New "HS420" line from Sony... under the radar? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 189 Old 06-22-2004, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I finally got my 32HS420 last friday and must say I am very impressed. The picture is simply gorgeous when watching DVD's and playing games, and even normal analog T.V looks better.

I was also very relieved to find that the set I got dosent seem to suffer from the terrible geometry my 27" wega did. My only complaint is that the delivery people kept the damn box which will make it a real pain to move.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 189 Old 06-22-2004, 01:04 PM

The local GG just called to say my set (KV-30HS420) came in on today's shipment from the regional warehouse, and delivery could be accomplished later this afternoon. When the salesmen asked if I wanted to change my mind about the extended warranty, I said what the hell and signed up for three years. So I don't have the mental discipline to act on my convictions that the warranties aren't worth the money. I rationalized that I was just giving them back their 10% discount on the MSRP.

Bill

Bill Bunker
post #93 of 189 Old 06-22-2004, 06:58 PM

Tweeter has the KV34HS510 34" Widescreen model on sale at 25% off. Probably because of competition from the new 420 line, including the 34" widescreen version. JandR sent me an email saying the KV-34HS420 is now available for shipping. The price for the new model is the same as that being offered by Tweeter.
post #94 of 189 Old 06-22-2004, 07:10 PM

My KV-30HS420 was delivered and installed this afternoon. The young man setting it up was surprised that he couldn't invoke a stretch mode of some sort to alter the standard 4:3 AR and eliminate the pillar-box gray bars. I told him not to worry about it, as I was good at reading the manuals. But now I wonder if I'm missing something.

The input is from a Motorola 6200 cable box set to deliver 1080i via component connections (my DVI-HDMI cable is on order). The "480i override" (whatever that is), is set to "off".

When the program isn't HD, then the AR remains 4:3. When it is HD, the set switches to 16:9. Any attempt to change the 4:3 mode by pushing the "screen mode" button on the remote has no effect.

This is ok with me, as the pillar box arrangement doesn't offend me. When the manual is scrutinized, the instructions suggest that mode changes are possible in the 27, 32, 34, but there is no mention of the 30. Maybe this just means that the manual was written before the appearance of the 30-in set, but maybe not.

Anyone know about this?

I haven't even tried watching a DVD yet.

Bill Bunker
post #95 of 189 Old 06-22-2004, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sodbuster
My KV-30HS420 was delivered and installed this afternoon. The young man setting it up was surprised that he couldn't invoke a stretch mode of some sort to alter the standard 4:3 AR and eliminate the pillar-box gray bars. I told him not to worry about it, as I was good at reading the manuals. But now I wonder if I'm missing something.

The input is from a Motorola 6200 cable box set to deliver 1080i via component connections (my DVI-HDMI cable is on order). The "480i override" (whatever that is), is set to "off".

The 4:3 override setting affects the signal sent for 4:3 programming. Other choices are 480i and 480p, both of which should allow for you to stretch the non-HD 4:3 programming.
post #96 of 189 Old 06-22-2004, 10:10 PM

Liked: 11
bill, all the stretch modes work fine on my similar setup, so something is wrong on your end. It could be something simple. I lost fullscreen display on HDTV until I discovered that I had hit the tv/video button.
Is your cable provider ordering the DVI cable for you, or are you buying it on your own?
post #97 of 189 Old 06-22-2004, 10:38 PM

Thanks, guys, I'll activate the override setting and see what happens. It sounds like that will make the difference.

As for the DVI cable, I took SixIron's advice from a previous post and ordered a 6-ft DVI to HDMI cable from pccables.com for $30 including shipping. I didn't shop around at all, but did notice some priced at multiples of that number.

Bill Bunker
post #98 of 189 Old 06-23-2004, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

The manual for the entire 420 line is available online at one of the Sony websites. I'm no good at html stuff so check out the "xbr920 manual now online" thread going on here in the hardware forum for the link.

-Reagan

The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.
post #99 of 189 Old 06-23-2004, 03:42 PM

Anyone made any tweaks to their new HS420 that they want to share?

I have the 34HS420.

Service Menu: [Pwr Off], [Disp], [5], [Vol+], [Pwr On]
post #100 of 189 Old 06-23-2004, 06:29 PM

Just got back from Best Buy..

