The Official Kd-34xbr960 Thread - Page 277 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
post #8281 of 8301 Old 06-24-2015, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Geomagnetic correction circuitry built-in... My Panny has a user sub-menu for this too, maybe a fine tune, and it degausses the set when exiting this function.
Back in '93 I bought an RCA and it had a polarity switch on the back for this; the manual days.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8282 of 8301 Old 06-24-2015, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post
Geomagnetic correction circuitry built-in... My Panny has a user sub-menu for this too, maybe a fine tune, and it degausses the set when exiting this function.
Back in '93 I bought an RCA and it had a polarity switch on the back for this; the manual days.
Yes, and TV's as supposedly calibrated prior to leaving the factory. But just as anyone who has had one of these professionally calibrated (and had a professional like ChadB move the magnets as the manual adjustments can only do so much on a CRT), it might correct some of the problem, but does not fine tune it.
post #8283 of 8301 Old 06-25-2015, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

It's always worked for me as far as the compass position part of your discussion. Now overall geometry, yeah that's always a problem with CRT TVs, especially the bigger and/or wider ones.

post #8284 of 8301 Old 06-26-2015, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help for scratches

Unfortunately, as happy as I am to have this set in near mint condition. There was an accident in moving it and 1/3rd of the front glass has suffered deep scratches to the glass. The reason I was interested in this tv was the technology, but knowing Sony, they thought of everything so I am looking for the most cost effective way to repair the scratches if I can or whether there are other methods that will not cost a fortune. I am upset but still very happy to own the set. I was told that it takes a little longer now to warm up and I tested it briefly, perhaps I saw a tiny left hand corner distortion of the signal but it was on for only a short time. Please help.

Best and thanks:

Ian M. Gordon
CT Audio Society
post #8285 of 8301 Old 06-27-2015, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If the scratches are deep there is not much you can do without risk of making the situation worse. That said if the set has the anti glare coating and you are willing to remove if things don't work out you can try some polishing compound that you get in headlight restoration kits at an auto store. You could also try a super fine grit sandpaper. With either method you may wind up with splotches,
post #8286 of 8301 Old 06-27-2015, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

If you're lucky it's just the film. There's plenty of posts and maybe even a thread devoted to removing the film.
I recall reading something on trying to repair glass scratches long ago, seems the consensus was better to leave it alone as it did more damage than good (a thin line is better than a splotch). Maybe a filler.

post #8287 of 8301 Old 07-02-2015, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Hi guys and gals

NOTE: If you have already read my post in "You have a Sony that won't power on and the standby light blinks... Help and suggestions" thread, please disregard this post. Sorry, I did not realize that there is now a thread dedicated to these types of issues before I posted here. I will keep an eye on both threads, so either thread works for me.

I has been a sad day for me. After performing like a champion for almost a decade, my xbr 960 seems to finally kick the bucket. Even though, I moved on to Panasonic ZT60 plasma as my primary display 2 years ago, I am still fond of my xbr 960 and have many great memories watching movies and tv shows and playing video games on the xbr 960.

Here is the description of the problem. The tv tries to power itself on immediately after I plug it into power without me needing to press power button on the remote or the tv itself. Sometimes, I hear the normal degaussing sound and the normal click sound on the power up. Other times, it is just the same click sound without the degaussing sound.

After the tv tries to power up, the front red light blinks 6 times, pauses, blinks 7 times, pauses again, blinks 7 times again, and continues the cylcle of pausing and blinking 7 times indefinitely. Except for the flashing light, the tv looks dead otherwise. After the tv is plugged in into power, if I press the power button on the remote, I hear the click sound again, but nothing else is happening.

To fix the tv, I tried unplugging it from power for as long as several hours and then pluging it back into power. It tried this process multiple times. I also tried plugging the tv into power strip and directly into a wall power outlet. I even tried different power outlets. Nothing has worked.

From my Google search, I found that 6 blinking red lights seem to indicate Power Supply issue, and 7 blinking red lights seem to indicate Horizontal Deflection issue. Both issues seem to require part(s) replacement and service by a qualified technician. From my online research, it is around $200 - $300 for part(s) + labor to fix each issue.

