The Official Zenith c27v36 thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-17-2005, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone else seen this?

On component inputs, sometimes when the set is coming on, with component video selected, there is a glitch across the middle of the screen, sort of skewed and shifting. Looks darker in that area than the rest of the screen.

This has been witnessed on both component inputs(with dvd player, and my xbox)

thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2005, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

sometimes
i just turn it off/on and it fixes it
id like to know the real solution as well
Old 06-18-2005, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewZorn View Post

sometimes
i just turn it off/on and it fixes it
id like to know the real solution as well

It goes away after a few seconds, it is not very encouraging though. I'm probably going to make a list of things and have someone come out to work on it(in home manufacturer warranty right?)
Old 06-18-2005, 08:53 AM

Thought it would be nice to have an official c26v36 warranty repair thread, where people could post there experiences/what they have gotten repaired under warranty.

Here are some things I will be trying to get fixed/corrected:

- Component glitch(couple posts back)
- Speaker hum(try to get them to put some shielding on the lines inside)
- The 16:9 mode pixel bar at the top right corner

I will certainly post my results in such a thread.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

The speaker hum comes from the power supply, replacing it should fix the problem (see if you can get the store to do that though).
I doubt they will be able to remove the 16:9 pixel. I don't see why this bothers so many people... it is supposed to be there, and I think it's good.

I called Circuit City out on the component thing as well as the blue bar in the middle (some don't have it, but you can only see it on like an all-white screen), and some geometry problems I couldn't fix with the service remote. What did the bastard say? "You're too picky!" as he laughed. Apparently my warranty didn't cover such 'minor' things. Should have never bought it if they were going to be such *******s.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:42 PM

Quote:

The speaker hum comes from the power supply, replacing it should fix the problem (see if you can get the store to do that though).

WHat do you mean by getting the store to "do that" You mean replace the power supply? Do they do that normally? I could see exchanging TVs maybe, but they don't have anymore.

Did they tell you the component "glitch" I was describing is one of the minor things?

I want to get the in home manufacturer warranty service while I can.

I bought the 5 year carry in warranty from goodguys, so when it does go down, they'll probably just give me a new, better tv(a few years down the road hopefully).
Old 06-18-2005, 10:46 PM

Quote:

I doubt they will be able to remove the 16:9 pixel. I don't see why this bothers so many people... it is supposed to be there, and I think it's good.

Please explain why the 16:9 pixel marker is good/normal. It doesn't really bother me all that much, but it's a little weird. My friends samsung with vertical compression(16:9 scanning mode) doesn't show anything like that.

By the way, his samsung has some bad geometry probs in 16:9 most notably, the picture looks like it is bowed inward(curved towards the center, on the horizontal axis).
Old 06-18-2005, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustScott View Post

Anyone have this problem?

I'm using component and DVI inputs from various sources in 480p and 1080i On occasion (quite random), the picture will go briefly, re-display the component input or DVI indication, and return to normal picture. No channel or input source changes are being done. Ive tried both component inputs and DVI with different cables and the results are the same. Is anyone else having such troubles? Any information would be helpful, thanks you.

I wish I could tell you I knew what the problem was but for the first time I hooked up something to the component video (an XBOX we just bought for our son) and ours (a c32v36 by the way) does EXACTLY the same thing. I checked both component inputs and I also tried a GoVideo DVD player in both and again, same problem.

I have no clue and was hoping someone here would know what was going on. It's really annoying. All the other inputs work fine.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchfudge View Post

WHat do you mean by getting the store to "do that" You mean replace the power supply? Do they do that normally? I could see exchanging TVs maybe, but they don't have anymore.

Did they tell you the component "glitch" I was describing is one of the minor things?

I want to get the in home manufacturer warranty service while I can.

I bought the 5 year carry in warranty from goodguys, so when it does go down, they'll probably just give me a new, better tv(a few years down the road hopefully).

If you have a warranty, they probably will replace it.
If you can reproduce the glitch (I could not) they might fix it. I was talking about geometry problems and the blue line which were apparently not important enough for big-mister-repair-man.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchfudge View Post

Please explain why the 16:9 pixel marker is good/normal. It doesn't really bother me all that much, but it's a little weird. My friends samsung with vertical compression(16:9 scanning mode) doesn't show anything like that.

By the way, his samsung has some bad geometry probs in 16:9 most notably, the picture looks like it is bowed inward(curved towards the center, on the horizontal axis).