They had the 30HS420 on display. It was being fed a rather crappy analog signal(at least I hope it was analog), but what can you do? :) They had it regularly priced at $924.99, which I thought was weird, plus the free TV stand deal that they advertised.

I'm not too sure on the purchase yet, but the cheaper-than-expected pricetag certainly has a strong aura of influence :D
post #101 of 189 Old 06-24-2004, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks, guys, I'll activate the override setting and see what happens. It sounds like that will make the difference.

As for the DVI cable, I took SixIron's advice from a previous post and ordered a 6-ft DVI to HDMI cable from pccables.com for $30 including shipping. I didn't shop around at all, but did notice some priced at multiples of that number.
I received and hooked up my cable last night Sodbuster. It works fine. I haven't tried any switching between HDMI and component yet to see if it actually makes any pq diff.
post #102 of 189 Old 06-24-2004, 07:50 AM

Liked: 12
Just got off the phone with the BB in Syracuse NY and they have it listed for 999.99 with the free stand. Wonder why it is cheaper at your BB?

I have a $50 gift card I have had since Christmas. Should I get this set for my bedroom?

post #103 of 189 Old 06-24-2004, 11:04 AM

I noticed that CC's website had the 30-in set for just under $900 plus free delivery (delivery may have been a weekly special). This is without a stand.

Of course delivery is off the truck to your "curb" and then you're on your own. After watching two young men wrestle my set around the house on a dolly and then heft it into the house for installation, I was glad I opted for the local delivery fee and installation (this was from Good Guys, but CC had a similar deal).

I also had some insight into the usefulness of cables longer than 3-ft. My set was installed in one of those niches that's part of a larger wall unit consisting mostly of bookshelves. Below the surface upon which the set rests is a 2X2 array of shallow cubicles, suitable for the cable box, VCR, and DVD player. Because the set fits the recessed space with only a couple of inches to spare, trying to use the short cables was difficult if not impossible.

The Comcast installer had left a component cable that was 6 feet long...too long, really, but better too long than too short. When my DVI cable arrives, I will use it to connect the Comcast cable box to the TV, and move that component cable to the DVD player (currently connected with a composite video hookup). If the DVI arrangement proves clearly superior, I will consider moving on to a DVD player with DVI out...but then I will need a switch, etc.

One damn thing leads to another.

Bill Bunker
post #104 of 189 Old 06-24-2004, 01:18 PM

These are now starting to show up on the Canadian Sonystyle website.

Woot!
post #105 of 189 Old 06-24-2004, 03:10 PM

Liked: 11
sodbuster,
Did you ask comcast if the DVI connection is enabled? My local comcast doesn't recommend that connection.
post #106 of 189 Old 06-24-2004, 03:25 PM

Quote:
I noticed that CC's website had the 30-in set for just under $900 plus free delivery (delivery may have been a weekly special). This is without a stand.

Of course delivery is off the truck to your "curb" and then you're on your own.
I thought so too, but check CC's delivery options on their web site. Even the basic (free) method includes bringing the set into your house, hooking it up and getting a picture. I suspect that last bit might protect them from liability, since they know the set was working when they left. The guys who delivered my 30" last Saturday actually recognized the component cable I had hanging from my DVD player, hooked it up along with everything else, and tried showing me how to use the remote before I shooed them out of my house.
post #107 of 189 Old 06-24-2004, 03:59 PM

Thanks for the correction...that does make sense from a liabliity standpoint. My delivery guys also hooked up everything that was within their sight, consulting me about what option to choose and what cables were available. The only place the one who programmed the remote fell short was not knowing enough about the cable box to find the menu (I had been shown by the cable installer), and what setting to leave the "480i override" on....but that wasn't really his responsibility. That's why he couldn't get the set into any of the stretch modes. Too bad I didn't have the info from this thread at the time, he would have welcomed the information as much as I did.

Bill Bunker
post #108 of 189 Old 06-24-2004, 09:38 PM

Is there much of a difference between this and the Sanyo (minus the tuner, which has no bearing on my decision)? Is the extra money really worth it? It's pretty well known that Sony charges a premium for the namebrand...just a slight concern :)
post #109 of 189 Old 06-24-2004, 09:55 PM

Some of the differences might be subjective, so your best bet is to see them in-person if you can. I was able to compare the Sony and Philips 30" widescreens side-by-side at Fry's and came to the conclusion that the Sony is absolutely worth the extra $120 ($999 vs $879 MSRP). This was based on picture quality, menu navigation, and plain old look & feel.

