Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #541 of 8171 Old 07-16-2004, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So the delivery guys show up last night with my 960 and they say "you might want to come take a look before be bother to unload it"

Sure enough...two big holes torn through the front and back of the box...big enough to look through The back of the set is smashed and the front has a big gash taken out of the tube

Apparently (so I'm told), it was like that when the local delivery company took posession but they were told they had to attempt delivery anyway and let me refuse it...which I did of course. So now I'm waiting to hear back from Sony on sending another out ASAP...and I though I was all but done with this long ordeal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 8171 Old 07-16-2004, 08:10 AM
TCB
Advanced Member

TH3_FRB,
Man, sorry to hear about that. What a bummer.

Check out my Simon and Garfunkel tribute duo:
Feelin' Groovy: The Music of Simon and Garfunkel or my music at
My Music Website
post #543 of 8171 Old 07-16-2004, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah man. I've got it sold so I wasn't expecting to be watching it anyway, but I was supposed to drive it to the new owner this weekend and now sh has to wait another couple weeks for the replacement to arrive. I picked up one of thos Sanyo's at WalMart (don't laugh, it's a damn nice 32" HD set actually) to hold me through the summer till I figure the DLP options out. I just wanted to be done dealing with this warranty claim crap.

Quote:

Originally posted by TCB
TH3_FRB,
Man, sorry to hear about that. What a bummer.

post #544 of 8171 Old 07-16-2004, 08:23 AM

I did say I was glad I got a CRT-based set rather than one that was MORE LIKELY to have burn-in issues. Plasma is the only other type of display I considered as I have other objections to LCDs and projection units.

I too expect to use my TV for 10 years. The set I retired is a 15-year-old, 27" Sony that's been fairly heavily used and was a display model when I bought it. It's still going strong and the picture compares favorably with most of what's on the market today.

SD is maybe 25% of our use of this TV now and I expect that will go down even further in the future. I feel quite comfortable not stretching SD on this set. I would have some concern if I had a plasma monitor and that would detract from my enjoyment of the TV.

If wide zoom works for you, more power to you. For me, it's like watching TV in a funhouse--amusing in its own way, but not the experience I'm normally after when I turn on the television.
post #545 of 8171 Old 07-16-2004, 08:28 AM

so how big is the box? I'm trying to figure out if I can pickup it up using an SUV. anyone have an idea?
post #546 of 8171 Old 07-16-2004, 08:34 AM

Mine is 44.5" x 32" x 30".
post #547 of 8171 Old 07-16-2004, 10:05 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by MoneyMINTR
Phantastica,

What are you using to manage your HTPC?

Here's the HTPC lowdown (this is getting a little off topic):

Software:

- Windows Media Center 2004
- BeyondTV (for pvr'ing)
- DVHScap for capturing HD content through firewire
- Zoomplayer for media playback
- Powerstrip for resolution management
- Girder for controlling the PC with a universal remote and for tuning the cable box\\

Hardware:

- Athlon XP 2500 Moblie Barton clocked to XP 3200 speeds
- Radeon 9800 NP flashed with Pro bios and cooled with Artic Cooling VGA Silencer
- ATI DVI/Component adapter
- Asus A7N8X with Dolby Digital 5.1
- 512mb OCZ 3200 Ram
- Seagate Barricuda SATA Hard Drive (not all that quiet)
- Hauppauge PVR250
- USB-UIRT
- Logitech wireless keyboard/optical mouse
- Antec P160 case

It's all working very seamlessly with the 34XBR960 right now. I originally thought that I would need to run everything through Windows Media Center because of the 10 foot interface. But everything is so crisp on this TV that I can use the computer like normal without straining my eyes to read the text. It was very easy finding timings and resolutions that work with this TV. It could handle almost anything I threw at it. You can tell that everything is being scaled up to 1080i, but at resolutions around 1280x720, the amount of flicker is pretty minimal.

