post #271 of 8179 Old 07-02-2004, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by rgriffing
To those who feel the 960 will be an improvement over the 910, keep in mind that Sony has a long track record of introducing statement products such as their first dvd player, the s7000, which blow away the competition in build quality and value for the money. Once the product is established, and the glowing reviews are written, Sony discontinues the product and substitutes versions which seem to offer more, but are clearly a step down in build quality.

What Kind of statement is this? For that ONE dvd player, there countless other products sony does better.

Ex: Playstation 1 upgraded to the Playstation 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 8179 Old 07-02-2004, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yeah...what he said!

At least wait and see one for yourself.

Quote:

Originally posted by BloatedCorpse
..the salesman was just trying to make a sell on the 910. I have no fear that the pq on the 960 will be of similar quality, if not slightly improved from the 910. I would guess that the lower pricing for the 960 is due to a few factors such as lower production costs for the various components, as well as the need to respond to competitors' pricepoints. It's your decision which set to purchase, but with the 960 so close to popping up in stores, it seems a little silly to buy a 910 until you can see and compare a 960 with your own set of peepers.

post #273 of 8179 Old 07-02-2004, 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by murphyb74
In what country are the 910 and 960 manufactured?

Most likely Mexico, but maybe even U.S.A; definately NOT Japan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #274 of 8179 Old 07-02-2004, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Yea right... Just Imagine the COST to ship these large, heavy sets from Japan.....
post #275 of 8179 Old 07-02-2004, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 12
hecho en México
post #276 of 8179 Old 07-02-2004, 08:38 AM

>>Yea right... Just Imagine the COST to ship these large, heavy sets from Japan.....

I suspect labor cost is more of an issue than shipping. The gym I belong to bought some new plates for the barbells. They were York brand, York Barbell Co. of York, PA - less than 100 miles from here (DC area). I was a bit surprised when I noticed the "Made in China" sticker!
post #277 of 8179 Old 07-02-2004, 09:03 AM

CC has taken off the 910 from its online inventory....
post #278 of 8179 Old 07-02-2004, 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by smirnoffski
Most likely Mexico, but maybe even U.S.A; definitely NOT Japan.

Pull out the infamous B board and you'll see it marked MADE IN JAPAN. The multilayer delicate circuit boards require a highly specialized workforce to create them. The less technically demanding assembly of the chassis can be done in places like Mexico. Some of the XBR direct views actually are assembled in the good ol' USA.
post #279 of 8179 Old 07-02-2004, 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by montreal
Pull out the infamous B board and you'll see it marked MADE IN JAPAN. The multilayer delicate circuit boards require a highly specialized workforce to create them. The less technically demanding assembly of the chassis can be done in places like Mexico. Some of the XBR direct views actually are assembled in the good ol' USA.

Correct, certain elements of the interior circuitry may be made in Japan or other countries but the final assembly point is NOT Japan hence the TV is not labeled that way on the rear. I have an XBR450, which is labeled MADE in MEXICO and have seen the $4000 XBR2 which was around a few years back also labeled MADE in MEXICO. I dount that there are any SONY tubes left coming from Japan or tubes from any other manufacturer (but I think Panasonic recently had their 34in HD sets coming from Japan, but don't know about the new ones.)

On a side note, I was at Circuit City, Good Guys and Fry's today.
Circuit City did not give me a date for the 960 but said that they are taking pre-orders, the price showed up as $2049.99; there were no 910s left in stock.
Good Guys said they expect the 960 around Sunday, and price showed up as $2099.99; they also had no 910s left and tried to sell me their display model.
Fry's had it no where in their system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #280 of 8179 Old 07-02-2004, 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by cpschmidt2
XBR960 10% off CC price (which is lower than Sony Style's price)
18 months free basic delivery

HT6600 home theater
10% off CC price
will get $400 rebate from Sony
---

Originally posted by JamisonBWolsh
I hope this is truth. It sounds like you got a rep who does not know how to do his/her Job.

1.) XBR is NOT 10 percent off (fine print excludes the XBR)
2.) HTIB- Its eithor the 18 months OR the 10 percent off.. NOT BOTH.
3.) Delivery. Its Possible. I hear some CC's will haggle. Mine does not. Most does not from the CC's I went to.

