5Likes

post #361 of 8171 Old 07-06-2004, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by TH3_FRB
I think the point was that nobody has given a review of this set with real HD material yet...like DirectTV HD or cable HD...DVD is nice but HD is where this set should really shine.

OTA HD is still HD as I recall.

ABC sends 720p and has some true hd material. NBC, CBS, PBS also sends 1080i over the air.

The 960 is nice, since it also tells you the resolution sent in the channel info (for instance, on pbskids digital, the 960 tells you it is sent as 480i. PBS HD shows 1080i).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 8171 Old 07-06-2004, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by leatherman
Did anyone receive their set from Sonystyle.com yet? If so, I was wondering did they deliver it on time? Did they double box it? Wondering if they have gotten their act together. The site seems to have poor reviews from what I have seen.

Well My delivery is sched for Wed 2 to 4pm I'll let everyone know how Sonystyle handled it although it should be the same box everyone else gets I won't have to install it though thats there job

Take anything I say with a grain of Salt I am an Authority on nothing
post #363 of 8171 Old 07-06-2004, 10:24 PM

No review yet -- but question for new owners: does your tv take several seconds to actually turn on after you hit the power button? Mine starts by degaussing itself (manual says this is normal), but then it takes about 10 - 15 seconds (I'm guessing here - haven't timed it yet) before it actually shows a picture.

Just want to make sure there is nothing wrong w/ my set.

thx!

D
post #364 of 8171 Old 07-06-2004, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Went back to GG today. OTA HD on PBS= Stunning. OTA SD= Not even close to my 32xbr100. For now, I can't step backwards for SD because that is what we watch the most. I didn't play w/ DRC but can't believe that's going to get rid of all the artifacts and overall "dull" SD picture. BUT FOR HD, absolutely stunning

bob
post #365 of 8171 Old 07-06-2004, 11:40 PM

Thanks for that info spongebob. I mostly watch SD stuff recorded on my TiVo's. And DVD watching is acceptable now on my 36 inch 4:3 TV. I need to replace a 27 inch TV and was seriously thinking of doing it with the 960. But I think I will just get a decent 32 inch 4:3 with four inputs. I will probably wait until there are stand alone HD TiVo's, before getting a 16:9 TV. I'll save the money I was going to spend on the 960, to buy some SA HD TiVo's.

Gordon

Update: But then I go to the CR web site to look at their ratings for 32 inch 4:3 TVs and run across the 910 rating. They rate HD, Antenna and S-Video as excellent. So I guess I need to see SD on the 960 myself before giving up on the 960. Maybe compared to my 36 inch Zenith and 27 inch Mitsubishi and 32 inch JVC, the 960 SD will be fine.
post #366 of 8171 Old 07-07-2004, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally posted by spongebob
Went back to GG today. OTA HD on PBS= Stunning. OTA SD= Not even close to my 32xbr100. For now, I can't step backwards for SD because that is what we watch the most. I didn't play w/ DRC but can't believe that's going to get rid of all the artifacts and overall "dull" SD picture. BUT FOR HD, absolutely stunning

bob

But this is not SDTV. Try the set with a DirecTV signal (or at least digital cable) and see if it makes a difference in picture quality. Thanks.
post #367 of 8171 Old 07-07-2004, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 21
[quote]Originally posted by helser
[b]Thanks for that info spongebob. I mostly watch SD stuff recorded on my TiVo's. And DVD watching is acceptable now on my 36 inch 4:3 TV. I need to replace a 27 inch TV and was seriously thinking of doing it with the 960. But I think I will just get a decent 32 inch 4:3 with four inputs. I will probably wait until there are stand alone HD TiVo's, before getting a 16:9 TV. I'll save the money I was going to spend on the 960, to buy some SA HD TiVo's.

HDTV TIVO receivers exist now.

See: http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...PROD=HD-DVR250
post #368 of 8171 Old 07-07-2004, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by daumier
No review yet -- but question for new owners: does your tv take several seconds to actually turn on after you hit the power button? Mine starts by degaussing itself (manual says this is normal), but then it takes about 10 - 15 seconds (I'm guessing here - haven't timed it yet) before it actually shows a picture.

thx!

