post #7501 of 8178 Old 10-08-2011, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440gtx View Post

After years of great viewing I am selling my 960. It works perfect and is in very good condition. Its time to update my electronics. Asking 300 with matching stand. Albany NY

Why update your electronics? Newer doesn't always mean better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7502 of 8178 Old 10-14-2011, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering if anyone has had to repair or replace the hdmi input on the back of this TV. I ask because I noticed that my hdmi port is broken inside. This really puts a stop to using the TV as a HTPC monitor.

I'd like to fix this if I could without too much disassembly, but I don't really want to get into it if it involves soldering and possibly screwing something else up. Everything else works fine.
post #7503 of 8178 Old 10-18-2011, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I can't believe I'm about to post this going on 2012.. but I've begun my hunt for another 34XBR960. It's amazing how many panels I've had and enjoyed only to go full circle right back to the little 34" that could.

I had many including a Samsung 46A950 locally dimmed LCD, Samsung 63C8000 plasma, Panasonic 58VT25 plasma, tried out the VT30, LG 55LX9500, Pioneer 4270HD, Pioneer 5020FD, and even tried the GOD ALMIGHTY 500m Kuro which everyone claims is the king of the tv mountain.

After all that it is my opinion that you guys with your 960's still have the best picture quality bar none. I'll admit that my last XBR960 went out due to a bad power supply (at least that's what I think it was) but today's display have too many unsorted issues that I know firsthand (and we pay alot for them too).

There's fluctuating brightness, floating blacks, rising blacks, crushing blacks, halos, blooming, clouding, flashlights, input lag, burn-in, average-poor blacks, buzzing, color problems, and I can go on and on enough to make my head spin. My have we gone backwards. I haven't seen a picture to look remotely as good as the 960 I had years ago. The emphasis now is bigger is better, 3D, frame interpolation, and gizmos and gadgets. I could give a flying **** if my tv has youtube, pandora, skype, or some child alarm indicator on it. I think these companies have put so much **** in it that they forgot what their selling... a television.

Call me crazy but I've just about lost all desire for another flat panel. OLED could be compelling, but I won't have my hopes up until I see it. About the Kuros.. yeah there nice but for as much as you spend I would expect nothing short of pure blacks in a dark room. They can't compare to a 960. They just can't. Not only this but the 960 has a more natural picture with depth to it. It's amazing to hear so many say they wouldn't pay more than $200 for something that runs circles around anything on the market today. Almost dumbfounding.

I pulled my 34XBR960 that was in my closet for years to see what it could do. I didn't realize that I had a different model than my first one, because I could tell right away something was different. The picture looks a little duller on this one than my first. Dark, dull, and not as sharp. The first one I have was extremely crisp, bright (accurate not overdone), as well as having deep blacks. The one I had before was the "N" model. It didn't have a coating on it and I swear everything about it was sharper with more punch. Now I don't mind a dark picture because I'm used to using D-Nice's settings and I like accuracy since I do all my viewing in a pitch black room. But even then this one's lacking. I really wish I had my old one back.

Sooo now I hunt for a 34XBR960N and hope I can find a good one that's well kept. If someone knows of one, or that has one for sell in North Carolina, by all means let me know. I'd pay more than your neighbor would lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7504 of 8178 Old 10-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

I forgot to mention but I noticed something else with my 960 that I didn't catch before. It has floating blacks. I notice the black bars on the top and bottom tend to light up with bright objects on screen. This is the exact issue I had with my Panasonic VT25. Take an all black image and put a white dot in the middle and all of a sudden the bars glow a little. It's kinda distracing. My Kuro never did this. From what I remember my 34XBR960N never did this either. It had stable blacks that stayed black. So I ask is this just because my tv has alot of age and usage (I bought it used) or did they really have this problem that I never knew since I got used to the Kuro?

