The Official Kd-34xbr960 Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #721 of 8178 Old 07-31-2004, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tend to agree. Two bad sets in a row is unlikely. Why not see if the cable company can install a new line?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 8178 Old 07-31-2004, 10:11 PM

jamison sorry to hear about your trials with the 960, sometimes it just plays out that way. maybe its just not meant to be...

since this will be my first hd i'm going to keep the set for at least a couple weeks absent any obvious flaws, just to get to know the equipment. i figure it will take at least that long to program and setup .

if you've been going through the same store its possible they have a bad batch, maybe get the credit then order through sonystyle. cut out the middleman...

i do know that there are plenty of places between the wall and the set where stuff can go wrong. i'd check everything at worst it can make you smarter or grumpier hehe.

anyway, goodluck
post #723 of 8178 Old 07-31-2004, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

It's Not the hook up. Can a Bad hook up create the following behavior?

If the sets has been off for a few hours and I turn it on:

1.) Bad Cable reception (squiggily Lines all over)
2.) No reception from antenna (no hdtv signals)
3.) turn tv off.
4.) Turn tv on
5.) Cable is near perfect (I calibrated this set)
6.) I recieve reception from the antenna. HDTV is a UNBELIEVABLE.
5.)viewing the 960 is the best thing since apple pie.

Thats the problem. Logically speaking, that would eliminate any cable hookups, equipment probs (besides tv) or power problems. Antenna

Cable hookups.
1.) if these were to blame, by turning the set off and then on wont solve the problem.

Equipment probs
1.) same as 1 previous

Power
1.) if the lack of power strentgh is the problem, then the set would not work a 2nd time.

Antenna
1.) I live in an apartment complex that still uses antenna's as well as cable. Sure its an old antenna, but it is BIG. Since I do have reception for HDTV signals when I turn the tv set on again, this would not be the cause.

Let me add to that. I recieved 3 sets.

first set-
BAD curve on the right side of screen (geometric)
This set did not have the problem listed in the 2nd and 3rd set.

2nd set and 3rd set-
problem described at the start.

Can anyone else think of what the problem is? I think , logically speaking, it would be the tuner. I am not technically inclined however, thats what you guys are for!
post #724 of 8178 Old 07-31-2004, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

DizzyFaust,

Does GoodGuys use the same delivery services of CC? I would not want to use the same warehouse where I got the 3 sets from... Good guys also offer the 30 day guarentee and the great no payment and 0 percent financing through sony.
post #725 of 8178 Old 07-31-2004, 10:21 PM

let the set run for 10hrs or so before you calibrate. at least thats what i read in a sticky somehwhere. for starters

hopefully you get alan in here.

okay i read your post carefully. seems like most of the set is working correctly and something else isnt. the hdmi/dvi ? i have no clue.

i'd pay for a sony tech to come in, or the cable tech. then try to recoup the cost from sony. not saying thats fair or just, only what i'd do.

gl bro
post #726 of 8178 Old 08-01-2004, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

too much trouble. I will get a refund and buy the set from goodguys/magnolia,,,
post #727 of 8178 Old 08-01-2004, 11:05 AM

I'm trying to come to grips with the geometry issue. I really can't notice on a channel with a full picture. It only is noticeable when I am looking for it and there is a ticker tape or line at the bottom.

I do have one question. When I call up my DTV guide, the right side of the screen is a bit blurry. Like it is out of focus. This goes all the way up and down the side, not just in the corners. Does this have anything to do with the geometry issue, or is it a result of the signal sent for the guide?

I am torn about exchanging this TV.
post #728 of 8178 Old 08-01-2004, 11:14 AM

The real question is:

Do people have 960's WITHOUT geometry problems??
post #729 of 8178 Old 08-01-2004, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

If your not happy with the set, exchange it (where did you buy it? Was it home delivery?). If its within your 30 days, they wont care if you exchange it. The geometry differs on each set. I had 3 different sets with different geometric problems. The 2nd was the best with hardly any geo. problems. So, it is possible to get a good geo tv set...Just keep in mind that all widescreen tv sets shows the geo problems...
post #730 of 8178 Old 08-01-2004, 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bombs
I do have one question. When I call up my DTV guide, the right side of the screen is a bit blurry. Like it is out of focus. This goes all the way up and down the side, not just in the corners. Does this have anything to do with the geometry issue, or is it a result of the signal sent for the guide?

I am torn about exchanging this TV.

Funny, mine is blurry all down the left side of the screen. There seems to be some sort of focus problem maybe? I put up some geometry patterns and the horizontal convergence is way off all down the left side. =( Before when I was watching TV, the left side seemed a little weird, but it's not something that you would see easily...there's just not that much `stuff' way off to the side that you're really focusing on. It makes using the TV with a PC a nightmare though. The center is nicely in focus, but the sides aren't.
post #731 of 8178 Old 08-01-2004, 07:48 PM

I've been reading all the posts on the 960 because I got a 910 recently and wondered if the new one was all that better. I can tell you my TV has been professionally calibrated, and the picture is incredible in both high def and standard channels. And it aint' just me saying it. I have a feeling the cheaper price and more stuff like their own tuner has lead to lower quality or less careful manufacturing, perhaps, in t he new set. And the tube is the same-- same serial number for replacement. So maybe older is better.
post #732 of 8178 Old 08-01-2004, 07:48 PM

One update about my 960 and audio problems with a DVI-HDMI cable: it seems that the problem is the cable, not the set.

