post #181 of 405 Old 08-15-2004, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by raeshao
Anyone find that the silver paint on the bottom section of the remote wears away a little too easily? We've had the zenith since May, and the bottom corners and sides are turning a white color where the paint has worn away. Yes I'm nit picking, but it does seem strange that wear and tear is showing so quickly.
I think you are kind of nitpicking. That is the section of remote that rests directly against the palm of your hand. Especially in summer, it is going to get a lot of moisture in the form of sweat. I have an excuse since I hold my remote quite often when I exercise. I'm not bothered by this, as I would be way more concerned anything else on the remote wearing out, such as the text. The rest seems to be holding up just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 405 Old 08-16-2004, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone else noticed where local HDTV channels seem to be cutting off the top and bottom parts of the broadcasts? I see this mostly on commercials, sometimes on sports broadcasts (the scores on the top of the screen are cut), and never on DVDs. I tried adjusting the horizontal and vertical settings in the service menu but no luck. Anyone??

It's the same 'ol he FED, she SED.
post #183 of 405 Old 08-16-2004, 08:07 AM

Just an FYI,
I stopped by Bestbuy on Friday and saw that they lowered the price significantly, it looks like they're trying to get rid of their stock. I can't remember the exact price, but it was less than 750.
post #184 of 405 Old 09-08-2004, 10:03 AM

So has anyone found a solution for (slight) horizontal pincushioning? The service menu has a specific entry for vertical pincushioning (PIN_AMP), but not for horizontal. UP_CPIN and LO_CPIN stretch or contract the top and bottom corners of the picture, but do not remedy concavity in the top-middle and bottom-middle.
post #185 of 405 Old 09-08-2004, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone notice the slight distortion that runs horizontally across the screen right at the middle point? I only see it when watching SD TV, so it could be my cable box.
post #186 of 405 Old 09-09-2004, 04:51 PM

Is there a way to input the discrete codes using a Radio Shack 5-in-one remote (15-2103)? I'm experiencing extreme overscan and I'm trying to adjust the cropping through the service menu.
post #187 of 405 Old 09-10-2004, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

C32v46 and 47's out yet or a date on them? Sounds like they're getting ready to make room for them...

My c32v37 remote is still in perfect condition, btw... :p

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #188 of 405 Old 09-24-2004, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jgs9455
Has anyone else noticed where local HDTV channels seem to be cutting off the top and bottom parts of the broadcasts? I see this mostly on commercials, sometimes on sports broadcasts (the scores on the top of the screen are cut), and never on DVDs. I tried adjusting the horizontal and vertical settings in the service menu but no luck. Anyone??

Has anyone else noticed this? Anyone - please help!
It's starting to annoy me. Is it the broadcast channel not handling it correctly? If it is my tv, what setting in the service menu should fix it?
It does not happen on DVDs.

post #189 of 405 Old 09-27-2004, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Have you attempted to correct the overscan issue? I'm taking an educated guess here, but I bet the c32v37 has separate overscan settings for each input (I say educated guess because the color settings are different for each input, but I haven't specifically checked overscan on each input).

It may be that you fixed the overscan for the input that your DVD player is hooked to (using a calibration DVD), but not for the built in tuner (or cable box input - depending on your set up). You might have to go back into the service menu while on that input and play with the overscan setting. It won't be as easy to fix, since you cannot use the DVD to fix your built in tuner settings, but you should be able to eyeball it with good results.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

PBX in a Flash user since 2012

post #190 of 405 Old 09-27-2004, 05:41 AM

Thanks for your reply.

Well the problem for me at least when I enter the service menu is that it always goes to one of the regular TV channels while you are changing the values. I don't have cable so this is a problem. There doesn't appear to me to be a way to switch to a DTV channel while adjusting the service menu. I now have the first two vertical values set at 29, but I might be cropping on the bottom now. Sheesh!! I'll keep playing with it.

post #191 of 405 Old 09-27-2004, 11:42 AM

I forget who said this but.. "You can set a Blue,Red or Green Filter in service menu 019 code, 018 code is for Over the air only!"

So 018 I think is only for cable, digital cable, and OTA digital. For component, dvi, etc etc you need to use 019. I found a setting in 019 That I think goes right after the red push it's called "Red offset" under " AD9883A" I set it to about 49-51 when it's default is 37. It gets erased everytime I change away from component 1. Oh well.