D

Hmm My 12 yr old 27" Sony trinitron does that and has since day one
I'm thinking its probably normal

post #369 of 8171 Old 07-07-2004, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

What do you mean "But this is not SDTV"? Of course it is...SD = standard definition. Perhaps you mean that OTA SD is not digital (like digital cable or DirectTV) which isn't necessarily true either. Many stations are broadcasting OTA on their digital frequencies but much of their content is still not HD. IMO the worst PQ will be from analog cable and then analog OTA signals. Digital SD PQ will vary depending on how much compression you're dealing with on a particular channel. My digital HBO (SD) is very nice, my analog HBO is decent, my analog local networks are marginal and some are just plain poor...and this is all on my current non-digital 4:3 set.

Quote:
Originally posted by igreg
But this is not SDTV. Try the set with a DirecTV signal (or at least digital cable) and see if it makes a difference in picture quality. Thanks.

post #370 of 8171 Old 07-07-2004, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by daumier

thx!

D

Perfectly Normal. My 4 year of 27" Wega does the same thing. I think it waits for degaussing and warming up of the tube before its fires. So instead of the gradual blank screen to picture transition you see on other TV's, you get instant picture once the warm up process is complete.

Loving my KD-34XBR960
post #371 of 8171 Old 07-07-2004, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great point! Maybe there is hope Cant' check DTV or cable at GG, tho!

bob
post #372 of 8171 Old 07-07-2004, 05:56 PM

[quote]Originally posted by igreg
[b]
Quote:
Originally posted by helser
Thanks for that info spongebob. I mostly watch SD stuff recorded on my TiVo's. And DVD watching is acceptable now on my 36 inch 4:3 TV. I need to replace a 27 inch TV and was seriously thinking of doing it with the 960. But I think I will just get a decent 32 inch 4:3 with four inputs. I will probably wait until there are stand alone HD TiVo's, before getting a 16:9 TV. I'll save the money I was going to spend on the 960, to buy some SA HD TiVo's.

HDTV TIVO receivers exist now.

See: http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...PROD=HD-DVR250

Yes, I am aware of the DirecTV HD TiVo box. I do not want to go the DirecTV route. That is why I specified stand alone HD TiVo. Stand Alone as opposed to part of a set top box.

Thanks anyway,
Gordon
post #373 of 8171 Old 07-07-2004, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Well Mine came today the crew From NVC direct Sony styles shipping outfit Called and asked if it was ok to come early.
So they showed up at 1:30 for 2pm to 4pm Sch delivery
It was only Tv on the Truck.

The Box was the same as everyone elses and kinda beat up,
I inspected it and noted it on the sheet.
Then the outer box was removed I inspected the casing for any damage and found none.
Then they brought it in and placed it on the stand.
It is Huge compared to my old 27".

Hitting the power button it came to life in 5 sec with the tilt geometry window.
Then came the channel search,
I cancelled that and proceeded with figuring out what Button brought up My DirecTV.

The Menu selections are nice, Currently I only have 1 RCA composite running to Video 1 and the a lead in from the sat dish for non-audio systems viewing to the UHF/VHF input.
Probably going to go with a Componant out of the AV Reciever to a trandcoder and run HDMI into the Set and then have the Spare DVI-HDMI port to run to the new Projector when I get it.

Then I ran a channel scan took about 10 mins Using just what the cable run to the dish is picking up I managed 7 analog and 7 Digital channels.

The analogs all look like crap pretty much like my old set.
However I'm really impressed with the digital channels No ghosting clear and crisp Probably going to dump local channels from the dish soon.
As for the Pic Quality on DirecTV it is as good as I had with the old 27".

I had a scan line issue but resolved with a cable reposition, the line that runs to the current splitter for the Tv and projector.
has a bad end and if It's not just right I get the swigglies on the Tv and Rolling on the Projector.

Laser Disc Performance is WOW and will probably even get better with the Componant Cable upgrade.