Hey Schmidt- You should have taken the deal offered by SONY. No payments untill 2006- SWEET!

Hey Jamison,

Schmidt's deal is close to mine.
34XBR960 10% of CC
HT6600DP 10% of CC
XBR1 stand (open box) 50% of CC
Will get the $400 Sony Rebate (HOWEVER, no financing!)

I'm sure you're happier w/ your financing, but I have the cash, and don't want to carry debt, so I'm much happier w/ additional %% off.

How did I get it?
www.circuitcity.com
There are 24 stores within 100 miles of you.

#1 Hi, Can I speak to a manager of Tv's please? blah...
#2 Hi, Can I speak to a manager of Tv's please?
#3 Hi....
etc.

Yeah, it took me a while longer but I eventaully got it. Additionally, I did not opt for deliver, HOWEVER, they are shipping it to the nearest store to me, which works well, as I've a couple of big strong friends to help.

I just wanted to let other know it's possible... you just have to put in a little more work... Excited!!! Now I just have to sit back and wait for it to get in!!!
-C
Ps. I just want to shout out a thanks to everyone. I lurk way more than I post, as I'm still a neophyte, n00b, newbie, greener, etc, but I want to thank EVERYONE for both their Q's and their A's. Here's to a great system! and a great price!
post #281 of 8179 Old 07-02-2004, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Show Off!!!

post #282 of 8179 Old 07-02-2004, 07:31 PM

At my CC, they said they had 9 of the first shipment of 12 already pre-sold. Fortunately, I'm number 1 on the list.
post #283 of 8179 Old 07-02-2004, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

They already got their first shipment? also... they had in their computers how many they are getting?
post #284 of 8179 Old 07-02-2004, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Has anyone taken advantage of the deal from the best price "leader" on the site:

http://www.geocities.com/kd34xbr960/...br960page.html

If anyone has receved a great deal please email or post on the guest book on the page so I can update the site for other avs members. I have gotten the tweeter and CC prices but I don't have a gg or ultimate (along with other mid level retailers) pricing.

Thanks for your help and have a great 4th!
post #285 of 8179 Old 07-02-2004, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
OK, I just picked up my KD34XBR960 from Good Guys - two of them arrived today. I just finished installing and hooking it up - right now it's doing the autoscan for channels.

I haven't had any time to play with it yet (and this is my first HDTV) - I just wanted to let everyone know that the TVs are actually in existence!
post #286 of 8179 Old 07-02-2004, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Game On!

bob
post #287 of 8179 Old 07-02-2004, 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bsd107
OK, I just picked up my KD34XBR960 from Good Guys - two of them arrived today. I just finished installing and hooking it up - right now it's doing the autoscan for channels.

I haven't had any time to play with it yet (and this is my first HDTV) - I just wanted to let everyone know that the TVs are actually in existence!

Do you have an HDTV feed? What kind of SDTV feed do you have? Pls keep us informed.

Thanks,
Gordon
post #288 of 8179 Old 07-02-2004, 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bsd107

It would be great if you make a separate thread refelcting your initial impressions! Anyway, keep us all posted on developments!

post #289 of 8179 Old 07-02-2004, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 27
We are all waiting...you have quite an audience : )
post #290 of 8179 Old 07-02-2004, 11:30 PM

Two 960's in stock in San Jose:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=419076

Gordon
post #291 of 8179 Old 07-02-2004, 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by smirnoffski
It would be great if you make a separate thread refelcting your initial impressions! Anyway, keep us all posted on developments!

I hope you all that get 960's will stay in this thread for now. It saves going thru the index looking for new 960 threads. This thread seems to me like the perfect place to keep the discussion of what you all find.

IMHO,
Gordon
post #292 of 8179 Old 07-03-2004, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My first impressions of the XBR960 are good overall. HD material looks fantastic - even The Tonight Show is jaw dropping. (Note that although I am a massive techno-geek, this is my first HDTV).

I have only basic cable service right now, but I can pick up most local networks in HD. I can also pick up some obviously "Digital Cable" channels - but only the ones that preview pay per view. This at least gives me some feel for how digital cable will look.

