6Likes

post #31 of 8178 Old 06-10-2004, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by CPanther95

Anyone have an "in-store" date yet? Will BB likely carry it or only CC? (I've got a boatload of BB Gift cards I'd like to use)

Tweeter said they would be in their warehouse by July 9th. Sonystyle site said they will have them by July 2nd. CC had not a clue.

These are not necessarily in store dates, however.

I doubt BB will carry them because my understanding is they can't carry the XBR line. They never carried the 910. CC has the XBR line, however.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 8178 Old 06-10-2004, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

I recently asked Circuit City if I can buy the 960 when it enters their systems. They said I can and I dont have to wait untill it hits their stores....As soon as the 960 clears the warehouse, purchase is viable... I am getting really excited.

Ladies and Gentleman....

LESS THAN A MONTH TO GO!!!!!

I plan to use their 18 month financing deal. How easy is it to get credit from them? I do have Good credit. My annual salary isnt too high though. I was able to get 2200 from best buy though a few years ago...
post #33 of 8178 Old 06-10-2004, 08:36 AM

Does CC have a price yet? It concerns me that since they are giving a free stand away with the 910, but not with the 960, the total price will be the same. So the 960 really isn't cheaper when you look at it that way.
post #34 of 8178 Old 06-10-2004, 11:21 AM

Jamison, I think they're flexible so long as you haven't stiffed anyone and since they want to sell the TV.

Ed, we probably have to accept the fact that the price of the 910 including freebies will continue to drop as the 960's become available, so the 960 shouldn't be cheaper than the 910 since it has the tuner, etc.
post #35 of 8178 Old 06-10-2004, 11:27 AM

Actually Sony has lowered the MSRP on several of their TVs compared to the previous models. So I think it is reasonable to expect prices to come down even though more features are added. Plus since all TVs above a certain size will need to have the tuner by a certain date, so it makes sense that the per unit cost of such a feature will drop. Anyway, I just wish Sony would continue to include a stand with the 960. Obviously with a TV that heavy, there aren't many other options, which is why I think they started offering the stand with the 910 and 800 originally.
post #36 of 8178 Old 06-10-2004, 04:23 PM

For Canadians who, like me, are interested getting in this TV, I thought I'd relay some unsavoury info I learned today. I talked briefly with a salesman at Fairview Mall's Sony Store in Toronto today, and he is not expecting to receive the XBR960 until November/December. This seems to jive with what I learned today from several other stores in Toronto, most of which had no knowledge about the new model. Not to mention the fact that it isn't listed yet on Sonystyle.ca

I don't know whether or not this has any bearing on the XBR960's expected availability in the US. Either way, for Canadians looking to buy this TV from a local dealer, it looks like it's still a fairly long way off.

*sigh*
post #37 of 8178 Old 06-10-2004, 04:50 PM

What a small world. I live on the same street as the dealer from New Orleans.
post #38 of 8178 Old 06-10-2004, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Im not sure about the power requirements, but cant you buy the tv set in America? Toronto is close to the border...
post #39 of 8178 Old 06-10-2004, 06:55 PM

That's definitely something worth looking into, assuming I can get it for less than or equal to the cost of a 910 here. In any case, I just wanted to post my findings for the benefit of others, that's all.
post #40 of 8178 Old 06-10-2004, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

My dealer in jersey said his dist. was going to have "a few" for him within 10 days. For those of you who pm'd & emailed me, you might want to check to see if you can grab one.

Cheers
post #41 of 8178 Old 06-10-2004, 11:33 PM
Tly

As I'm very interested in the 960 I was curious about the "rumor" that HDTV sets make normal cable viewing atrocious since all of the artifacts are way more apparent. Is this true? Would I have to go with digital cable (I have basic cable now) to avoid this?

tks!

