Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #181 of 189 Old 03-24-2004, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I wonder if that technician ever saw the models from Panasonic and Fujitsu for the past 2-3 years, I somehow doubt it. Ask the many actual users of plasma display at home who have used them for 3+ years if they have had those problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 189 Old 03-24-2004, 07:12 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Joxer
I wonder if that technician ever saw the models from Panasonic and Fujitsu for the past 2-3 years, I somehow doubt it. Ask the many actual users of plasma display at home who have used them for 3+ years if they have had those problems.
Yes he has--I mentioned the Panny 37" that I was thinking of getting and he quoted me the model number and features, and said they were breathtaking when they are new. We didnt discuss Fujitsu.
post #183 of 189 Old 03-24-2004, 07:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Interesting. In over two years of constant attendance on the plasma forum, I have only heard reports of "faded" looking plasmas in regards to older plasma models and or plasmas in industrial use (i.e. ones that are on most of the time, such that the life-span has been effectively shortened).

There are reports in the flat panel forum from members who've put heavy use on their plasma for three years or so, with no visible difference in picture quality. One person did report some visible wear on his four year old plasma, but it was something like a first generation plasma...when they had waaaay shorter life spans.

As has been mentioned, the major manufacturers put the lifespans of current models up to 60,000 hours. It's been hashed over in the plasma forum, but those in the know (like rogo) point out these estimates are based on industry-standard, solid methodology for calculating phosphor life-spans.

Take it for what it's worth. Myself, I don't worry about it. Even IF a shorter life-span were the case for plasma, I'd taking living for a slightly shorter time with the image I do want over a longer time with the image I didn't quite want. (Hell, just getting a 42" plasma makes me want to upgrade to a 50" one when they become cheaper).
post #184 of 189 Old 03-25-2004, 07:54 AM

The newer plasmas may not have dimming problems like the first ones, but there is a widespread public perception that dimming is a problem--whether it really is or not.

If the next generation of DLPs--particularly 1080p and xhd3 models can solve some of DLPs' problems--then DLP may be able to tout only changing a bulb against plasma. While this may not sway plasma lovers it may sway people who believe the myth of plasma dimming.

While it has problems, RP CRT is by far the best value of any of the technologies. For $2000 you can swing a 51-inch and a calibration. Given a dark room and the perfect sitting position--you simply can't get that value from any other technology.

I think demand will remain heavy through 2006 as more and more people--especially Joe Six Pack--buys TVs transitioning to digital. I believe 2007 will be the year when the bottom falls out on prices. I know some here at the forum think it will happen before then, but I think it will take that long for all the new plants in the world really get humming--CRTs will be on their last gasp--but at LOW prices which will help bring the other technologies down in price. Mighty Intel will also be a player. All the competition--just think how good a picture plasma and DLP will have by then--will mean price paradise for the consumer!
post #185 of 189 Old 03-30-2004, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Been a while since I browsed this forum (thanks to work, et al). I spent a good 2 hrs reading everyone's responses today. I am going to wait a while till Sony and the rest of the gang come up with the better tvs this summer and hopefully prices come down too

Till then, what do you think of this tv? It's a Zenith

I can just imagine what would happen if one fine day a tv-witch or hometheater-witch came and replaced all the expensive CRTs, DLP, PLasmas, etc with something like this

Have a good day!

Morten.
LL

-----------------------------------------
May the fertility of Sumaca swell your coconuts!
-----------------------------------------
post #186 of 189 Old 03-30-2004, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

WINNER!!!! LMAO!!! :)

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #187 of 189 Old 03-30-2004, 08:06 PM

You know, you do get all that extra image area where the top and sides bow out beyond the corners. So . . . um, does that mean that this set can be considered ESTV (Extended Screen TV)??? :D :D :D
post #188 of 189 Old 03-30-2004, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Morten,

As Yogi used to say "it would be deja vu all over again!":D...I can actually remember one of those in my parent's living room when growing up w/Tubes. I sure miss those Sat. morning episodes of Sky King, Rin Tin Tin, & the Lone Ranger.
post #189 of 189 Old 03-31-2004, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 259
*Rich peeks in*

"My, this thread is still alive? Go thread go."

*Leaves quietly...*
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version