AVS Forum banner

The Official Zenith c27v36 thread

27K views 138 replies 50 participants last post by  JonW747 
#1 ·
Title says it all.

I think this would be helpful, like the c32v37 thread is, because a quick glance on the board here and you see at least 304 threads about this TV at any given time.

I would recommend owners hit this thread and make a FAQs thread to start it off and then let it take a life of it's own.

One master thread will be a lot easier for everyone to handle since there seems to be much discussion on this set.

See less See more
#30 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by OrangeTopXTC
Newbie question here...

The manual wasn't really clear on the issue so I wanted to ask what the purpose of the scan mode selection in the menu is? Should you only switch it to progressive mode when you are using a HD box or progressive scan dvd player? Thanks.

The scan mode is used when the tv is either being fed an analog(cable for example) or a digital(dvd, cable, satellite) and the signal being sent is 480i. It will make the picture a progressive one at 480p. I use this on my analog cable input.

When using a HD box or a progressive dvd player and you have either of them set at 480p, the SCAN mode selector in the special section of the user's menu is blacked out and cannot be changed. The reason is the tv is already receiving a progressive signal. It will also be blacked out when receiving a hd 1080i signal. The picture automatically locks into letterbox(16:9) viewing area. Black bars on the top and bottom and this cannot be changed, either through the tv or the Set-top box. This is one of the drawbacks to this tv. This is one of the things I would like to changed about it.

The native resolutions on this tv actually are 480i/480p and 1080i. It can convert a 720p hd signal to 1080i hd. Although the manual states this tv shows pictures either at 480p or 1080i, I think this is incorrect. My thinking goes like this.

When the tv is fed a hd(1080i) signal it LOCKS into 16:9 mode. Therefore if you set the scan mode to interlaced, which I think people believe shows the picture at 1080i, on an analog/digital 480i signal, wouldn't the tv automatically LOCK into a 16:9 picture? I would think it would.

Remember this manual also states that this tv can't show Picture-in-picture unless you use another tuner(vcr, set-top box). It states it only has one tuner. But if you have just regular cable and simply plug it in to one of the RF inputs, and set the PIP input to TV you get PIP and all of it's sizes. Therefore this TV MUST have TWO tuners's or some sort of super-tuner that I don't know about.

#32 ·
Try degaussing the TV from the menu (in the 'Special' section) and see if that fixes it. This can occur when there is a magnetic field near the TV (such as from unshielded speakers). Degaussing will fix it temporarily, but you should try to find and remove the source of the magnetic field to prevent this from happening again.

If this isn't the problem, it may be a defect in your TV and may require servicing.

#34 ·
Because of this forum, I just got one of these from circuit city ($520 on clearance... I think I got one of the last ones) and I really like it, but I have noticed one problem on mine that I haven't read about here. With no input to the tv, I first noticed that, when switching inputs, when the input was component 1, 2, or DVI, there was a little white horizontal line just to the right of the text saying was input was currently being shown. I noticed that this little while horizontal line was not there when the input was any of the other inputs (video 1, 2, 3, s-video). I thought nothing of it, but later I noticed this same white line while viewing an image. The odd thing is that it is only visible when the tv is in 16:9 mode (i.e. is it definitely not there when the tv is in 4:3 mode) and it is at the top right of the screen, just along the edge of the viewable image. It is about an inch long (horizontal, only a couple pixels in hight), and when I'm watching a 1.85:1 DVD with the tv in 16:9 mode, it can't be seen when the image is bright, but if it is a night scene where the top edge of the film is dark, I can see it. If I'm watching a 2.35:1 DVD then it is constantly visible, almost like a marker separating the black bar of the dvd from the black bar of the tv that lies above the viewable image in 16:9 mode. I hope I'm being clear, perhaps a picture would help, although if you have this on your set it would be easy to spot. Any advice?