Ty
post #42 of 8178 Old 06-11-2004, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
As I'm very interested in the 960 I was curious about the "rumor" that HDTV sets make normal cable viewing atrocious since all of the artifacts are way more apparent. Is this true? Would I have to go with digital cable (I have basic cable now) to avoid this?

hopefully this will help alleviate this problem

Digital Reality Creation MultiFunction V1 Circuitry raises standard definition signals to HD quality via a digital bit mapping process, which is user adjustable. The end result? A display of clear, stable images from any video source.
post #43 of 8178 Old 06-11-2004, 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Limber
For Canadians who, like me, are interested getting in this TV, I thought I'd relay some unsavoury info I learned today. I talked briefly with a salesman at Fairview Mall's Sony Store in Toronto today, and he is not expecting to receive the XBR960 until November/December. This seems to jive with what I learned today from several other stores in Toronto, most of which had no knowledge about the new model. Not to mention the fact that it isn't listed yet on Sonystyle.ca

I don't know whether or not this has any bearing on the XBR960's expected availability in the US. Either way, for Canadians looking to buy this TV from a local dealer, it looks like it's still a fairly long way off.

*sigh*

Actually, I was told Sony Canada was very interested in bringing the 960 to Canada in June. However this was contingent on Canadian MSO's willing to support 1-way POD which they are reluctant to do at this time since it would undercut their business model. When 2-way POD rolls out in a year or two we will see such sets on the Canadian market. But for now it looks like us Canadians will have to be content with the 34xs955 which should show up in Canada by October.
post #44 of 8178 Old 06-13-2004, 12:37 PM

Liked: 11
Does anyone have a picture of the back panel jack-pack???

I think we ALL need to know what kind of Digital Audio output this monitor features (to return to your A/V receiver/Preamp processor).

Hell hath no fury, like a women's scorn for Sega - Broadie.

Segaboy out..........
post #45 of 8178 Old 06-13-2004, 04:16 PM

Segaboy
I asked that on 6-3 and got no responses. Also someone, on one of the "960" threads, was getting a link to the manual.
I hope our questions are answered very soon.
post #46 of 8178 Old 06-13-2004, 04:30 PM

Is that $400 Rebate on combined TV/Stereo System purchase good only from SonyStyle.com or from any dealer?

If so, you could get a free theater in a box set with this tv. Are the rest of the sony home theater packages worth the extra money?

Danananananananana...Batman! (No reason, just wanted a signature.)
post #47 of 8178 Old 06-13-2004, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Home theater is NOT free. At circuit city, the lowest price model from the list given on the form is $530.00 But you do get a CC gift card....

Here is the form you need to fill out:

https://www.web-rebates.com/sony/pdf/04-B31701.pdf

It appears that you can go to ANY store. As long as you Buy the xbr960 + one model from a list of models (home theater systems) on the same reciept dated up to aug.30 you will get:

1.) rebate check for $400.00
2.) choice of 4 dvd's valued at $15.00 each
3.) sony backpack valued at $25.00

Looks like this is the ONLY home theater you can get at Circuit city:

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...&oid=76609&m=0
post #48 of 8178 Old 06-13-2004, 06:04 PM

It would have been nice if Sony had included one of their wireless headphones in the list. Those of us in apartments who can't use speakers setups. Drats!

I live in a retirement community.
Lots of "OF"s.
post #49 of 8178 Old 06-13-2004, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by weetoots
It would have been nice if Sony had included one of their wireless headphones in the list. Those of us in apartments can't use speakers setups. Drats!

Hmmmm... I live in a STUDIO apartment with a Home theater system....
post #50 of 8178 Old 06-13-2004, 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JamisonBWolsh
Home theater is NOT free. At circuit city, the lowest price model from the list given on the form is $530.00 But you do get a CC gift card....

It appears that you can go to ANY store. As long as you Buy the xbr960 + one model from a list of models (home theater systems) on the same reciept dated up to aug.30

Looks like this is the ONLY home theater you can get at Circuit city:

That one you linked is the DAVFC8 for $629.99 at Circuit City. It's only $599.95 at SonyStyle.com.

At SonyStyle.com the HT-V2000DP is only $399.95, so at least one option would be free if you bought your TV from Sony. :P

CircuitCity also has the HT6600DP for $539.99 plus a 10% Merchandise Card. That system is $599.95 at SonyStyle.

Thanks for the link to the rebate form!