I just like it because it's like an LED for 16:9 mode, I just don't understand how it drives some people crazy when every other LED on their stuff does not... it just bothers me absoluetely none. The only thing that does bother me is it shows me how much divergence there is on my TV, which would be helpful for fixing it, except only the right side of my TV is divergent. If you see a red dot, a green dot, and a blue dot instead of a white dot that means that the color is not converging, at least in this area.
If it bothers you a lot you can use the service menu to expand the image until the dot is overscanned... I believe that this pixel should be overscanned, I just don't like that much overscan. I think that is why it's there, becuase they probably try to overscan it on most sets but a few slip through where it is visible.
Samsung I used to know the service menu code for, but if he could find it, he could definately fix it, but be sure to know what you are doing and record all initial variables.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJATK View Post

I wish I could tell you I knew what the problem was but for the first time I hooked up something to the component video (an XBOX we just bought for our son) and ours (a c32v36 by the way) does EXACTLY the same thing. I checked both component inputs and I also tried a GoVideo DVD player in both and again, same problem.

I have no clue and was hoping someone here would know what was going on. It's really annoying. All the other inputs work fine.

I got more success getting around this issue when I changed to component source FIRST then turned on the device... it happened much less, maybe even not at all. The issue may be related to the TV switching from no signal to signal, which would make sense since that black screen is not the actual signal, but a lower cut-off signal, so this could cause issues. Everyone that is having this problem, try switching to component THEN turn on the device...
Old 06-19-2005, 08:50 PM

Quote:

The only thing that does bother me is it shows me how much divergence there is on my TV, which would be helpful for fixing it, except only the right side of my TV is divergent. If you see a red dot, a green dot, and a blue dot instead of a white dot that means that the color is not converging, at least in this area.

Up close I can see the seperate color triads for the 16:9 pixel bar, divergence I guess.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Yup... if you have a THX DVD like Finding Nemo, you can see divergence on the squares and dots pattern. I have pretty good convergence except on the right side, which is pretty bad... I can't even make myself see a white dot, it is 3 completely seperate dots.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:29 PM

Hey

I happen to own this TV like the rest of you and have struggled to get the a good image via DVI from a PC. So far, I've only gotten about 2 resolutions that work without chopping off image and all... but it still doesn't seem good enough. Many people in other topics have struggled with this problem as well.

However, I looked through powerstrip and looked into the monitor information. The Image Size listed is 710 x 400 mm (34"). Whenever I switched to 1280x720p or anything, I'd see bits of the image cut off. Even a visit to the service menu couldn't solve it. The only choice was to settle with strange custom resolutions, but it just doesn't seem good enough. I'll be upgrading soon and getting a Geforce 6600gt with component output, so hopefully things will be slightly better.

What I wonder is why the image size is listed as such. Perhaps the unit itself, including cabinet, is 34", but the monitor is 27". Could this be the reason for all the cutoff and stuff? Is there a workaround for this? Possibly a way to specify the scaling? There's centered output... display adapter scaling... monitor scaling... and aspect ratio scaling. Is there a way to manually define some of this stuff? These are just some thoughts.

Hopefully my unit won't experience some of the problems you guys have had... got it about a year ago. I also hope that somebody more knowledgable than me will come on and explain this for me. Is this image size normal? Or is it the cause and something that could be worked around?
Old 06-19-2005, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Well of course there is cutoff, it's overscan. This is normal and good, you'll appreciate it over time. I tried and successfully made an image that did not overscan once, and it is no good... you see ugly edges of the picture, the end of the scan zone, and darker scenes make the image smaller due to blooming. Adjustments can be made in the service menu, hold MENU on the set for a second then push MENU on the remote. It was HSIZE and VSIZE that change this, but again, I'd say overscan it about 1" on the sides and a little less on the top and bottom.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:53 PM

Quote:

Well of course there is cutoff, it's overscan. This is normal and good, you'll appreciate it over time. I tried and successfully made an image that did not overscan once, and it is no good... you see ugly edges of the picture, the end of the scan zone, and darker scenes make the image smaller due to blooming. Adjustments can be made in the service menu, hold MENU on the set for a second then push MENU on the remote. It was HSIZE and VSIZE that change this, but again, I'd say overscan it about 1" on the sides and a little less on the top and bottom.

For games, it can be a definite pain/disadvantage. I suppose the best way to go in that case would be to clip a certain amount on the sides and simply negate the extra FOV. However, it is still a significant disadvantage. Plus, the up down overscan is not good. I assume you speak of movies/tv?

An overscan free image would be much appreciated. Is there any way to do this on a direct tube or am I going to have to go over to LCD for that?
Old 06-19-2005, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

If you're talking about PC games, there are sometimes options to pull the HUD in.
If you're talking about console games, none really push the HUD out past the overscan area... console games account for overscan.