HD content being played from the PC is drop dead gorgeous! I really don't think it could look better. The colour and quality blew me away (the same can be said for regular HDTV content from the cable box).

Games also look amazing. So far, every game I've tried has supported widescreen resolutions. Last night I loaded up the Half Life 2 beta and the combination of the wide screen aspect ratio, high resolution, and 5.1 surround sound made it an extremely cinematic experience.

I honestly expected the setup and integration with this set to be more complicated, but everything went smoothly and the whole experience is pretty seamless at this point.

The 34XBR960 is definitely cutout for having a computer attached to the other end!

I'll take some better photos this weekend when I have some daylight to work with. I'll be sure to get some detailed photos of the front and rear panel.
post #548 of 8171 Old 07-16-2004, 10:57 AM

Well, everything is finally delivered, set up and working properly. Here it is....
(DVD player: Denon 2200; Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR600)
post #549 of 8171 Old 07-16-2004, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Anyone have a front-to-back measurement of the base? (not the overall depth, just how deep a piece of furniture I'll need to make sure the feet are completely on the top.)
post #550 of 8171 Old 07-16-2004, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Nice setup man! Enjoy your new XBR960!

post #551 of 8171 Old 07-16-2004, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Phantastica

HD content being played from the PC is drop dead gorgeous! I really don't think it could look better. The colour and quality blew me away (the same can be said for regular HDTV content from the cable box).

Games also look amazing. So far, every game I've tried has supported widescreen resolutions. Last night I loaded up the Half Life 2 beta and the combination of the wide screen aspect ratio, high resolution, and 5.1 surround sound made it an extremely cinematic experience.

I honestly expected the setup and integration with this set to be more complicated, but everything went smoothly and the whole experience is pretty seamless at this point.

The 34XBR960 is definitely cutout for having a computer attached to the other end!

I'll take some better photos this weekend when I have some daylight to work with. I'll be sure to get some detailed photos of the front and rear panel.

Did you already give an opinion on non-hd/sd/analog PQ?

thx

bob
post #552 of 8171 Old 07-16-2004, 01:45 PM

Phantastica,

I've got a couple questions about the workings of i.Link and the XBR960.

What device does the XBR960 show up as under XP? AV/C Tuner? Were there any drivers that you had to go find, or did it `just work'? From some of the other threads in the HDTV Recorders forum, it seems that it's a bit of a pain to get the drivers setup?

I have to say that the thought of playing around with the i.Link on the XBR960 is what's got me the most excited and anxious for mine to show up! =)
post #553 of 8171 Old 07-16-2004, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know how to change the black bars to gray. I can't figure out why one station (kyw-dt 3.1) has gray bars while the rest (whyy-dt, wcau-dt etc.) do not.

Thanks
post #554 of 8171 Old 07-16-2004, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Well this set finally shows up on the CC website! I'm in NYC and it shows availability on-line and in two NJ stores. Free basic delivery..but no free stand like that had with the 910. Does anyone know if CC will have an "official" sale on the 960?
post #555 of 8171 Old 07-16-2004, 02:10 PM

AFAIK, the grey bars are put there by the broadcaster on 4:3 upconverted programming, not by your TV. I get the same thing in Salt Lake City, the local HD CBS station has gray bars on my 32HS420, whereas the others are black. It looks like kyw-dt is your local HD CBS station?

The gray bars are actually a pretty annoying on the 32" model, since with the squeezed picture on HD signals there are very black bars on top and bottom. It really makes me appreciate the Zoom function on that set. =)
post #556 of 8171 Old 07-16-2004, 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by snclawson
Phantastica,

I've got a couple questions about the workings of i.Link and the XBR960.

What device does the XBR960 show up as under XP? AV/C Tuner? Were there any drivers that you had to go find, or did it `just work'? From some of the other threads in the HDTV Recorders forum, it seems that it's a bit of a pain to get the drivers setup?

