Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 1338 Old 04-25-2004, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have updated this post to include some of the new info that has been posted in this thread

Currently, this set is only available at B&M Walmarts ONLY. It is not on walmart.com or anywhere else. I'll update this info if it is added to the web.

I work at Wal-Mart and we just got in a new TV that, I believe, marks the begining of true mass market HDTV.

The set is a Sanyo 32" Flat Screen HDTV Model # HT32744

Here are the specs:
Integrated HD Tuner w/ QAM (Page 17 of the manual)
HDMI input
2 Component Inputs
2 S-Video/AV inputs
1 Optical Audio Out
1 Analog audio out
2 Tuner PIP
Analog tuner for cable
3D Y/C Comb Filter

This thing sells for $747!!!!

Sanyo 32" 4:3

Here is the 30" wide version of the same thing:
Sanyo 30" 16:9

(If you want a layout of the back panel, it is page 6 of the manual.)
Sanyo Instruction Manual

This just made my job to sell HDTV to joe6pack a walk in the park. All you have to do is buy this tv and hook up an antenna and you get HDTV. Especially for the price, it is a steal. It is only 200 more than the analog flat screen 32", and this is HD with a digital tuner.

Ryan

EDIT:

I did get a chance to mess with the Sanyos today, and they do infact accept a 720p signal. I don't know (and don't know how to tell) if it is upconverted to 1080i. FWIW, when I hit the info button, it will show the information for the incomming signal, either 720p or 1080i These are the only tv's out of the 8 or so HD sets that we have that even displayed the 720p signal being output from the Dish 6000. If anyone knows how to test if it is native 720p, let me know and I'll see what i can do.

Also, the 30" wide allowed me to use all picture formats on 1080i. So I could put the 1080i signal in 4:3, full, zoom, etc. I still want to try that in 720p and 480p, but since it does it in 1080i, i assume it will do picture format changes in all modes. If i hadn't bought my Philips, the 30" Sanyo would be in my bedroom as we speak.

There is also a 27" version on the way and according to spider4re, they will be at Walmarts sometime in July.
Edit: The 27" is currently only a Canadian model as stated on the Sanyo website

Sanyo 27" 4:3

These sets should have the same feature set as the larger sets (HDMI and Digital Tuner)

Here is some info on the service menu:
About a month and a half ago, I asked on the Sanyo forums at homethearterspot.com, how to access the service menu of the sanyo's, and an ISF guy named Biloxi_MS_ISF just replied. Here is the link:
Sanyo Service Menu Thread

Some have tried it, but the service menu seems somewhat cryptic.
Edit:
here is the specifics on how to enter the service menu on these sets posted by another member:
"[text deleted.] Anyways I think I found the service menu access. I went and unplugged the TV and pushed the volume down key on the TV itself, not the remote. While holding the volume down button I plugged the TV and it came on. This TV takes a couple of seconds before you see anything on the screen, so make sure that keep that volume down button pressed until you see the service menu. I used the channel up/down key on the remote to navigate and the volume up/down on the remote to change the items. It has more than 150 parameters...

Hope that helps

Edgar"

I've typed up what is in the service menu of the set in my store. Here is a link to the post with the excel file..

Edit:
Well here is the official Sanyo Service Manual in pdf form:
Sanyo Service Manual

For discussions on using this tv with a HTPC or connecting a PC to the HDMI port, please post in this thread: Sanyo HT30744 Widescreen HDTV -- Adjusting Overscan with Powerstrip

Ryan

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1338 Old 04-25-2004, 09:44 PM

Liked: 10
4:3, but for the price....

http://www.sanyo.com/entertainment/t...?productID=905

This 'comb filter' graphic is :cool:
http://www.sanyo.com/entertainment/t...combfilter.gif
post #3 of 1338 Old 04-25-2004, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

How much is the 30"? It wasn't in our system at the time and I didn't see it on their website.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #4 of 1338 Old 04-25-2004, 09:51 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Wow, these Sanyos seem to have come out of nowhere. If the picture quality is good it looks like a good bargain. Sanyo hasn't been around much in the past several years but i seem to remember they made pretty decent stuff.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #5 of 1338 Old 04-26-2004, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think right now, only Wal-Mart and Sam's Club sells Sanyos. I could be wrong, but I have never seen them anywhere else. The last Sanyo HDTV we had, had a very clear and vibrant picture. Right now, that one is 597 and is a 32", but doesn't have the integrated HD tuner. The thing that really suprised me about this set, is that it has an HDMI input.

post #6 of 1338 Old 04-26-2004, 06:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

That's not bad, but I am not really confident in this brand. Explore thoroughly and make sure you're covered by a good warranty and good return/exchange policy before proceedings.

