Incredible new Sanyo 32" Flat Screen HDTV - Page 45 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1321 of 1338 Old 08-16-2004, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If none of us respond to Jet, he may go away and find another thread to pester. New viewers of this thread will get the idea soon enough, hopefully. I think it is ironic that his posts and the posts responding to his, help keep this thread on the first page of Direct View, which is what apparently bugs him the most. Now, here I am responding to him in a way and probably adding fuel to the fire. I will try to not respond if he responds to me.

Very happy Sanyo 32" owner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 1338 Old 08-16-2004, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by superh
I have 67 analog cable channels, 10 ClearQAM cable channels, and 6 HDTV broadcast channels, over cable, as well as 38 ClearQAM music channels.

I never have to rescan. My picture looks great overall, too, especially after making adjustments through the service menu.
Please explain how you are getting the ClearQAM and HDTV broadcast channels? Do you have a cable box? Is your cable box connected to other than one of the two coax connectors? IE, does it connect thru HDMI, component or S-Video?
post #1323 of 1338 Old 08-16-2004, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
you can have two sets of channels in memory at a time, one set analog, the other set digital. with the digital, you have your choice of either atsc ota hd channels, or unecrypted qam channels from the cable company. To get the clearqam, you just need to pipe your cable line to the digital coax and scan for qam channels. What you'll most likely want to do, is use a splitter on your coax, run one to the analog and one to the digital, so that way you get all your analog cable channels as well as the clear qam channels.

Ryan

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #1324 of 1338 Old 08-17-2004, 01:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Budget_HT, for summarizing all of that so well. It's what I should have done, but I was too tired to organize and write it that clearly. :) As far as I can see your info is correct as well as I understand it.
post #1325 of 1338 Old 08-17-2004, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Hoping someone out there can help me clear an issue I'm having with my 30"...

My cable company (Comcast) specifically states that "HD local broadcast signals are included with Basic Service subscription and HD cable box (see equipment pricing)."

Now, unless I'm wrong, the Sanyo takes care of the HD cable box side of things with its tuner. I have the Basic Service subscription, which I have split into the digital and analog tuners, but I am currently only able to get NBC and PBS in hi-def. I can get ABC digitally, but not in hi-def, and FOX and CBS are nowhere to be found.

Is it possible that Comcast's HD cable box is necessary to descramble the HD signals? If so, why would I be able to get NBC? A large part of the reason I got this TV (especially the 30" version) was to watch HDTV, but I am also a cheap bastard (another reason I got this tv) and I refuse to pay for something I should be able to get anyway.

Any ideas out there for grabbing the other HD channels without paying for Comcast's box (I've already tried an old UHF antenna I had in the attic, as well as Radioshacks 15-1880, neither of which reliably grabbed me anything but NBC).

Thanks.
post #1326 of 1338 Old 08-17-2004, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Are you sure that Comcast offers all the networks in HD in your area? Cox only offers one major network in HD here in Hampton Roads...along with ESPN, PBS, HBO, Skina-max, and 2 InHD channels. How do you know you get ABC digitally but not in HD? That seems odd...there is no reason to have a DTV non-HD feed of ABC on the cable system. Unless you just caught a non-HD program on the HD channel. Even though certain channels are "HD" it's common to have SD or upconverted content on them.

You should check out antennaweb.org, input your address, and see where all the broadcast towers are in relation to you. They'll also suggest an antenna size and type for your situation. I get all the major networks in OTA DTV/HD with rabbit ears :)
post #1327 of 1338 Old 08-17-2004, 09:33 AM

The issue here is whether the signal is scrambled or not, not HD or non-HD.

I have Comcast most $10 basic service (bundled with Internet) in Metro Boston. I don't have STB; none was offered. I splitted the cable input for Analog and Digital. I got the basic analog channels. On the digital side, I
get :

Bravo (528x480 funny format reported by the Sanyo)
PBS-HD (HD 1920 x1080)
Fox (HD 1280x720p)
ABC (HD 1280x720)
NBC (HD 1920x1080)
ABC News Now (704 x 480 ??)
CBS (HD 1920x1080)

PBS (704x480 ??)
PBS World (720x480)
PBS Create (720x480
PBS WGBH Kids (720x480)

30-40 music (sub)channels. Hey I am not complaining.

Don't foget the QAM tuner in your Sanyo only can receive unscrambled signal. For example, I know Comcast is starting to offer Discovery-HD in my area, but the Sanyo can not receive it because the signal is scrambled. Same with the other pay channels such as HBO. You need Comcast HD STB to recevice the scrambled digital signals, HD or non-HD. (Last month, Comcast had some equipment problems in my area and they "opened up" 5-6 pay channels like HBO, Cin-MAX, INHD, and etc. During that time, My Sanyo got all those channels.)

Comcast does not have one scrambling "policy" across all the areas. Comcast in your area may have different "scrambling" policy. If you can't get the basic local channels you want, then you next best bet is to use antenna for your digital (HD and non-HD) broadcasts.

