post #631 of 8188 Old 07-23-2004, 05:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by doretta
Be sure and check the shipping cost. Once shipping to me is added, the price is no lower than I got locally.

Good point. One other thing to add. Don't be too foolish on saving the last dollar on a heavy item like this. I've had a 42" plasma display, a 32" TV, and a 24" computer monitor all broken during shipping. I am considering the XBR960 as my next purchase, and you can bet I will be buying it locally, even if it is a bit more expensive than the best deal on the web.

-Dylan

I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 8188 Old 07-23-2004, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I just got my XBR960 last week. I love the TV but have been having a problem: Whenever the TV has been off for a couple hours and I turn it on, the cable picture is kinda scrambled and I can't get any Digital Channels. If I switch to Twin View the other picture looks fine.

I had a problem with my tuner as well. The cable SD channels were bad and there was no HD reception for the first 10 minutes or so and then it would immediately improve for some reason. This happened every time from a cold start.

At first I thought it was just a cable problem and upgraded my splitters, etc. and it seemed to work at first. However, I continued to have problems and finally called CC and they were very cooperative about replacing it with a new one. The tech moron CC then sent out claimed there was nothing wrong, since he fiddled with it for 10 minutes and he thought since it improved like it always had, he had "fixed it". He also blamed the surround sound system and everything else. He didn't even know you could get HD channels without a STB and never heard of the digital channels with the decimal point tuning. Finally, I had to just tell him to either take it back or replace it and the supervisor told him "if the customer wants it replaced, replace it." I was still within the 30 day return period.

The new one has worked perfectly.
post #633 of 8188 Old 07-23-2004, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by dahester
Good point. One other thing to add. Don't be too foolish on saving the last dollar on a heavy item like this. I've had a 42" plasma display, a 32" TV, and a 24" computer monitor all broken during shipping. I am considering the XBR960 as my next purchase, and you can bet I will be buying it locally, even if it is a bit more expensive than the best deal on the web.

-Dylan

You'd have to be crazy or really lucky to buy this set mail order. I saw 2 differnt sets last Sunday, 1 at GG and the other at Magnolia. The GG set looked fine but the Magnolia set had such horrible geometry problems ( 4:3 box looked like a trapezoid) !! That I told the sales guy that they were crazy to even display a set with that gross of a problem.

bob
post #634 of 8188 Old 07-23-2004, 11:57 PM

Quote:

Nope, not seeing a single pixel out of place. I've variously seen both 30 and 32 dB as the number below which you are likely to see problems.

Not sure what Comcast tells their techs but mine obviously was puzzled by the marginal signal numbers and the fact that there was no problem with the picture on any of the digital channels. He replaced all the cabling to this set, including the line from the main cable on the street to the house.

I'm a little puzzled by the STB comment. Isn't the reported SNR is a measure of what the cable is delivering to the set?

Are you at QAM 256 or QAM 64? QAM 64 spec is down to 28db.

The S/N is a mathmatical formula involving the MERL and a few other things - and it is the line feeding the box.
post #635 of 8188 Old 07-23-2004, 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Busta J
I just got my XBR960 last week. I love the TV but have been having a problem: Whenever the TV has been off for a couple hours and I turn it on, the cable picture is kinda scrambled and I can't get any Digital Channels. If I switch to Twin View the other picture looks fine.

The Only way I know to fix this is to turn off the tv and turn it back on again. After that SD cable looks great, i pick up Digital channels, and HD looks great. Anyone else have this problem or have heard anything about it? Is it possible that one of the tuners is bad?

Again, what is the S/N on the channels you can't get when this happens? Is it QAM 256 or QAM 64.
post #636 of 8188 Old 07-24-2004, 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by HDTVFanAtic
Are you at QAM 256 or QAM 64? QAM 64 spec is down to 28db.

The S/N is a mathmatical formula involving the MERL and a few other things - and it is the line feeding the box.

