6Likes

post #8131 of 8179 Old 03-26-2014, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post

I'm confused, why would the TV play HD television channels fine now, after playing a BluRay? What changed? Rather, what did you do differently?

I don't know, I switched between the inputs. Maybe it was a source issue. Maybe it was just the vivid mode vs. the pro mode. I really wnat to get this TV callibrated so it can show its full potential. I know it won't have the color rendition or depth of the Loewe, but if I can get it close enough, I would be fairly happy until I get another Aconda or Articos or something smile.gif I'm starting to enjoy the XBR960!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8132 of 8179 Old 04-05-2014, 09:57 PM

Liked: 12
Just wanted to say... the great XBR960 has survived yet another move! and did not take any causalities, human or otherwise biggrin.gifsmile.gif
bbbobbb and gary777 like this.
post #8133 of 8179 Old 04-06-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky11 View Post

Just wanted to say... the great XBR960 has survived yet another move! and did not take any causalities, human or otherwise biggrin.gifsmile.gif

Abdominal hernias may take a little while to become evident. eek.gifbiggrin.gif
bbbobbb likes this.

post #8134 of 8179 Old 04-14-2014, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Laughing...smile.gif
post #8135 of 8179 Old 05-10-2014, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I love my TV but it stop working last night. It does 20 continuous blinks and never turns on. I guess the IK video path is defective. Can this be fixed and if so how? I have a second 960 that has a different issue I could use for parts. Any thoughts?
post #8136 of 8179 Old 05-27-2014, 04:29 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9604me View Post

Just recently started looking for a 960N...I have a 970 that I bought new back when they(960's,970's) were last sold.  Of course I wanted the 960, but none were available at the time, all crt's were disappearing from stores, so i settled for the 970....I've used it pretty much EVERY day for prolly ~9 yrs now.  I love it, and am afraid of it dying....More so since I got into the service menu and started ignorantly messing around...BUT I STILL WANT A 960 DAMMIT!  Of course, can't find any local.  Found one one CL that was like a five hour drive...Guy had it(960N in properly working order) in the for sale section for $40.  I contacted him, then the #%$@ refuses to sell it to me and says he decided to have E-cycling pick it up.  Just recently found one much closer(~3hr drive one way) but it is not the "N" model.
  Questions for the experts...
  #1:  Is there ANY difference between the N and non models besides the film on the screen on the nons?
  #2  Do Comcrap or other cable companies still offer cable card service?  I'd love to use this as a tv, and not a "monitor" like you have to with a settop box.
  #3  If I ever get in the presence of one for sale, what do I easily check to ~determine functional condition?  Make sure still a good pic at reasonable brightness/picture settings?  (Like make sure brightness doesn't have to be jacked up for a reasonable picture, etc.)

Any help is appreciated, I came across this site/thread whilst researching my renewing interest in the ...960.

I'm sill looking for one close enough I can go get it...No luck. Obviously nothing on Amazone, only the same one for months on flEabay in Mississippi frown.gif CL has been no help, and I don't see any convient optioin to search by distance radius anymore. Can anyone help? Where can I go to look for one online? Some type of specialy classified site?

Desperately seeking in Cental PA
post #8137 of 8179 Old 06-03-2014, 06:03 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WignersFriend View Post

I'm sill looking for one close enough I can go get it...No luck. Obviously nothing on Amazone, only the same one for months on flEabay in Mississippi frown.gif CL has been no help, and I don't see any convient optioin to search by distance radius anymore. Can anyone help? Where can I go to look for one online? Some type of specialy classified site?

Desperately seeking in Cental PA

If you have any family in California you should visit them. There is usually 1 or 2 960's for sale, on Craigslist.
post #8138 of 8179 Old 06-03-2014, 06:07 PM

I have been looking on this forum for more info on the memory stick. Can I play movies ? I am not talking home made movies. My co worker told me to give him a usb or memory stick. He will transfer high quality movies on to the memory stick.
post #8139 of 8179 Old 06-20-2014, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a Sony KD-34XRB960 that is still pretty much work perfect. However every week or two for a day the TV blacks out for just a few seconds, then when the picture and sound comes back on I see in the upper left Video 6 or 7 in my case, and in the lower left full for screen mode. some times the blink is so quick the picture and sound never go out but the Video 6 or 7 just pops up and the Full, for screen mode.

It does this even when all components are unplugged. Seems the audio and video just drop out for a second. I really like this tv and it'ds been a loooooong time since I have worked on a TV, I am talking pre HD and earlier.

Need some ideas as to what could be happening.

I can simulate the problem by unplugging the device I am using, plug it back in and there is the Vidio and Full on the screen. Just like when I first power it up. I am not losing power though, at least not in the main power supply.

Comments Welcome..

Last edited by gary777; 06-20-2014 at 05:58 PM.
post #8140 of 8179 Old 06-23-2014, 10:49 AM

How many times does your red led blink from power on until you get sound and picture. Mine blinks 11 times, is this the norm?
Went to "self diagnosis" and there are no errors, everything shows 0
post #8141 of 8179 Old 06-23-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Are you sure you're not getting power line glitches? I once had less than a second glitches that impacted all sorts of my electronics in strange ways. I could tell by the flickering of a lamp. Neighbors started having problems too so I called the power company. First guy said it was normal and I said hogwash. The next guy found the onground transformer had loose connections...

