Vertical bar on Zenith C32V37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 257 Old 03-08-2004, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I noticed a FAINT vertical bar moving across the screen left to right last night when watching the Sopranos on HBO HD. It was really noticable during the dark scenes and not very visable during the light scenes. It sounds like the same issue that some are having with the sony sets. I noticed that it went away when I changed the output on my STB from 1080i to 720p. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it a TV issue or my STB? I haven't really noticed it before last night and I've been watching ALOT of HD programs. I was also wondering if it was just an HBO HD issue? My STB is the Motorola DCT 6200.

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 257 Old 03-08-2004, 11:42 AM

Yes its there but it only happens with the Motorolla Boxes!! And it is still there with 720p you just cant see it that good and its just not as much noticable. I know for a fact that everyone has it that owns the Motorolla boxes and anyone reading this might want to check this out to confirm this!!!

PEOPLE DONT REALIZE YET BUT WHEN THEY READ THIS THEY WILL!!! THEIR ZENITH C32V37 EITHER THEY ARE BLIND OR JUST ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION OR DONT WATCH THAT MUCH HDTV, BUT NEVERTHELESS ITS THERE AND VERY VERY ANNOYING!!! EXUSE MY YELLING

Heres how to see if your TV is affected!!!

Tune in to a High Definition channel broadcasting High Def like Hbo or Starz and Power off (just press power nothing else but you must be tuned to a HD Channel like INHD or INHD2 etc) the cable box. You will definetley see what we are talking about, Now turn on the cable box and you can look close and still see it especially at night and during darker scenes see it scrolling from left to right (YES DURING MOVIES AND EVERYTHING 1080i), I had Comcast come over to take a look at it and they said its definetley not there box, They claim its the TV, But the weird thing is it only happens with the Motorolla boxes, I can play DVDs in High Def ands Xbox in 1080i and its not there at all!!

I suggest we all call Zenith just like the Sony guys did so we can get this fixed!!! :mad:

This is totally ruining my Loveley picture!
post #3 of 257 Old 03-08-2004, 11:50 AM

Well heres and update I contacted Zenith via their 1-800 number and talked to this nice lady and she knew exactly what i was talking about and knew the Forum too lol!

I guess everyone does indeed have this problem with the C32V37, I will tell you more as new details arise!

They are sending a guy to do a in home fix which is great man props to Zenith!
post #4 of 257 Old 03-08-2004, 12:11 PM

So they're watching us...................
Hmmm............................................

Build an Intel LCOS set before the collge bowl season starts this December!
Sorry, couldn't resist:)

And this is only with the Motorola set top boxes? Anybody have this problem with the Pioneers? I personally don't see a place where you can lock in the Hi-Def display like has been described with the Motorolas.
post #5 of 257 Old 03-08-2004, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Just got off the phone with Zenith and the lady that I talked to had NO CLUE what I was talking about. She told me to switch out cable boxes. She said that if I get a service guy to come out and he finds nothing wrong with the set I'll have to PAY! WHAT TO DO? Is it a problem that is fixed with switching out boxes? Or should I go ahead and have a service guy come out?
post #6 of 257 Old 03-09-2004, 04:21 PM

Yep its the TV and i cant believe more people are not seeing it, I know you guys see it , the only way to get this fixed is to let Zenith know, Ive made them very aware of this issue and they have had numerous complaints already about it!
post #7 of 257 Old 03-09-2004, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

I only really noticed it watching HBO HD and I've been watching TONS of HD. Now that i've noticed it...it's driving me CRAZY!

I'll be calling my local Zenith service center tomorrow.
post #8 of 257 Old 03-10-2004, 01:06 AM

Dont let them tell you its the cable box!! its not ive had 3 replaced with the same thing already
post #9 of 257 Old 03-10-2004, 05:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What's involved in fixing this thing? Now I'm going to go look and see if I see it...

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #10 of 257 Old 03-10-2004, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Just got off the phone with my local Zenith service center...the guy ALSO had no idea what I was talking about! :mad:

I'm wondering that if they take it, will they be able to detect the problem without the cable box? Also if they take it and find nothing wrong will I have to pay???

They are coming out tomorrow to pick it up and take it in the shop to look at it. This sounds like it's going to be a BIG MESS!
post #11 of 257 Old 03-10-2004, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

<sweats nervously>

I am going to go check my TV now for this thing...

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #12 of 257 Old 03-10-2004, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Ok. Checked it.

I did precisely as was described above. I think if I use my imagination, and jack the brightness to 100, I THINK I saw the faintest hint of a line somewhere...but other than that: Perfection. No worries! :)

I'm not 100 percent convinced that it's a TV problem in all of these cases here... We'll see...

