pretty old TV compared to a lot of people who have gotten refurbished TVs from the Philips outlet store.
post #104 of 177 Old 06-21-2005, 05:11 PM

I picked up this model at Walmart as an open box no return, as is, without a remote. I had the clerk plug it into a outlet and fire it up with a dvd player. It looked good so I figured what the heck, for $275.00 I've got a 2nd HDTV for the bedroom.

This was impulse buy. Had I read this thread and had the knowledge before hand, I probably would have passed this headache up.

At home I hooked it up to my dvd player thru component and fed it the AVIA disk. Wow, color and hue were right on, my Hitachi RPTV wasn't nearly as close unajusted.
Great picture from DVD, so far so good.

But.....

Problems.... It has the vertical jailbars on gray backgrounds but I don't really notice them with normal viewing that much. Just with AVIA and the gray fields for testing or static backgrounds.

Here's where I'm having serious problems, probably expensive problems.....

With CVI and AV4, or with only component inputs using 480p or 1080i the blue part of the signal is not present, I mean it is only feeding green and red with 480p or 1080i. So using a dvd player progressive output, or my Samsung HDTV box I only get green and red part of the signal displaying on the tv. When I set the DVD player, or the HDTV Box to 480i all of the signal passes correctly via component. Has anyone else had this problem and know what need done to solve it?

The last big problem is with feeding a 1080i signal. The right side of the screen has a 1 inch black vertical border displaying this.

I have a Philips universal remote to operate this thing. Has anyone had experience using one of these to get into the service menu?

This is a great thread, alot of useful information, forgive me if the answers are here or elsewhere, I'm still using the search to view the posts relating to this Philips TV.

Thanks

Angelo
post #105 of 177 Old 06-21-2005, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo M View Post

With CVI and AV4, or with only component inputs using 480p or 1080i the blue part of the signal is not present, I mean it is only feeding green and red with 480p or 1080i. So using a dvd player progressive output, or my Samsung HDTV box I only get green and red part of the signal displaying on the tv. When I set the DVD player, or the HDTV Box to 480i all of the signal passes correctly via component. Has anyone else had this problem and know what need done to solve it?

The last big problem is with feeding a 1080i signal. The right side of the screen has a 1 inch black vertical border displaying this.

This 1 inch black vertical border is probably just a geometry issue. You can probably move the picture over to cover this. My Samsung HDTV receiver has the ability to move the picture over in the menu. You might have that also. It could be that the TV's geometry is set right but the Samsung is off. Unless you have another 1080i source to check, I would just leave it and try to adjust the Samsung HDTV receiver.

I don't know about the color issue. I'm assuming when you say the blue part you mean the blue cable for component video which carries the difference of luminance and blue so the picture will miss the blue information (what used to be blue will show up as gray).
post #106 of 177 Old 06-21-2005, 07:16 PM

Uglywolf,

I have a samsung sir -t151. I don't believe I can center the picture via the samsung. I have not seen this option in the user menu.

Concerning the missing blue information via component with a 480p or 1080i source could it be possible that there is something in the service menu to address this? I am asking this because the blue information is there when the STB or DVD player is set to 480i.

Another question regarding this set... With the option in the user menu for I believe 480p or 1050i, I could be wrong with the terms, will the set itself take a 480i signal and turn it into a 480p for display. If so I could still use my dvd set at 480i and convert it to 480p with the set itself. I really don't see much difference when I use 480p or 1080i.

The more I think about it the more I am upset to have a HDTV that for some reason won't display a 1080i signal correctly. Well that's the gamble with store clearance such as this, you don't always have the necessary tools to adequately check it out before buying.

I may call a repairman to troubleshoot and give me an estimate, although I'm hoping someone may have an answer. Hopefully something is out of whack in the service menu and the blue signal can be activated in it,

I'll check the geometry issue if I can access the service menu with the Philips universal remote.

Thanks,

Angelo
post #107 of 177 Old 06-21-2005, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo M View Post

Uglywolf,

Concerning the missing blue information via component with a 480p or 1080i source could it be possible that there is something in the service menu to address this? I am asking this because the blue information is there when the STB or DVD player is set to 480i.

Another question regarding this set... With the option in the user menu for I believe 480p or 1050i, I could be wrong with the terms, will the set itself take a 480i signal and turn it into a 480p for display. If so I could still use my dvd set at 480i and convert it to 480p with the set itself. I really don't see much difference when I use 480p or 1080i.