I also read about some problems getting Philips sets repaired, where people were without their TV for 6+ weeks while they waited for replacement parts. I've had good luck with Sony in that regard, so that was another plus for me.

I saw that thread about the Sanyo widescreen at Walmart, with some people saying their old Sanyo sets were still alive and kicking. That's positive, and I was very interested, but we don't have a Super Walmart around here, afaik. The electronics department in my local (Union City, CA) Walmart is only slightly bigger than my living room.

So in my estimation, recently re-evaluated, Sony still wins in the TV department.
post #110 of 189 Old 06-28-2004, 05:35 PM

I just bought the 30" set today from Tweeter. It will be delivered this week. Don't have HD cable yet but I am looking forward to watching DVD's on this set. Should be much improved over my 27" magnavox. I was going to get the Toshiba on clearance from Amazon but decided on the Sony. The last Sony I had lasted for about 15 years. I know they don't make them like they used to but I still hope it lasts for a while and I get my money's worth!

PAT
post #111 of 189 Old 06-30-2004, 07:13 PM

My DVI-HDMI cable arrived today from PC Cables. It's described as a DVI-D-M to HDMI model.

Hooked up and got picture, but no sound. Do I need the DVI-I type instead for it to carry both video and audio?

Bill Bunker
post #112 of 189 Old 06-30-2004, 11:02 PM

Ah... You need to have an all HDMI connection to get sound. DVI only does video, so since you're going from DVI-HDMI you'll have to hook up the analog audio also.
post #113 of 189 Old 06-30-2004, 11:59 PM

i'm very interested in getting one of the new sony 420s, either the 30" or the 34". one thing i'm interested in knowing is if anyone of you is connecting it to a htpc through dvi to hdmi cable? does it work? how well?

thanks.
post #114 of 189 Old 07-01-2004, 12:37 AM

Ok, thanks. I just took another look at the input panel on the back, and there is indeed a set of audio inputs for input #7 (#7 being required for the HDMI). Hooking them up got everything working for the cable box with optimal video management, and freed up the component cable for use with my cheap DVD player.

So everything is satisfactory. I'm very out of date on TV technology, and find the array of inputs and the implementation of their management to be quite amazing. The only other input to the set is from a VCR. Having the set able to cycle among the three hot inputs without ever hitting on any of the tuner channels is wonderful. In my location, there is no way to pick up any OTA transmissions.

Thanks to contributors to this thread for not only calling my attention to this Sony model, but for helping with the setup.

Bill Bunker
post #115 of 189 Old 07-10-2004, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

FYI everybody, Crutchfield's have very good photos of the 34HS420, including the jacks at the back, remote and front panel:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ZtOY1LM...158KV34HS4#Tab
post #116 of 189 Old 07-16-2004, 01:11 AM

Why doesn't someone turn this into "The Official KV-27/32/36HS420 thread"? There should be enough of them out to start reporting on them, specifically.
post #117 of 189 Old 07-16-2004, 02:14 AM

I agree...Information on this set is somewhat lacking in comparison to others (*cough*Sanyo*sneeze*) :D
post #118 of 189 Old 07-17-2004, 11:39 PM

Well I finally made up my mind and bought the 36HS420. I had been interested in the 34XBR960 but shyed away because of some problems reported on the "Offiical" thread.
With the 36" 4:3 set, I'll still get 33" widescreen and can enjoy the 4:3 programing . 80% of this households viewing is SD/Digital cable, with some DVD's and I'll add the HD STB this week.