There are some stations on digital cable that I've always wanted, but I've basically refused to have a set top box. The way it intereferes with VCR operation, negates many features built into the TV, requiring another non-standard remote, etc., made me refuse to deal with a box. (Not that I'm not capable - just unwilling!) The new CableCard standard for me is a dream come true.

I have ordered a CableCard, as well as additional digital cable and HD content, through Time Warner, but they insist on installing it (like I couldn't find the slot) and they didn't have an opening until a week from now. Oh well... At least I have some local HD stations to test the TV with.

My first impression after turning the TV on wasn't good. The setup menu that appears automatically (apparently the first time you turn it on) was blurry. I mean, it was legible and all, but not impressive at all for a set that is supposed to be able to resolve close to 1400 lines. My impression from this, as well as screen edges when watching 4:3, etc., lead me to believe that the convergence on my set is sigificantly off. I hope someone can recommend to me a way to correct it. (I have to think that HD will look even better after correction.)

The first TV image I actually saw is a digital cable pay-per-view preview, and it looked horrible. Artifacts everywhere. I have to admit that it scared the crap out of me (i.e. based on all the complaints I had read about artifacts, to think it really IS that bad). In any case, it turn out that this particular channel is clearly overcompressed before transmission - i.e. some other digital cable preview stations I've found typically look very, very good.

My analog SD channels all look poor - but I don't think it's the TV's fault. For some reason, my analog cable reception degraded significantly several months ago. I notice this on the other analog sets in my house. Basically, all analog cable stations have significant noise throughout the picture. I had had this problem a couple years ago, and I had Time Warner improve it significantly. But something happened and it's degraded again. (I've checked all the connections in my hub, etc. I have cable modem, so there is a splitter before my USTec hub. I'm suspecting the splitter, becuase that was the culprit before. Does anyone make ultra-high quality splitters that I could buy?)

In any case, the analog channels on my XBR960 show way more static than my 9-year old Sony 32" set, and more than my 14-year old Mitsu 20" set. The noise does look much worse on the XBR960. I really can't tell if this is a fault of the DRC amplifying it, or just that this set can resolve it more due to the higher resolution. I'm assuming the latter. Note that I do NOT see any significant artifacting or degradation of the image due to the DRC, like I used to see on the first generation Wegas with line-doublers. But I probably just am not a good candidate for this test right now due to the high noise level in my signal to start with. [When Time Warner is out to install the CableCard, I'll be sure to have them fix the analog signal, too!]

I have a five year old Sony DVD player (530D). I bought some good component cables today, also. Anyway, I fired up one of my kids cartoon DVDs, and the sharpness and colors were absolutely stunning. Really impressive. After seeing HDTV, I figured there would be no way that 480i DVD could look nearly as good. But the colors in particular were spectacular.

In terms of features, I really like the look of the menus. It's amazing how a higher resolution menu with nicer fonts makes the whole TV seem much higher class. I'm really glad they did this.

Most of my stations do not have information in the guide, but a small number of this do. This would be the fault of my cable company, I assume.

I've found the Guide to be basically useless. Really, it's no different than just surfing the channels yourself. I mean, it only lists info on the current station/program, and simply has a list down the side showing the stations that you'll switch to next if you go down the list. I really don't understand the point. If you simply use the channel up & down buttons it accomplishes the same thing - without the channel list covering the left portion of the screen.

I really like the idea of the favorites list. BUT, it's also useless if you have lots of HD or QAM channels on your favorites. I mean, you can still use it as a hotlist, but it won't show a preview of any digital channels, even if you are currently viewing an analog station. I find that limitation very annoying (90% of the favorites on my list are digital!), and it negates the usefulness of the idea.

TwinView is a great idea, and works really nice. BUT, I don't know how to keep the audio fixed on one side, while you surf on the other side. It wants to fix the audio on whichever View you are currently changing. (My 9-year old 32" Sony has PIP with dual tuners, and you can assign the audio to play from either window at the press of a button on the remote.]