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by xexex
Because of this forum, I just got one of these from circuit city ($520 on clearance... I think I got one of the last ones) and I really like it, but I have noticed one problem on mine that I haven't read about here. With no input to the tv, I first noticed that, when switching inputs, when the input was component 1, 2, or DVI, there was a little white horizontal line just to the right of the text saying was input was currently being shown. I noticed that this little while horizontal line was not there when the input was any of the other inputs (video 1, 2, 3, s-video). I thought nothing of it, but later I noticed this same white line while viewing an image. The odd thing is that it is only visible when the tv is in 16:9 mode (i.e. is it definitely not there when the tv is in 4:3 mode) and it is at the top right of the screen, just along the edge of the viewable image. It is about an inch long (horizontal, only a couple pixels in hight), and when I'm watching a 1.85:1 DVD with the tv in 16:9 mode, it can't be seen when the image is bright, but if it is a night scene where the top edge of the film is dark, I can see it. If I'm watching a 2.35:1 DVD then it is constantly visible, almost like a marker separating the black bar of the dvd from the black bar of the tv that lies above the viewable image in 16:9 mode. I hope I'm being clear, perhaps a picture would help, although if you have this on your set it would be easy to spot. Any advice?

I'm pretty sure this was mentioned in a thread here a while ago, it is a common problem with this set (mine has it too). I've managed to pretty much ignore it, as you said it is really only noticeable in dark scenes or when there is no picture being displayed. I'm not sure if anyone has tried to get this problem fixed.

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by Rukes
Hi all,

I'm having a slight problem with my C27V36...

the right-side of the image seems to give the illusion of being "curved inwards", like the right edge is compressed. This is very obvious with some panning and stock tickers, it looks like it's being curved in from the back.

I'm guessing there could be an option in the service menu to fix this?

Anyone have any idea how to fix this? Could be a problem across all C27V36's im guessing...

#37 ·
New issue I found when messing with my Momitsu V880...

It seems that my TV has problems with the DVI input, all 1080i inputs via DVI come in scrambled and shaking and whatnot. This was seen in both my Momitsu V800 and my cable box (Scientific Atlanta 4200HD)

Tried multiple cables, all do the same thing...

Anyone seen this before?

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by xexex

I've noticed it as well, but ONLY when using the ARC control button and setting the picture to 16:9 instead of 4:3. Like you said xexex, very small 3/4 to 1 inch sort of faded white line in the upper right corner. If you go to the Service menu thread I believe people have said this could be corrected in the service menu. Do so at your OWN RISK. I'll post the thread at the bottom. I NEVER noticed it when playing DVD's(Widescreen or not). I usually have my DVD player set to 16:9(depending on type of widescreen movie) and the TV set to 4:3. Even if I set the tv to 16:9 while leaving the DVD player at 16:9 it is not there. The best way to see it is enter a video feed that is not being used and set the ARC control to 16:9.

Rukes,

Never experienced any of the problems you mentioned. I went and looked at the ticker on CNBC and ESPN's bottom line and there was no curving inward or outward on either side. I can't even begin to guess what it is you are seeing. This might be another problem that could be fixed in the service menu.

Here is a link to the C27V36 Service menu and another useful thread. The second thread is important in that it discusses on how to use an ALL-For-One(OFA) remote to enter the service menu. You need to enter a discrete code on the OFA remote and then use the TV's remote to navigate:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...493&perpage=20

The OFA info is listed in the C32V37 thread. I believe this is the right one and the info you need begins at the bottom of page 1 and continues on page 2:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=Zenith+C32V37

This thread might help also:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=C32V37

Hope this helps.

Later

#43 ·
After reading all the positive reviews for this HDTV, I'm seriously

considering purchasing it in the next few weeks. However, I

went to view it at my local Circuit City and other B&Ms and no

one in my area carries it any more. In fact, the CC sales person

stated that his store can't even order or transfer a set from

another store.

Anyone know if production has ceased on this HDTV and when

the national roll out of the new model will begin? I've read in

other threads, the successor to this set is already out in some

regions of the US.

Thanks,

Jim

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by MythTrip
After reading all the positive reviews for this HDTV, I'm seriously

considering purchasing it in the next few weeks. However, I

went to view it at my local Circuit City and other B&Ms and no

one in my area carries it any more. In fact, the CC sales person

stated that his store can't even order or transfer a set from

another store.

Anyone know if production has ceased on this HDTV and when

the national roll out of the new model will begin? I've read in

other threads, the successor to this set is already out in some

regions of the US.

Thanks,

Jim

Here is a theory Jim that I just came up with.