Good first impression certainly. ;)

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #7 of 1338 Old 04-26-2004, 09:22 AM

According to consumer reports, Sanyo makes the most reliable TV's on the Market.
I'm definately going to have to check this one out.

Can it accept 720P signals?
post #8 of 1338 Old 04-26-2004, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dunno about the 720p. When we reset the department, I'll get to hook up all the new tvs there and play around with them. I'll have to hook it up to our Dish 6000 and see about the 720p. Q, I've worked at Wal-Mart for 5 years, and in that time, i've found that walmart has an almost unlimited return policy, even if you don't have a receipt. But, even if you play by the rules, walmart has a 1 year return/exchange policy on Sanyo TVs. Thats the longest that I know of from any retail store. In fact, I think that it is the longest return/exchange policy for anything we sell. So, I would be very confident in buy this brand. I know several people who have had Sanyo tvs for a very long time and have had no trouble at all. If other walmarts are the same as ours, the department resets happen in mid may/ begining of june. You probably wont find that tv on their shelves till then. I also did some digging in our computer system and it shows that we are to get in a Panasonic 30" wide HD as well as a 32" RCA HD set. I can't believe how many HD sets walmart carries now. I remember when we got our first HD set in and everybody was "ooooo" and "aahhhh"ing over it. It was quite funny actually.

post #9 of 1338 Old 04-26-2004, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oryan_dunn
Dunno about the 720p. When we reset the department, I'll get to hook up all the new tvs there and play around with them. I'll have to hook it up to our Dish 6000 and see about the 720p. Q, I've worked at Wal-Mart for 5 years, and in that time, i've found that walmart has an almost unlimited return policy, even if you don't have a receipt.
WOW! Amazing! Only trick to that is: You all could be taken advantage of. I hope you all at least look for receipts now.

Quote:
But, even if you play by the rules, walmart has a 1 year return/exchange policy on Sanyo TVs. Thats the longest that I know of from any retail store. In fact, I think that it is the longest return/exchange policy for anything we sell. So, I would be very confident in buy this brand. I know several people who have had Sanyo tvs for a very long time and have had no trouble at all.
Again, WOW!

Quote:
If other walmarts are the same as ours, the department resets happen in mid may/ begining of june. You probably wont find that tv on their shelves till then. I also did some digging in our computer system and it shows that we are to get in a Panasonic 30" wide HD as well as a 32" RCA HD set. I can't believe how many HD sets walmart carries now. I remember when we got our first HD set in and everybody was "ooooo" and "aahhhh"ing over it. It was quite funny actually.
You, sir have just earned some business, because I have a small fleet of people who want a nice entry level HD set. Guess where I'm sending them?

;)

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #10 of 1338 Old 04-26-2004, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Only trick to that is: You all could be taken advantage of. I hope you all at least look for receipts now.
I can usually tell if someone is honest or is trying to screw us. Since I usually approve the returns for our department, after 5 years, I have a sense when something isn't right. But walmart has so much money, that if an honest person has a problem, i have no problem helping them out and getting something that works, even if they don't have a receipt. But generally, its good to keep the receipt just in case.

Ryan

post #11 of 1338 Old 04-26-2004, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I tell ya, if everything you say is true, and I have no reason to believe it isn't...that there is mightily impressive and a nice boon for Walmart.