It is too bad the TV and Theater Package have to be on the same receipt. :/

Danananananananana...Batman! (No reason, just wanted a signature.)
post #51 of 8178 Old 06-14-2004, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Im think about getting it. I have a home theater from Kenwood that I bought for 275.00. It has great reviews for it. Audio review says it sounds like a $1000 unit... But it is 2 years old and you cant buy it anymore. The sony systems are more expensive, so should be better quality. BUT i have ready many more negative comments then positive from regular consumers. I could not find any profesional reviews for this "dream dvd home theater system" Anyone subscribe to consumer reports? I would love the hear what they think....
post #52 of 8178 Old 06-20-2004, 11:34 AM

Does anyone have a diagram or picture of the back panel of the XBR-960?

I want to know if there is some kind of digital audio output, or do we need to use the Firewire to carry Dolby Digital and/or DTS from the monitor to our A/V receiver/preamp?

Hell hath no fury, like a women's scorn for Sega - Broadie.

Segaboy out..........
post #53 of 8178 Old 06-21-2004, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Has anyone actually confirmed these sets are/will be available soon? I've read several posts about them shipping in the next couple weeks, but the rep handling my 40xbr800 warranty claim said they will not be available until August...but he did agree to give me the 34" if I'm willing to wait.
post #54 of 8178 Old 06-21-2004, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Why do you want to start rumors? Your the first guy that said it will be available in Aug. Check the sonystyle website,,, It says on or about July 2nd. Most stores have them in their systems at this point. All evidence suggests July 2nd. So please stop posting the august date on EVERY thread your on....
post #55 of 8178 Old 06-21-2004, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not starting rumors. I'm simply reporting information that I was given from a Sony rep regarding the availability of this set and asking if anyone has any additional info. Could it be incorrect...of course. Did I make it up...no. Are you free to believe what you want and disagree...sure are. But I guess since you saw it on the internet it must be true.

I hope they are out July 2 because I'll have mine sooner than I expect, but I won't believe it until someone actually puts their hands on one of these sets. As of now, July 2 is no more valid than August as far as I'm concerned.

Have a great day.
post #56 of 8178 Old 06-21-2004, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

No more valid then august? Lets see... ONE person told you august and that makes it as valid as July? I dont believe EVERYTHING I read on the internet. lets look at FACTS:

Sonystyle (sony's owned website) reports On or about July 2
News report From Sony that says it will be released in June
Model is now in Stores computers (which they say they dont add if it is not going to be released in a week or 2).

Thats my facts... Yours for august:

1.) TELEPHONE rep says August.
Whoop bee doo. Telephone reps dont know everything. I asked my cable company (adelphia) If I can order HDTV srevice. They said yes. So rep started to process the order.. then they said "Im sorry, HDTV will be available in July"

YOUR date is no more valid then, lets say OCT or Dec. If you want us to take your date more seriously, your going to have to provide mode FACTS!!!
post #57 of 8178 Old 06-21-2004, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

You're convinced that you're right and I'm convinced that nobody will know for sure until they actually ship...hopefully July, maybe not till August. My "telephone rep" is actually a mid-level manager in customer service warranty claims...my claim has been elevated to higher level people several times. But that still doesn't mean the information I was given is correct. Just thought the folks out there would be interested in ALL the available information so they can have an educated opinion of their own.

Thanks for your input, you've been most helpful.
post #58 of 8178 Old 06-21-2004, 09:55 AM
Tly

Man, I sure hope they ship soon (July 2 or whatnot). Not trying to add fuel to the fire but I called the Sony Store (for Sony employees) and was told they wouldn't be available for 8 weeks. Now there is certainly a distinct possibility that Sony would place retailers ahead of employees (makes sense imo) so don't take this as an affirmation that the August date is correct for retailers.
post #59 of 8178 Old 06-21-2004, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Which is what might be the case for my warranty claim. I could see them putting the retailers ahead of claims for a new product like this. It may be that the sets will ship to stores in early July and then units will be available for other purposes after the initial demand is satisfied.
post #60 of 8178 Old 06-21-2004, 10:43 AM

Jamison, I think you're being a little hard on TH3. I appreciate any info from all sources, even if it turns out to be wrong, which we all hope it will be.

Thanks for the post, TH3.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page