JVC AV-34WP84 1500i technology - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #121 of 143 Old 06-14-2004, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll be interested is knowing what daytime settings you come up with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 143 Old 06-14-2004, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

I've been playing with DVE over the last few days - I was unable to get all the colors exactly like it seemed the instructions said to. I got close.... I'll have to check my numbers against yours.

Has anybody found any info on the service menu (I can get in, but don't really know what to mess with from there). I too noticed the pin cushining and overscan. Despite all that, the picture is awesome (especially when the Lakers lose in HD)

Thanks for your inputs! :)

Who is the more irrational, the man who believes in a God he does not see, or the man who is offended by the God he does not believe in? -Brad Stine
post #123 of 143 Old 06-15-2004, 06:08 AM

Hi guys,

I've been dipping in and out of the forum as I too, try to decide on which 34" screen I'm going to buy.

So sorry if this sounds like an old question but: did somebody say that JVC are discontinuing their 34" CRT line?

J
post #124 of 143 Old 06-15-2004, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

There have been several posts indicating that JVC is discontinuing this model and will not introduce a follow on. I don't remember if there was any official notice from JVC.

When I bought mine at the Good Guys last weekend, all the local (San Francisco Bay Area) stores only had floor models and there were none in the warehouse that serves them. They said they were expecting more in a week, but they did find one new in the box at a store about 100 miles away. Since I was skeptical that they really would get more in a week and didn't want to wait, I had them put it on hold and drove to pick it up myself. This may or may not mean anything, but it could be an indication the supply is starting to dry up.

If you go to some of the "best price" type web sites, you will see that some of the places that once carried this model now list it as out of stock. There are still a few online places listing them as in stock, the cheapest being consumer-direct.com.

With all the new lower priced 34" models coming out this summer, it seems likely that this JVC cannot continue to compete at it's current price point.

John S
post #125 of 143 Old 06-15-2004, 09:34 AM

And, many of the new offering will include digital tuners, I suspect.
post #126 of 143 Old 06-21-2004, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OneArchitect
I'll be interested is knowing what daytime settings you come up with.
I finally had a chance to try calibrating with AVIA during the day time this weekend. Here are the settings I came up with. Note that we have a lot of glass and no light control. The room was pretty bright but no direct sun due to the overhangs. The brightness is probably a bit too high for artificial lighting at night. I was surprised that I had to go lower on the Detail in Standard mode versus Theater mode, but that is what I got.

Standard Mode Settings for Day Time
Tint: 00
Color: -04
Picture: +05
Brightness: +05
Detail: -20
Color Temp: Low
VSM: Off

These settings look way to bright in a dark room. They almost hurt your eyes from 7 feet. But we just switch to the Theater mode and settings in the previous post when we turn out the lights. A nice option instead of playing with the settings constantly as we did with our old TV which only had one setting mode.

John S
post #127 of 143 Old 06-30-2004, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I remember others asking about the service manual for this set. I sent JVC an Email and they provided a toll free parts order number where I could order one. I called and ordered one today. It was very quick and easy. It comes on a CD and the price is only $15 plus shipping and taxes, which came to about $22 total. If you want one, call 800-882-2345 and follow the prompts to get to Parts ordering.

John S
post #128 of 143 Old 07-02-2004, 11:26 AM

I guess I've had my L'Art Pro for about 6 weeks now. Considering getting DVE and maybe the service manual on disk (thanks for the info). Budget is tight. I may try settings per jschefdog

I did spring for a new remote though...Theater Master MX-500...not ready for RF Remote System yet...will arrive in about a week.

Attached is a photo of my (much modified and expanded) home entertainment center with the tube. I run a Samsung TS-360 tuner (no DirecTV HD subscription as of yet).

I appreciate all the good info found here.

Have a Happy 4th!
post #129 of 143 Old 07-02-2004, 11:31 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally posted by OneArchitect
...Attached is a photo of my (much modified and expanded) home entertainment center with the tube.
What photo ? :D

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #130 of 143 Old 07-02-2004, 11:43 AM

Good question!
LL
post #131 of 143 Old 07-05-2004, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I got the service manual CD for this TV. Using it I was able to reduce the overscan and clean up some of the minor geometry issues (pincushion in the form of bowed vertical lines). I was able to reduce the horizontal overscan to about 3-4% before I started seeing issues on the sides of the screen. I set the vertical overscan to 2-3% even though it could go lower with no apparent issues. This was enough to see tickers and other info at the bottom of the screen, but still close enough to horizontal to keep the aspect ratio correct.

