Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 138 Old 05-15-2004, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Title says it all.

I think this would be helpful, like the c32v37 thread is, because a quick glance on the board here and you see at least 304 threads about this TV at any given time.

I would recommend owners hit this thread and make a FAQs thread to start it off and then let it take a life of it's own.

One master thread will be a lot easier for everyone to handle since there seems to be much discussion on this set.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 138 Old 05-15-2004, 07:22 AM

Here we go...

I got one question about my new C27V36. Everything seems great and works perfectly except the display options menu . when I pull up the menu and go to dislplay (i usually notice it here) there seems to be some kind of error or disfunction. the letters in brightness with change, appear and disappear, appear altered, and blink. All of the controls within the display menu work fine but the letters and numbers are distorted. should i be concerned? any ideas what is causing this? i got 30 days to get a new one...
post #3 of 138 Old 05-15-2004, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Wow Velvetlampshade. That is a new one. Are you talking about in a 16:9 window the menu seems sort of "crunched"? If this is it, then this is normal.

But I've never heard of a menu dissappearing, or fading in and out. I hate to say it, this might be a "bad egg." A little more detail will help.

But, if it continues over the next week, I would exchange it for the sole reason that it could start to effect other functions. And out of curiosity, when was your TV manufactured? To find out, look on the back of the TV. The sticker will tell you.
post #4 of 138 Old 05-15-2004, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Re: Suggested display settings C27V36...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by velvetlampshade
I just bought my C27V36 and it looks great. No buzz as far as I can tell... I do not have a calibration dvd with me here. Does anybody have any recomended settings for the display? It looks ok but I get the feeling that it is not right.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have both the Avia and DVE calibration discs and have used them both and came up with almost identical levels after calibration.

Let me preface this by telling you that I have ANALOG cable in the rf(antenna 1) input, Progressive Panasonic rp-62 DVD player in the component 1 input(FAROUDJA chip built in dor de-interlacing), and in VIDEO 2 composite a Panasonic Hi-fi VCR. No HD signal or digital signal, other than the DVD player, as of yet.

My settings are these:

VM: LOW. you could set to OFF. Didn't make much of a difference in my eyes.

ACC: WARM. You could set to NORMAL as well, but I felt that WARM gave a more ACURRATE color depiction. COOL was just too blue, and innaccurate.

CONTRAST: 41. As you can see, very similar to MAXPower2k4.

BRIGHTNESS: 74. This is what I have it set at for DVD's and regular cable viewing. You could turn it down to about 65, but I wouldn't go any lower. If it was turned down to the lower # on DVD's, the picture detail was greatly diminished, especially in the background.

COLOR: 74 for DVD's and 55 for cable. Some would say this is too much. Either number. Q of Banditz has his set to 39, but I tried that and the colors just looked so dull. Close to becoming black&white if I went down 15 more notches. The color resolution on DVD's wonderful, and ANALOG cable is very good. Very little red push. This, I'm sure, could be adjusted in the service menu, but I never felt comfortable going into it. Maybe someday.

SHARPNESS: 25. This is a good level. 15 seems a little low too me, but you know what, I probably couldn't really tell a difference even if I set it that low. DON'T go any higher than 25 though.

TINT: (R)2. Two spaces into the red section.

Hope this helps. Later on over the weekend I'll edit the post and put in what I have set for the USER SOUND EQ as well. The presets are USELESS. I have an HT Setup on alot, but for quiet viewing just from the speakers, it works wonderfully.

Later

Edit: Here are my settings for USER audio. The presets range from AWFUL(being kind) to USELESS. Please to follow me as try to explain what I did.

Reset the EQ so that USER settings are the same across the board going from left to right.

Now, going from left to right on the five EQ settings, and starting from the top counting down, my settings are these:

0.1khz: 3rd notch down from the top
0.4khz: 7th notch down from the top
1khz: 3rd notch down from the top
4khz: 6th notch down from the top
10khz: 9th notch down from the top

With these settings, BASS and TREBLE sound good to me. If you want a little more of each, fiddle with the settings. Music and movies come off pretty good as well. Plus, dialogue can be easily understood unlike the presets where the dialogue sounds muted.