I wish you all luck with that...

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #13 of 257 Old 03-10-2004, 11:26 AM

Q of BanditZ I am sure you have it as well, actually I am almost Positive everyone who has the C32V37 has it. Sony has had the same propblem and I believe it is a QAM tuner confliction!!!

Luckily I caught this before my warranty expires!
post #14 of 257 Old 03-10-2004, 11:42 AM

*****BREAKING NEWS******

The Tech just called me today and He said he just got off the phone with the Zenith Tech at their Main Factory!!!! Evidently they are very aware of the confliction they have issued a bulliten recently about the problem and have 2 parts from Zenith on order. Zenith has put together 2 parts to fix these symptoms

Zenith Techs told him the problem should be fixed with 2 parts on the SSB (Small System Board) This problem is the exact same problem the Sony XBR910s were having.

The Tech told me its a simple fix and takes about an hour and its all done IN-HOME :D KUDOS TO ZENITH ABOUT THE FAST FIX AND REPLY, Luckily I had a good minded Tech that was smart enough to touch base with the Zenith Techs before taking my TV in for a waiting game!

Kevlo9 dont give up your tv man thats a big mistake evidently the repair shop thats in your area they reffered you to are clueless.

Ask him to call the Zenith Techs and inquire about the recent Buliten and Fix to the SMALL SYSTEM BOARD, The fix is all done in home and parts will not be availiable till middle of April man hate to see you go without a TV so long when its a simple in home fix.

Evidently so many people are having this problem that they are backlogged! Hope this helped my fellow Zenith owners!
post #15 of 257 Old 03-10-2004, 11:42 AM

My wife and I just bought a C32V37 last week (in no small part because of its great rep on this site), and Comcast set us up with a Motorola 6200 yesterday. Basically, we love the set, but last night we noticed the white bar during the Sopranos. To my eye, the problem seems less pronounced today, so I don't know if it is a specific issue with HBOHD. I haven't seen the problem on another channel yet.

I've emailed Zenith (wanted to try that before the expected hell of 1-800 numbers), and am waiting to hear from them.

Reading the relevant thread on the similar problem with the Sonys, the diagnosis there was:

"Its the horizontal deflection circuit getting coupled into the video
signal. In the 1080i case they typically differ in frequency by about 1
cycle per second - hence the moving bar across the screen. For other types
of inputs (480i, 480p, 720p) the frequency difference between the
horizontal scan and the video sync is much larger (about 2.7kHz for 480i
signals). In that case, the coupling is still there but its effect is
essentially invisible."

And many people were able to fix it by adjusting a setting in the service menu. Obviously, I don't know if it's the same issue with the Zenith.

Hopefully, we can resolve this soon, as it is otherwise a really great TV.

Trying to break bad hobbits ...
post #16 of 257 Old 03-10-2004, 11:49 AM

The problem is on any 1080i channel, You wont see it with regular TV or Digitial, Only on High Definition channels!!!

Its there Its Blatant and its annoying!!!

if you have a motorolla cable box you will see what im talking about if you tune into INHD or INHD2 then power down the CABLE BOX but leave the tv on you will see a black screen with the white line scrolling accross. Its there during anything that is 1080i and much more noticeable with darker scenes obviously since its white!!!

PROPS TO ZENITH FOR ISSUING A BULLITEN AND GETTING THIS FIXED SO QUICKLY!:D
post #17 of 257 Old 03-10-2004, 12:01 PM

Yup, I just double checked it (again), and it is there. With daylight in the room, it is much harder to see (perhaps fiddling with brightness/contrast would make it easier).

Trying to break bad hobbits ...
post #18 of 257 Old 03-10-2004, 12:04 PM

The reason why so some people are saying they dont see it is because they propbably dont watch HDTV cause its there, Your not gonna see it with white scenes, But darker scenes YES its there!
post #19 of 257 Old 03-10-2004, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Is it just with motorola boxes? I'm, probably getting a Pioneer CADTV box in the next week or so. Anyone notice it on that?

Also, if I do ave the problem, who do I call to get it fixed?
post #20 of 257 Old 03-10-2004, 01:12 PM

The Problem is Not isolated to Motorolla boxes, its anything connected to componnent and recieving a 1080i signal. But its more fluent in Moto Boxes thats for sure.

Just call Customer service if your under warranty even if your not because this is a serious issue!

Zenith has already Issued a Fix and a Bulliten, 2 Parts need to be Upgraded in the "Small System Board", If your Tech was smart he would touch base with the Zenith Techs to find the FIX!