Also I'd like to hear honest opinions about the 34XBR970. I never considered this when they were new since obviously it's lacking the super fine pitch. But I remember someone saying they were in fact brighter than the 960's and almost as sharp (or sharper) depending on content displayed. I watch a good mixture of SD and HD. I found one in my area with a purchase date of 12/2009 which is a miracle really. So assuming it's works like it should.. what's it lacking compared to the 960? What's the real world difference in picture quality? I can't imagine the 960 being much sharper due to the size.. but do I know? I keep mentioning sharp because that's what I'm most attracted to the 960, along with black hole blacks. My first 960 had a natural sharpness to it that I haven't seen replicated (other than pc crt monitors). LCDs tend to be overly sharp and plasma seems to be soft. CRT (at least the 960) has the right amount of sharpness. If the 970 lacks that razor sharpness of the 960 then I'd think twice. Will use it for DVDs, Blu-rays, and Xbox 360 and I don't want to take a hit with sharpness since I like gaming up close.

Thanks in advance for you feedback.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7505 of 8178 Old 10-19-2011, 09:58 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post

I can't believe I'm about to post this going on 2012.. but I've begun my hunt for another 34XBR960. It's amazing how many panels I've had and enjoyed only to go full circle right back to the little 34" that could.

I had many including a Samsung 46A950 locally dimmed LCD, Samsung 63C8000 plasma, Panasonic 58VT25 plasma, tried out the VT30, LG 55LX9500, Pioneer 4270HD, Pioneer 5020FD, and even tried the GOD ALMIGHTY 500m Kuro which everyone claims is the king of the tv mountain.

After all that it is my opinion that you guys with your 960's still have the best picture quality bar none. I'll admit that my last XBR960 went out due to a bad power supply (at least that's what I think it was) but today's display have too many unsorted issues that I know firsthand (and we pay alot for them too).

There's fluctuating brightness, floating blacks, rising blacks, crushing blacks, halos, blooming, clouding, flashlights, input lag, burn-in, average-poor blacks, buzzing, color problems, and I can go on and on enough to make my head spin. My have we gone backwards. I haven't seen a picture to look remotely as good as the 960 I had years ago. The emphasis now is bigger is better, 3D, frame interpolation, and gizmos and gadgets. I could give a flying **** if my tv has youtube, pandora, skype, or some child alarm indicator on it. I think these companies have put so much **** in it that they forgot what their selling... a television.

Call me crazy but I've just about lost all desire for another flat panel. OLED could be compelling, but I won't have my hopes up until I see it. About the Kuros.. yeah there nice but for as much as you spend I would expect nothing short of pure blacks in a dark room. They can't compare to a 960. They just can't. Not only this but the 960 has a more natural picture with depth to it. It's amazing to hear so many say they wouldn't pay more than $200 for something that runs circles around anything on the market today. Almost dumbfounding.

I pulled my 34XBR960 that was in my closet for years to see what it could do. I didn't realize that I had a different model than my first one, because I could tell right away something was different. The picture looks a little duller on this one than my first. Dark, dull, and not as sharp. The first one I have was extremely crisp, bright (accurate not overdone), as well as having deep blacks. The one I had before was the "N" model. It didn't have a coating on it and I swear everything about it was sharper with more punch. Now I don't mind a dark picture because I'm used to using D-Nice's settings and I like accuracy since I do all my viewing in a pitch black room. But even then this one's lacking. I really wish I had my old one back.

Sooo now I hunt for a 34XBR960N and hope I can find a good one that's well kept. If someone knows of one, or that has one for sell in North Carolina, by all means let me know. I'd pay more than your neighbor would lol.

Have you looked at an XBR8? I am very happy with mine. (Still have a 960 and two other HD LCD TV's.)

99.5% Dark Matter
post #7506 of 8178 Old 10-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennui View Post

Have you looked at an XBR8? I am very happy with mine. (Still have a 960 and two other HD LCD TV's.)

This is probably the only LCD I would consider. I had the 46A950 and it was superb. I've only seen the XBR8 a couple years ago at Magnolia and it did look very good. If wasn't for the price I would have picked it up.

I'm still mainly interested in a Sony tube and would like to know if all the XBRs suffered from floating blacks or was it just my aging set?

post #7507 of 8178 Old 10-19-2011, 09:14 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I agree with you. all these modern sets are quite flawed........but not even good old CRT is without it's flaws. the puny screens alone are a major flawed it-self, but I find it sad that the blacks on my VT25 TV are not as good as my HD-CRT, and I swear I still see motion blur on plasma and I still see Phosphor lag.