Hope this helps.
post #5 of 138 Old 05-15-2004, 04:42 PM

Good idea to do this guys. Most of my experiences are using this set with a HTPC, but will give feedback as well.

~sean
post #6 of 138 Old 05-15-2004, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Any experiences are welcome. Good, bad. settings, HTPC Powerstrip settings, service menu access and settings, etc.....
post #7 of 138 Old 05-16-2004, 11:32 AM

Hi
I'm having a problem with the greys on my set. On my regular cable channels my greys are showing a green tint. I'm also getting the green tint from my zenith 318 using the dvi port. The strange part is that Hd channels look fine no green tint mixed with my grey's.

When i go into the service menu and and lower the green cutoff in the w/b level menu it goes away but then my Hd channels that look okay get like a reddish/brown push on skin tones. I guess until i figure out what wrong or what settings i need to adjust in the service menu. I have to just keep playing with the green cutoff when i watch Hd or play Dvd's

If anybody has any suggestions I will appreciate it
Thank you
post #8 of 138 Old 05-18-2004, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe it's the connection with the DVI? Bad DVI cable? What brand of cable do you have? What DVD's show this the most?

VERY RARELY it is a POSSIBLE issue with DVD. Some are encoded POORLY. Some people never consider this. They always assume it is the monitor, connection, player, etc.....
post #9 of 138 Old 05-19-2004, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I actually have a question that I hope can be explained to me.

According to Zenith, since the TV only has ONE tuner, you are required to have another tuner(VCR, STB, ETC.....) in order to get a PIP.

Now I noticed that on the PIP setting you can choose between: TV, Video 1, Video 2, Video 3, and Video 4.

I have my VCR connected composite input on Video 2. I thought this was NECESSARY in order to get PIP.

My question is this. I have not done this yet mind you. I'll wait to see what people say. I have analog cable coming from the wall. If I were to connect it DIRECTLY to the RF input, bypassing the VCR altogether, and set the PIP to TV, wouldn't I still have PIP capabilities?

And if this is the case, what the hell do I need TWO tuners for? Alot of TV's are described this way. I am a little confused.

I know if I had any sort of STB, this is a moot point because of the tuner(or tuners) in the box itself. But if this works, why do they state I NEED the VCR in order to get a PIP.

Am I missing something?
post #10 of 138 Old 05-19-2004, 02:31 PM

Liked: 12
I wish I could explain it to you, SR, but I don't have the tech knowledge. I only know from my late dad, a bonafide TV repariman for over 25 years, that it is essentially correct: if your TV has PIP, you need either a dual-tuner TV, or a second tuner to use your PIP. Beyond that, I bet some other living techies here can better answer the question.

- walkman
post #11 of 138 Old 05-19-2004, 03:26 PM

Is the only place to get this tv online? Do you know of any big chain stores that have them in stock?
post #12 of 138 Old 05-19-2004, 03:44 PM

The main reason I am getting a HDTV is for video games. I think I know that this tv plays 480p and 1080i fine. If a Xbox games native resolution is 720p does it still display the game or does it just put it into widescreen format? An explanation of the different resolutions would be great. Thanks
post #13 of 138 Old 05-19-2004, 04:56 PM

Does anyone have their C27V36 hooked up to a HTPC via DVI? I just got a DVI cable, hooked it up from my PC to my C27V36, and i can only get it to display 480p correctly. Whenever i go to any of the 720p, 1080i, or 540p resolutions, the TV jitters up and down and can't hold the picture. No other resolutions i've tried will work, either. I've got a GeForce 4 and PowerStrip. One of the main reasons i got the set was so that i could play games and DVDs at HD resolutions through my PC... a bit of a downer if that doesn't work :\\
post #14 of 138 Old 05-19-2004, 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by STEELERSRULE
I actually have a question that I hope can be explained to me.

According to Zenith, since the TV only has ONE tuner, you are required to have another tuner(VCR, STB, ETC.....) in order to get a PIP.

Now I noticed that on the PIP setting you can choose between: TV, Video 1, Video 2, Video 3, and Video 4.

I have my VCR connected composite input on Video 2. I thought this was NECESSARY in order to get PIP.

