post #121 of 138 Old 12-08-2007, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus7821 View Post

My unit is most definitely a two tuner pip. The date on mine is April 2004. Could it be that they upgraded the units and never fixed the sales literature to reflect the second tuner?

The closest thing to a defect with mine is that the levels on the line level sound outputs are very low. I have a pair of wireless headphones which work fine with everything else that I own. When I used to run them off the Zenith, they would drop out from no signal unless I turned the TV volume all the way to the top.

It is possible that they just never fixed the literature in the manual to reflect that it does indeed have 2 tuners in the unit.

Mine was made in September 2003, and has 2 tuners.

Anyway, about the wireless headphones. I think with the front input for headphones(if this the one you are using. The 3.5mm plug under the front door flap), has VARIABLE AUDIO OUTPUT. This means that audio output is adjustable through the volume level of the tv.

Unlike FIXED AUDIO OUT which is set at a comfortable level at all times, and is adjusted by the source receiving the audio. Like a receiver. Or in this case a set of wireless headphones which may have there own volume control.

This may be true of the AUDIO OUT in the back as well.

In the menu, there appears(I never use the audio out, so I am not 100% certain on this) to be a SEPARATE VOLUME for the headphone out.

It is symbolized by a headphone looking logo, followed by a volume control.

I think if you adjust that, you audio problems may be fixed. It appears to be a separate volume control for headphones, and not the speakers of the tv, which is controled by the main volume control.

This is just a guess since I don't use wireless headphones with mine.

I will try to dig up the manual, and see if it explains it there.

If I find it, and you still have yours, I will point you to the page in the manual where this info is discussed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 138 Old 12-08-2007, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am referring to the line outputs in the back (the ones you would use to feed sound to a separate amp.) The main volume control controls the level on these, even when one has turned off the speakers in the menu.

You are correct that the levels at the headphone output on the front can also be adjusted. I never used this much, since it is not active when the unit is getting its sound via the component connections.
post #123 of 138 Old 12-08-2007, 03:00 PM

Quick question...

Is there a way to disable the power button on the front of the TV? I browsed through the menus and didn't see anything, and unfortunately got rid of my manuals a while back.

(My 16 month old keeps turning off the tv while we are watching it )
post #124 of 138 Old 12-08-2007, 08:47 PM

Correction: The "special" menu (the one with a star symbol) contains an item called "Key lock" that is what you want. This is the menu which also contains the parental control item.
post #125 of 138 Old 12-26-2007, 01:00 PM

hopefully everyones still out there. my wife and i recieved this tv free a couple years ago because ther previous owner found a slight light scratch on the screen and decided not to charge us. ive been using this tv as a second tv for the bedroom. im getting a new desktop thats going in the room thats bluray/hd dvd compatable and since the hd screen is only 19" i would like to hook the pc up to the tv via dvi. but theres a problem.

i recently hooked up my ps3 AND a progressive scan dvd player via dvi AND component. the picture kept flashing and wouldnt stay. the ps3 would only show via dvi when set at 480i. is this a settings issue with the tv or does it need to be serviced? as far as i know there hasnt been a problem with it from the previous owner.

any info greatly appreciated.
post #126 of 138 Old 04-17-2008, 09:36 PM

Liked: 13
I use an upscaling progressive dvd player with the dvi port via an hdmi to dvi cable and I have no problem displaying 480i or 480p or 720p. I can't remember if I used 1080i or p. I think 1080i and it worked. so your ps3 should be working..

here's the problem I encountered.. I tried to plug my new scientific atlanta 8300hd set top box into my tv via an hdmi to dvi cable but it wouldn't give me any picture at all. the sound didn't output either.. I wonder if this is because of HDCP. the c27v36 is supposed to have an hdcp compliant dvi port so it should work.

please let me know your guys experiences with this tv and cable box hdmi.