Be prepared to have stampede on your hands as word gets out about those new TV's! LOL! ;)

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #12 of 1338 Old 04-26-2004, 03:31 PM

My wife used to be a manager at walmart and their return policy is about as good as anyone could ask for. They'll accept any return for any reason with a reciet. Barring the standard things like opened DVD's, Games, CD's Ect... They'll accept returns without a reciet also, but there is a limit on that. I think it's like 3 in a month and anything over $100 needs manager approval. I've never had any problems though.
post #13 of 1338 Old 04-26-2004, 07:13 PM

Did anyone determine their price on the 30"?
post #14 of 1338 Old 04-26-2004, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This TV looks VERY, VERY, VERY, INTERESTING. Especially at that pricepoint. This may replace the Zenith C32V37 in the BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK category.
post #15 of 1338 Old 04-26-2004, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Unfortunately, I didn't find out about the 30" till i got home yesterday, and I can't log into the computers at our store unless i'm clocked in, so i'll have to wait until i work on saturday to look and see if we will carry that model, and if so, the price we will have on it.

post #16 of 1338 Old 04-26-2004, 08:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
No 1394 with the built in tuner. That is a deal killer for me. I want to record. Then again, with the new cable boxes that have 1394, it would be o.k.

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
post #17 of 1338 Old 04-26-2004, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

but it's only 747 dollars. The samsung 165 tuner with 1394 by itself retails for like 5-6 hundred dollars.

post #18 of 1338 Old 04-27-2004, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by iceman143
Did anyone determine their price on the 30"?
This other guy who also happens to work at Wally World claims that it also costs $747.
http://forums.animeondvd.com/showfla...91&Main=446614
post #19 of 1338 Old 04-27-2004, 08:46 AM

My impression is that the Sanyo you mentioned in this thread is not yet out on the shelves at your Walmart either. Is that correct?

Stupid me, I went to every Seller of TVs in the Minneapolis area yesterday to see if they carried that model. Only Walmart seems to carry Sanyos and it wasn't out on the shelves yet. The guy in the electronics dept. did say that all new tvs will be out around mid-May as you mentioned in a previous post.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this on the shelves. Let us know if you will be carrying the 30inch model once you get a chance to check the computers.

-Jon
post #20 of 1338 Old 04-27-2004, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

hey gold, i'm definitely going to check to see if we will be getting it in. I do believe that walmart and maybe sams club are the exclusive retailers for sanyo tvs. We don't yet have a display of this model set up, but we do have one in stock, so the other walmarts might have them in stock as well, you'd just have to ask. Some other walmarts might not sell their new stock until it is out on the shelves. Good luck getting one of these.

Ryan

post #21 of 1338 Old 04-27-2004, 01:15 PM

They just rolled out a new HDTV display at our Super Walmart. Very nice display with about 14 models on display. I did not see a Sanyo but was just passing by. The loop that was playing was pretty impressive.

I think BB and CC will be feeling the pain soon. One of the biggest reasons I get most of my items from Wal-mart is their liberal return policy. Even though I do not return many items, it is the peace of mind that reels me in.
post #22 of 1338 Old 04-27-2004, 01:29 PM

I would be willing to be that these are simply rebadged Samsung sets.
post #23 of 1338 Old 04-27-2004, 01:41 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Quote:
Originally posted by irwincur
Why? Sanyo is a big company and has been making their own TVs for decades so why would they farm these two out to Samsung? They look nothing like any Samsung i've ever seen.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #24 of 1338 Old 04-27-2004, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rajuncajunboy
They just rolled out a new HDTV display at our Super Walmart. Very nice display with about 14 models on display. I did not see a Sanyo but was just passing by. The loop that was playing was pretty impressive.

I think BB and CC will be feeling the pain soon. One of the biggest reasons I get most of my items from Wal-mart is their liberal return policy. Even though I do not return many items, it is the peace of mind that reels me in.
Yeah, in august, our store is going to have a major renovation. The electronics department will be made larger and we will start carrying more LCD tvs as well as a couple of plasmas. Also being done duing this renovation, we will have hard wood floors (not linoleum look alike) as well as other upgrades. I can't wait to see what it looks like when they are done.

Ryan

post #25 of 1338 Old 04-27-2004, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by irwincur
They are not rebagaged Samsung sets. Sanyo makes many, many different things besides tvs. Take a look at their web site:
http://www.sanyo.com/

They are a much larger company than you may think.