On a lark, I decided to pick up a Monster Cable DVI-HDMI cable from BestBuy and see if it also had the same problem. I hooked it up and it works perfectly. It takes a second or so after hooking it up for the audio to come though, but it does every time. I swapped it out for the old cable and sure enough, the same problem... There must be some sort of handshaking that the cable needs to do with the HDMI port to tell it that there's no audio? Really strange.

So I'll be talking to pccables.com to see if I can get a replacement. =(
post #733 of 8178 Old 08-01-2004, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Im not sure about the 910, but a calibrated 960 looks absolutly STUNNING> This is coming from someone that knows the set. Yes, I went through 3 of them. But once you have one that works (910 has Geo problems as well) you have a GREAT set. If i had a choice between the 910 and the 960. 960 wins. It may not be a VAST improvement, but there is an improvement nonetheless...

Your trying to convince yourself that spending more money on a tv set that is outdated is worth the money. This Tv set REPLACES the 910. In ALL regards, the 960 is an improvement over the 910. From the menu system (more options for us), brightness increase, 2nd generation resolution, and various other smaller improvements (more inputs...No optical input or output on the 910... SO SAD). The 960 is an improvement over the 910. Plain and simple.

Sony does not use cheaper parts JUST because the price tag is lower!!!! Sony has to compete with the marketplace. To survive, they have to lower their prices to relate to market value. Pure Econimics.
post #734 of 8178 Old 08-02-2004, 06:26 AM

JBW,

I'm a total noob and don't even have this set yet (waiting for delivery) but I've been following your problem for a while. What if the initial turn-on problem was caused by something atmospheric or specific to your home. I'm not talking X-Files or anything but maybe static electricity? Humidity? It could affect the tuner at first but after circuits get power or cables heat up for a sec, a "reset" (turning off then on again) clears the problem. I'm about the opposite of technically-minded so this might be the dumbest thing you've ever heard but I'm just trying to throw out ideas. Saw something earlier in one of these threads about "clean power." Is that a similar concept?

Good luck.
post #735 of 8178 Old 08-02-2004, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Im a noob as well. My previous set is 12 years old! You do have agood concept. Wethor or not its true? I dont know. As for the power issue.... I turn it on in the morning when I am not using very much power at all. I dont think it is a power issue. The 1st tv set did not show any symtoms of this. Could be a bad batch?
post #736 of 8178 Old 08-02-2004, 11:44 AM

You may be right. The 960 may be lots better, I don't know. I do know that there sure seem to be more complaints about bad sets, bad geometry, bad SD reception, etc. I don't remember all that in the 910 posts, but maybe I'm wrong. And I did read somewhere that if the tube on the 960 breaks, the replacement has the same part number as the 910 tube, which does make me a tad suspicious.
post #737 of 8178 Old 08-02-2004, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I bought an XBR910 last year and I have no doubt there are more problems with these XBR960s. I don't a thread like this one filled with people complaining about the XBR910. Does anyone else?

post #738 of 8178 Old 08-02-2004, 02:10 PM

tiger i have to disagree with you.

after going through the first 20 pages of this thread here's what i found before i got tired:

pgs1-16 anticipation and discussion;
pg 17 bsd107 had no complaints, overall good. convergence needed work maybe;
pg 18 spiffybot the first complaint-hated the universal remote;
pg 19 gundyrat complaint- analog looked terrible (nuff said);
pg 20 pt270 complaint/review mixed, again the analog looked bad (really)...

at that point i got tired. ive kept up with the thread and imo about 6 (six) posters are having persistant problems. hopefully i wont join their ranks.

this thread isnt full of complaints, and while it isnt a thread for the 910, the 910 is close enough in many ways so that 910 users might be of assitance to 960 users.

feel free to do a count for the last 17 pages, most complaints do tend to come in the latter part of a thread. post your results, because so far i see nothiing to suggest the 960 is comparable to the 910.
post #739 of 8178 Old 08-02-2004, 04:16 PM

After reading all the posts about how bad SD and analog look on the 960 and HD sets in general, I Must admit that I pleasantly surprised by the GOOD picture on the analog channels. I watched the CUP race on TNT and the Drag racing on ESPN last night (both analog channels on my cable system) and keep remarking to myself how good the picture looks. I adjusted the set with DVE and played with the DRC settings so the picture may have not been this good out of the box but looks great right now. BTW, I've had the TV for about ten days now. One note about the picture, I'm currently having trouble getting the cablecard to work properly, so I got the cable company to give me a HD STB (Explorer 3100HD) while they resolve the cable card issue. The picture from the STB is NOT GOOD. Even HBO HD has some amount of noise in the picture. The SD and analog from the STB are worse. The picture using the coax CABLE input on the back of the set: analog channels - great for analog, SD digital channels - cablecard not letting me see them as of yet, PBS-HD and DISC-HD - absolutely stunning. (I'm getting Network HD's and Discovery-HD with the cablecard but no other digital)
post #740 of 8178 Old 08-02-2004, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Amybody else getting good analog PQ only from the cable input directly into the set (using built in tuner)?