Then I tried the DVD player And it too was fantastic,
Who framed Roger Rabbit looked sweet and silky smooth with eye popping color.

Currently I'm on standard setting the film setting seams just a tad to dark atm.
I havn't tried the PS2 yet.
So far I am very please with its performance and am hoping to get a pic of it soon in action soon
The Delivery service
They didnt really know just what White glove delivery meant they did a good job getting it in though
I can say that Although Sonystyle has a bad rap
Eveything went together from the order to the delivery with one small boble I wasn't able to track it using there system.
But it wasnt enroute long enough to worry about it.
It came from Carson Calif.

post #374 of 8171 Old 07-07-2004, 07:17 PM

There's been a lot of posts about people getting theirs but I haven't seen any pictures, so here goes.

Just set up on my XBR1 stand.

Here's a pic comparing the SU-XBR1 stand color to the 960. The 960 has a slightly bluish tint that's a little more matte than the stand.

The back of my 960, only plugged in a DVD player and my Xbox at this point.

The manual.

I'll probably post a review after I spend more time with it. I'm going into the service menu to adjust a few things, but my initial impression right out of the box is simply awe.

Alright, back to watching stuff with my jaw on the floor. Just wanted to post concrete pics showing they're out and in homes. Later.

Loving my KD-34XBR960
post #375 of 8171 Old 07-07-2004, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry to inform you that your pictures aren't loading...
post #376 of 8171 Old 07-07-2004, 08:40 PM

..loaded fine for me...now the wait is even worse!...lucky son of a soandso!...it's just plain wrong for me to be sitting home alone with a lonely hdmi cable...
post #377 of 8171 Old 07-07-2004, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Hmmm...decision to go with CC might have been wrong???
post #378 of 8171 Old 07-07-2004, 09:47 PM

Great pictures, thanks. The color difference is very slight, but I could see how it could drive a person crazy once they see it. It seems to show up more on the front picture than on the close up that you took to show it.
post #379 of 8171 Old 07-08-2004, 04:03 AM

Jamison, don't forget, we're saving some money with CC. Plus, we can return it to the store for 30 days. Is it worth it? I'm not sure!!!!!!!!

I am going to call CC today to see if they have any more info. I called them last Friday and they didn't yet have them in stock. I will let you know what they say.
post #380 of 8171 Old 07-08-2004, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I want to respond to this again to be sure: The "SD" signal I saw was from an OTA antenna plugged into a DTV receiver, feeding the 960 into the video 6 (component) input. The store does not have DTV and I'm not sure why they did this? How is this different from putting the OTA antenna directly into the 960? Is one way SD and the other analog?

thx

bob
post #381 of 8171 Old 07-08-2004, 06:54 AM

Hey Rizzle, thanks for the pics. I'm wondering, is that back connection area located on the left side of the TV as it looks or is that more in the center? I just modified my TV cabinet to fit this beast and just assumed the connection area would be to the right like my 27" wega. uh oh.

Would it be possible to get a wider shot of the back?
post #382 of 8171 Old 07-08-2004, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

When you say "DTV" do you mean DirectTV? So they are using an external digital tuner rather than the internal tuner in the set? No idea why they would do that other than they don't know anything about the set and don't know it has a digital tuner built in. Regardless, it was digital SD either way.

Quote:
Originally posted by spongebob
I want to respond to this again to be sure: The "SD" signal I saw was from an OTA antenna plugged into a DTV receiver, feeding the 960 into the video 6 (component) input. The store does not have DTV and I'm not sure why they did this? How is this different from putting the OTA antenna directly into the 960? Is one way SD and the other analog?

thx

bob

post #383 of 8171 Old 07-08-2004, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
When you say "DTV" do you mean DirectTV? So they are using an external digital tuner rather than the internal tuner in the set? No idea why they would do that other than they don't know anything about the set and don't know it has a digital tuner built in. Regardless, it was digital SD either way.