Quote:
Originally posted by sensibull
Hoping someone out there can help me clear an issue I'm having with my 30"...

My cable company (Comcast) specifically states that "HD local broadcast signals are included with Basic Service subscription and HD cable box (see equipment pricing)."

Now, unless I'm wrong, the Sanyo takes care of the HD cable box side of things with its tuner. I have the Basic Service subscription, which I have split into the digital and analog tuners, but I am currently only able to get NBC and PBS in hi-def. I can get ABC digitally, but not in hi-def, and FOX and CBS are nowhere to be found.

Is it possible that Comcast's HD cable box is necessary to descramble the HD signals? If so, why would I be able to get NBC? A large part of the reason I got this TV (especially the 30" version) was to watch HDTV, but I am also a cheap bastard (another reason I got this tv) and I refuse to pay for something I should be able to get anyway.

Any ideas out there for grabbing the other HD channels without paying for Comcast's box (I've already tried an old UHF antenna I had in the attic, as well as Radioshacks 15-1880, neither of which reliably grabbed me anything but NBC).

Thanks.
post #1328 of 1338 Old 08-17-2004, 04:53 PM

Ok, I bought this tv a few days ago. Ive only been playing games on it until last night, when I popped in a few (4-5) movies. While playing ANY movie, I get these green vertical stripes that appear on my screen (doesnt happen when playing games on Xbox). Again, these show up on all of my movies. What are they and how do I make then go away (they're VERY noticable)????.......
LL
post #1329 of 1338 Old 08-17-2004, 04:57 PM

another...
LL
post #1330 of 1338 Old 08-17-2004, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

What type of input are you using for your DVD player (DVI, component, S-video)? Are you playing DVDs directly from your game box or an individual DVD player?

I had a similar issue...faint banding (not green) going across the screen while watching DVDs through component. I switched to s-video and it was gone. I also run my HD cable box through component without any problems so I assume the issue is with the output from my DVD player...I'm using s-video for now.
post #1331 of 1338 Old 08-17-2004, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TH3_FRB
What type of input are you using for your DVD player (DVI, component, S-video)? Are you playing DVDs directly from your game box or an individual DVD player?

I had a similar issue...faint banding (not green) going across the screen while watching DVDs through component. I switched to s-video and it was gone. I also run my HD cable box through component without any problems so I assume the issue is with the output from my DVD player...I'm using s-video for now.

1. Im using Monster component cables.
2. My DVD player is my Xbox
3. I pre-ordered a Samsung DVD player (DVD-HD941) that will be released (hopefully) this week, and I will be connecting it to the tv via HDMI. Think that will solve the problem?
post #1332 of 1338 Old 08-17-2004, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TH3_FRB
I get all the major networks in OTA DTV/HD with rabbit ears :)
What brand of rabbit ears, please?
post #1333 of 1338 Old 08-17-2004, 07:07 PM

Can we combine the cable coax and the OTA antenna coax via a "reverse splitter" and feed them both into the digital coax connector and get HD channels from both? I am guessing that they have different channel numbers.
post #1334 of 1338 Old 08-17-2004, 07:31 PM

In case anyone is interested the new Super Walmart in Pembroke Pines has 4 of the 30" widescreen's in stock and on the floor. Hope this helps.

While I was in the store I noticed on the Sanyo manual that there is a 27" version of this set. Anyone have any info on this? As usual the Walmart employees didn't know anything.
post #1335 of 1338 Old 08-17-2004, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

So far the 27" is only for Canada.
post #1336 of 1338 Old 08-17-2004, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally posted by helser
Can we combine the cable coax and the OTA antenna coax via a "reverse splitter" and feed them both into the digital coax connector and get HD channels from both? I am guessing that they have different channel numbers.
No because they occupy some of the same frequencys. All it would do is mess up the cable on the same frequences as your ota channels. You can get an a-b switch, plug both in and switch back and forth. The tv will remember the stations from the ota scan and the cable scan, so you just have to switch it in the menu when you switch the a-b switch. You don't have to do a rescan, just change it from ota to cable in the digital channel menu.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #1337 of 1338 Old 08-17-2004, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought it could only keep one set of digital channels in memory...requiring a rescan when switching from OTA to cable on the digital input.

Quote:
Originally posted by oryan_dunn
No because they occupy some of the same frequencys. All it would do is mess up the cable on the same frequences as your ota channels. You can get an a-b switch, plug both in and switch back and forth. The tv will remember the stations from the ota scan and the cable scan, so you just have to switch it in the menu when you switch the a-b switch. You don't have to do a rescan, just change it from ota to cable in the digital channel menu.
post #1338 of 1338 Old 08-17-2004, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TheTonik
1. Im using Monster component cables.
2. My DVD player is my Xbox
3. I pre-ordered a Samsung DVD player (DVD-HD941) that will be released (hopefully) this week, and I will be connecting it to the tv via HDMI. Think that will solve the problem?
Can or have you tried different component cables or different DVD players?

jawgee
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page