Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, if I've got this right:

STB, standard 4:3/16:9 squeeze, connected via DVI
TV, set by program
DVD prog scan, 16:9 or squeeze if avail., connected via component

Now, will this set up get me anamorphic mode on screen from DVD source or will I have to switch the aspect ratio on the TV as someone was suggesting above? Sorry if I can't follow the logic here. I'm also doing layout on a newsletter in MS Publisher *ick* and I think my brain has upconverted to mush. :p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2004, 08:58 PM

Sorry watching Conn vs Duke.:)

That is my setup exactly.

For Overkill, I have a 5 disc Sony DVD player and I hit the ratio button for 16X9 when I'm on Component 2 with the DVD player. Should be good to go.

L8R,

Old 04-04-2004, 07:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Sounds good. Now, I wonder what's going to happen if I decide to connect my new DVD player via DVI, which I most likely intend to do. I wouldn't think any of this would change.

I did exactly what pgran did here, too. It does look better, and my sister was thrilled, because before this, she was quite disappointed with how her DVD's looked. Again, she's using a non pro until we get our new units. So, this was great! Thanks! :) :) :)

March Madness: Is it me, or is almost always the same teams every year? LOL! ;)

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:43 PM

Unfortunately, the Pioneer 563A does not seem to have a DVI connection. I may look around a little bit more before keeping it, but I'd have to add a splitter in order to accomodate the t.v. Wonder why no one is making a unit with more than one DVI input?

In other news, BB goofed on my delivery today. :mad: They showed up with only the t.v. stand and said that the t.v. wasn't in the warehouse but I could have it on Wednesday. This after they gave me a 7:30 to 9:30 delivery time, brutal enough any day but esp. so after the time change. I'm pretty frustrated. Someone called to apologize and I asked to have it tomorrow only to be told they're already booked up. You'd think they would take care of their own errors (turns out all the Zenith's being delivered were still at the local store and had not been picked up) before handling other deliveries! Naturally, I asked for 'inconvenience compensation' and will find out tomorrow how they're going to handle that. Never hurts to ask. :)
Old 04-04-2004, 08:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This is why I never buy my electronics from a place like that. I like to go to dedicated electronics dealers, like Tweeters, Sound Advice, or any place like that. I guess you couldn't find a Zenith dealership nearby either?

Sorry about this. I hope you get everything in good stead.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:29 PM

No Zenith dealer nearby. I agree with you generally, but they were offering 2 years, no interest financing which made the purchase more feasible for me. The sales guy I developed a relationship with also threw in the shipping at no charge. I'm sure they'll make good (eventually). Maybe I can talk them into crediting back to the internet price and call it even.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:37 PM

Yeah,

you're right I'll bump the C32v37 settings thread.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:52 PM

So, now that I've got the thing in the house (am still amazed by the depth of color), I've got the set up we've been talking about. My DVD player offers the following settings when talking to the t.v.:

4:3 letterbox
4:3 pan & scan
16x9

It also offers the option of 'progressive' vs. 'interlaced'.

Tried the 4:3 letterbox and the 16x9 settings. The 16x9 is clearly better and results in little to no cropping of the image, whereas the 4:3 letterbox did. Also, setting to progressive is better than interlaced, but this would follow as the t.v. is progressive scan.

Just a confirmation of info. above and FYI for anyone with the same player (Pioneer 563A).
Old 04-11-2004, 07:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Sounds good. Leave the DVD at 16:9. Just for laughs, and it should work, see what happens to that picture when you toggle the Zenith's "Set by Program" and "16 X9" option setting. It should be the same, meaning, I am expecting the Set by Program to work, and you never have to think about it again.

Enjoy! :)

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Let me add kind of a curiosity:

How's come the smaller Zenith's say they have a Faroudjia chip built in, but the larger ones like the c32v37 here, don't. Supposedly. Go to their site and see what I mean.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Old 04-11-2004, 04:22 PM

You know, I was curious about that too. Couldn't figure out why they would not have put the better chip into the higher-priced/higher-end models. Go figure.