On the day it acts up try plugging in an incandescent lamp into the same outlet or surge protector as the TV (surge protector could be acting up too).

post #8142 of 8179 Old 06-23-2014, 02:02 PM

Thanks Floyd, I will give it a try the next time it acts up. I May hook up an APC to the TV like the one I have on my computer, got me thinking a voltage spike could be affecting the power supply too....

Still need to know what the proper amount of blinks I should be seeing on my 960
post #8143 of 8179 Old 06-24-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary777 View Post
How many times does your red led blink from power on until you get sound and picture. Mine blinks 11 times, is this the norm?
Went to "self diagnosis" and there are no errors, everything shows 0
Bonus refresh your post and you're welcome on the other one.

You might also ask on this thread:

You have a Sony that won't power on and the standby light blinks... Help and suggesti

There's also other 960 threads and Sony standby light blink threads if you feel up to the challenge of trying out this new version of web page's search engine.

post #8144 of 8179 Old 06-24-2014, 03:54 PM

Thanks, just posted over on the link you posted..Not sure what you mean "Bonus refresh your post and you're welcome on the other one"
post #8145 of 8179 Old 06-24-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

"Bonus refresh your post" was my quoting it for redisplay, and I was giving you a 'you're welcome' for your "Thanks Floyd."

Hey my Sony 20" blinks a bunch of times on power-up, something like 20, then a small break and a few blinks for good measure as the video input display comes up.

post #8146 of 8179 Old 06-24-2014, 06:28 PM

OK, got it. I bought a small 22" Sammy for the bedroom to replace my 20" 20 year old Sony Trinitron. It still works but I was running out of room on top of my dresser where my two DVR's & TV are located.

Oh yeah, I ordered a new battery for my APC UPS I was using for my desktop computer, battery went out on it so I just ordered a whole new UPS. I put the old UPS in storage. Glad I kept it, with a little looking I found a replacement battery for $17.61 shipped.

I think you may be right about a voltage drop or spike, Will find out next week.

Thanks for the bonus...
post #8147 of 8179 Old 06-26-2014, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a KD-34XBR960 that I'm looking to get rid of. I got it on Craigslist about a year and a half ago. It comes with the stand. It's not in the greatest shape, 2 corners of the screen have that weird color-distortion thing going on (not sure what causes that or if it's even fixable, please comment if you know). The outer body has a few dings, but nothing too bad. Other than the corners I mentioned, I've not had any problems with it.

I'm pretty sure I've seen people exchange these on here before, so I figured I'd offer it up to you guys before throwing it on Craigslist. I'm in SW FL and you would need to bring somebody to help move it. It's on the first floor, no stairs, obstacle-free path to the front door.

Is it best to just post this here, or should I make a separate thread as well? Thank you.

Last edited by ArmorOfGod7; 06-26-2014 at 11:10 AM.
post #8148 of 8179 Old 06-26-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

As is often the case it's hard to tell whether it's free or some price (I've seen some where it 'sounds' free then a price comes out when someone replies). At least you supplied a geographic region.

Fine and probably good to post here IMO. Here's a link to the AVS classifieds for CRTs:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/256-direct-view-crt/

post #8149 of 8179 Old 06-26-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post
As is often the case it's hard to tell whether it's free or some price (I've seen some where it 'sounds' free then a price comes out when someone replies). At least you supplied a geographic region.

Fine and probably good to post here IMO. Here's a link to the AVS classifieds for CRTs:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/256-direct-view-crt/
Sorry, I'm not a regular around here, didn't know there was a classifieds forum. I'll post it there. I'm not sure about a price yet, it mostly depends on whether or not that coloring issue in the 2 corners is fixable. I was hoping to get some feedback on that. I can post a picture if needed, I guess I figured it was a common issue and everybody would know what I was talking about.
post #8150 of 8179 Old 06-27-2014, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
If the only problem is discoloration, then yes that's fixable. The screen needs to be degaussed. Multiple off-on states should do this, but if it remains, a manual degaussing with a degauss wand will fix the problem.
post #8151 of 8179 Old 06-27-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
If the only problem is discoloration, then yes that's fixable. The screen needs to be degaussed. Multiple off-on states should do this, but if it remains, a manual degaussing with a degauss wand will fix the problem.
Thanks for the info! I have no interest in fixing it myself, I'm just looking to get rid of it as soon as possible to make room for a new TV. What would be a fair price to ask?
post #8152 of 8179 Old 06-28-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmorOfGod7 View Post
Thanks for the info! I have no interest in fixing it myself, I'm just looking to get rid of it as soon as possible to make room for a new TV. What would be a fair price to ask?
Hi AOG7, if you give LS's suggestion a try and it clears up the screen, you might be able to get $100-$200 for it from a gamer. Make sure you follow LS's instructions, I would power it on and off about 10-15 times. The 960 will degauss every time you turn them on.