You can adjust this in the service menu as I said before. It's just if you cut it really close, you'll see the edge of the image sometimes. On top of that, it looks really bad because it accentuates any problems in geometry since you won't see a perfectly edged rectangle, but it will probably look wavy on the sides.

Just overscan it a little. Enough so you never see the edges of the image. This is best done on a PC, find an overscan pattern or something (I'd email you all my tools, but again, no computer right now), and set it to like 50 pixels on the sides, then instead of overscanning the top and bottom, just adjust the height until circles are circular and the top/bottom overscan will then be set.

Yes, a fixed pixel display would be the only way to get a zero overscan image. It's hardly worth it, especially just to eliminate overscan. Even plasma TVs and the such ship with an overscanned image... you'd have to enter the service menu on those to fix that. Overscan is just a necessary evil in the world of TVs.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:37 AM

The HD mode is not working. Quite simply, when set is in HD mode the image flashes in and out. When I press enter on the remote, the set does not "accept" HD mode and the image continues to flash in and out. I can actually hear the electrical current in the back of the set change as the image flashes in and out.

Has anyone experienced a problem like this?
Old 03-15-2006, 08:27 PM

Hi, I have some questions about adjusting the overscan on this tv. First, should I do it and is it safe? Second, which settings out of these do I need to mess with in order to manipulate overscan? Is it like a computer monitor that I need to reposition the screen using the v/h posi, size? I ask because I have heard overscan described more as a zoom type of thing. See the screen already takes up my whole tv so I can't really stretch it anymore. So then what setting is for overscan?

Also does changing overscan for when I am using high definition content will it mess with my low definition content?For example I want to fix my overscan in Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter for xbox 360 but don't want to mess up my dvds which run in 480p or my standard cable television signal.

I would post a picture show you an example but don't have 5 posts yet. On my screen I would say maybe 1 inch on all sides is cut off based on this screen shot of the game compared to mine. It annoys me cause parts of the hud are sticking out over the screen-- it just looks very unrealistic. Did the developers not account for overscan correctly or is my tv overscanning too much? Edit: Also if this developer didn't account for overscan and I play a game where the developers did then that game would look weird? If this is the case then it is best to jus leave it alone or is there a perfect setting that will work in both cases?

Here is the menu as posted earlier in this thread. I have yet to look at the menu my self. Do these numbers actually show up so that I can record my settings before messing with this stuff? If not that is a little scary to me. Thank you for your help guys.

CXA2150 DEF
V-POSI 21 vertical positioning
V-SIZE 28 vertical size
H-POSI 26 horizontal positioning
H-SIZE 51 horizontal size
PIN-PH 18
AFC-AN 30
AFC-BO 33
PIN-AM 29
UP-COR 31
LO-COR 29
UP-VLI 2
LO-VLI 2
V-LINE 5 vertical linearity? trying to get this to do what i want.
S-CORR 5
V-SCRO 26

OSD POSITION : 4 on-screen-display position (from left)

CXA21501080i ALL OF THESE ARE THE SAME AS CXA2150 DEF AND IF YOU CHANGE THEM IN EITHER PLACE THEY BOTH CHANGE... WHAT???
V-POSI 21
V-SIZE 28
H-POSI 26
H-SIZE 51
PIN-PH 18
AFC-AN 30
AFC-BO 33
PIN-AM 29
UP-COR 31
LO-COR 29
UP-VLI 2
LO-VLI 2
V-LINE 5
S-CORR 5
V-SCRO 26

RGB W/B ADJ
R-DRIV 36
G-DRIV 31
B-DRIV 36
R-CUTO 35
G-CUTO 31
B-CUTO 36

2150 EX0 ADJ
D-COL 0
GAMM-L 0
COL-AX 1
CTI-LE 2
LTI-LE 0
GAMMA 1
ABL-MO 1
ABL-TH 8
VM-LEV 3
PRE/OV 0
DPI-LE 3
DC-TRA 3
SUB-CO 14
P-ABL 10

2150 EX1 ADJ
SHP-FO 1
CB-OFF 31
CR-OFF 31
Y-OFFS 7
UP-BLK 0
LO-BLK 3
LRGB-L 7
V-COMP 4
H-COMP 5
PLI-LE 1
BLK-BO 1
SUB-BR 0
AGI-B 0
AGI-W 0
V-ON 1

2150 EX2 ADJ
AKBTIM 10
EW-DC 0
VBL-SW 1
LEF-BL 40
RIG-BL 0
ZOM-SW 0
V-ASPE 41 same as vertical size???
SubTIN 24
SubCOL 2
WB-SW 0
S-ABL 1
CTI-MO 0
LTI-MO 2
SYSTEM 2
ASP-SW 0