bob
post #741 of 8178 Old 08-02-2004, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi JB,
You have a good one now ?
If so congrats, I have some questions;
1 ) Do you use the CableCard?
2 ) If , not have you tried connecting you cable to the "cable" and not the "uhf-vhf" ?
3 ) Do you get scrambled stations , do you get HD cable (the same that would be free if you were using an ant.? )
Thanks , if I get this or wait for the 30"XS , this info would be helpful
Gary
post #742 of 8178 Old 08-02-2004, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

1.) No cable card
2.) Cable is connected to the cable input and my antenna is connecte dto the antenna input.
3.)HDTV through antenna.

and NO, the 3rd tv set did not work correctly. Same problem as #2.. I am going to get a refund and go elsewhere.
post #743 of 8178 Old 08-02-2004, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi JB,
Thanks for the info, for a minute i thought you got a good one.
That`s a real shame , the TV sound like a realy nice set. It could be that you just ended up with a bad batch. I would def, try again.
Like I said , I`m looking at this set , but also wait to see the XS 30" as that would be a better size where it`s going. I think the only dif. between the two is PIP (pop) and Ch. indexing and freeze. It realy is bad for Sony , all yours came from CC right ?
They just came out with it maybe there is a "first batch" glich (lets hope).
Anyway , best of luck , and let us know how you make out , thanks.
Gary
post #744 of 8178 Old 08-02-2004, 06:38 PM

Quote:

Amybody else getting good analog PQ only from the cable input directly into the set (using built in tuner)?

I do not have a STB and my SD picture quality from the cable is quite good after adjustment.
post #745 of 8178 Old 08-02-2004, 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by spongebob

bob

yes...or should I say as good as analog quality could be expected to be
post #746 of 8178 Old 08-02-2004, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by HDTVFanAtic
yes...or should I say as good as analog quality could be expected to be

As good as expected to be from a digital set, or as could as it can be as on my KV-32XBR100? (Analog heaven

bob
post #747 of 8178 Old 08-02-2004, 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tigerriot
I bought an XBR910 last year and I have no doubt there are more problems with these XBR960s. I don't a thread like this one filled with people complaining about the XBR910. Does anyone else?

I had a 910 with problems, so I can't say there are more problems on 960.

Not all my issues are resolved so I reserve the right to change my mind
post #748 of 8178 Old 08-02-2004, 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by snclawson
One update about my 960 and audio problems with a DVI-HDMI cable: it seems that the problem is the cable, not the set.

On a lark, I decided to pick up a Monster Cable DVI-HDMI cable from BestBuy and see if it also had the same problem. I hooked it up and it works perfectly. It takes a second or so after hooking it up for the audio to come though, but it does every time. I swapped it out for the old cable and sure enough, the same problem... There must be some sort of handshaking that the cable needs to do with the HDMI port to tell it that there's no audio? Really strange.

UGH.....they are scheduled to replace my set at 8am in the morning - long before I can get a new cable.

The difference is, you can get yours to work wiggling the cable - I can't on mine....but its still to strange of a coincidence.

I think I am going to hold off on taking the replacement set and try a new cable.

I do think most of the 910s and 960s have geometry problems.

Unlike others on this thread, knowing this and knowing the set, if I can replace the cable and get that working, I will let them try and eliminate the geometry problems, even sending the set to their pros in Miami if need be - as I am about convinced thats the only way its really going to get the TLC to set it right - especially if it involves moving the magnets. I just don't think they burn them in enough and take the time in the sony plant in San Diego where they assemble these things.

I dont care if I am without it a week if thats what it takes for the best alignment that can be done.
post #749 of 8178 Old 08-03-2004, 09:44 AM

My 960 arrived last Saturday. It worked perfectly. The picture is beautiful. The problem I am having is with Time Warner Cable. Most of the time the HD and premium chanels have garbage on the screen. Anyone having problems with their cable company?
post #750 of 8178 Old 08-03-2004, 04:51 PM

got mine too.

its pretty nice. i have a slight bowing in the lower right and thats all i can discern until the avia disk gets here.

vivid is pretty bright, the tuner seems pretty good in that it picked up a lot of stations that ive never received before. waiting on voom and the ups guy.

sound not bad either.

the shipper nvcc delivered the set and box in pristine condition, not a mark on the entire box. even the pointy corners were still pointy. i have no idea how they managed that.

when i commented on the fast setup the guy told me "ive been doing this for a while"

set gave a "boing" noise when it turns on, normal, takes about 10-15 secs to turn on.

this set looks like a keeper so far, then again i have to get the calibration started before i know for sure. local digital looks sweeeeet.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page