I have to say that the thought of playing around with the i.Link on the XBR960 is what's got me the most excited and anxious for mine to show up! =)

The firewire line that I'm running into my PC is from the Motorola 6200 box, not the XBR960. If I have a chance this weekend then I'll give it a shot.

As for my impressions of the SD quality, it's about what I'd expect. The Motorola 6200 is doing the actual tuning, so I can't comment on the XBR960's tuner, but its ability to display SD (analogue and digital) doesn't strike me as being poor. The biggest problem I have is with the amount of compression that Comcast has on a lot of their channels. SD channels that have either better encoding or a higher bitrate look pretty solid though. In my opinion the XBR960 is doing a good job of displaying SD. I'm coming from a 20 inch tv though, so anything is going to be a big step forward.
post #557 of 8171 Old 07-16-2004, 02:36 PM

Liked: 14
Man, this is a long thread. Has anyone done a side by side with the 910? My biggest problem with the 910 is the lack of brightness in certain modes.

What I find really weird about the 960 is that it doesn't say XBR anywhere on the front. To me, XBR is a selling feature and something to show with pride. I'd be disappointed not having the little logo on the front.
post #558 of 8171 Old 07-16-2004, 02:45 PM

..says trinitron XBR Super Fine Pitch right on the flip-up front panel.
post #559 of 8171 Old 07-16-2004, 06:48 PM

Unusually enough, this TV does not have feet. The bottom is flat and also the wing-like things on the sides that extend forward a bit (which you fasten to the Sony stand, if you buy a Sony stand) also rest on the stand surface.

If you want everything that could be on the surface to rest on the surface with no overhang, your stand needs to be a minimum of 22" deep.

Mine is 24" deep and I have a bit more than an inch and a quarter clearance in front and a little less than three quarters of an inch in back. That's just about right, in my opinion. Which is just dumb luck on my part, since I bought the stand before the TV was even available. Did I say I have about 1/2 inch extra on either side of the TV too? Did I mention dumb luck?
post #560 of 8171 Old 07-17-2004, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I've seen mentioned in a few 910 reviews that in order to appreciate the added resolution in the tube you must have the contrast set fairly low (Perfect Vision). Can anyone say if this is lower than required for accurate calibration...and is it evidenced in the 960?

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #561 of 8171 Old 07-18-2004, 01:41 AM

I've only read the first 2 pages of this thread (boy, is it long), and a lot of people have said that the Sony KD-34XBR960 is not available at Best Buy. I work at a Best Buy in the Chicagoland area and have been following this TV since it was announced. So one day I punched in the model number into our system and the TV's info came up. I was surprised because our store never carries XBRs. I even did a fake delivery and used my name and address as the recipient, and it went through. Of course I had to void the transaction because I can't sell myself a TV...BUT ANYWAY, yes Best Buy has it in their system, but I don't think they're gonna get any for display on the sales floor. It's probably gonna be a special order item only. Hell, maybe I'll buy it, get it delivered, then return it to the store and display it myself. Last time I checked it was the same price as on SonyStyle.com, but you can always go to the store and tell them to do a price check. I don't know the SKU number offhand, but I can check in about 4 hours since I have a store meeting in about that time.

I've tried offering this TV to customers, but none of them are interested. Same thing when we had the KV-34HS510. They'd come in and ask me "What's the best TV you guys got?" So, I'd walk them to the 34HS510 and they would laugh at me or look confused and say: "But it's so small?" or "Wait...this isn't a plasma." Well, enough complaining for me. I gotta get some sleep before that meeting. (10 bucks says I forget to wake up)
post #562 of 8171 Old 07-18-2004, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd love the Best Buy SKU. If you can find it in the system in Chicago, would it necessarily be available as a special order here in NJ?