Dont let them take the TV cause all this is done in home
per your warranty, its a simple 45 minute replacememnt of the Small Board.

the Sony people were having the same problems read here to get a idea of what we are dealing with: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=190083
post #21 of 257 Old 03-10-2004, 01:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'll get on this immediately. Thanks!

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #22 of 257 Old 03-10-2004, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info. Once I have a DV box I'll look specifically for this problem. (Obviously I can't call them with a problem I don't yet have!)

For comparison, anyone inputting cable with DVI? Any issue there?
post #23 of 257 Old 03-10-2004, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I am straining my eyes like hell. I have Contrast and Brightness at 100 right now. I am watching INDHD and then turning just the cable off. I am not sure exactly what I'm supposed to see...but I'll be damned if I can see anything real noticeable one way or the other.

Since I just got this TV precisely two week ago..could it be possible that my c32v37 has already been...corrected?

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #24 of 257 Old 03-10-2004, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Q of BanditZ
has already been...corrected?
Was that a reference to The Shining ? If so, nice. :D
post #25 of 257 Old 03-10-2004, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

;) ;) :D

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #26 of 257 Old 03-10-2004, 03:42 PM

QofBanditZ do you have a motorolla cable box???

1. IF so then hit power to power down box (on the box not tv) now quickly hit menu and make sure it says 1080i and not 720p or 480 if not change it to 1080i cause thats where its supposed to be after your done hit power to power on the box.

2. Now Tune to INHD1 or 2 and Turn off Cable box (only cable box not TV)

4. look at the black screen you will see a white vertical line going from the west to the east direction.

This is the line we are talking about that is noticable during dark screens even with the cable box on .

Note: this only happens on HD channels when a station is broadcasting in HD meaning 1080i and it is very annoying when watching tv in the dark especially!!

Your not gonna see it on light scenes with alot of white in it cause the line is white!

Wait till it gets dark and watch tv with the lights out and you will be very MAD!!!:(
post #27 of 257 Old 03-10-2004, 07:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have a Time Warner HD box courtesy of Pioneer. I can't see anything, however, maybe the DVI output that I am currently not using would show it?

I tipped of my Zenith dealer and he's going call the techs like you did. Basically, if he uncovers something, I'll have the update done just for the hell of it, to avoid any rude surprises.

It's night, pitch black dark, and I did exactly what you said here with my box. I have it connected with Monster component cables.

I turned the box off after a few minutes on DISC HD and stared at the black screen for probably two minutes straight.

There was no movement of any kind. I even turned contrasts and brightness up after this two minutes and waited another two minutes.

I do see what I would consider normal, unmoving, "blacker" faded type vertical lines that do not move that I think are just...background signal or something that nothing can be done about.

My TV is performing flawlessly. I swear. I would see this thing if I had it, I can gurantee it. I had several family members also verify this for me.

I am not doubting that the problem exists and that some of you may have it...but maybe I dodged a bullet here.. <shrugs>

Oh well...I'll get it taken care of anyways. Can't hurt. ;)

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #28 of 257 Old 03-10-2004, 07:45 PM

Well if it aint broke dont fix it. Like I said it exists mostly with Motorolla, Dish 6000 amd Sony HD200 boxes so if you have a Pioneer box then you probably wont be experiencing the issues!

It wont hurt to get the fix in case you happpen to get another companys box! But hey you got a clear picture so why fix;)
post #29 of 257 Old 03-10-2004, 07:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'll keep an eye on it for the next couple of days... ;)

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #30 of 257 Old 03-10-2004, 08:23 PM

I would not necessarily get the fix done if you are not experiencing any problems. I had previously purchased and returned a Sony 34HS1510 due to the scrolling bar problem. The problem was especially noticable using the DVI connection . The "fix" wasn't really a fix at all. Sony just rerouted the 1080i signal bypassing all signal processing. For me this resulted in a much softer picture with less brightness and contrast. It just about made the DVI connection useless. I have Cox cable which uses Scientific Atlanta boxes (Model 3250).

In a way I am glad this thread came up at this time. I was getting ready to purchase this set, but I will put that on hold for now until we have some answers as to what the "fix" will entail and how (or if) the fix will affect picture quality.

By the way, I did notice several "open box" units at Best Buy when I was there this week. This is probably a tip off that the problem will occur with the Scientific Atlanta boxes as well (Cox is pretty popular for HD services here, as they charge no extra other than box rental of 9.95/mo for the HD channels-except for Discovery HD which is $5)....

Just my .02. I have read that many that have the Sonys are satisfied with the fix-it just didn't work out for me.......

Let's hope this gets resolved soon and that Zenith offers a real "fix" rather than just a workaround like Sony..........

Keith
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page