Definitely at QAM 256.

Right S/N measures the quality of the feed from the cable, so what did you mean by the last sentence of:

Specs for QAM 256 call for floor of 32db, so its a shock you can get a lock on the QAM. I am getting pixelazation at 32db. It's looking like this is going to be an issue as the STB has a good 37db S/N on it.
post #637 of 8188 Old 07-24-2004, 12:36 AM

It means that if you do not have 32db of S/N all bets are off on locking into a QAM signal...or staying locked on.

If you are at 32db or below, you could have the issues listed above in the past several posts.

I have the STB as the cablecard drivers will not be released to the system until further testing. I can look at the S/N of a channel on the STB or the TV with the same feed.

The STB has 37 - the Sony has 32.

The Sony's tuner is more stingy, for lack of a better word, and looses 5db of S/N.

This is also true of the Panasonic and every CableCard TV I have heard of thus far.

If the TV Makers used a different reference than the MSO and are thinking that the S/N should be fine at 32db, there are going to be MAJOR problems.
post #638 of 8188 Old 07-24-2004, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Well, I am getting my 2nd 960 today at 12:30-2:30pm. Lets hope it comes out perfect. My 1st one had a slight geometric problem in the bottom right hand corner. If this one has that same problem, then I will accept it. If I had to do it over again, i would NEVER have called a sony authorized tech to "fix it". He pretty much destroyed this set. My 30 day policy ends the 28th, so I will have a few days with this 2nd set.
post #639 of 8188 Old 07-24-2004, 09:03 AM

Quote:

I have the STB as the cablecard drivers will not be released to the system until further testing. I can look at the S/N of a channel on the STB or the TV with the same feed.

The STB has 37 - the Sony has 32.

The Sony's tuner is more stingy, for lack of a better word, and looses 5db of S/N.

This is also true of the Panasonic and every CableCard TV I have heard of thus far.

What makes you think the difference is due to the tuner degrading the signal as opposed to the measurement circuitry just measuring low? Do you have display problems when the cable is plugged directly into the TV but no display problems when you feed the TV from the STB?

My experience (perfectly OK picture but SNR reported at 28 on QAM256) would indicate that the measurement circuitry in the set may be underestimating the actual quality of the signal.
post #640 of 8188 Old 07-24-2004, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Can someone answer this question?

1.) what is Qam?

I checked the diagnostics section of the menu and found out this:

ANTENNA HDTV
Signal strength: 76
Freq: 743000
Modulation: 8vsb
errors:0
SNR: 22
AGC:29

I dont have Cable Hdtv yet (adelphia does not offer it in my area yet)
Can someone tell me if this is good or what?
post #641 of 8188 Old 07-24-2004, 11:12 AM

Quote:

Again, what is the S/N on the channels you can't get when this happens? Is it QAM 256 or QAM 64.

Its QAM256. What is it and what's the difference between the two?
S/N is usually 30 or 31.
post #642 of 8188 Old 07-24-2004, 11:13 AM

Quote:

After clearing up some cabling issues, I must say I'm very pleased with SD on this TV. I'm not seeing any of the artifacting at home that I saw in the store.

I haven't done any tuning yet except for changing "vivid" to "standard" and then boosting the brightness a bit.

After giving the various modes for putting a 4:3 picture on a 16:9 screen a fair trial, I must say I'm very glad I bought a CRT-based TV rather than one more likely to have bar burn-in issues. I can't stand to watch the stretch modes and I don't much like cutting off parts of the picture either.

You're saying the SDTV is bearable BEFORE the cable card, right? As in, straight out of the wall analog cable? Because it may be a deal breaker for me...

I plan on buying from CC, so I know I can just return within 30, but I don't have a pick-up truck to lug the thing both ways. ^_^
post #643 of 8188 Old 07-24-2004, 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by theinfamoustimmy
You're saying the SDTV is bearable BEFORE the cable card, right? As in, straight out of the wall analog cable? Because it may be a deal breaker for me...