YPbPr ADJ
Y Adj
PbPr Adj
G Gain 117
R Offset 51
G Offset 45
B Offset 58
Old 03-21-2006, 08:55 PM

I don't get it... heard an occasional popping sound and then the set went dark. Occasionally the sound tries to come on for a fraction of a second but it is dead. So any ideas...
Old 03-21-2006, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Mauibob, this happened to my set exactly one year after I bought it. The repairman ended up replacing the main board and it has been fine since. Apparently Zenith is familiar with this problem. I think it is the power supply board but am not positive.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:13 PM

I have had this same problem.... Reply back to me if you can follow up....I don't get it... heard an occasional popping sound and then the set went dark. Occasionally the sound tries to come on for a fraction of a second but it is dead. Help me out please if you can
Old 08-03-2006, 02:34 PM

I have a question. Why do I get a white glow with the dvi hookup. I have the hda1 hd dvd player hooked up to it with a dvi adapter.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well, I have had this TV for over 3 years, 4 months and the Zenith C27V36 is still fantastic.

EXCELLENT OVERALL PERFORMER!!

I have YET(KNOCK ON WOOD) to experience the problems others have had.

This TV was definitely worth the $590 I spent over 3 years ago for it.

Great performer, and overall great picture from ANY source(after calibration of course).

Awesome during football season with the PIP Split Screen.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:28 AM

Yup, great for me, too. Just a bit of buzzing, but it's inaudible next to even a low normal level of audio.

Good stuff. One day I'll move it to another room, but for now...great!

My Dolphins still stink this year. Has your team figured out how to get a refund from your QB for the games he played in earlier this year with a scrambled brain?
Old 03-16-2007, 05:06 PM

Well last night my Zenith C27v36 screen went black, Ive had the buzzing noise for awhile, it smelled like burning wires so ive unplugged it, any suggestions on what I should go about fixing or doing. Thanks
Old 06-06-2007, 04:54 PM

Liked: 11
Had this TV for about 3 years now. Love it!!! Paid $510 for it from CC which included the 3 year agreement. About 3 weeks ago it just dropped dead. No picture, no sound and it wouldn't turn on. Scrambled to find the service agreement and holt sh*t, I couldn't believe it... I had 2 days left on it. I just got the TV back from repair and I was told that it would have cost well over $500 to have it fixed. One of the boards had blown. I really couldn't be happier with this set. Football season is awesome on this thing.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Sorry to hear what happened to your Zenith C27V36 Virgil69.

I still have mine and after 3 years and 9 months it is still working perfectly.

Wait a minute?

I smell smoke.

I see fire.

OH SH*T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-31-2007, 12:31 AM

I have a Zenith c32v36 HD tv that just crapped out on my this afternoon. I bought the tv new a few years ago. After about a year I started seeing a very distinct image destortion that is hard for me to explain.

______ ______
______ --> ______
______ ______

It's like every horizontal line is shifting for left to right really fast for just a few seconds, then it stops and does it again for alittle bit. It only seemed to happen just a few moments after the tv was first turned on, after it sat for awhile turned off. The destortion stopped happening the day before I was going to have it serviced and that was almost a year ago. Just last night I saw the destortion again twice and this time the tv had been on for awhile. Then the next day it did it again soon after I turned it on. Less than an hour after that the screen went black and there was no audio. I knew the set was still on because the LED light on the front gets brighter when the set is off. So I shut the tv off and turned it back on only to find there was no picture and the audio was cutting in and out. Turned it off and on again and there was nothing, just the smell of something getting hot.

I will be able to get the tv looked at in a week. I came on here to maybe get some insight on the problem so that the repair shop doesn't work me over to hard.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:14 PM

Just discovered this thread. Since there are some fairly recent postings, I'll go ahead and address some of the old issues that I see. I got my C27V36 during the 2004 Goodguys blowout mentioned in some of the early postings. It has probably been on for an average of 30 hours per week, plus it has been through one rough move and a few gentle ones, and it still works great. Thanks to moves and equipment upgrades I have used almost every feature without a glitch. Currently using a HDMI-->DVI adaptor to run it off of my HD cable box with no problems.

At one point, when I had it on the same circuit as a computer and printer I started getting 60 cycle hum in the speakers. I moved it to a different circuit and the problem went away.

My unit is most definitely a two tuner pip. The date on mine is April 2004. Could it be that they upgraded the units and never fixed the sales literature to reflect the second tuner?

The closest thing to a defect with mine is that the levels on the line level sound outputs are very low. I have a pair of wireless headphones which work fine with everything else that I own. When I used to run them off the Zenith, they would drop out from no signal unless I turned the TV volume all the way to the top.