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
bedroom setup: PSB Image B5, maverick tubemagic a1 amplifier, hifimediy sabre9023 dac, ZMF Fostex T50RP modded headphones
preordered gear: Light Harmonic Geek Pulse X dac and headphone amp
post #127 of 138 Old 04-20-2008, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncola View Post

I use an upscaling progressive dvd player with the dvi port via an hdmi to dvi cable and I have no problem displaying 480i or 480p or 720p. I can't remember if I used 1080i or p. I think 1080i and it worked. so your ps3 should be working..

here's the problem I encountered.. I tried to plug my new scientific atlanta 8300hd set top box into my tv via an hdmi to dvi cable but it wouldn't give me any picture at all. the sound didn't output either.. I wonder if this is because of HDCP. the c27v36 is supposed to have an hdcp compliant dvi port so it should work.

please let me know your guys experiences with this tv and cable box hdmi.

The prblem most experienced in the past, is that on some of the cable boxes rented from the cable company, the HDMI/DVI output was never ACTIVATED by the cable company.

Look into that.

Or, and this could be the most likely cause, within the menu of the cable the box, the HDMI/DVI has to SET TO OUTPUT a signal to the tv.

On most set-top boxes, the Component/S-video/composite ouputs are activated already in this menu.

The HDMI/DVI OUTPUT has to be MANUALLY ACTIVATED BY YOU to ouput a signal via the menu.

This might mean connecting the unit via the S-video/composite/ or component output initially just to see what you are doing(the menu would be visible only through these outputs).

then switching it to HDMI/DVI ouput would make that active, and may make the analog connections(composite/S-Video/Component) inactive, but I don't know this.

I do know the HDCP DVI input on the Zenith's is fine. It usually has something to do with the cable box.

That unit(the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD) is highly discussed in the AVS Forum here.

Do a thread/forum search(type 8300HD or Scientific Atlanta 8300HD in the forum search) for that unit and I am sure you will get to it's homepage here somewhere in the forum, and people will directly be able to help you.
post #128 of 138 Old 09-11-2008, 09:49 AM

I have to admit I still have this huge clunker of a tv. had it at least 4 years.. it hums a little.. I'm actually planning on using the dvi port with a popcorn hour a110 with an hdmi to dvi cable. and using rca for the audio. haha I'll let you know how it looks.. I guess I can set the popcorn hour to 1080i.

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
bedroom setup: PSB Image B5, maverick tubemagic a1 amplifier, hifimediy sabre9023 dac, ZMF Fostex T50RP modded headphones
post #129 of 138 Old 09-11-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:

I have to admit I still have this huge clunker of a tv. had it at least 4 years.. it hums a little.. I'm actually planning on using the dvi port with a popcorn hour a110 with an hdmi to dvi cable. and using rca for the audio. haha I'll let you know how it looks.. I guess I can set the popcorn hour to 1080i.

wow, got a surprise email! nice to see im not the only one. i still have this in my bedroom but for the life of me cant get the dvi port to work. i even called a repair man and even though i told him i couldnt get any pic to stay, even with component, thats above 480i rez, he still insist it was user error. i highly doubt it.
please let me know how it goes.
post #130 of 138 Old 02-06-2009, 02:50 AM

After picking up a convertor box, I want to be able to use BOTH antenna inputs: one for over-the-air digital broadcasting and the other for my cable TV service. Unfortunately, I find no way to switch between antenna 1 and antenna 2; in fact, I currently have to manually switch the coaxial cables on antenna 1 (don't know a way to use antenna 2 b/c nothing happens with it). There's nothing on my remote (the original) that makes the switch and I would really like to find out how to take advantage of that feature.

Thanks and any help is appreciated to the fullest!
post #131 of 138 Old 05-24-2009, 04:51 PM

I finally ditched this huge Moby Dick of a tv! Got a sharp aquos 40" lcd from costco.
This model: http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-LC40E67U...3208491&sr=1-3

heymister have you possibly tried using the picture in picture swap buttons? I don't have the tv to test anymore but i think that switches between antenna inputs

post #132 of 138 Old 06-04-2009, 02:35 PM

I just figured out how to switch between antenna/cable inputs through the TV menu...wow, did I overlook that one! Thanks anyway though uncola.
post #133 of 138 Old 06-04-2009, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mine sadly dropped dead in June 2008 after 5 years. It was the motherboard, and so I decided just to get a new TV.

Was a helluva TV for the cheap price when I got it. Couldn't beat all the bells and whistles on it when I first got it, but unfortunately Zenith/LG quality is/was just not that good.