The manual contains a lot of info, but there are only 9 settings that affect the geometry. If you just want to clean up the geometry getting the manual is probably overkill, so I am posting the info here. If you want to change the white balance or other color settings, then it's probably worth buying since there are a lot more settings.

If you just want to reduce the vertical overscan so that you can see the bottom tickers it is pretty easy, there is only one setting you need to change and it doesn't seem to require changing other settings. However, if you don't also change the horizontal it might make the aspect ratio far enough off to be noticable in normal viewing.

If you want to reduce horizontal overscan it is trickier since the horizontal size setting changes the width of the center only and warps vertical lines. So if you change horizontal size you must also adjust 1-4 other controls to make vertical lines straight and vertical again.

The manual describes using a signal generator, but you can make these settings by viewing the overscan and cross hatch patterns from Video Essentials or Avia. If you don't have these you might try using the widescreen circle test pattern from a THX certified disk (usually under Setup). If you just want to adjust the vertical size to see tickers, you can tune to a channel that has them.

Here is how to adjust the geometry (at your own risk).

The manual recommends the following settings before making adjustment.

Video Status - Standard
Tint, Color, Pict, Bright, Detail - 00 (Center)
Color Temp - Low
Dig Noise Clear - Off
Natural Cinema - AUto
Bass, Treble, Balance - 00 (Center)
AHS - OFF
BBE ON
Aspect Ratio - Full

For geometry adjustments I don't think all of these are necessary, but you should set Aspect Ratio to Full and probably turn off Dig Noise Clear. You should also adjust the Tilt from the user menu if your picture has any Tilt before starting.

To enter the service menu, make sure the two switches at the top of the remote are set to TV and VCR. Press the Sleep Timer button and while the screen displays zero seconds simultaneously press Display and Video Status. You should see a numbered menu appear on the screen. To leave the service menu or go back up a level, use the Back button.

Press the 1 key on the number keypad to enter the Picture/Sound settings.

Use the Channel Up or Down keys to scan through the available settings. You need to find the D01-D14 range of settings. You can hold the keys to scan quickly until you get close.

Before you change anything, I would recommend that you write down all current settings from D01 to D15. You won't need to change all of them, but just in case you accidentally do you will be able to get back to them if things get messed up. I wouldn't recommend messing with any settings not listed below unless you know what they do.

The settings you need to adjust picture geometry (Deflection Settings) are:
Code:
D01 - v.SIZE   - vertical size
D02 - EW       - pincushion (straightness of outside vertical lines)
D03 - H.SIZE   - horizontal size
D05 - V.LINE   - vertical linearity (top and bottom line spacing equal size)
D06 - V.CENT   - vertical center
D07 - EW.TRAP  - trapezoid (angle of outside vertical lines)
D08 - BOT.CORN - adjust vertical lines bottom corners only
D09 - TOP.CORN - adjust vertical lines top corners only
D14 - H.CENT   - horizontal center
To change any setting, use the Vol +/- keys. Note that you must press the Muting button to save each setting that you change while that setting is active. Otherwise the changes will be forgotten as soon as you leave the service menu or press some other remote buttons.

The basic procedure is to set the Vertical Size, Center and Linearity (if necessary), then set Horizontal size and center. If vertical lines at the right and left don't look straight and vertical after this, start with EW to make them as straight as possible, then use EW.TRAP, BOT.CORN, and TOP.CORN to fine tune.

I was never able to get the geometry perfect, but it was much improved and good enough for me. At least the side image edges of the Regular aspect ratio no longer look curved.

Here are my before and after settings if you want to try them, but the best settings may vary from set to set. Some of my original settings were slightly off what is listed as default in the manual.
Code:
Before -> After
D01 - 086 -> 079
D02 - 013 -> 026
D03 - 043 -> 030
D05 - 042 -> 042
D06 - 034 -> 034
D07 - 034 -> 034
D08 - 009 -> 010
D09 - 009 -> 008
D14 - 126 -> 119
Also note that when I adjusted from a test pattern in FULL mode I got a different horizontal center value than the one listed. When I tested the settings with TV signals and different aspect ratio settings, I found that the right edge of the image was not always hidden behind the masking on the right. I had to set it off center to the right according to the test patterns to hide this. With the horizontal center setting above all inputs and view modes were good.

John S
post #132 of 143 Old 07-06-2004, 06:14 PM

Lots of good info, I'd be a little squeamish fooling around in the service menu though. I haven't really seen anything that I think needs changing on my JVC.
Does that CD give any troubleshooting information, should a problem arise in the future??
The one thing that is uplifting so far is that I haven't seen any posts on the JVC, regarding problems. I believe they are also still being made, as they are still being shown on the JVC website, as a current product, and I have seen the local outlets restocking them.
There are quite a few JVC dealers in my area, as the JVC East Coast headquarters, is only about four miles down the road from me, in Wayne, NJ.
Keep us informed if you run across anything else interesting on that CD, although I am seriously considering getting one myself, at that price you cant go wrong. I can probably just go pick one up, and skip the shipping.
post #133 of 143 Old 07-07-2004, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Focuser
Lots of good info, I'd be a little squeamish fooling around in the service menu though. I haven't really seen anything that I think needs changing on my JVC. Does that CD give any troubleshooting information, should a problem arise in the future.
It's really not that bad. If you write down the original settings and only adjust the codes listed you can't do too much damage, and you can always go back. It would be dangerous to attempt it without knowing what the codes mean and what they do. There are a lot of settings that the manual specifically says "Do Not Adjust". Kind of interesting, why are they accessible?

The service manuals on the CD do contain trouble shooting and diagnostic info, plus a lot more settings than I posted. I think it was almost 70 pages. If anyone needs this type of info I would recommend buying it. After spending close to $2000 for a TV, what's $25 for a service manual?

So far I am very happy with this TV. It does a decent job with SD TV and even Tivo recordings. Once adjusted it looks outstanding with a high quality widescreen DVD. However, I was bugged by the excessive overscan which cutoff tickers and text at the bottom of the screen. I also noticed that the sides of the image in Regular (4x3) mode were not straight. These were my only issues with the TV, but using the settings above I was able to eliminate them.

John S
post #134 of 143 Old 07-07-2004, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

ok - you rock!! I too believe I will order one of those manuals. I have also noticed the overscan issues and am glad there is a relatively simple way to correct it. Thanks!!

Who is the more irrational, the man who believes in a God he does not see, or the man who is offended by the God he does not believe in? -Brad Stine
post #135 of 143 Old 07-12-2004, 12:40 PM

I'm a new member to avs. Great site. I just ordered the JVC AV34WP84 will arrive thurs. Tough TV to find. It looks like a great set. Unfortunately for myself I had only 2 choices in TV's under 38" width to choose from. One being the Toshiba 34hfx83 or 84 and this incredible looking JVC. If anyone can give an updated review of the JVC and any pointers it would be a great help.
post #136 of 143 Old 07-12-2004, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you seen the reviews under AVS Gear Views?

http://gearviews.avsforum.com/showpr...7&cat=9&page=1

Also if you search this forum for the model number or just JVC you may find some other reviews.

Not sure what you're looking for in terms of pointers, but if you have specific questions ask them. I posted some picture settings based on AVIA calibration that you might want to try out. Just go back in this thread.

John S
post #137 of 143 Old 07-15-2004, 03:10 PM

I'm nearing the end of a lengthy audition process for this TV, and I'm now trying to tackle the DVI-D input. I had originally hoped to hook up my laptop using a VGA-DVI cable to the TV, but that was before I knew the input was DVI-D only, and before I knew that DVI-D meant that there was no way to get an analogue VGA signal to go through (without a converter).

So my question to those folks who own this TV - has anyone hooked up a computer to the DVI input? Did you do it using a desktop computer with DVI-D or DVI-I outputs, and a DVI-D cable? How does the picture look?

Perhaps my real question is, can any video card that offers a DVI-I output support a DVI-D connection? I'm looking for a cheap solution, and hooking up an old box with a relatively cheap Radeon 9200 or similar, with a DVI-I output is cheaper than true DVI-VGA converters. Is anyone using one of those?

I have a lot more questions to ask, concerning what I can do with this TV, but I'll put them in a seperate post later. Thanks for any help you can offer.
post #138 of 143 Old 07-15-2004, 03:21 PM

Sorry to double-post, but the "minimum 3-posts before you can link" rule tripped me up from linking to the DVI-VGA converters I was talking about. A good example of those can be found here. Has anyone here used them? Is the signal still clean through the converting process?

Another question I have concerns a statement made on this page:

Quote:
***NOTE: If your computer source is VESA compatible, then this is a solution for you! However, if your computer does not output exactly VESA timing specifications, you will need the VGA to DVI Adapter which has a built-in scaler, however, (this) is less expensive.
I've done what research I can, but I still can't figure out what this means in context of a computer video card - are some (current model) cards not VESA compatible, and some are? How would you find that out? It didn't show up on any specs that I looked at. For the record, my laptop has a ATi Radeon Mobile 9000 (M9) - and I am clueless as to how I'm supposed to figure out if it's compatible or not.

Hopefully, the next generation of JVC HDTVs will have the sense to include a DVI-I connection, and help bypass all this trouble.
post #139 of 143 Old 07-15-2004, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

DVI-I sort of defeats the purpose - digital video. The reason for DVI-D is to keep it all in the digital domain. You should be able to hook up anything with a DVI-I or DVI-D connection. You may have to play with resolutions and timings (check out the HT PC forum here for details)

post #140 of 143 Old 07-15-2004, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a HTPC with DVI-D output, but it is in another room and I haven't yet tried to hook it up to the JVC. I'm curious to see how good the picture is, but am skeptical that it will work well for computer use. The DVI inputs on many TVs were designed for connection to DVD players and HD set top boxes rather than computers. They usually support only 480P, 720P and/or 1080i input. You may get an image, but it may be blurry or have so much overscan that parts of desktop are cut off making it difficult to use as a monitor. However, it might be fine for viewing video from the computer if that is what you have in mind. If I get a chance to try it I will post my findings.

Another option might be an RGB to HD Component converter. I have never tried one of these but the HTPC forum or www.htpcnews.com might have some info on them.

John S
post #141 of 143 Old 07-18-2004, 05:59 PM

I'm in the midst of my DVI experiment on this TV, having bought a Radeon 9200SE with DVI, which is now hooked up and displaying on the TV. I eventually coaxed it into displaying at 720x480 at 60Hz, which looks pretty good, but Powerstrip claims that the max resolution is 824x464 at 60Hz.

This perhaps explains the overscan. I'm new to Powerstrip, and am still trying to figure my way through it. Is that 824x464 resolution correct as the max? You'd figure that something rated for 1500i could go higher than that. I've noticed in multiple spots in the manual that it says "The Digital-In terminal is not compatible with picture signals of a personal computer". it's plainly displaying them, so do they mean that it's dangerous to do so? or is that just to ward off all the people with VGA-only outputs on their computers, trying to get them connected somehow.

If anyone has used powerstrip to connect at a decent HD resolution on this TV, please let me know. I'll report back if I have any success myself.
post #142 of 143 Old 07-20-2004, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sanity_clause
I'm in the midst of my DVI experiment on this TV, having bought a Radeon 9200SE with DVI, which is now hooked up and displaying on the TV. I eventually coaxed it into displaying at 720x480 at 60Hz, which looks pretty good, but Powerstrip claims that the max resolution is 824x464 at 60Hz.
That doesn't sound right. I'm not familiar with the specs on the 9200SE, but any recent graphics card should go much higher than 824x464 at 60 Hz. Most recent radeons will do 720P and I think will even do 1080i. It may be limited based on the monitor type that you set rather than the card limitations. You might try some different monitor types.

I still haven't had a chance to try DVI on my JVC, too many house projects. I will post my findings if I get a chance to try it.

John S
post #143 of 143 Old 07-21-2004, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jschefdog
[b]That doesn't sound right. I'm not familiar with the specs on the 9200SE, but any recent graphics card should go much higher than 824x464 at 60 Hz.
Sorry, I should have been more clear - Powerstrip claims that the TV (which it detected as a JVC 1220) can only handle 824x464 at 60Hz. Of course the 9200SE is rated at 2048x1536 at 75Hz.

I'm still confused as to why the resolution is so low, considering this supposed 1500i resolution. That should be able to give me at least 720 lines of progressive res, no?

Right now, the whole computer just seems unstable plugged into the TV. Plugged into a monitor, it's fine, will run for hours, but plugged into the TV via DVI it can freeze within 10 minutes.

I'm going through the HTPC/HDTV forum stuff on AVS, and it's simultaneously informative and confusing for me. I'll try a post in an appropriate thread over there, once I can figure out the right question to ask.
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page