I just bought the VT25 and I'm disappointed in it, I'm sure the VT30 is only a small improvement over that, then again I'm not impressed easily as it is, but I'm still disappointed I dropped X amount on this Plasma to just be disappointed and I'm stuck with it.......Sign.

John.
post #7508 of 8178 Old 10-20-2011, 02:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 44
IME, one will not find a better CRT than the 960/960N.
post #7509 of 8178 Old 10-22-2011, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Path,

You are not crazy at all. We will never part with our 960 for a larger screen whether it be Plasma, LCD or DLP - even with the blotches caused by the anti-glare coating that has come off over the year (fortunately not seen when the lights behind us are off). The picture is still too vivid and lifelike to give up.

I believe the consumer does not realize they have given up something in picture quality in exchange for bigger screens, slimmer cabinets or both. For most, it was not even out of choice since the industry rapidly phased out CRT during the HD boom. Also, too many were comparing their old analog standard definition CRTs to high definition flat screens unaware they were not making a comparison between technologies but rather one between lower and higher resolution. I doubt most even realized high definition could be housed on tube sets and thought HD was exclusive to flat screen technology.

Yes, large size is great and the pictures on those new sets (actually, there is nothing new anymore about Plasma, LCD or DLP) are indeed nice, but they still don't compare to that of a good CRT. That kind of puts all of us at a disadvantage when the need for a new set arrives for we know we are going down a step. For all those others, ignorance is indeed bliss.
post #7510 of 8178 Old 10-23-2011, 04:31 PM

I'm looking to sell my 34XBR960N. I'm located near Seattle if anyone wants to contact me directly and arrange a pick-up. I love the TV, it's in beautiful condition, original remote. We're moving and since they price the move per/pound, I can't justify taking it with us.
post #7511 of 8178 Old 10-30-2011, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

You can remove the screen coating but it's a bitch of job. I know exactly what you're talking about, as I removed mine and it made a huge difference (brighter, sharper picture with more depth, etc.).

The coating is not really a coating but a big plastic sheet glued to the screen.
post #7512 of 8178 Old 10-30-2011, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Also FYI, the 34XS955 has the exact same picture tube (Super Fine Pitch) as the XBR 960 without the screen coating. It seems many don't know this or think the 960 is better but it isn't (at least the picture quality).
post #7513 of 8178 Old 10-30-2011, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post

Also FYI, the 34XS955 has the exact same picture tube (Super Fine Pitch) as the XBR 960 without the screen coating. It seems many don't know this or think the 960 is better but it isn't (at least the picture quality).

There were 2 SFP tubes, the XBR960 and the 910. The 960's tube was a clear improvement, and the 955 uses the 910's tube.

I have both the 910 and the 960 (one upstairs one downstairs, imagine hauling it upstairs...) and the 960 is still the best tube TV ever built and side by side beats the 910.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #7514 of 8178 Old 10-31-2011, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post

You can remove the screen coating but it's a bitch of job. I know exactly what you're talking about, as I removed mine and it made a huge difference (brighter, sharper picture with more depth, etc.).

The coating is not really a coating but a big plastic sheet glued to the screen.

Hi,

Please advise me how you removed that coating since my screen has blotches that although are not seen with the lights low are upsetting never the less. But I also notice in the small areas when lights are shining on the screen the picture on small areas where the coating has rubbed off appears awfully bright compared to the surrounding area. Is that just an illusion or were both user and service adjustments then needed to be made?

Also, I can one ruin the screen if the job is not done properly or is it a matter of just not giving up once begun?
post #7515 of 8178 Old 11-15-2011, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I did post a separate topic of this for those who won't follow this enormous thread, but hopefully you guys won't mind if I note this here for anyone interested:

I'm selling my ISF-calibrated 34XBR960 in great condition and perfect working order in the San Francisco Bay Area. Currently selling as part of a home theater package, but would be willing to sell the TV separately to someone on AVS Forum who might have a greater appreciation for the stunning PQ of this display.