On another note, cable was installed today and I'm not 100% happy with the HD PQ. Am noticing some motion artifacts I wasn't expecting, very similar to what you might see on an LCD screen. I didn't notice this at BB via whatever feed was going into the Zenith. Otherwise it's pretty good, though as expected, the analog channels are unbearable. The digital channels are better, but worse motion artifacts than HD.

Comcast brought the Moto 5100. I went into the set-up menu and have the following options:

TV: 16.9 or 4:3 letterbox, or 4:3 pan/scan
Component output: 1080i, 720p, 480p, or 480i
4:3 override: 480i or 480p

Right now I have it set at 16x9, 1080i, and override 480i.

What does the override do and where should I have it set? What about those component output settings? Does this mean that theoretically, I could improve the PQ by changing that around based on the signal I'm getting?

Also, could we clarify whether it's better to run the DVI from the STB to the TV or not? Seems like there is some conflict on that one. Right now, it's going through component cables as the Comcast tech said they were out of DVI cables.

Anybody out there ever try a video scaler/de-interlacer with a CRT to see if analog cable improves at all?

Thanks, as always, in advance.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:26 PM

Did some checking on the Moto 5100 thread and think have answered all my questions above related to that. Found quite a lot of useful info also on DVI vs component. It seems that it's six of one, half a dozen of the other between them. So I guess it's stick with what you can live with easiest. It would also seem that Motorola (in addition to actively searching through the forum here) is working to improve analog PQ via firmware updates.

Now, after trying a query or two in the search field I couldn't come up with any useful results so I'm going to go ahead and post this question though I'm sure it's been addressed somewhere already:

Can the C32V37 save user settings from input to input? Because the Moto 5100 and potentially the broadcast itself impart different raw qualities to the picture than say, a DVD, I now need to change the picture settings I calibrated with the AVIA disc to compensate. (There is noticeable increased red push through the STB.) I would hate to have to keep changing them around depending on which input is active.

BTW--I don't have a computer at home so can't go back and forth between the t.v., associated manuals, and this forum when working on issues. :)
Old 04-11-2004, 07:28 PM

Q--been meaning to ask you if you've got the cable feed split between RF and component so that you can watch analog vs. digital channels in their best resolution. If so, how would I go about doing that?
Old 04-11-2004, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

The TV has different settings for each input (comp1, comp2, dvi, etc...), but if you're running multiple sources through a switcher or receiver all into one input then they'll share. Got that?

As for cable splitting, buy an RF splitter or something like that and run one feed directly into the TV and the other into your cable box. Then you can compare.

For example, I find that the analog channels straight from the splitter to the wall actually look sharper than the same channels from the digital cable box (although I rarely go that route, mostly because the channel numbers are totally different and I don't feel like memorizing two different sets of channels)
Old 04-11-2004, 09:52 PM

I can verify that there are different settings for each input. I have the Pioneer STB and can't speak to the Moto box. But, I didn't realize how poorly my STB converted HD until I did a split screen with the OTA feed. You may find that a majority of your artifacts are related to the components that your STB are using converting your various signals to the output you chose in the setup menu. Best way to tell is invest about 20 bucks in a set of rabbit ears and check out the quality of the OTA feed.

Thanks,

Old 04-12-2004, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pgran
Q--been meaning to ask you if you've got the cable feed split between RF and component so that you can watch analog vs. digital channels in their best resolution. If so, how would I go about doing that?
I just got that $12 PIP cable splitter thingie from Radio shack. Real easy.

I think I have noticed, too, that the STB's picture quality, while very good, does show a difference vs. directly, although I didn't find the differences to be earth shattering.

Jon and I have the same STB. Hey John! I hear that Scientific Atlantic 3250HD box is new and is out. You know if TWC has any? Maybe we should upgrade to a better HD box!

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:28 PM

Q,

Couldn't take it anymore after watching the Masters this weekend. Put a call into TWC here in Columbus from work today. I have a service visit scheduled for Friday at noon. The artifacts and general quality of the Pioneer is just way disappointing. I did ask if there were any other HD STB that they had or if there was a firmware upgrade for the 3510. No to both questions. I'll keep everyone posted about the outcome of the visit Friday.