I may call a repairman to troubleshoot and give me an estimate, although I'm hoping someone may have an answer. Hopefully something is out of whack in the service menu and the blue signal can be activated in it,

I'll check the geometry issue if I can access the service menu with the Philips universal remote.

Thanks,

Shouldn't this be under warranty? It probably is. All you need is the receipt. If it's under warranty, Philips will cover in home service. If they can't fix it in home, they'll pick it up and take it to the shop at their cost.

As for the using 480i and letting the TV convert to progressive, the difference is your DVD is sending out an analog signal and then the TV is converting that to progressive. If you set the DVD to progressive out, the DVD internally converts the signal digitally to progressive and sends it out. Quality should be better although it may not be noticable.

There are a lot of settings in the service menu for color. I don't know if that's the issue you have. It's best to have a service person take care of it. Have them fix the jailbars issue also. The same repair kit will fix the blooming issue. Keep in mind that there seems to be different settings for 480i, 480p and 1080i while some settings are shared between 480p and 1080i. It could explain why blue is there for 480i but not for 480p/1080i.
post #108 of 177 Old 06-21-2005, 07:55 PM

Uglywolf,

I will call Philips. It could be under warranty even though it is open box. The sales clerk at Walmart claimed it was a floor display and not a return. Yes, I'll definitely check this out.
It would be the best solution...
Blue component problem, jailbars and blooming.... may be repaired under warranty, WOW now that would make me a satisified Philips customer if they will stand by their product!

I'll report back if I have anything new.

Thanks,

Angelo
post #109 of 177 Old 10-18-2005, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
As the person who started this thread over a year and 1/2 ago (Jan or Feb 2004??), I figured I'd do some digging and throw another issue out there to those who've had the TV for awhile:

Just recently, while on the HD input (I have a D* HD receiver hooked up to that input) I started noticing a "throbbing" or "pulsing" effect to the picture. The sides would pop in and out....not bend (as I've had that issue before especially with intense whites--i.e hockey ice) but THROB or POP.The picture will look fine for 5 seconds....and then BOOM....move inward ever so slightly (but noticeable to your eyes)....and then 2 seconds later POP back out to where it was before. After another 10 seconds or so....BOOM it happens again. This goes on and on. But....it's only on the HD input. Not on the other component input (where I have a DVR hooked up). I *was* going to switch the wires on the back of the TV to see if it would happen when I hooked up the DVR to the problematic input and if the HD receiver picture would be fine on the other Component Input....but I haven't had the time to start manuevering all the furniture necessary to do that.

I know there were power supply issues discussed months and months ago (seems like eons ago in real time!). Has anyone seen this before? Or something similar in other CRT's?? Again, it's only on the HD input, not on the other component or the S-video input (that I tested). It's starting to happen with more regularlity now. So I'm almost expecting the TV to crap out anytime soon as this wasn't an issue a mere week and 1/2 ago.

The set is NOT under any extended warranty....and replacing it would *probably* be the realistic option....but I'm curious as to what the issue *may* be....or if anyone else has seen anything similar.

Thanks!
post #110 of 177 Old 10-18-2005, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

This thread has officially taken Philips off my list of TV's to consider..

I'm not an expert, take my advice at your own risk.
post #111 of 177 Old 10-19-2005, 10:30 PM

mine's been nothing but perfect since I got the original one replaced..
I shipped this TV halfway cross country on a comercial freight truck, simple wrapped in a matress egg crate and a couple of quilts, and it held up perfectly.
post #112 of 177 Old 12-13-2005, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypb View Post

....not bend (as I've had that issue before especially with intense whites--i.e hockey ice) but....

I always have the bending with even very light colors. Only notice the faint 'jailbars' on verrryy dark scenes. Is this tv worth fixing?
post #113 of 177 Old 12-14-2005, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldone01 View Post

I always have the bending with even very light colors. Only notice the faint 'jailbars' on verrryy dark scenes. Is this tv worth fixing?

I guess the million dollar question is: What's the "fix"? Do you have an extended warranty (or is it still under the original 1 year warranty)? Mine is out of warranty...I will have owned it for 2 years starting in February.

And, oddly, enough, the throbbing/pulsing I talked about a few posts us has disappeared over the last month.

Go figure....
post #114 of 177 Old 12-14-2005, 08:51 AM

Unfortunately, mine is out of warranty. I'm just curious as to if the jailbars & the bending are both power supply related & could be fixed w/the jailbar kit?
post #115 of 177 Old 12-30-2005, 06:58 PM

i just bought a refurb 30PW850H from the philips outlet last week. it was shipped from TX and it came in here in CA on the two days ago on the 28th. came with a wrong remote. how in the hell can they put the wrong remote with a TV set. i would think they would at least check to see if the remote work with the TV before they package it. talking about terrible service. i have been on the phone with customer service for two days. from all the readings, their customer service is one of the worse. didnt expect this from Philips. i thought they were more reputable than this. wasted about 2 hrs of my life on the phone with these people without a resolution. terrible. finally today i got a decent customer service. he put in an order for a new remote, but it will take 7-10 business day to get here. ouch....

luckily i got a DTV remote that is able to work on the Philips, but no screen size button. i have to use TV menu button to switch between mode. what a hassle.

im only using s-video and viewing 480i. looks ok. tested DVD movies. looks fine. tested dark scene movie like Underworld. i do not see the bars. my unit was made on April 2004. it was refurbished completed on 12-13-05. oh i do see some ghosting from the DTV feed. not sure if this is normal or from the TV itself, but it is not super bad where it is very annoying. and not on every channel.

i cant check the service menu setting. until i get my new remote. commonly, i have a 90 day warranty on this set. will get a 2 year extended warranty from warrantech.

this is my first Philips TV. will probably be the last. unless they practically give it for free. lol
post #116 of 177 Old 12-30-2005, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

on the 850h models, there is no screen size button. You use the left, right buttons to scroll through the sizes, so your remote can navigate the menu, then you can also change screen sizes.

post #117 of 177 Old 12-31-2005, 08:39 AM

thanks for the info oryan.

you would think they would have one. talking about a feature that is needed badly. well doing it via the remote will be a lot better than walking up to the TV and pressing the rigid big button ontop of the set.

anybody else recently got this refurbish 30PW850H99 ( actual model 30PW850H37A ) online? it was $359 with free shipping. did it arrived ok and did you have any problem?

i only see these models now 30PW8402/37B and 30PW8420/37B listed for $388 with free shipping.
post #118 of 177 Old 02-05-2006, 08:43 PM

Oryan, (or anyone else)

I just set up my hdtv yesterday just in time for the superbowl. while watching the game, i would see these translucent lines next to the players. Does anyone know why this happens? I tried changing the component cables to a higher quality Belkin Pure AV component cable and it still remained. Actually, it was worse with the better interconnects.

Any comments you guys might have is appreciated. Thanks!

Joe
post #119 of 177 Old 02-06-2006, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsforum2005 View Post

anybody else recently got this refurbish 30PW850H99 ( actual model 30PW850H37A ) online? it was $359 with free shipping. did it arrived ok and did you have any problem?

i only see these models now 30PW8402/37B and 30PW8420/37B listed for $388 with free shipping.

I got the 30PW8420/37B from Philips Outlet about a month ago. My only problem was that the shipping company apparently "lost" the shipment for a few days. When it arrived, however, the box was on its own palette, and the set was thoroughly padded. The set looks and functions like brand new. My only functional complaint is the power supply issue discussed on this board. Briefly, when a bright source like a sky is displayed, the sides of the image will pincushion in that area, due apparently to an inadequate power supply. That's only occasionally noticeable, however.

Since the TV's a refurb, and given the stories I've read about dealing with Philips customer service, I decided to get an extended warranty. I got a three-year deal from an online warranty outfit for $58, which is in line with the cost of the warranty offered by Sam's on a new 8420.

John
post #120 of 177 Old 02-09-2006, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, **FINALLY** I got my jail bars kit from a local tv repair shop. I had ordered it last summer/fall (can't remember its been so long ago) from a tv shop that would actually just sell me the part, and not require them to do the service. I'll take pics and post them when I get home. It is basically a few capacitors and other components and a new flyback transformer. I'll have to work up the balls to replace that one. I've got a friend that has done TV repairs for years, so I'll consult with him before I do anything.

I've actually not noticed the jail bars for quite some time. I'm sure they are there, just i've grown used to them. I'll have to consider if it is worth all the work to replace those parts or not.

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page