Yes, Direct TV receiver (Sony)

thx

bob
post #384 of 8171 Old 07-08-2004, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So they could feed the Showtime/Discovery in house recorderd HD feed through it too?

bob
post #385 of 8171 Old 07-08-2004, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Acksull
Hey Rizzle, thanks for the pics. I'm wondering, is that back connection area located on the left side of the TV as it looks or is that more in the center? I just modified my TV cabinet to fit this beast and just assumed the connection area would be to the right like my 27" wega. uh oh.

Would it be possible to get a wider shot of the back?

Sure, I'll post a wider pic when I get home from work. Around 2:30 Eastern.

I just wish it came with a DVI-to-HDMI plug adapter in the box, like video cards that come with a DVI-to-VGA adapter as a convenience to the buyer.

Loving my KD-34XBR960
post #386 of 8171 Old 07-08-2004, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Rizzle for your pictures.

For all new XBR960 owners I have a question:
The manual seems to say that the standard RCA AV output jacks won't work when watching digital cable (HD or SD). Does this mean that the ONLY way to record anything off digital cable would be D-VHS through firewire? If that is the case, do the JVC decks have downconverted to SD AV outputs in order to transfer something to an old standard VHS deck?
post #387 of 8171 Old 07-08-2004, 09:43 AM

foxfan,

I believe that the JVC D-Theater decks will indeed downconvert an HD or digital SD signal.

I just want to know, if I connect a JVC 40K D-theater deck to the firewire connectors and am using Cablecard, will I be able to archive all HD to the D-VHS deck?

This would include the Summer Olympics and shows like Alias???

Hell hath no fury, like a women's scorn for Sega - Broadie.

Segaboy out..........
post #388 of 8171 Old 07-08-2004, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'll piggyback on on Segaboy here by asking for a third time, then I'm turning this into another thread: has anyone attempted D-Theatre playback on the set with a deck connected via Firewire?
If so, could you select different audio channels from the tape?

Thanks in advance!

unOFFICIAL D-Box FAQ here!
Hail to the King, baby!
post #389 of 8171 Old 07-08-2004, 10:20 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally posted by foxfan
Thanks Rizzle for your pictures.

For all new XBR960 owners I have a question:
The manual seems to say that the standard RCA AV output jacks won't work when watching digital cable (HD or SD). Does this mean that the ONLY way to record anything off digital cable would be D-VHS through firewire? If that is the case, do the JVC decks have downconverted to SD AV outputs in order to transfer something to an old standard VHS deck?

I don't have a Sony but i'm pretty sure they're talking about the yellow Video Out jack on the back of the TV (my 32" HD-ready has the same jack). It's there to send on-screen video to an external monitor. Mine outputs on-screen video from all composite and S-Video inputs (such as my digital cable box, DVR, VCR, etc) but will not work if i'm watching DVD or HDTV via the component inputs.

This is probably part of the copy-protection scheme - so that you can't record cheat and record digital (via component) sources through this jack. As long as your digital cable box is connected via composite or S-video, i'm pretty sure the jack will work. I think by "digital" they mean signals on digital sources like HD or DVD.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #390 of 8171 Old 07-08-2004, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RandyWalters
I don't have a Sony but i'm pretty sure they're talking about the yellow Video Out jack on the back of the TV (my 32" HD-ready has the same jack). It's there to send on-screen video to an external monitor. Mine outputs on-screen video from all composite and S-Video inputs (such as my digital cable box, DVR, VCR, etc) but will not work if i'm watching DVD or HDTV via the component inputs.

This is probably part of the copy-protection scheme - so that you can't record cheat and record digital (via component) sources through this jack. As long as your digital cable box is connected via composite or S-video, i'm pretty sure the jack will work. I think by "digital" they mean signals on digital sources like HD or DVD.

The 960 doesn't need a set-top box, its got a built in tuner. He was asking if the television would downconvert the feed through the cablecard so it could be sent through the "monitor out" connection, or would he have to buy a D-VHS deck with Firewire in...and if so, do the D-VHS decks downconvert so he can record onto regular VHS tapes.

Loving my KD-34XBR960
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page