P.S. The CSR I spoke with said that the Pioneer is the only HD STB they are giving out at this time. They aren't giving the Scientific Atlanta out to customers here in Columbus any longer
Old 04-12-2004, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Wow, I haven't noticed any of the problems you're having and I have the 3510. I've used component and DVI (yada yada yada) and haven't seen these problems. Could be the quality of your signal or something? We'll see what the tech says.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the answers all. I *duh* realized when I got home last night that there were indeed different setting via input. Sorry for wasting your time! Sometimes I get the trigger finger to ask before I can get home and check it out myself.

As for the signal quality component vs. DVI, somewhere in the Moto 5100 thread there are a couple of posts which describe what the outcome was using either. The bottom line seemed to be that DVI yielded a softer picture, but fewer motion artifacts while component yielded sharper picture and some motion artifacts. I think one person said that the DVI input also caused the picture to seem more pixelated, but don't quote me on that. Could be STB related but I do have the latest version with all the firmware upgrades.

Might try the splitter route and see what happens.

Oh, and that dreaded vertical bar..... Saw it right away on HBO last night. But I then realized I had also not adjusted the video settings. When I turned the contrast and brightness down to proper levels, I couldn't see it anymore.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Jon, see if you can track down info about this Scientific Atlanta 3250 HD box. I Googled that and it's supposed to be forthcoming from a lot of cable companies.

You and I have identical service, and I don't have the drastic issues you seem to have, although I'd say there's a slight drop off in quality between STB picture vs. straight from the wall picture. Again, barely noticeable.

pgran, the splitter was only about $12. If you like sports, you'll enjoy that convenience right away. Can't hurt!

The Pioneer box I have is the 3500...not the 3510. Hmmmm...the plot thickens...

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:53 PM

Indeed. Folks on Comcast have been complaining about the new Moto 6200 over the 5100. Think they were supposed to be identical except for firewire capability, but......
Old 04-13-2004, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I am displeased to report that I also have the reather loud chirping from the TV when viewing a 720p broadcast, independent of the STB.

What the heck is that?

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Oh, and that dreaded vertical bar..... Saw it right away on HBO last night. But I then realized I had also not adjusted the video settings. When I turned the contrast and brightness down to proper levels, I couldn't see it anymore.
No, it's still there. You'll see it again. I did the same as you, since the set is brighter with the 16:9 sqeeze on. It worked for a little while, but I soon noticed it again. :mad:
Old 04-13-2004, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, the vertical bar and the rather lourd chirping at 720p independent of the STB are two issues that need to be dealt with. Quickly.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:19 PM

kevlo9,

My Standard Menu Settings (post service menu fixs):

EZ Picture: Off
Contrast: 51
Brightness: 61
Color: 44
Sharpness: 39
Tint: G 1
Color Temp: Warm
Z-View: On

Let me know what you think and your settings.

Thanks,

Old 04-13-2004, 09:25 PM

Mine are a little different...

Contrast-45
Brightness-32(differs with the 16:9 squeeze on/off)
Color-36
Sharpness-40
Tinit-Red 1
Color Temp-Warm
Z View-On
VM-Off

I used the Sound & Vision setup disc.

Since I used some of your settings in the service menu I do notice a difference in picture quality and the RED PUSH is dialed down. GOOD WORK!
Old 04-13-2004, 09:27 PM

haven't had time but has anyone checked the sony thread re: the same vertical bar issue? wondering what the update is there. where's our trusty Zenith tech guy?

kevlo9--honestly, i haven't seen it since turning the brightness/contrast levels down. will look for it tonight.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:30 PM

Quote:
i haven't seen it since turning the brightness/contrast levels down. will look for it tonight.
If you can't see it anymore, GOOD FOR YOU! Once you start to see it again, it will start to drive you nuts. If you look for it you will see it again. Try not to look. :)
Old 04-13-2004, 09:31 PM

Q--someone else complaining about chirping at 720p. Don't know if I saw that thread in one of the Zenith threads here or somewhere else.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:32 PM

kevlo---am afraid...... :eek: