Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1338 Old 05-03-2004, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by oryan_dunn
That is definitly true of almost all walmarts that i have been in. Usually, they have people working in electronics that are (as Xcalibur would say) "key twrilers" and don't know a thing about electronics. You can usually tell by how the TV's are setup if someone works in electronics that knows their stuff. But for the most part, you are right that a ma and pop shop would definitly have the advantage there.

Ryan
That is definately true... My super walmart doesn't even have the TV's on most of the time and when they do, it's always on MTV or some music channel. I've spoken with the department manager and he can't be more than 20 years old.

Not that Best Buy or Circuit City is much better. In fact I'd be even more wary at Circuit City because the sales rep gets a commision based on what
they sell. I used to work in the computer sales department at Best Buy and while they don't get any commissions, when the sales reps come from the various companies (compaq, HP, sony, ect...) they make deals with the department manager that if he sells X# of their product then they get some kind of glamerous prize. AKA... Big screen TV.... So the department manager comes to us and says... only sell X Compter products today. That's the kind of BS that ultimately lead me to quit the job. I'm sure similar things go on in the other departments as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1338 Old 05-03-2004, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Talisin, at our walmart, we have never had any pressure to sell stuff like you have had put on you. The only thing i get for selling a bigger tv, is more work hauling it out to the guys car.

The music channel is most likely the same music channel that is showing on the music endcap tv where people can scan in cds to watch a video. I know that at our walmart, the signal for the regular tvs is complete crap. I don't know if it runs past the refridgerators or what, but it is so full of static and diagonal lines that an antenna would give a better picture pointed in the wrong direction.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #93 of 1338 Old 05-03-2004, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Talisin12
That is definately true... My super walmart doesn't even have the TV's on most of the time and when they do, it's always on MTV or some music channel. I've spoken with the department manager and he can't be more than 20 years old.

Not that Best Buy or Circuit City is much better. In fact I'd be even more wary at Circuit City because the sales rep gets a commision based on what
they sell. I used to work in the computer sales department at Best Buy and while they don't get any commissions, when the sales reps come from the various companies (compaq, HP, sony, ect...) they make deals with the department manager that if he sells X# of their product then they get some kind of glamerous prize. AKA... Big screen TV.... So the department manager comes to us and says... only sell X Compter products today. That's the kind of BS that ultimately lead me to quit the job. I'm sure similar things go on in the other departments as well.

CC is no longer a commision based company. I would be more wary of a company that doesn't offer it's employees that incentive. When the incentive to make money on the sale thru knowledge and salesmanship is gone you get a 17yr old trrying to sell you a $12,000 TV explaining that s-video "is the bomb!"

bg
post #94 of 1338 Old 05-03-2004, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by ERJ
I am seriously considering getting the 16:9 to hook up to my htpc. Has anyone bought the 16:9 yet? Impressions? Anyone using the hdmi port?

Also, any opinions on comparing this to the similarly priced monivision?
Well, Monivision is plug-n-play with computers. Meaning that you can hook up any computer to the Monivision and it is ready to go without any tweaking (assuming that the HTPC video card supports 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, and 1280x720 which is pretty normal).

Consumer-grade HDTVs such as the Sanyo are NOT plug-n-play, regardless of any available inputs including HDMI, whatever that is. It is the electronics inside the display that counts. If the display does not have the VESA-standard electronics to handle computer video signals then you have to spend a lot of time tweaking a piece of software known as Powerstrip to get something and even that may not be satisfactory (overscan is hard to remove). Expect to spend a lot of time and effort with Powerstrip tweaking and at the same time, you will get free self-education in TV electronics engineering.

PROs: Similarly priced ($750) for 32" widescreen. Plug-n-play. Designed for HTPC use. Outstanding picture quality through HTPC.

CONs: Not designed to work well with set-top boxes (except X-Box). Some quality issues with the 32" model. VGA input only.
post #95 of 1338 Old 05-03-2004, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mr.mortgage
CC is no longer a commission based company. I would be more wary of a company that doesn't offer it's employees that incentive. When the incentive to make money on the sale thru knowledge and salesmanship is gone you get a 17yr old trrying to sell you a $12,000 TV explaining that s-video "is the bomb!"

bg
LOL your right! I didn't know CC was no longer commission based. The point I was trying to make is that most CC are still manned by 17 year olds that are just trying to sell you a "$12,000" TV. I don't like commission based companies because it correlates to closely with a used car lot. Although experienced and knowledgeable, these people nearly always try to sell you more or something other than you need, because there's an alterior motive to satisfying the customer.

Anyway, Sorry about getting off topic :)
post #96 of 1338 Old 05-03-2004, 08:57 PM

post #97 of 1338 Old 05-03-2004, 08:59 PM

Quote:
LOL your right! I didn't know CC was no longer commission based. The point I was trying to make is that most CC are still manned by 17 year olds that are just trying to sell you a "$12,000" TV. I don't like commission based companies because it correlates to closely with a used car lot. Although experienced and knowledgeable, these people nearly always try to sell you more or something other than you need, because there's an alterior motive to satisfying the customer.

Anyway, Sorry about getting off topic :)

It's always good to share ideas even if they are a bit off topic. :)
post #98 of 1338 Old 05-03-2004, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oryan_dunn
Talisin, at our walmart, we have never had any pressure to sell stuff like you have had put on you. The only thing i get for selling a bigger tv, is more work hauling it out to the guys car.

The music channel is most likely the same music channel that is showing on the music endcap tv where people can scan in cds to watch a video. I know that at our walmart, the signal for the regular tvs is complete crap. I don't know if it runs past the refridgerators or what, but it is so full of static and diagonal lines that an antenna would give a better picture pointed in the wrong direction.
Oryan

Yeah... That's what it could be. My local Walmart sometimes shows the discovery Channel on thier HD TV's when they're turned on. The plasma and LCD tv's are never on, but the little phillips 850 is sometimes.

I know walmart wouldn't allow any crap like that to happen. That's why I actually feel more comfortable shopping there, then at BB or CC. I'm sure that my experience is the exception to the rule, but it still makes me take everything pitched by a rep with a grain of salt. The best information (I think) comes from right here in these forums. I don't post much but I've been reading nearly everyday for over a year. Great information in all sections!
post #99 of 1338 Old 05-03-2004, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Consumer-grade HDTVs such as the Sanyo are NOT plug-n-play, regardless of any available inputs including HDMI, whatever that is. It is the electronics inside the display that counts. If the display does not have the VESA-standard electronics to handle computer video signals then you have to spend a lot of time tweaking a piece of software known as Powerstrip to get something and even that may not be satisfactory (overscan is hard to remove). Expect to spend a lot of time and effort with Powerstrip tweaking and at the same time, you will get free self-education in TV electronics engineering.

PROs: Similarly priced ($750) for 32" widescreen. Plug-n-play. Designed for HTPC use. Outstanding picture quality through HTPC.

CONs: Not designed to work well with set-top boxes (except X-Box). Some quality issues with the 32" model. VGA input only. [/b][/quote]

Im looking to get a 30' widescreen. I once had the monivision(unitymotion hd3200) back in 99 and wished I kept it. It had a poor linedoubler but was a great set overall. Im thinking about getting it again with the el cheapo multi- inputs with it. I need somthing that puts out native 720p and 1080i/540p. I mainly want it for my Xbox and the HD stb. Is there an X-box VGA? If so then i wouldnt get all the other cheap inputs for it. That Sanyo sounds good but I prefer native inputs and this is the ticket.
post #100 of 1338 Old 05-04-2004, 04:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Funny, I always love how people bitch about Wallyworld moving into their town, yet I would bet not one of them ever went to a town meeting to oppose the permit requested by Walmart to move into the town. Probably the same people who bitch about government, yet never vote.

Now to put this back on topic, I was at Wallyworld last night and saw that their 32" Sanyo HDTV monitor was at a new price drop of $549. Damn, I'm now debating on bringing back my 27" Zenith I just bought for the same price at CC.
post #101 of 1338 Old 05-04-2004, 04:10 AM

Oryan,

Thanks for the information on this new HDTV. We appreciate it.
post #102 of 1338 Old 05-04-2004, 06:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks Q... I've read through all the Zenith topics. Some of the problems such as the white line thing and buzzing/zapping issues concern me. Zenith also isn't known for high quality/durable products (according to consumer reports) The only thing (for me) that the sanyo has going for it is the reliability of the company. I guess I'll just have to wait until I can see them with my own eyes.
In this past year, Zenith has improved and ascended considerably.

I tell you this: The buzzing/zapping issues are on outright defective units. Obviously, no line is perfect and you will always run that gambit of possibly a defective unit regardless of brand.

The white line issue is under a very specific circumstance that we aren't 100 percent sure yet is the TV. The white line ONLY occurs under a 1080i component input situation via a cable STB. Period. There have been no reported incidents outside of that. Yet. ;)

Interestingly enough, some folks have gotten their hands on a "newer" c32v37 that has a March 2004 birth date vs. the February 2004 one that I and most others have and...zero problems.

Personally, I only had the cable STB issue, which I have since dumped outright because cable was ripping me off, and the very dim buzzing when I view a 720p broadcast via OTA.

Keep in mind that I have VERY sensitive hearing and my bedroom is VERY quiet. So...I just turn the TV's volume up or the sound system and...it's gone!

:D

Give Zenith a closer look, just for laughs. 1-877-9Zenith or www.zenith.com to find a dealer. Best Buy supposedly has a sale this week (?) for $809 for the c32v37? That's a steal!

Anyways, something to consider....

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #103 of 1338 Old 05-04-2004, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Q of BanditZ
I tell you this: The buzzing/zapping issues are on outright defective units. Obviously, no line is perfect and you will always run that gambit of possibly a defective unit regardless of brand.
Although I love my C32V37, I must point out that:

- 4 out of 16 reviewers on Amazon.com mention the zapping; so if it's a defect, it's a rather common one.

- The parts that the Zenith (Elite!) Service Center ordered in order to fix the zapping are on backorder with no Estimated Time of Arrival at all! I have to conclude that either (a) the defect is so common that part replacements are backed up for months, or more likely (b) Zenith has halted production of those parts until it can be absolutely sure the problem will not recur.

In my case, the adjustment made by the repairman greatly reduced the zapping, and so I am willing to wait for the replacement parts. Mine is a scratch-'n'-dent display model, so exchange for another set is not an alternative; but those who buy brand-new from a local store should indeed simply demand an exchange if zapping occurs.
post #104 of 1338 Old 05-04-2004, 08:29 AM
ERJ

Quote:

CONs: Not designed to work well with set-top boxes (except X-Box). Some quality issues with the 32" model. VGA input only.
Is this true in regards to hdmi? It is essentially a dvi plug. Now I could be completely off base in regards to this, but I didn't think that dvi had all that messing around with monitor timings. I would have thought that if something had an hdmi interface that it would pretty much accept any dvi compatible signal sent to it...
post #105 of 1338 Old 05-04-2004, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by bac522
Funny, I always love how people bitch about Wallyworld moving into their town, yet I would bet not one of them ever went to a town meeting to oppose the permit requested by Walmart to move into the town. Probably the same people who bitch about government, yet never vote.

Now to put this back on topic, I was at Wallyworld last night and saw that their 32" Sanyo HDTV monitor was at a new price drop of $549. Damn, I'm now debating on bringing back my 27" Zenith I just bought for the same price at CC.
That cannot be right, otherwise I would know about it. Prices changes to a product take effect company-wide on the same week. The only possibility is if that particular store is doing one hell of an instore comp price (matching a competitor's similar product which is on sale), otherwise you must be mistaking it for a different model. $747 is the price that you should find in every walmart in the country. Knowing the company, within 6-9 months that price will drop to $698 on Rollback. I have NEVER seen a price go up on a tv the entire time I've worked at Walmart. The 27" Sanyo Flatscreens that we started selling 3 years ago have progressively dropped from an initial price of $448 down to what is now $247. In the process the tv has become much better over these 3 years too with newer model updates. I've noticed that other retailers like BB and Target have had to aggressively drop their tv prices to keep stride, which is a good thing for the consumer.

Just as a quick note, regular 480i analog signals look mighty good on this new HD Sanyo. Our store only has the crappy regular walmart tv feed. I've seen how it's wired, and is split and re-boosted at least 15 times along the wall with acres of twisted and crimped coax cable. The HD picture on the Sanyo looks nearly identical in quality to the 32" Sanyo flatscreen analog tv very close up. Once you back a little ways away the HD Sanyo is clearly superior. I find this to be impressive. I was once planning to buy a Sony 32HS510 HDTV, but analog signals looked horrible on it. Considering the quality of the signal, I think the Sanyo does very well with standard-def feeds.
post #106 of 1338 Old 05-04-2004, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Opps, now that I think about it, he might be referring to the OLD model 32" Sanyo HD model that is outgoing and not the new model we're talking about. The price for the old model sounds right there.
post #107 of 1338 Old 05-04-2004, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Yes, the old model Sanyo HD 32" is $549 now. It is a decent set, but doesn't compare to the new one. The old one doesn't have a tuner or HDMI and only has one set of component inputs.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #108 of 1338 Old 05-04-2004, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hugabone
Im looking to get a 30' widescreen. I once had the monivision(unitymotion hd3200) back in 99 and wished I kept it. It had a poor linedoubler but was a great set overall. Im thinking about getting it again with the el cheapo multi- inputs with it. I need somthing that puts out native 720p and 1080i/540p. I mainly want it for my Xbox and the HD stb. Is there an X-box VGA? If so then i wouldnt get all the other cheap inputs for it. That Sanyo sounds good but I prefer native inputs and this is the ticket.
In computer-speak, 32" widescreen is actually 30" viewable so it is the same thing (consumer-grade HDTVs always use the viewable size).

I would not recommend getting the "el cheapo" multi-input VisionBox add-on for the Monivision. Although it does have component inputs, the VisionBox produces very mediocre picture quality and a lot of people have reported quality issues with the VisionBox. You are better off getting the Monivision without the VisionBox. You can still hook up the X-Box to the Monivision's VGA input by using the X-Blaster component-to-VGA transcoder that works exclusively with the X-Box. People have reported good experiences with this transcoder and have played X-Box games in all their 720p glory on the Monivision.
post #109 of 1338 Old 05-04-2004, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ERJ
Is this true in regards to hdmi? It is essentially a dvi plug. Now I could be completely off base in regards to this, but I didn't think that dvi had all that messing around with monitor timings. I would have thought that if something had an hdmi interface that it would pretty much accept any dvi compatible signal sent to it...
It WILL accept dvi-compatible signals. But getting the picture displayed on the HDTV properly is a whole different story. You will still need to mess around with Powerstrip timings and all that. I would suggest you get my comments confirmed on the HTPC forum. Simply ask whether it is possible to get a HTPC working with any HDMI input WITHOUT the usage of Powerstrip.
post #110 of 1338 Old 05-04-2004, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

x2vga

xbox vga

It's the job of the salesman to give honest and accurate product info and let the customer decide if it fits their needs.
post #111 of 1338 Old 05-04-2004, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

bullgates, does the x2vga device work well with set-top boxes such as a DVD player or a HDTV receiver? Or is it limited only to X-Box? According to the specs, the required input is the "specific Xbox AV Connector input". If you plugged in a set-top DVD player to the input, would it work? Thanks.
post #112 of 1338 Old 05-04-2004, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

I had been tossing around the idea about getting the C32V37, and at the BB price of 808 this week I was ready to pull the trigger. Unfortunately it is just a tad big for my tv stand...it would have taken some major convincing with the wife to get rid of the stand we have. Thankfully this one will fit nicely if the dimensions on the box are correct.

Thankfully this deal came along...thanks to oryan_dunn and Xcalibur_255. As well as courier72 for getting the manuals.

I went to my local WM today and they didn't have it out yet. I was a little worried about buying it site unseen, but given the liberal return policy...I can always take it back.
post #113 of 1338 Old 05-04-2004, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As you can imagine, Microsoft has a proprietary av jack on the back of the Xbox that you have to buy Xbox component, s-video, or even composite cables for. You cannot hook in a DVD player because it doesn't have the Xbox specific output on it.

look here:

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx_assets/pr...ges/209496.jpg

The thing in the top left is what you hook into the back of the Xbox. Then you run the component and audio cables out into your TV and receiver. As far as I know, no DVD player has that type of output.
post #114 of 1338 Old 05-05-2004, 05:01 AM

Another question.........