My question is this. I have not done this yet mind you. I'll wait to see what people say. I have analog cable coming from the wall. If I were to connect it DIRECTLY to the RF input, bypassing the VCR altogether, and set the PIP to TV, wouldn't I still have PIP capabilities?

And if this is the case, what the hell do I need TWO tuners for? Alot of TV's are described this way. I am a little confused.

I know if I had any sort of STB, this is a moot point because of the tuner(or tuners) in the box itself. But if this works, why do they state I NEED the VCR in order to get a PIP.

Am I missing something?

I have had the C27V36 for about 3 weeks now. One night while watching a SD show using the built in tuner, my fiance sat down on the couch... right on the remote. Next thing I know, there is another channel playing in the PIP. I had never tried it before, because of what you mention... the 2 tuner requirement. The set does have two RF inputs, but I only have one connected.

Basically, a single analog RF CATV source connected will allow you to tune in separate channels for PIP. Of course, you could use an external tuner or other source for one of the PIPs but that is not required.

If other people's experiences vary, please let me know so I may rejoice having a set that is defective by being able to tune 2 channels from one CATV input.
post #15 of 138 Old 05-19-2004, 05:48 PM

nope, mine does that as well. if only i could get DVI to work

i got it to hold the picture steady, but it only shows a quarter of the picture (first 960 horizontally and first 540 vertically out of a 1920x1080 picture) but when i try to set it to real 960x540, it gets stretched to 1920x540 and again i can't see half of the picture.
post #16 of 138 Old 05-19-2004, 05:59 PM

Just to try the pip thing I split my cable and fed it into both rf inputs on the back and pip does work with a direct signal and no stb.
post #17 of 138 Old 05-19-2004, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

What the hell!!??? If this TV does not need another tuner source, why are they telling us it does???? Maybe we are all missing something? This does not make any sense. I wonder if this tv can do HDTV OTA/QAM via the service menu? ALA like the Samsung TXN2745 could do HD(1080i), but did not mention it? Through the service menu, of course.

In other words is the HD tuner in their and just "turned off?" I doubt it, but it is nice to dream.
post #18 of 138 Old 05-20-2004, 03:11 PM

the specifications PDF says "1 tuner PIP"

http://www.zenith.com/sub_prod/downloads_pdf/C27V36.pdf

and yeah, it works fine for me with only the one plugged in. sorry STEELERSRULE, but i kind of doubt they slipped a HD tuner in there too
post #19 of 138 Old 05-20-2004, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Then could someone explain to me why manufacturers advertise 2-tuner PIP. If you only need 1, what the hell is the second one for?

I must be missing something.
post #20 of 138 Old 05-21-2004, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

bmp
post #21 of 138 Old 05-26-2004, 07:07 PM

Semi-unrelated, but my TV (Panasonic PT-40LC12) also has 1-tuner PIP. Also discovered by accident. This was a new one on me, as my previous experience with PIP, years ago, required a second tuner (ie. VCR) or a separate source (STB via composite/s-video/component).

I recall the manual mentioning all manner of other PIP modes, encompassing the various component/line/VGA inputs, but not 1-tuner (although I may have just missed it). I wonder if documentation simply has not been updated over the years; it seems unlikely, but stranger things have happened.

Okay, I bothered to find the manual, and it includes these vague fortune-cookie-style gems:

- "You can view two pictures simultaneously using two tuners and picture in picture (PIP) display function."
- "Because Main and PIP screens are processed by individual circuits, image quality may vary slightly."

The first one would seem to indicate that you need tuners... but then again it might also mean that the TV includes two tuners? (But there's only one RF plug.)

The second one might refer to signal processing occurring within the set (ie. 1-tuner)... but it might also just be a disclaimer vs. your external source.

Anyway, bottom line, I can get two channels from a single RF input.

Back to the Zenith, for what it's worth, the spec sheet says:

"RF In - 1 (ATSC), 1 (NTSC)"

So, are there one of each? I dunno. Maybe the second RF is just there for those folks who want to pick up HD OTA, and run basic cable directly (are there many of those people)? I've never seen this set, so I can't really say.
post #22 of 138 Old 06-03-2004, 09:22 AM

Hi all,

I'm having a slight problem with my C27V36...

the right-side of the image seems to give the illusion of being "curved inwards", like the right edge is compressed. This is very obvious with some panning and stock tickers, it looks like it's being curved in from the back.