Right, the analog channels were fine before the cablecard.
post #644 of 8188 Old 07-24-2004, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Can anybody describe the stretch options - and can it stretch 4:3 sent locally as a 1080i signal with pillar box?

Just ordered mine from Sony.
post #645 of 8188 Old 07-25-2004, 12:23 PM

Anyone know how to program the remote to work with a cable box? Manual says goto pay 51 but it doesn't say how to program the cable box specifically and I haven't been able to get it to work with my Pioneer HDTV tuner.
post #646 of 8188 Old 07-25-2004, 09:03 PM

Quote:

What makes you think the difference is due to the tuner degrading the signal as opposed to the measurement circuitry just measuring low? Do you have display problems when the cable is plugged directly into the TV but no display problems when you feed the TV from the STB?

yes
post #647 of 8188 Old 07-25-2004, 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JamisonBWolsh
Can someone answer this question?

1.) what is Qam?

I checked the diagnostics section of the menu and found out this:

ANTENNA HDTV
Signal strength: 76
Freq: 743000
Modulation: 8vsb
errors:0
SNR: 22
AGC:29

I dont have Cable Hdtv yet (adelphia does not offer it in my area yet)
Can someone tell me if this is good or what?

It is a type of modulation....over the air you are seeing 8vsb. On Cable it will be either QAM64, QAM128 or QAM256. The higher the QAM, the more bandwidth, thus more signals, they can put on the Frequency.
post #648 of 8188 Old 07-25-2004, 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Busta J
Its QAM256. What is it and what's the difference between the two?

The cable company can get more channels on the same frequency with QAM 256 (2 HD Signals of 38Mbps total ) as opposed to QAM64.
post #649 of 8188 Old 07-25-2004, 09:09 PM

I had a number of problems with my 910 which resulted in me getting an upgrade to a 960.

The 960 is also exhibiting some geometry problems I am not thrilled about.

The only way to REALLY fix these things is to take it apart and redo all the magnets on the tube.

I will tell you from my experience with this design, I wouldn't dream of mail ordering this set.
post #650 of 8188 Old 07-25-2004, 09:40 PM

fanatic, do you plan on having the geometry fixed? Mine could also use some improvement. Let me know your plan of action.
post #651 of 8188 Old 07-25-2004, 09:42 PM

In 2-3 weeks, myself and 2 other people will be going down to the US from Canada to buy the 34xbr960. With the extended/international warranty we should be safe. We definately will be checking the 3 sets in the store for obvious defects before we come back with our trophies.

What would be a list of things we should check. Are there any known potential problems with this model we should look out for besides geometry?

Matt
post #652 of 8188 Old 07-26-2004, 12:25 AM

Gack.

The kid and I were messing around with the different screen modes on the 960 when suddenly a narrow black frame appeared near the edges of the picture.

Anybody seen this? It's weird looking. It shows up on all the channels, no matter what the screen mode is. It even shows up when we choose the memory stick input.

Don't start explaining about black bars and different aspect ratios and etc., that isn't what this is. Think of the picture on the TV as a paper photograph. Now think of an empty picture frame whose overall dimensions are just a bit smaller than those of the photograph. Now think of the frame set down on top of the photograph. Most of the picture shows up inside the black frame, but some of it is visible around the OUTSIDE edge of the frame.

Talk about something you don't want burned into your screen. Turning the set on and off has no effect. Resetting the video menu has no effect.

Any ideas anyone?
post #653 of 8188 Old 07-26-2004, 01:22 AM

Unplug the unit from the wall (AC power) for two hours.

Then reconnect the monitor and power up.

I would also remove CableCard and/or Cable TV feed.

If there is a Master Reset in the owner's manual...Go for it, once you have 'cleared' the memory of the unit.

CALL SONY!

Hell hath no fury, like a women's scorn for Sega - Broadie.