Has anyone played a DVD with progressive output on this set? How does it look? Is the resolution upconverted or left alone?

Thanks,
Ben
post #115 of 1338 Old 05-05-2004, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

I have just purchased it...it is sitting in my truck waiting. Damned work...can't I just go home and play?

I will hook it up tonight, and let you know how it goes. I have an el cheapo progressive scan dvd player, so i will hook it up and let you know what I find out.

I have a powered antenna, but my current OTA reception of analog stations can be a be sketchy at times so I am more than curious to see how the digital signal is picked up. I heard with HDTV signals its either on or off. Does anybody know if this is true?

One of the conditions (with my wife) to keeping the set is that we can pick up the HDTV signals without major monkeying around (ie no having to install an external antenna).

I live in a 2 story house, and I get much better reception upstairs. I would love to run my antenna into my cable jack in the wall, and have it available to all the outlets. The only catch is, that I have cable brodband also running through the wall outlets. Does anyone know if I run my antenna signal through the same cabling that carries my Charter Internet Broadband signal (I don't have cable television). Recomendations and options are appreciated.

Thanks for the help.
post #116 of 1338 Old 05-05-2004, 07:18 AM

Even if you don't pick up all the HDTV channels, point out to your wife that even analog channels look better on an HDTV. (At least that's true of my Zenith C32V37.)
post #117 of 1338 Old 05-05-2004, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sterno3
Does anyone know if I run my antenna signal through the same cabling that carries my Charter Internet Broadband signal (I don't have cable television). Recomendations and options are appreciated.

Thanks for the help. [/b]
You might be able to. The cable can carry a fairly significant bandwidth load. I'd try buying one of those cheap amplified splitters and just try it.
I'm not an expert though.

HD stations are either ON or Off, it's great, or it's nothing... But from what I've seen. If your reception is tenuous, you may be in the middle of an HD program and suddenly have it drop right off the screen. I don't know if your familiar with satellite companies like DTV, but it's kind of a similar principal. If you've ever been watching a program on satellite and suddenly have it drop out or pixelate or freeze because of bad weather or a bird taking a crap on your dish, then you'll know what I mean. It's a very similar effect with OTA HD reception.

BTW... I had an opportunity to check the TV out today and I have to say that I was impressed. They had it set up side by side with that new panny CT-32HL44 that I believe is supposed to have some kind of "SUPER" tube. I havn't read through all of the posts in that topic. The Panny retails for $799, and doesn't include an ATSC tuner. Both the TV's had significant Red Push to my eyes but the Panny was much worse. (I'm sure neither of them we're calibrated correctly). In my opinion the Sanyo beats the Panny in both picture quality and features. I probably would have bought the Sanyo today if I had a way to lift the darn thing. My wife's a wimp, she won't even try. :)
post #118 of 1338 Old 05-05-2004, 01:41 PM

In comparing (on paper) the Zenith C32V37 to the Sanyo HT32744, there is one question I'm wondering if someone can answer.

Best Buy's advertisement for the Zenith seems to indicate that it's built-in HDTV tuner only works with an Antenna feed, and not cable television?

THis is the information at the Best Buy Web site:

"Built-in HDTV tuner allows you to receive over-the-air high-definition broadcasts, where available (HD-capable antenna required). Optional set-top box required for reception of high-definition cable or satellite programming."

So, the question is, what about the Sanyo set at Wal Mart ?

thanks
mike
post #119 of 1338 Old 05-05-2004, 01:44 PM

The Zenith can receive signals from unencrypted cable and OTA. The Sanyo is just OTA.

bg
post #120 of 1338 Old 05-05-2004, 03:43 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but are you saying that with the Zenith's built in HDTV tuner you can watch Comcast cable TV High Definition programming, but not with the Sanyo ?

If so, then that would be a very good reason to choose the Zenith, would it not ?

thanks
mike
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page