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #563 of 8171 Old 07-18-2004, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

I heard on the news that Sony is going to be producing the tubes ina different country. This was a few months ago, so I dont remember the exact details...
post #564 of 8171 Old 07-18-2004, 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by foxfan
Here is the MOST IMPORTANT difference between the XBR and the XS. The XBR has Firewire, the XS doesn't. What's the point of having an integrated tuner if you can't record anything from it? An integrated HD receiver with firewire is the most required item here since the Canadian cable companies don't have firewire on their receivers. When cablecards will be activated, only the xbr960 owners will be able to record HD. This feature is the ultimate reason to buy in the United States of America.

I'm contemplating buying this in the US, even though I live in Montreal. Closest place might be Plattsburgh Vt? If anyone knows a good price for the set in Plattsburgh or Burlington, please let me know! *If* something should go wrong with this set, what would I have to do, since the warranty is US and I'm in Canada?
post #565 of 8171 Old 07-18-2004, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

I usually don't watch 4:3 tv but I have been catching a few programs in this mode and have noticed something odd. On the extreme left (of the image that is being displayed) there is a vertical row of red pixels and on the extreme right of the image is a vertical row of blue pixels. Do any other owners have this anomaly and if so, is this something that can be fixed via user settings and/or service menu adj.?
post #566 of 8171 Old 07-18-2004, 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jack Gilvey
I'd love the Best Buy SKU. If you can find it in the system in Chicago, would it necessarily be available as a special order here in NJ?

The SKU is: 6718572
These SKUs are company-wide, so your local Best Buy rep should be able to order it from anywhere. To find out for sure, just go to the store and tell an employee to look it up. In the delivery screen, it will say: "Store Amount: 0 , Warehouse Amount: 0" That's cool because it's a special order item, but the delivery should still go through. Let me know of any problems.

I also looked for other models in the system and found out that Best Buy is also getting the KD-34XS955 and KD-30XS955 models, but not until September. And I think that these will actually be on display in the store and not just a special order item.
post #567 of 8171 Old 07-18-2004, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

Bestbuy has the Sony HTIB Model: HT-6600DP for $449.99. I belive Circuit City has a 14 day price match policy. I went in and PM for the price difference + 10% of the difference. Circuit City had this for $559 when I bought it a week ago w/ my XBR 960 (which is till on order) and now they have it for $499. Good luck (take the print out of Bestbuy to them) Remember your XBR960 and HTIB have to be on the same receipt for the $400 rebate. In the end you pay around $90 after taxes for a $500 theatre system. I had a 10% off any audio/theatre system coupon; they would not let me pricematch and use the 10% off. I argued that anyone can walk in and price match, but everyone did not get a "special" coupon which I got in the mail for moving to my new residence. Manager wouldn't budge and made a comment that he gurantees that it's on sale and will find out during lunch. I'm guessing they don't price match clearance itmes; however, I didn't see it say clearance. Regardeless, I didn't argue because I was getting a good deal anyway. Good luck.

UPDATE: Circuit City.com has a 110% 30 day price match gurantee. In store probably has the same thing.
http://www.circuitcity.com/cs_conten...=c&incat=11061

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....0&type=product
post #568 of 8171 Old 07-19-2004, 12:28 AM

I bet you that 10% off coupon says something like "Not good with any other offer" on it in fine print, and that's why you can't get both deals. Same thing over at Best Buy, a price match counts as a promotion and you can't get two promotions (there are very rare instances). Best Buy was also the first to have that 110% 30-day price match dealy....so go to hell Circuit City! Nah, just kidding. I like the product they have over at CC better anyway. Actually, look for some "special" Best Buy stores (upgraded stores) that are going to carry product that the other stores don't have. Mine is currently being remodeled to become one of these stores.
post #569 of 8171 Old 07-19-2004, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the SKU, LordSte...I'll let you know how I make out.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #570 of 8171 Old 07-19-2004, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

bnbhoha,

Thanks for the heads up on the best buy price. Do you need a coupon to show CC the price BB are offering for or do they call them?
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page