Ryan

post #26 of 1338 Old 04-27-2004, 07:49 PM

....it lasted 22 years with nary a glitch and played beautifully. Unfortunatley....

...I inherited it after graduating college, and the tube "popped" after I had it on for 10 minutes. I pretty sure it was due to the jostling it encountered during the move - probably would have played for another 10 if they had kept it.

Sanyo is makes a good product - no reason to fear the brand at all.
post #27 of 1338 Old 04-27-2004, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Good to see you in here again oryann_dunn. Our store has this tv now too (it took 5 people to get it up on the wall). :) They're called "Vizon". Technically, we're not supposed to have it out for another 2 weeks, but our store manager is giving us only 2 days to do mods this year and we're cheating to ligthen the work load when it comes. :) At first glance I'm fairly impressed for the money. I too the liberty of pulling one of the dvd players off the shelf and hooking it up so I could run my Digital Video Essentials disc through it. First things first, the power supply is disappointing, much like other Sanyos. There's a fair amount of image bob when during rapid APL changes. I was kind of expecting that, considering it's a Sanyo trademark. Second, our example is overscanning 6% on the left and 7% on the right, which I personally consider severe for modern tvs now. Top-bottom overscan is minimal. Geometry is quite good though. There is a little bowing on 3 sides but it's very minor and I've seen worse from all the other major brands. The black levels seem a bit improved over previous Sanyos, and I also noticed that contrast adjust range is very "hot", meaning that at only about 33% on the bar the white levels are already too high. I'm sure they set them up this way in the SM. Out of the box the white level is set WAY too high and the black level too low, but color and tint are pretty close to correct according to DVE. The only other thing I noticed was some purity issues on a pure white screen test. The color wasn't uniform, mostly looking as if parts of the screen were exihibint a higher color termperature with blue tinting. The warm color temp setting seems pretty close to D6500k though. I can't comment on the quality of the line doubler, since there aren't any good sources to judge from. My dept is up for mod change and our dvd player selection is terrible right now, so I was using the $59 dollar sanyo player. I think it's in progressive output mode (some dolt threw the manual away, so I can't tell anymore), and since it's a flag reading progressive player I would have preferred it if the player were in interlaced mode so I could see how the tv handles the upconversion itself. The re-designed menus and remote control are slick.

The manual is terrible. It doesn't list ANY information about native display rates. It only states that it is a 1080i display. It's possible that is the ONLY native rate and everything gets upsampled to 1080i, but I think it's more likely that is supports a 480p native mode too. I'm sure that's what we're seeing when it's playing the walmart tv feed.

For anybody curious, the reason Sanyo is only sold at Wal-Mart is because we have a financial interest in their company. I wouldn't say wal-mart owns Sanyo, but unofficially that's the case. That's also why they are the only brand that benefits from a 1-year instore return period. Overall quite a good set for the money. I can't dig up an item number for the 30" model, but will keep checking.
post #28 of 1338 Old 04-27-2004, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, I forgot to mention that red push is is present on this set too, but is pretty mild. I'd say compared to the "average" red push on tvs these days it's on the mild side for sure. It's not as bad as any other Sanyo on the wall, to be sure. Using the warm color temp doesn't seem to exaggerate the red push as much as it does on the other sets.
post #29 of 1338 Old 04-27-2004, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've never owned a Sanyo TV but I just checked Consumer Reports Repair History data and its actualy listed as the most reliable brand for 30-32" sets, I'd post a direct link but its a pay site ($20/year, not bad really) ,anyhow here it is:

http://s94776705.onlinehome.us/cr_repair_history.jpg
post #30 of 1338 Old 04-27-2004, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack White
This other guy who also happens to work at Wally World claims that it also costs $747.
http://forums.animeondvd.com/showfla...91&Main=446614
Haha. I would be that other guy. I guess since the screen names are almost identical it gives it away pretty easily. :D I can't be sure on the 30" being the same price, but walmart is big on spreading the same price around as much as possible to make things more shopper friendly. FWIW, though, I think I was talking about the 32" model when I posted that on the AoD forums.
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page