I knew that going in, but for the price I got it for at the time, and it lasting 5 years, I got my money's worth.

Replaced it with a Samsung 32A450, which has been wonderful.
post #134 of 138 Old 06-22-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewZorn View Post

Well of course there is cutoff, it's overscan... Adjustments can be made in the service menu, hold MENU on the set for a second then push MENU on the remote. It was HSIZE and VSIZE that change this, but again, I'd say overscan it about 1" on the sides and a little less on the top and bottom.

Zorn, Steelers, or anyone else who still owns or is familiar with this set:

My Zenith is still running pretty strong. However, I had it serviced by Circuit City a couple of times back in '03 or '04 and it came back from the shop with the picture size a little too large (either that or the whole picture is shifted upward), which is most noticeable in sports, video games, etc, where the top few lines (like scores or other important parts of the picture) are cut off. I just ignored the issue for 5+ years, thinking it would take some tweaking inside the chassis to fix it, but now I see you guys have pretty much dissected all the possible things you can service from the front end.

That procedure from Andrew, above, should fix my issue (at least make it small enough a picture to stop cutting off the top) I would think... I didn't until today realize there were hidden menus within this set.

Are there additional options within that menu to move the center of the picture, if that were the entire problem to begin with?

Thanks for the help! I tend not to use the internet at home much, so I'm reading all of this from work.
post #135 of 138 Old 06-22-2009, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACESandElGHTS View Post

Zorn, Steelers, or anyone else who still owns or is familiar with this set:

My Zenith is still running pretty strong. However, I had it serviced by Circuit City a couple of times back in '03 or '04 and it came back from the shop with the picture size a little too large (either that or the whole picture is shifted upward), which is most noticeable in sports, video games, etc, where the top few lines (like scores or other important parts of the picture) are cut off. I just ignored the issue for 5+ years, thinking it would take some tweaking inside the chassis to fix it, but now I see you guys have pretty much dissected all the possible things you can service from the front end.

That procedure from Andrew, above, should fix my issue (at least make it small enough a picture to stop cutting off the top) I would think... I didn't until today realize there were hidden menus within this set.

Are there additional options within that menu to move the center of the picture, if that were the entire problem to begin with?

Thanks for the help! I tend not to use the internet at home much, so I'm reading all of this from work.

No. The service menu that Andrew mentions is the one you want, and will really help with the overscan.

I can't, for the life of me, remember which options actually change the picture size/position within the service menu.

SO BE CAREFUL.
post #136 of 138 Old 06-22-2009, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Try reading this thread from beginning to end, and the info may be in here, or at least linked to it.
post #137 of 138 Old 07-24-2010, 11:36 AM

I have seen in many places that this tv is supposed to have an ATSC tuner. But I have no idea how to access it. The tv only searches for NTSC channels when I try to use it. Please help me.
post #138 of 138 Old 07-25-2010, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornylak View Post

I have seen in many places that this tv is supposed to have an ATSC tuner. But I have no idea how to access it. The tv only searches for NTSC channels when I try to use it. Please help me.

The Zenith C27V36 ONLY has a NTSC tuner(actually it has 2 for PIP) built into it. I has NO ATSC/QAM tuner in it. It can display a 1080i image(this is it's native resolution).

That is why it was called a HDTV MONITOR, and not an HDTV. You will have to go out and get a set top box that can receive and decode ATSC signals(some have both tuners for ATSC/over the air signals for antenna, and a QAM tuner which will tune in UNSCRAMBLED digital/HD channels from your local cable provider).

Look at places like Sears/KMart/Best Buy/Radio Shack for ATSC tuners that go for between $50 and up.

For a more elaborate, and argurably the best tuner ever, I have in my possesion an LG-4200A(has both ATSC and QAM tuners) which is just collecting dust under my bed. It has the original remote, and instruction guide. I am sure it works. I will test it. Just got myself curious about it.

Anyway, I used this to get ATSC/QAM signals to my old C27V36 before it croaked. And it worked wonderfully.

I will check online how much they are going for(on EBay), and if you are interested in it(or anybody else for that matter), we can talk about a sale.

But only using PM(private messages). Not here in the forums where it is forbidden. So PM me if interested in it. Or anyone else for that matter.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page