Segaboy out..........
post #654 of 8188 Old 07-26-2004, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
After reading this thread for months, I decided to take the plunge. Just got my '960 on Saturday. Thanks for all the excellent information from all you "early adopters." I Bought from ABT in Glenview, Illinois.

Love the set! What a picture! I'm using it with an external rotatable yagi antenna for OTA signals. Here in Chicago, there's quite a lot of programming on the digital channels. Especially enjoy watching the digital "simulcasts" that eliminate all the analog artifacts (ghosting, airplane flutter, etc.). And great audio--I'm only using my home theater audio system for DVD's.

But, I did have a few questions regarding signal strength. Apparently, either the digital modes need a strong signal, or the Sony tuner isn't very sensitive. I live in Wilmette, approximately 14 miles from the DTV transmitters. When I first plugged the TV in, I got perfect reception from some digital channels, and some "blocking" on others. I re-aimed the antenna, and everything on all the digital channels was fine. But some of the analog channels were ghosting. Well, I re-aimed slightly to optimize the analog channels, and some of the digital channels started "blocking" and then dropped out ("no signal"). Luckily, I have two pre-amps in my distribution system, so I was able to increase the gain, and now everything's fine all-around. (I typically lost "lock" at about 21 S/N and 65 on the "antenna bar." Now that things are operating fine, I get 30 S/N and 85-98 on the antenna signal strength.)

I would like to know more about the "suggested" S/N strength and what the "antenna" signal bar actually mean. (For example, what does the green light mean--and what if you hit "100"or go above that--is that then too strong a signal?) Can anyone provide more information on this?

TIA

Mark
post #655 of 8188 Old 07-27-2004, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 35
*bump*

post #656 of 8188 Old 07-27-2004, 10:30 AM

exactly what I was thinking...
post #657 of 8188 Old 07-27-2004, 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by daumier
No review yet -- but question for new owners: does your tv take several seconds to actually turn on after you hit the power button? Mine starts by degaussing itself (manual says this is normal), but then it takes about 10 - 15 seconds (I'm guessing here - haven't timed it yet) before it actually shows a picture.

Just want to make sure there is nothing wrong w/ my set.

thx!

D

daumier,

What do you mean by degaussing? Does it flicker momentarily at the side of the screen before it turns on? If so, then I have this also. It takes approx 5-7 secs (never timed it) for the TV to turn on. Is this what everyone else is experiencing?
post #658 of 8188 Old 07-27-2004, 01:24 PM

re: degaussing.

This is actually a great feature, and something Sony also puts on its high-end broadcast monitors. It demagnitizes the screen so there is no residual magnitism, which would cause color impurities. This often appears as a red or purple shading in one corner of the screen I actually saw this in my '960 the day I got it. So I turned it off for a few minutes and then back on. The degausser did it's job and I've got a great picture again.

re: Taking a while to "lock up." Mine does take slightly longer than my old analog set. But it's a lot shorter than my Windows computer! Given the complexity of this receiver, we should expect it to take a bit longer to "wake up." It's worth the wait!

Mark
post #659 of 8188 Old 07-27-2004, 02:48 PM

So, what happens when the set is degaussing.

Mine seems to have a "snap, crackle, and pop" sound with momentary flickering (arcs of light) during the initial turn on. Is this normal?
post #660 of 8188 Old 07-27-2004, 03:30 PM

It's hard to describe the sound. (Anyone else able to help?) It's a little like the hum you hear when you turn on a big fan. Almost a "powerful" sound--not too loud, but not thin or weak. It only lasts for a second or two. And the screen will shrink a small amount and show a "rainbow" color (if it's warmed up enough to see).

But the snap, crackle, pop, and arcs of light you describe--I'm concerned about that. It doesn't sound right. I think you should call the store where you bought it and talk with them. Or go back to the store and ask them to turn the floor model off and then back on so you can see (and hear) the degausser in operation.

Mark
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page