Yesterday when I was answering a thread, I had to go to the Best Buy website to get some info on their 27" TV's they had available. To my surprise, in their 27" tv section, they had the Zenith C27V36 listed on their website. The reason this is so strange is that BB NEVER CARRIED the C27V36 ever before. Only CC carried the tv before. They only carried the C32V37 HDTV and the 27" brother, the C32V36 which could only be had through their website. The C32V37 could be picked up and looked at in their stores.

This led me to a possible conclusion

1. When BB saw how well the C27V36 was selling at CC, they decided to offer it at their stores as well. BB is a MUCH LARGER chain than CC and has more turnover in product, so maybe LG thought they would go with BB exclusively. I saw the new LG DLP at my local BB just the other day. This in turn would explain why CC CLEARED OUT THEIR SUPPLY, and now have the MAGNAVOX in their stores right now. CC may no longer distribute LG products(tv's mainly) anymore. This is possible, although not probable.

There is a new C27V46 on the way. It's just that nobody knows when or where. It should be this month. There most likely be no changes other than possible cosmetic ones to the tv. The difference between the 36 and the 46 in the model number probably will just mean that one was released in 2003(C27V36) and one was released in 2004(C27V46).

#45 ·
ok, new problems
I got the ATI DVI to Component and it works great. Only problem is there is still the slight refresh issue no matter what the setting. It is ALOT less noticeable now, enough to not be an issue.

The Next problem I am having is with my Comcast HD Box. It is a scintific atlanta Explorer 3250HD. The componnent works great on it, but when I hook up the DVI with a DVI-D single link cable I get no picture. Any suggestions?

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by maddbomber83
The Next problem I am having is with my Comcast HD Box. It is a scintific atlanta Explorer 3250HD. The componnent works great on it, but when I hook up the DVI with a DVI-D single link cable I get no picture. Any suggestions?

With regards to the DVI problem, I believe someone had a similiar problem with their C32V37 and it turned out that their cable company did not activate the HDCP flag on their STB's yet, or something of that nature.

They too at first felt it was the fault of the tv(at first they thought the tv's HDCP feature didn't exist. People on that thread, myself including, were EXPLODING thinking CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT AGAINST LG!!), but it turned out to be the fault of the cable company, not the tv.

Call Comcast and find out what is up. Make sure you get someone who knows what you are talking about, and speak to them directly. When you get NO PICTURE I believe this is the problem.

And it may just be your STB, or it could be all of them in your COMCAST community. They may have not ACTIVATED the HDCP yet on the DVI out.

Good LucK!!

#47 ·
I have found calling comcast about HDTV is not an option. Thier email tech support though is proving better than I thought. It turns out the problem is just what you stated, Comcast in my area is still developing the softwere for the DVI out on the TV and it will be activiated at a later date and we'll get the info about it.

Thank you much.

#49 ·
i love mine

And, now that the ATI catalyst 4.9 beta drivers are out, I can run virtually any resolution based on 720p or 1080i!

And, may i say, Doom 3 at 1152x648 on this TV looks fantastic.

If only Comcast would give me the new firmware for my DCT 6200 so i can use DVI without unplugging/replugging the DVI cable every time i turn it on.

#51 ·
Well it has been a full year with my Zenith C27V36 and I have to say I am super pleased with it's performance. After calibrating after the 1st month of use:

1. analog cable(good to very good) on all channels

2. Panasonic RP-62 Progressive DVD player(EXCELLENT) picture. Colors, Blacks, Shadows, all EXCELLENT

3. HD/Digital currently through an LG LST-4200A(before that a Sylvania SRZ3000 which I still have and other's which are gone) OH MY FUC*#$* G*D, I NEVER KNEW TV COULD LOOK THIS GOOD!!!!!!!! HOLY CR#P!!!

And considering the new specs of the C27V46(unless of course they are wrong which is possible) all you V36 owners got a hell of a deal!! I hope the specs are wrong on the C27V46, or LG realized they were really screwing up a good product by CHEAPA##*NG IT!! I hope the current delay is to change it to at least the same as V36, if not more, but I doubt it. This is a stupid move, LG, if true.

In the end, this has been a great purchase(currently knocking on wood as I type) and very pleased. Those of you who got this tv on closeout this past spring/summer got A STEAL!!

Hope you are as happy as I am.

ONTO SPLIT/SCREEN NFL TOMMOROW!!! ALSO AN HD STEELER GAME!!

WOOHOO!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.