Here's the ad, but contact me if you're interested in just the TV. Local pickup only, of course, I'm not shipping this thing

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ele/2703677001.html

-Robert

post #7516 of 8178 Old 11-15-2011, 07:44 PM

"The coating removal solution was, believe it or not, Steel Wool Grade #0000. This stuff worked like a charm and did not leave a single scratch. I can now fully enjoy one of the finest TVs ever made in the Super-Fine Pitch 34XBR960 once again."

This quote is taken from this very forum.

I took this advice and tried the steel wool out on my super fine pitch tube. It worked like a charm.
post #7517 of 8178 Old 11-16-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangphin View Post

"The coating removal solution was, believe it or not, Steel Wool Grade #0000. This stuff worked like a charm and did not leave a single scratch. I can now fully enjoy one of the finest TVs ever made in the Super-Fine Pitch 34XBR960 once again."

This quote is taken from this very forum.

I took this advice and tried the steel wool out on my super fine pitch tube. It worked like a charm.

If you wouldn't mind, please post some pictures of your tv. I took this advice and tried it on my crt cpu monitor and scratched it pretty bad. I've been scared to attempt to try it on my set.
post #7518 of 8178 Old 11-17-2011, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool-aid23 View Post

If you wouldn't mind, please post some pictures of your tv. I took this advice and tried it on my crt cpu monitor and scratched it pretty bad. I've been scared to attempt to try it on my set.

I would be scared to attempt it myself. Was it just simply using the soap pad or should the screen first be washed down with warm water or be prepared in another way before use? Actually, any advice on what could have caused the blotches to begin with so we can actually repeat our "mistakes"?

At first I suspected it was caused by using "Glass Plus" and/or an abrasive type rag, however more blotches appeared even with a soft cotton rag and cold water. Maybe after ten more years all the blotches would be gone by default.
post #7519 of 8178 Old 11-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

I would also like to know if there is any way besides steel wool to remove the anti-glare coating. I'm not brave enough to do that.. unless I have to. There has to be some other trick.

post #7520 of 8178 Old 11-29-2011, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Dubin View Post

I have the non-N model and it was produced in May, 2005. You can find the manufacturing date on the back by the serial numbers. The only difference between the two models is that the N models have the anti-glare coating inside the tube instead on the front - the problem with that is that the coating could come off a bit in areas just from ordinary cleaning. Actually doesn't cause any picture distortion and is not noticable with the lights low.

So are you telling me that the N models still have an anti-glare coating? Call me crazy but I didn't know they had it inside or out of the tube. If this is true.. then I would assume a 34XBR960 with the coating removed should have a punchier picture than an N model (since it has some form of coating).

This doesn't make sense... help me out. I have the non-N model and am debating now to sell it and find an N model (eventually) or to remove the coating myself.

post #7521 of 8178 Old 11-30-2011, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So are you telling me that the N models still have an anti-glare coating? Call me crazy but I didn't know they had it inside or out of the tube. If this is true.. then I would assume a 34XBR960 with the coating removed should have a punchier picture than an N model (since it has some form of coating).

This doesn't make sense... help me out. I have the non-N model and am debating now to sell it and find an N model (eventually) or to remove the coating myself.

I would stick with the N model, not only because the coating coming off is something you would not have to worry about but also because I don't know how vital the anti-glare coating is regarding the deep black level and high range of contrast which helps create it's magnificent picture. Some who removed it noted they found the picture a slightly bit brighter and I don't know if the increased brightness can be compensated via re-calibration.

Which does create a dilemma for us with blotches. Would we be better off keeping the coating on than having no anti-glare coating at all? It's not that can't we can't compensate for the blotches by simply keeping the lamps opposite the set off which then eliminates all notice of them since there is no glare to deal with. Those blotches are only somewhat noticeable with the room full of bright sunlight (which we don't like anyway) -- in fact, it only looks real bad when the set is off and though that bugs me the most, it's really the least important thing to be concerned with.
post #7522 of 8178 Old 11-30-2011, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Well here's the thing Joseph...