The speaker system seems to be reasonable for a TV, but of course will not take the place of a stereo. But it is clear that there is a "TV grade" subwoofer in there. I've heard some pretty nice sounds come from the TV - some of my impression may be more due to the much higher fidelity sound from HD...

Overall, I'm thrilled to finally own a Sony Wega HDTV. I've wanted this model (i.e. it's earlier equivalents) since I saw the first Sony Wega 34" HDTV back in 1997. I've watched and drooled over the years as it came down from $8000, and as features and picture quality improved. It's amazing what 7 years of development and progress can do!

Aside from getting the CableCard installed, I need to figure out a way to improve the convergence. Aside from that, seems like a great set so far...

[Does anyone know if I'd be able to use the firewire ports on the XBR960 and my laptop to record and playback HDTV???]
post #293 of 8179 Old 07-03-2004, 04:57 AM

..thanks for taking timeout of your tv honeymoon to share some first impressions bsd. I have to admit, the convergence concern is troubling. I've been through several 34HS510's, which also had convergence nightmares, and I'm on my last 510 now as I wait with the rest of the free world for my replacement 960. When I first fired up the 510 last december I had similar reactions to the sd channels that you mentioned. I incorrectly assumed, it was my first hdtv too, that all the cable channels would look great. Unfortunately, I think you'll have to learn to accept the hard fact that sd programming will, in some cases, look significantly worse to your eye than with your previous set. I'm no tech expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I think a lot of this pq on my set is due to compressed information sent out by the cable company. I would advise you to enjoy your set, but also put it through it's paces with an avia dvd or similar product. There are some helpful test patterns and color fields on those that can really help with at least the user calibration. Good luck and happy viewing...you've made us all an eerie glowing green...
BC
post #294 of 8179 Old 07-03-2004, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone here who has already received the 960 tried to place it on the 34XBR1 stand (last year's model). Can you confirm it will fit? I want to buy an xbr1 in advance at a low price since it looks nicer and is cheaper than the new stands but want to make sure it fits.

Did the CC stores put the 34XBR960s on demo yet? I might go to one today.
post #295 of 8179 Old 07-03-2004, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

I already bought the XBR1 stand. Sonystyle confirms that the 960 WILL FIT!!!!
post #296 of 8179 Old 07-03-2004, 10:58 AM

Thanks, BSD! I'm still waiting for mine.
post #297 of 8179 Old 07-03-2004, 05:03 PM

Quote:

They already got their first shipment? also... they had in their computers how many they are getting?

LOL... I have to comment. In so much as I talked w/ like a dozen different stores (and mind you they are all within 50 miles of each other and all get their deliveries from the same major warehouse... the information is NOT shared equally. From one, I got that they were getting a bunch in on Sat. Another stated that they were getting 95 models in to that warehouse but no idea how they where going to be split up. The other 85% had no clue.

It's truly amazing how many different answers you can get talk to that many people. Well... I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping it's sooner than later!
-C
post #298 of 8179 Old 07-03-2004, 07:41 PM
Tly

So if SD programming looks bad over analog cable, what about SD programming over digital cable? Will that usually look the same, better, or worse?

tks,

Ty
post #299 of 8179 Old 07-03-2004, 10:44 PM

I bought my 960 from Good Guys today through their 24 month no interest plan. They only had two units for their first shipment, one went on display and the other was immediately sold. So I have to wait for their next shipment as my unit will be delivered to me next saturday. I will also keep you folks posted.
Oh and for a stand, I tried to haggle to get free but to no avail so I will be picking up this stand from CC for my 960:
http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...&oid=69535&m=0

Quote:

I already bought the XBR1 stand. Sonystyle confirms that the 960 WILL FIT!!!!

They set up the display model 960 right before my eyes today at my local Good Guys. They placed it on the XBR1 stand, I can also confirm that it is a perfect fit.
BUT, the colors are slightly off. The XBR1 stand is silver whereas the XBR960 shell has a slight bluish hue, so not a perfect match in that regard, but this I think would not be much of a problem for most of you.

post #300 of 8179 Old 07-04-2004, 12:06 AM

Nice stand. I am looking for a stand with more useable shelf space, than the XBR1 or the new one, whatever it's number is. My CC seemed to have a nice selection the last time I looked.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page