If that does not work, I would put free TV on craigslist. Hard enough to sell these 190 pound monsters as it is, but one that has problems, well...

Last edited by gary777; 06-28-2014 at 05:09 PM.
post #8153 of 8179 Old 06-28-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Just a heads up...

I have put my own XBR960 (calibrated in May 2013 by D-Nice, after he calibrated my new Panny 65VT50 in April 2013) up for sale in the classifieds.

I'm planning to move from LA to Chicago after the summer, and will not be bringing the XBR960 with me. So, if you live in the LA area or relatively nearby on the West Coast and you're interested in acquiring a PERFECT 960, here's your opportunity.

PM me for more info or if you have questions.
post #8154 of 8179 Old 06-29-2014, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
I remember somebody claiming that leaving it unplugged for a while before plugging it directly into the wall socket and turning it back on would be more effective but I can't remember their reasoning.

If not that, it's possible convergence is off which can be altered in the service menu.

Last edited by homerging; 06-29-2014 at 09:31 AM.
post #8155 of 8179 Old 06-29-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Hi AOG7, if you give LS's suggestion a try and it clears up the screen, you might be able to get $100-$200 for it from a gamer. Make sure you follow LS's instructions, I would power it on and off about 10-15 times. The 960 will degauss every time you turn them on.

If that does not work, I would put free TV on craigslist. Hard enough to sell these 190 pound monsters as it is, but one that has problems, well...
Thank you. I'm getting varying results online of how exactly to degauss this thing. Do I just hit the power button, wait for it to turn on completely, turn it off, then turn it right back? Or do I need to wait a certain amount of time in between these steps? I also see people mentioning unplugging the AC adapter completely as opposed to just turning it off, is that actually necessary?
post #8156 of 8179 Old 06-29-2014, 04:25 PM

AOG7, you know the whomp sound you hear when you first turn on your 960 in the morning or whenever, that is the set doing an auto degauss. Actually to get the full whomp you may have to wait 15-30 minutes in between power on/off/on. You will know it is in auto when you hear that loud whomp noise. Experiment with the on off time. AFAIK there is no reason to unplug TV but it will not hurt anything if you choose to do so.

Page 119 of my manual mentions auto degauss. It just says it goes into auto degauss making a popping sound when ever you turn on your TV. No mention in the manual about unplugging.

Also I read elsewhere, if you have unshielded speakers very near your TV that could cause permanent damage to the CRT by showing false color in the upper left of the screen, I can not vouch for for this.

Last edited by gary777; 06-29-2014 at 04:36 PM. Reason: more info
post #8157 of 8179 Old 06-29-2014, 04:44 PM

Ok, I guess I need to experiment with how long in between power-offs to get it to actually make that whomp sound, because if I turn it right back on after turning it off it doesn't do it.

Is there something different about doing this 10-15 times in a short period of time, as opposed to maybe 10-15 times over a period of 10-15 days (once a day)? We usually just turn it on once a day, in the evening, so it makes that whomp sound each time.
post #8158 of 8179 Old 06-29-2014, 09:36 PM

The auto degauss tries to remove any leftover magnetic field left on the CRT. If you want a more detailed technical understanding, you should do a google on CRT degauss, there is a little more to it, but that's the general idea.

The reason for multiple degauss is, well look at it this way. If your car windshield is really really dirty, just one pass with a sponge and squeegee is not going to get it all. you need to go over it a few more times to get it really clean. The degauss process is sort of like that, with a screen heavily magnetized.

Try it every few hours for a day, if that does not do it then you can call a repair shop and have them come out and do a professional degauss, which is more aggressive, I am guessing it will not be cost productive to have this done. It may indeed not even be the problem. Of course all of that is for you to decide.

Last edited by gary777; 06-30-2014 at 09:27 AM.
post #8159 of 8179 Old 06-30-2014, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Also I read elsewhere, if you have unshielded speakers very near your TV that could cause permanent damage to the CRT by showing false color in the upper left of the screen, I can not vouch for for this.
Not just speakers but many devices that use electricity can distort the colour. I've seen a plasma television do that to a CRT from nearly a metre away.
post #8160 of 8179 Old 06-30-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Keep in mind the auto-degauss circuit needs time to cool off. Some TVs without thermal or timer protection will fry the circuit if you get crazy turning it on/off quickly; the ones that do have it you'll notice you won't hear the whomp sound right after the first try.

Now if yours is working (whomp sound?) and you haven't moved it then it should be sufficiently degaussed from normal usage. I have heard that it's better to plug it directly into an outlet for degaussing; I've personally never had an issue with using a surge protector though.

My Panny has a corner problem but it looks like it may have been dropped on that corner. I've never popped it open to see if a magnet broke off or maybe the degauss coil somehow slipped over the corner. For the time-being I've just stuck some old pieces of ferrite (or weak magnets) on the outside around the corner to improve the color; these pieces came from a scrapped CRT, the ones on the back of the tube for alignment.

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page