The 34XBR960 I found on Craigslist is literally 5 miles from my house. I went to look at last night and he had removed the anti-glare coating! I didn't know this until he told me. He said as they were cleaning it over time the coating started to peel so he decided to go ahead and take it off.

He used steel wool to do so and it looks like it all came off which is impressive. However I can see a small blotch (if that's what you call it) in the bottom corner. It looks like black residue. It's in 2 corners and doesn't seem to effect PQ (I think it wasn't even in the picture zone). The only downside was slight scratches. I didn't even notice them until he pointed them out. He was honest so he got the flashlight and showed me some faint scratches. I don't know if this effects viewing or not but I didn't seem to notice? They were tiny, faint scratches up to 8 inches. You had to get within a couple ft. to see them.

I've always wanted to take the stupid coating off my tv because I FREAKIN' LOVE the added contrast. The N model is like night and day to mine now. As a bonus he told me he would help me deliver to my house, and even onto my stand. That's a huge one for me... all for $100.

I'm thinking I should jump on this and at the very least I would have a backup XBR960. What do you think?

post #7523 of 8178 Old 12-01-2011, 09:25 AM

I have decided to turn to the dark side.

Selling our 34xbr960 with its "jan-u-wine" Sony TV stand, remote/manual and replacing it with, sinner repent!, a Panasonic 55 plasma.

So, if you are (or know someone) in the San Francisco Bay Area (I'm in Dublin) who wants (needs) this set up, please contact me.

As an added bonus, I have a utility trailer and can help transport this 200lb wonder. But plan on bringing help because my bad back prevents me from doing heavy lifting. Thanks
post #7524 of 8178 Old 12-01-2011, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well here's the thing Joseph...

The 34XBR960 I found on Craigslist is literally 5 miles from my house. I went to look at last night and he had removed the anti-glare coating! I didn't know this until he told me. He said as they were cleaning it over time the coating started to peel so he decided to go ahead and take it off.

He used steel wool to do so and it looks like it all came off which is impressive. However I can see a small blotch (if that's what you call it) in the bottom corner. It looks like black residue. It's in 2 corners and doesn't seem to effect PQ (I think it wasn't even in the picture zone). The only downside was slight scratches. I didn't even notice them until he pointed them out. He was honest so he got the flashlight and showed me some faint scratches. I don't know if this effects viewing or not but I didn't seem to notice? They were tiny, faint scratches up to 8 inches. You had to get within a couple ft. to see them.

I've always wanted to take the stupid coating off my tv because I FREAKIN' LOVE the added contrast. The N model is like night and day to mine now. As a bonus he told me he would help me deliver to my house, and even onto my stand. That's a huge one for me... all for $100.

I'm thinking I should jump on this and at the very least I would have a backup XBR960. What do you think?

I don't know if picture quality is better without the coating or that it just appears more vivid and/or brighter but not really natural (don't forget that many are impressed when there is too much color, brightness, etc. when in reality it is really artificial). If the scratches don't bother you, then that's not an issue.

If it's a matter of picture quality, I have no idea. Sorry I could not give you more advice but if it was up to me, I wish I had the N model since anti-glare coating is still anti-glare coating, no matter where it's placed - and I would then have avoided those blotches which one can only see with the set off or in a brightly lit environment.

Good luck with your decision - if you got a place for a second unit then the $100 is not a bad investment and you can decide which you prefer in your main home theater system.
post #7525 of 8178 Old 12-01-2011, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Anyone else have this issue?

I ended up giving my 34XBR960 to my folks. A month or so ago the set stopped powering on and the red light was blinking. A few weeks passed and the set actually turned on again but there was a problem: apparently the L/R speaker amplifier blew and only the subwoofer is operating...there is no sound otherwise from the speakers. Is there an easy fix or is it an expensive technician-only job? For now it's linked to a small stereo via analog output. I had to downgrade the BD player from HDMI to component to get sound to the stereo.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #7526 of 8178 Old 12-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Well I picked it up! Now I have two 34XBR960s and can say with confidence this one is better than the one I've been using. He really did a good job removing the coating. The reason it has minor scratches is because he said the coating was baked on.. opposed to a film. He somehow managed to take it off with steel wool and hours later. Kinda scary, but really only a few minor scratches that can't be seen past 2-3 ft.