Chris
post #192 of 405 Old 09-27-2004, 12:15 PM

Has anyone put something together, like a FAQ, for our beloved Zenith service menu?? Is there somewhere I should look for this??

post #193 of 405 Old 11-23-2004, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I find that I still have that damnable chirping at 720p. Did anyone figure out the mystery to that or how to get it fixed?

Also, is the native resolution 720p or 1080i? I think it's 1080i...

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #194 of 405 Old 11-23-2004, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.

Well the problem for me at least when I enter the service menu is that it always goes to one of the regular TV channels while you are changing the values. I don't have cable so this is a problem. There doesn't appear to me to be a way to switch to a DTV channel while adjusting the service menu. I now have the first two vertical values set at 29, but I might be cropping on the bottom now. Sheesh!! I'll keep playing with it.
I think you'll have to break into the service menu for your cable box. You'll need to tell the cable box you have a 16:9 tv (even though you don't), and then set the 4:3 override to 1080I. This should squeeze everything down into the viewing area.
post #195 of 405 Old 11-23-2004, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.

Sorry, I meant the 4:3 override should be set to 480I.
post #196 of 405 Old 11-23-2004, 02:47 PM

Don't know if I've posted this already, but I can see only half of the scroll bar on channels like CNN or MSNBC. Any thoughts? I've tried adjusting everything I can adjust. Interestingly, it also seems to be tilted. Using the 'tilt' feature in the Zenith menus, I got it pretty even, but why should the screen be tilted off center in the first place? It's only noticeable when watching something like CNN with the scroll bar as you can see the letters dipping lower as they move across the screen.
post #197 of 405 Old 11-23-2004, 05:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Q of BanditZ
I find that I still have that damnable chirping at 720p. Did anyone figure out the mystery to that or how to get it fixed?

Also, is the native resolution 720p or 1080i? I think it's 1080i...
:p

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #198 of 405 Old 11-23-2004, 05:25 PM

Quote:
:p
1080I is the native resolution on the Zenith. As for the chirping.... when are you hearing it? Which stations are broadcasting in 720p?
post #199 of 405 Old 11-24-2004, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

720p is Fox and ABC HD. Chirps like hell, regardless of volume of TV. The sound is NOT coming out of the speakers and is constant and incessant.

I'm using the coax cable from wall direct to TV, so this is straight up HD Tuner in the TV and a raw signal. No STB's or boxes of any kind.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #200 of 405 Old 11-24-2004, 09:41 AM

Q,
I called Zenith back in May, before the 90 labor warranty was up. They gave me the number of a repair shop here in town. I called them, and they sent a man out. Right off the bat, I could tell this guy had no experience whatsoever with an HD set. He could hear the chirping on the 720P station (we only had one at the time). Said he would go back to the shop, contact Zenith and see what to do.

About two weeks later, they called back. They said Zenith had never had this trouble reported to them, and that it was probably caused by the station sending the 720P signal. They did offer to replace something in the set (sorry, can't remember what it was). I decided to let it go. I was much more concerned about them appearing to know nothing about HD sets, and I didn't want my Zenith set to be their "learning lab".

No question, the chirping sound is annoying, but I've gotten good at tuning it out. My wife has never really noticed it, so at least I'm not getting it from that side!
post #201 of 405 Old 11-24-2004, 12:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Alright, so obviously I'm not crazy. My people here are very competent. I may just fire him off a quick phone call about it and see what he knows. Again.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #202 of 405 Old 11-24-2004, 07:01 PM

Quote:
720p is Fox and ABC HD. Chirps like hell, regardless of volume of TV. The sound is NOT coming out of the speakers and is constant and incessant.

I'm using the coax cable from wall direct to TV, so this is straight up HD Tuner in the TV and a raw signal. No STB's or boxes of any kind.
Q--My sub-par cable system does not offer Fox in HD (nor TNT!), however I do get ABC. But I have no chirping via STB connections. Why are you running it straight from the wall, just curiously? I thought you were full-on with digital cable, etc.
post #203 of 405 Old 11-24-2004, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pgran
Q--My sub-par cable system does not offer Fox in HD (nor TNT!), however I do get ABC. But I have no chirping via STB connections. Why are you running it straight from the wall, just curiously? I thought you were full-on with digital cable, etc.
Where IS the sound coming from, btw?
post #204 of 405 Old 11-25-2004, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

1.) Sound seems to be coming from somewhere in the back of the TV itself.

