The Official Kd-34xbr960 Thread - Page 276 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #8251 of 8261 Old 05-10-2015, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So how does the 970 compare to the 960? What are the differences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8252 of 8261 Old 05-11-2015, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Brighter, lower-resolution image due to the lack of the super fine pitch CRT of the 960. Horizontal resolution (vertical lines) is the same as an SD Sony (we have both a 970 and an SD), but with 1080i scanning resolution (horizontal lines) vs. 480 for SD.

Flat panels are also known as "fixed pixel" displays compared with the "flying spot" of a CRT. To get a 16:9 aspect ratio, flat panels need 16/9 or 78% more pixels horizontally than vertically. A CRT's horizontal resolution is fixed by the phosphor mask. Sony Trinitrons have a vertical mask. The "super fine" pitch mask had higher resolution, but it also had more support structure, so less illuminating area. You got a higher resolution image, but a darker image as well.

I compared the two when I made my purchase, and went for the brighter screen.

Have fun,
Frank
post #8253 of 8261 Old 05-11-2015, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 52
According to this it sounds like you're stating some of that incorrectly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FD_Trinitron/WEGA

[but hey I'm no expert on this subject - lol]

Anyhow keep in mind that the 960s came with and without anti-glare film (960 and 960N, resp.). The film has a significant affect on illumination such that many folks have peeled the film off their 960s.

Note that the 970 is newer. Based on MSRP and lack of SFP tube I got the impression is was a last-ditch cost-reduction effort to compete with the onslaught of flat panels. But being newer it should have a few extra bells and whistles plus later generation electronics (ex: tuner).

post #8254 of 8261 Old 05-12-2015, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post
According to this it sounds like you're stating some of that incorrectly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FD_Trinitron/WEGA

[but hey I'm no expert on this subject - lol]

Anyhow keep in mind that the 960s came with and without anti-glare film (960 and 960N, resp.). The film has a significant affect on illumination such that many folks have peeled the film off their 960s.

Note that the 970 is newer. Based on MSRP and lack of SFP tube I got the impression is was a last-ditch cost-reduction effort to compete with the onslaught of flat panels. But being newer it should have a few extra bells and whistles plus later generation electronics (ex: tuner).
Hi Floyd,

Keep in mind some of us had part of the film peeled off involuntarily Though had to accept it, tried to watch the 960 with the lamps on toward the side as often as possible so there those spots were not seen.
post #8255 of 8261 Old 05-12-2015, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah would have been nice to have the choice on the film as not everyone desires such a bright pic. On the other hand someone did the work for you (assuming they did it properly). I know some have picked up these sets and the film is all scratched up.

Of course there's the mysterious warning about removing the film in the safety section of the manual...

post #8256 of 8261 Old 05-13-2015, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
According to this it sounds like you're stating some of that incorrectly:...
Not sure whose post you're refering to, but if the prior post, your link is exactly correct. I didn't look up the actual 1440x1080i and 858x1080i numbers, but I did state the SD set was same mask, 858x480i.
Quote:
Your expectations are dashed. The 960 has lots more features, it's the real "king of the hill." Cost cutting won, but made for a very good value nonetheless.

HAve fun,
Frank
post #8257 of 8261 Old 05-13-2015, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbov View Post
The 960 has lots more features, it's the real "king of the hill." Cost cutting won, but made for a very good value nonetheless.
Shucks, too bad a little newer tech didn't help in that regard unless the features the 970 does have were updated. Probably has a little better ATSC tuner though (later generation chipsets). Yeah they did seem a good value in 'at the time' dollars.

Having been looking for a 960 yet seeing all the problems with some power supply chips and/or soldering, me wonders if the 970 is better in that regard?

post #8258 of 8261 Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
There was a Sony stand made specifically for this TV and the other Sony models with the same form factor. Looks pretty cool as it matches up exactly with the contour of the sides, color, etc.

There was a member that found an eBay seller with a good substitute, the Sony stand for one of the big 4:3 models. Seems it could actually hold more weight then the 960 stand (BTW keep in mind the 960 weighs about 200 lbs. - with the lightness of flat panels beware the capacity of newer stands). That seller had more available and I think they were new. Another member replied to him with his own substitute. It was either several pages back on this thread, maybe another 960 thread or the 970 thread, or a thread he started up fresh; a search within the CRT forum is probably your best bet.
Is this the one? If so, then I must have a stand like that. Its perfect for gaming!

https://public.dm2301.livefilestore....drts=106333558
post #8259 of 8261 Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracamonte View Post
Is this the one? If so, then I must have a stand like that. Its perfect for gaming!

https://public.dm2301.livefilestore....drts=106333558
Nope...Read about it here:
What is the name of this CRT stand?
post #8260 of 8261 Old Today, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have a 34XBR960 I'm selling (wife doesn't want it around anymore). Does anyone have any thoughts on the market for this TV (ie, price, target audience, etc)? I'm not a gamer, but I know the low lag on CRT makes them something gamers look for. Not sure where to list. Thanks.
post #8261 of 8261 Old Today, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll buy it from you. Check your Private Messages.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page