It's night and day from my old set. The contrast is better, and the sharpness is rediculous. I can only describe it as taking off a pair of dark sunglasses. I can see clearly now. So to say I'm tickled pink is an understatement. Oh and I totally agree with you Joseph when you talk about artificial brightness and sharpness attracting consumers. I'm not one of them! I just happen to think the anti-glare coating on the XBR960 was a mistake and too aggressive. I have about 60-70% improvement in PQ with my new set.

However.. I'd like to hear what you guys are using for your picture settings. I'll be using it for everything.. Xbox 360, PS3, Blu-ray, DVD, and less-than-480p (512x384) stuff. My current settings are:

Mode - Pro
Pic - 31
Bri - 31
Color - 31
Hue - 0
Sharp - Min ???
Col Temp - Warm
ClearVM - Low-High ???
Axis - Monitor

This is pretty much the default settings in Pro mode. The only thing I did was back down the sharpness, set Color Temp to Warm, and Color Axis to Monitor. I like the colors but it seems a little dark. In fact I know it's dark because everyone has pitch black hair, no detail. How far do you guys suggest I crank up the Picture/Brightness? Is there service menu tweaks to increase brightness, or improve the picture? Also what do you keep your Sharpness at? I wish I could remember what I did with my original XBR but I can't. I remember going into the service menu and adjusting something that made everything SHARPER and overall solid. Maybe you guys know the ultimate tweak. I know there's a forum dedicated to service menu tweaks but it would be nice to hear what ppl have done here.

Finally (sorry for so many question)... What resolution should I set my players n' consoles at? My Dune Player has all resolutions and if I'm not mistaken this tv outputs 1080i regardless yes? So does this mean I need to set my Dune to 1080i and forget it? Or do I need to set it according to the source currently playing? Like DVDs need 480p, Blu-ray 1080i, 720p shows at 720p or 1080i? 512x384 SD shows at 480i or 480p? Xbox 360 set to 720p or 1080i? The games I play on 360 are mostly 720p (1280x720) so I figure if I set the 360 to 720p it's a match for my games and the tv will upscale. Is this better or should I change the settings in Xbox to 1080i? I assume same with PS3.

Wow all these questions. But really you guys (esp Joseph) have been helpful. I think I'd be lost without you guys. Help!

Thanks guys!!

post #7527 of 8178 Old 12-02-2011, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Path,

Glad you're happy with your second set. Since each set is different I suggest simply getting a bluray set-up disc to get the picture settings correct. I do notice your contrast and brightness settings are the same and usually the brightness is lower.
post #7528 of 8178 Old 12-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

I was reading through the thread and found something interesting concerning older video game consoles (NES, SNES) and this tv. Someone mentioned to find an entry in the service menu called "TRAP" and change the value to 1. Supposedly it makes the 240i games look better.

I'm curious does anyone know what this means and how it works? I'd love to use my XBR960 for older consoles but as you know this is an HDTV so it's not preferred. I'd like to know what this trick does before I pick up a 32" Sony 480i CRT. Even still.. would the XBR960 compare to something like a 32FS130 for old consoles? I'm thinking not, but what you think? I'd like to know because my neighbor has a 32FS130 (already checked) in perfect condition she would give me. But obviously if there was a way to make older games look better on what I have then I wouldn't need it.

post #7529 of 8178 Old 12-26-2011, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
FYI, I've separated my KD-34XBR960 from the home theater package I was selling it with on craigslist, and am now offering the set on its own for $450 to local buyers in the Bay Area. Set is in perfect condition, works great, comes with original accessories, and has been ISF-calibrated.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ele/2769630664.html

Buyers local to SF only, no shipping.

post #7530 of 8178 Old 01-02-2012, 01:39 PM

Uh oh. I fixed my 7 led blinking / IC problem about a year ago, and now the 960 is not powering up. The standby led flashes 20 times like its trying to start, but nothing ever comes up on the screen. Crap, I had plans to keep the 960 and buy a projector to project above the 960 and hopefully have the best of both worlds. If the 960 stays off, looks like ill be tossing her and just getting a LCD.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page