2.) The cable was too expensive. We said the hell with it when the rebates ran out and got rid of all the STB's, too, so we could bring the costs down. I have a thread in the DBS area and HDTV hardware area about this and my plans to jump to satellite.

I remember when I was using an HD STB, the other problem a bunch of us had was a scrolling, vertical white line going from right to left via component 1080i broadcasts. That never got resolved, either, really. Now it's a moot point for me.

I wonder if I'll see that again if I get HD with D*. I will really be annoyed if I see that again.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #205 of 405 Old 11-25-2004, 02:43 PM

Quote:
1.) Sound seems to be coming from somewhere in the back of the TV itself.

2.) The cable was too expensive. We said the hell with it when the rebates ran out and got rid of all the STB's, too, so we could bring the costs down. I have a thread in the DBS area and HDTV hardware area about this and my plans to jump to satellite.

I remember when I was using an HD STB, the other problem a bunch of us had was a scrolling, vertical white line going from right to left via component 1080i broadcasts. That never got resolved, either, really. Now it's a moot point for me.

I wonder if I'll see that again if I get HD with D*. I will really be annoyed if I see that again.
Was the chirping there via STB? I think I read somewhere in the thread titled 'vertical white line' that it was present on both cable and satellite. You might want to search that thead again and see.
post #206 of 405 Old 11-27-2004, 07:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Was the chirping there via STB? I think I read somewhere in the thread titled 'vertical white line' that it was present on both cable and satellite. You might want to search that thead again and see.
That thread is so old, and if I remember, huge. How am I ever going to find all that? If I remember correctly, back when I was using cable STB's for the HD, I still was getting the chirping. This TV, for whatever reason, really hates 720p and hates 1080i from a third party source like an STB.

I have NO white lines of any kind with a 1080i straight up via the coax cable as is. I have no white lines even with DVD players upconverted to 1080i. There's just something about a "real" 1080i source via a third party STB that this TV simply doesn't care for. The white line only occured using component video, btw. DVI cleared it right up. 720p chirp was existent regardless of any scenario.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #207 of 405 Old 11-27-2004, 04:02 PM

Q--you should be able to run a keyword search with multiple search terms to find the most relevant info quickly in that thread.

I have not had or noticed chirping of any kind. What I have noticed when watching ABC-HD is that sometimes the audio and video are out of sync and occasionally when there are two audio tracks broadcast simultaneously, that you can only hear one. Example--during an episode of Lost about three weeks ago I could hear the audio for the ambient noise (ocean waves, etc.), but not the dialog. Seemed to clear up by switching channels and coming back.

Do you know or have you heard of the problem I'm having with part of the screen being cut off at the bottom? Only bothersome when watching CNN.
post #208 of 405 Old 11-27-2004, 05:56 PM

Anyone else seen an occasional fade to a redish purple tint that on this TV? Doesn't happen often, but I have seen it with every input... Everything goes darker and redish purple, then comes back to normal. Could be the green gun fading out occasionally? What would cause that?
post #209 of 405 Old 11-27-2004, 06:07 PM

Finally have my set tweaked to the point it looks good on almost amy input.. even have most of the geometry issues worked out. Has only taken me 9 months!

Set really can do a spectacular job when tweaked..
TOO BAD Zenith did such a lousy job with the defaults.

Anyone interested in seeing the Service Menu the settings I'm using?

For people using an ATI card to connect(component) to their set.. the latest drivers(think 4.12b) and CCC have a 1360x1024(says 60Hz but doubt that..) mode that has perfect 4x3 aspect and looks fantastic when zoomed to full screen. Great for picture slideshows and DVD playback. Now use that instead of a modified widescreen 1080i modes
post #210 of 405 Old 11-28-2004, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Do you know or have you heard of the problem I'm having with part of the screen being cut off at the bottom? Only bothersome when watching CNN.
pgran - I have mentioned this issue many times. I bet it can be fixed in the service menu, but it is such a hassle to work with. I know when I find a offending program in DTV and go into the service menu to fix it, the tv automatically switches to analog tv. This makes adjustments very hard.

I have tweaked my set to where it works most of the time, but then a few commercials will be cut off at the top and/or bottom. I guess the advertiser hasn't made their add 16:9 DTV compatible and is running out of spec? Because if I switch to 4:3 it looks ok.....not worth it to me for some crummy ads.

Anyone got a better idea?

Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page