Philips 30pw850H questions/comments - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-05-2007, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I wish I could, but I only have the manuals for a couple of the CRT sets. I found mine on a dutch auction site several years ago. You could try searching the internet for a manual using the chassis number on the back of the set.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 10:10 AM

Liked: 10
I picked up a 34PW850H off Craigs List yesterday for $95 and as I suspected it has a bit of an issue.

When there is text on the screen it often has black lines across the screen through the text. This is only in 1080i mode. Most regular programming has no evident problems but especially in commercials and news programs when text is on the screen there are the black lines.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 02-02-2009, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim5506 View Post

I picked up a 34PW850H off Craigs List yesterday for $95 and as I suspected it has a bit of an issue.

When there is text on the screen it often has black lines across the screen through the text. This is only in 1080i mode. Most regular programming has no evident problems but especially in commercials and news programs when text is on the screen there are the black lines.

Anyone have any ideas?

I used to have my PC hooked up to the component input and was feeding 1080i. If the connector in the back of my PC was loose, I'd see horizontal lines that would start at some point in the picture and continue to the right. Adjusting the connector for a better fit, would usually solve the issue.

I'd try looking at the source/cabling. It could also be a solder joint that has gone bad on the input. Have you tried pluming the component leads into both CVI and AV4 to see if the issue follows the input?

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
Old 02-02-2009, 01:24 PM

Yes it occurs on both inputs, I assumed it was a bad component in the digital system.

I'll try changing the cables.

Occasionally when there is text and video in background, the picture also looks like it is rolling, i.e., there are two vertically compressed images on the screen, when the scene changes it pops back to normal.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:06 PM

First, let me say thank you a million times, thank you - to oryan_dunn, I recently tried to calibrate my tv and lost my defaults due to power failure (they were in an unsaved .txt doc) and I've spent the past few days reading through a few years worth of posts by you and have finally gotten my TV back.

Second, the solution to anyone looking to get rid of overscan in 1080i mode is you're just gonna have to live with it. I recently tried to alter the settings because I got an XBOX 360 and playing games sucks with this TV because sometimes valuable information is lost (such as how many stars I have in GTA) or I have to play in an inferior 480p (looks better than SD, but def. not HD)

Last, for anyone who is looking for it I have a .pdf version of the service manual (EM1.2U AA). I used it for the Philips 30PW850H, but it seems to also work with similar models. This file does not have the default geometry, widescreen, etc settings in it. Just so you know. Honestly, I was very disjointed because it doesn't really tell you anything that was posted more clearly by oryan_dunn, so just look at his post.

----------service manual link--------w-w-w-mediafire-c-o-m----
/file/iznezhrzmef/EM1.2U AA Service Manual.pdf
-----------------------------------
---sorry about the link, i just joined and can't post a link properly yet.

Oh, and if anyone has the official "factory defaults" for the 1080i geometry, I would greatly appreciate it if they were posted or mailed.

Final thoughts:

I kinda regret buying this TV. I really jumped the HD gun. no 720p (or 1080p for that matter). no dvi, hdmi, digital tuner... but then again I was the only one of my friends with an HD TV back in 03. (when it cost 900 bucks!)
If for some odd reason you're reading this forum and thinking about buying this TV: only buy if you want the minimum quality HD 'experience' and you're not expecting much.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:

First, let me say thank you a million times, thank you - to oryan_dunn, I recently tried to calibrate my tv and lost my defaults due to power failure (they were in an unsaved .txt doc) and I've spent the past few days reading through a few years worth of posts by you and have finally gotten my TV back.

When you say defaults, do you meant the default geometry settings in the service menu? I've had this tv for quite a while, and the geometry settings have been messed up for just as long. I have it in the bedroom, where the wife doesn't mind watching it the way it is in there.
I have tried a few times a long time ago to figure out how to reset them, but it is just too hard to figure out when every setting seems to effect something else.
If you know what the default settings are for the geometry, could you please post them?
TIA

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Old 02-04-2009, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Oh, and if anyone has the official "factory defaults" for the 1080i geometry, I would greatly appreciate it if they were posted or mailed.

Default geometry on a CRT may not be much better than what you have now. Since CRTs are an analog display, each one can vary, and that throws a wrench into "default" settings. I don't know if any exist, but you could look for a guide on adjusting a CRT computer monitor. The steps should be basically the same, whether you would adjust size or trapazoid first, or if you should adjust this before that, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspacelot View Post

Second, the solution to anyone looking to get rid of overscan in 1080i mode is you're just gonna have to live with it. I recently tried to alter the settings because I got an XBOX 360 and playing games sucks with this TV because sometimes valuable information is lost (such as how many stars I have in GTA) or I have to play in an inferior 480p (looks better than SD, but def. not HD)

I agree, this TV is fine for 1080i movies and TV, but really does suck for games. The horizontal overscan in 1080i mode cannot be adjusted. I even read through most of the schematics looking for an analog adjustment, and found none. There is a pot that is on the back end of the flyback, and I was thinking that might reduce the horizontal span, but it just moved the picture up or down. I was very disappointed. I've since moved on to a shiny new LCD for games. I do miss the black-levels and color reproduction this set can deliver though.

Quote:

Final thoughts:

I kinda regret buying this TV. I really jumped the HD gun. no 720p (or 1080p for that matter). no dvi, hdmi, digital tuner... but then again I was the only one of my friends with an HD TV back in 03. (when it cost 900 bucks!)
If for some odd reason you're reading this forum and thinking about buying this TV: only buy if you want the minimum quality HD 'experience' and you're not expecting much.

I don't at all. I know it was expensive back in the day, but I've got 6 years worth of HD viewing from it. I had HD at least 3 years before anyone else I knew.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Ok OD, thanks for the comments about the geometry. I do have a printout of the service manual on how to adjust it. It's just that there are SO MANY adjustments accross all the inputs, so it will take me a long time to get the job done. I would basically need a whole day by myself with no interuptions to get it done. With a wife, and 2 kids (2 yrs and 4 yrs old), I havn't been able to find that kind of free time over the last couple years
Maybe some day...

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
Old 11-22-2009, 11:58 PM

Anyone know what to do with ghosting on this tv?? I just got it off craiglist but it has a ghosting issue when gaming with component....anyoen know how to fix with service menu?
Old 11-25-2009, 09:47 AM

anyone? I have the service manual and have fixed everythign but ghosting....the ghosting only seems to appear on vertical lines
Old 11-25-2009, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Is the problem on all input or only a specific input? If it is input specific, then I'd look at touching up the solder joints on those inputs. Also, does it do it in all scan modes, or only one? Mine will have strange ghosting on a 1080i signal if the component connection isn't tight.

See just a few posts above:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post15716587

Old 11-25-2009, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulbreaker360 View Post

anyone? I have the service manual and have fixed everythign but ghosting....the ghosting only seems to appear on vertical lines

Do you have a link to the service manual?

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
Old 11-25-2009, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I've got several Philips service manuals, with nowhere to host them. If you've got somewhere to host them, I could give them to you.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post

Is the problem on all input or only a specific input? If it is input specific, then I'd look at touching up the solder joints on those inputs. Also, does it do it in all scan modes, or only one? Mine will have strange ghosting on a 1080i signal if the component connection isn't tight.

Its on a xbox 360 hooked up through component input...the ghosting mostly appears on white vertical lines such as the two vertical crosshairs of a gun...ill check how tight the connection is...any other advice?

also you hooked up your pc to this? how does it look and what resolution does it run on?
Old 11-25-2009, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulbreaker360 View Post

Its on a xbox 360 hooked up through component input...the ghosting mostly appears on white vertical lines such as the two vertical crosshairs of a gun...ill check how tight the connection is...any other advice?

also you hooked up your pc to this? how does it look and what resolution does it run on?

It's been a while since I had my PC hooked up to it, but when I did, it was via component from an ATI 9700Pro at 1080i. Back then, it was a black art getting the damn thing to work right. I think video drivers have been improved since then, but I haven't tried lately. When I had it hooked up at 1080i, text was so-so, but video was good. I don't think you could use it as a monitor, as at 1080i, pixels in the signal are smaller than the dot pitch of the tv.

I usually saw issues when the average video level of the scene was high, like on a mostly white scene, things would be more likely to ghost or have horizontal artifacts.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:18 AM

is there anything I can do about the ghosting, like the color or resonance options in the service menu?
Old 11-27-2009, 11:15 AM

beside the spammer anyone know if I can do anything with the ghosting?
Old 11-27-2009, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

For a proper picture calibration, you should have sharpness set at 0. Adding sharpness may make the ghosting more noticeable. Also, play with the contrast control to see if it affects the level of the ghosting. Other than those controls, I'd suspect a hardware problem of some sort.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:13 PM

ok I got the VGA to component cable....however what settings do I use with this tv??? Its not displaying any piture from the VGA
Old 11-30-2009, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

It takes more than a simple cable, unless your videocard has a specific cable that outputs a component signal. Otherwise, to go from vga to component for the purposes of a TV, would require a VGA-Component transcoder.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:49 PM

I have a brand new laptop--ASUS N81VP which has a Radeon 4650 with VGA and HDMI output.....cant I just use the VGA output?
Old 12-01-2009, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

No, VGA(RGB) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA and component(Luminance and the red/blue chrominance difference channels YPbPr) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compone...omponent_video are two different signals hence the need for the transcoder. Some TVs can accept an RGB signal over the three Green/Blue/Red connectors, but this TV cannot. Some laptops have a video output, for which you can buy the component adapter that will feed the YPbPr signal, but it won't use the VGA out.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I just uploaded the service manual to Google Docs (finally a way to host somewhat larger files).

EM 1.2U AA Service Manual [docs.google.com]

Old 04-06-2011, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Wow. Talk about going in the "Way Back" machine!

I wonder how many people still have this TV. I don't---I gave it to my neighbor about 3 years ago--but the TV is still chugging along. Serves it's purpose for him---an HDTV for his kids to watch in the basement with WII and Xbox hooked up.

The TV still has geometry issues as well as the jail bars....but only I notice when I go to his house...as I didn't poison his mind/brain about the TV's issues when I gave it to him. The TV was just sitting in my basement collecting dust so I figured I'd give it to someone who could use it.

Serves it's purpose I guess....
Old 04-06-2011, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypb View Post

Wow. Talk about going in the "Way Back" machine!

Funny!

Yeah, I still have this TV in my living room (I've since moved and now have a nice setup in my basement). Anyways, I did fix (well, improved) the jailbars with the kit from philips. The only thing that still really annoys me is that you can't adjust the horizontal overscan in 1080i. For TV, it's not too much of an issue, but for videogames, it's bad. I think you can't show more than about 85% the width of a 1080i image, and with all the widgets in the corners in video games, you just can't see them. Just recently, I've narrowed down that the overscan problem isn't a physical issue with the set (I originally thought I couldn't adjust the physical horizontal size, you can), but I think the video processor is the one chopping the 1080i signals. I've never found an adjustment to fix it.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

So... I'm not sure why I didn't figure out how to disable the scan velocity modulation earlier, but since I had been looking through the service manual the past couple days, the solution really just jumped out at me. It's really kinda sad that I've watched this set all these years with it enabled, when it is such an easy fix. It is very obvious if you just look at the schematics how to disable it.

Anyways, here's what a checkerboard pattern looks like with SCAVEM enabled (notice the black squares are connected, and the white line on the left of the white squares):

To disable, remove the back cover of the set. Then, on the CRT panel (connected to the neck of the tube), there is a small 3-pin connector on the bottom towards the left (when looking from the front). Just disconnect that connector. This will just disconnect the SCAVEM coil.

Here you can see that the 3-pin wire connects to the white coil around the neck:

And I just tucked the cable under a clip:

And, here's what the same pattern looks like with it disabled (notice the white square corners touch, and much less of a white line on the left of white squares.):

I'm sure that this would have been much more useful many years ago, but, oh well. Really hard to believe that I didn't see this earlier.

While I was in there, I also fixed an issue with my AV1/CVI component input. That input was really sensitive to the signal quality, and low quailty cables or a component selector/receiver would degrade the 1080i signal just enough to cause a really weird picture tearing. Looking at the schematics, the CVI input has a longer path inside the TV. There is a jumper cable from the main board back up to the AV4 board. The AV4 board selects between CVI and AV4 and sends the output to the video processor. I touched up the solder points for the connector for this cable on both the main board and the AV4 board, as well as the AV1/CVI port connectors. This seemed to make the threshold for the tearing less (I only saw it once for a split second during my test material, where I'd normally see it all the time).

Now, the only thing I think I'm missing on this set is HDMI, and I'm not sure I want to spend $200 for an HDFury. I also need to go back in and recalibrate the geometry and the grayscale, but for now, it's looking pretty good.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Reading back through this thread, I don't think this was ever answered, but for anyone else who wants defaults, I posted mine way back.

Now, this will truly be a trip in the 'way back' machine...all the back to the year 2003... "In the year two-THOUsand.... In the year two-thousAND!!"
FINALLY!! Philips Service Menu Information [archive.avsforum.com]

PS. Man-o-man, what the @#$% were the website designers thinking with that color scheme?

EDIT: DOH! Looks like I didn't list my default 1080i settings. Hmm, I know I had them written down somewhere.