I'm guessing there could be an option in the service menu to fix this?
post #23 of 138 Old 06-04-2004, 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Rukes
Hi all,

I'm having a slight problem with my C27V36...

the right-side of the image seems to give the illusion of being "curved inwards", like the right edge is compressed. This is very obvious with some panning and stock tickers, it looks like it's being curved in from the back.

I'm guessing there could be an option in the service menu to fix this?

I've noticed the same problem with my C27V36. Messing around in the service menu, I've been unable to fix the problem.
post #24 of 138 Old 06-04-2004, 09:32 AM

Uh, dumb question: Is this "service menu" different than the regular menu (where you adjust brightness, contrast, tint, audio, etc.)? If so, how does one access it? Are there any explicit "don't do's" when accessing the service menu (i.e. risks of messing up the TV)?

thx, - walkman
post #25 of 138 Old 06-04-2004, 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by walkman666
Uh, dumb question: Is this "service menu" different than the regular menu (where you adjust brightness, contrast, tint, audio, etc.)? If so, how does one access it? Are there any explicit "don't do's" when accessing the service menu (i.e. risks of messing up the TV)?

thx, - walkman

This thread discusses the C27V36 service menu. It is a separate menu that requires a special remote to access where you can change a lot of geometry settings and you CAN ALSO mess up your TV if you're not careful.
post #26 of 138 Old 06-04-2004, 10:04 AM

Thx QMAN 71.

- walkman
post #27 of 138 Old 06-04-2004, 09:19 PM

Can someone confirm one way or another if this unit does 720? If it does, is it legit 720 or upconverted to 1080? Thanks
post #28 of 138 Old 06-04-2004, 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Diehardfan
Can someone confirm one way or another if this unit does 720? If it does, is it legit 720 or upconverted to 1080? Thanks

It upconverts 720P to 1080i
post #29 of 138 Old 06-04-2004, 10:10 PM

Newbie question here...

The manual wasn't really clear on the issue so I wanted to ask what the purpose of the scan mode selection in the menu is? Should you only switch it to progressive mode when you are using a HD box or progressive scan dvd player? Thanks.
post #30 of 138 Old 06-05-2004, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by OrangeTopXTC
Newbie question here...

The manual wasn't really clear on the issue so I wanted to ask what the purpose of the scan mode selection in the menu is? Should you only switch it to progressive mode when you are using a HD box or progressive scan dvd player? Thanks.

The scan mode is used when the tv is either being fed an analog(cable for example) or a digital(dvd, cable, satellite) and the signal being sent is 480i. It will make the picture a progressive one at 480p. I use this on my analog cable input.

When using a HD box or a progressive dvd player and you have either of them set at 480p, the SCAN mode selector in the special section of the user's menu is blacked out and cannot be changed. The reason is the tv is already receiving a progressive signal. It will also be blacked out when receiving a hd 1080i signal. The picture automatically locks into letterbox(16:9) viewing area. Black bars on the top and bottom and this cannot be changed, either through the tv or the Set-top box. This is one of the drawbacks to this tv. This is one of the things I would like to changed about it.

The native resolutions on this tv actually are 480i/480p and 1080i. It can convert a 720p hd signal to 1080i hd. Although the manual states this tv shows pictures either at 480p or 1080i, I think this is incorrect. My thinking goes like this.

When the tv is fed a hd(1080i) signal it LOCKS into 16:9 mode. Therefore if you set the scan mode to interlaced, which I think people believe shows the picture at 1080i, on an analog/digital 480i signal, wouldn't the tv automatically LOCK into a 16:9 picture? I would think it would.

Remember this manual also states that this tv can't show Picture-in-picture unless you use another tuner(vcr, set-top box). It states it only has one tuner. But if you have just regular cable and simply plug it in to one of the RF inputs, and set the PIP input to TV you get PIP and all of it's sizes. Therefore this TV MUST have TWO tuners's or some sort of super-tuner that I don't know about.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page