I had been waiting for the 960 to come to Hawaii, at CC but that wait allowed me to read more posts and change my mind. Man this forum is great for info.
CC had just received the 420's and had it on display. Only 4 in stock so I had to move fast. I went down today, 3 instock and I noticed a guy buying one while I waited for a salesman??? to approach me. Well most of the "kids" just stand around and wait for you to say "I want to by something". Please don't ask any questions cuz they don't have a clue. I asked him if I could get a better price than the MSRP listed. NO. I told him I had seen the 420 on their site last week for $100 less, but they didn't have any stock then. Blank look. I told him that Sears had them for less than CC. Blank stare. I asked to see the manager. Duh, a what? I finally spied an old CC guy like me and explained my story to him. He said he could do the $100 less no problem. I asked about the stand. No stock. How do you sell a big TV with no stand"? CC apparently does. So I remembered a post about a Z-line stand for the 960. I asked what he had and he led me to the Z-line. Nice stand and a very nice price @ $100 less than the Sony. I took it.
When he wrote up the order he knocked another $50 off the TV, so I got a 10% reduction, a great stand. Now I am a hapy customer. Haggle, Haggle. Name of the game. Know what you want up front and settle for nothing less.
It will be delivered tomorrow, ya on Sunday!
This coming week is going to be a blast. I will finally get to use my Zenith DVB-318 DVD player, order a HD stb from TW Cable, it's nice to live less than 1 mile from the cable co.
Al
post #119 of 189 Old 07-18-2004, 02:53 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally posted by weetoots
Well I finally made up my mind and bought the 36HS420.

.....With the 36" 4:3 set, I'll still get 33" widescreen and can enjoy the 4:3 programing . 80% of this households viewing is SD/Digital cable, with some DVD's and I'll add the HD STB this week.

.....It will be delivered tomorrow, ya on Sunday!
Please give a report once you get it up and running. My boss is looking to get a new 36" set and i recommended the 36HS420 since he watches everything through DirecTV Tivo and wouldn't be needing 2 tuners or PIP. I think you might be the first one on the board to get the 36-incher :)

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #120 of 189 Old 07-19-2004, 01:54 AM

Review of the 36HS420 Serial #9003XXX
It looks a lot bigger in my little apt than in the store, but I've always had big TV's.
My equipment:
SA Explorer 2000 digital STB
Series 2 TIVO 80hr
Zenith DVB318
Pioneer SE-DIR800C wireless Dolby Headphones

First I must say I am lucky to live within 1 mile of the cable headend. Great signal on SD and Digital. I will call for a HD STB tomorrow.

I have my cable split, one side (coax) going directly to the TV RF in. This gives me "basic cable " channels through the RF in.
The other side (coax) goes to the cable STB, this includes "basic and digital channels". From the cable box I run S-video and audio to the TIVO. From the TIVO S-video and audio is passed to the TV through the Video 1 input.
The DVD is component cabled to the Video 6. I am going to use Video 5 when I get the HD STB and route the TIVO to Video 1, since the TIVO doesn't have component out connector.

I turned on the TV and let it warm up for 30 minutes. I then made video correction with the DVE dvd. Some correction was needed. Unfortunately there are no numbers shown to help you know where you have corrected to, just a sliding scale of little bars. So if you want that info, you'll have to back all the way down and count each and every click of the bar.
Nice clean picture.
I left the picture in Standard mode.
Color temp "Neutral".
Clear edge VM "Low ". I need to experiment with this one. It will either be "Low" or "Off".
DRC mode "CineMotion".
If you mess up and don't like what you did, The factory default settings for Picture, Brightness, Color, Hue, Sharpness, Color Temp nad ClearEdge VM can be reset by pressing the "reset" button on the remote.
The manual is pretty easy to follow, but watch for specific notes highlighted in Blue. Also watch for instructions that only apply to the KV-27/3/36HS420 or the KV-30/34HS40.
One thing I liked was the ablility to "skip" video inputs that aren't used.

The picture - Fantastic!!!!
Basic cable through the RF in. It depends on the station (channel) some came through very clear and a few looked grainy, like looking at a newspaper to close. I found most of these were from old reruns that were shot with film, like Quincy. They also looked less than clear from the STB so it is probably poor before it gets to the cable co.
Digital cable is very nice, clear, great color , no artifacts. About what I would expect from S-video. The HD cable STB has component out so I expect much better pictures on SD and Digital channels.

DVD input through component.
I watched the Last Samurai tonight. 1080i out from the DVD player, Letterboxed 2:40, this is what it's all about. Great color, clear detail. WOW.
Zoom works but I like it boxed. at this ratio. 1:78 and lower would zoom out better, filling more of the screen.

Am disappointed that I didn't get the 34XBR960, no. I get that screen size anyway on 16:9.
This set can only get better with some burn-in time.
IMHO this is a very good TV, maybe the 36" isn't your size but the "420" is a winner.
Al
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page