As much as I like this tv, I am not willing to pay that much or go through trouble of ordering parts myself, opening up the tv, and messing with dangerous voltages to fix it.

I am also confused why I am getting both 6 blinking red lights (initially) and 7 blinking red lights (thereafter). Perhaps, the issue is not Power Supply or/and Horizontal Deflection, but something else is broken.

Is there anything else that I can try to fix the tv, or do I just have to replace it at this point?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by SwiftSweeper; 07-03-2015 at 12:54 AM.
post #8288 of 8301 Old 07-09-2015, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking for one of these guys. Anyone got one in good working order they no longer wabt? I'm in the savanna Georgia area.
post #8289 of 8301 Old 07-09-2015, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSweeper View Post
Hi guys and gals

NOTE: If you have already read my post in "You have a Sony that won't power on and the standby light blinks... Help and suggestions" thread, please disregard this post. Sorry, I did not realize that there is now a thread dedicated to these types of issues before I posted here. I will keep an eye on both threads, so either thread works for me.

I has been a sad day for me. After performing like a champion for almost a decade, my xbr 960 seems to finally kick the bucket. Even though, I moved on to Panasonic ZT60 plasma as my primary display 2 years ago, I am still fond of my xbr 960 and have many great memories watching movies and tv shows and playing video games on the xbr 960.

Here is the description of the problem. The tv tries to power itself on immediately after I plug it into power without me needing to press power button on the remote or the tv itself. Sometimes, I hear the normal degaussing sound and the normal click sound on the power up. Other times, it is just the same click sound without the degaussing sound.

After the tv tries to power up, the front red light blinks 6 times, pauses, blinks 7 times, pauses again, blinks 7 times again, and continues the cylcle of pausing and blinking 7 times indefinitely. Except for the flashing light, the tv looks dead otherwise. After the tv is plugged in into power, if I press the power button on the remote, I hear the click sound again, but nothing else is happening.

To fix the tv, I tried unplugging it from power for as long as several hours and then pluging it back into power. It tried this process multiple times. I also tried plugging the tv into power strip and directly into a wall power outlet. I even tried different power outlets. Nothing has worked.

From my Google search, I found that 6 blinking red lights seem to indicate Power Supply issue, and 7 blinking red lights seem to indicate Horizontal Deflection issue. Both issues seem to require part(s) replacement and service by a qualified technician. From my online research, it is around $200 - $300 for part(s) + labor to fix each issue.

As much as I like this tv, I am not willing to pay that much or go through trouble of ordering parts myself, opening up the tv, and messing with dangerous voltages to fix it.

I am also confused why I am getting both 6 blinking red lights (initially) and 7 blinking red lights (thereafter). Perhaps, the issue is not Power Supply or/and Horizontal Deflection, but something else is broken.

Is there anything else that I can try to fix the tv, or do I just have to replace it at this point?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Swift,

Unfortunately seems like the same exact symptoms we had as our 960 bit the dust. Would turn the set on and off and once in a while it would come on and would turn on again if turning off for a minute or so. Long spells off and the same problem again. Most of the time would not hear the deffuser.
post #8290 of 8301 Old 07-10-2015, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal22 View Post
Looking for one of these guys. Anyone got one in good working order they no longer wabt? I'm in the savanna Georgia area.
There's also a classified section under FORUMS with a CRT category. I suspect you've looked on your local Craigslist, but I wouldn't be too specific with keywords there as you'll probably miss some (I just use Sony TV although a lot to look at).

post #8291 of 8301 Old 07-11-2015, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Dubin View Post
Hi Swift,

Unfortunately seems like the same exact symptoms we had as our 960 bit the dust. Would turn the set on and off and once in a while it would come on and would turn on again if turning off for a minute or so. Long spells off and the same problem again. Most of the time would not hear the deffuser.
Hi Joseph,

It has been a long time. I remember you as a big fan of xbr 960 when I was posting on this board/thread back in 2006, so I am sorry to hear about your xbr 960. My XBR 960 only turns on if I leave it unplugged overnight. The fix seems to require opening the tv and replacing one or more components on the board. I can either fix it myself or pay $200 - $300 to a professional to do it for me. If I go with a professional, I will also have to lug the tv to a repair shop and back. DIY fix seems like a hassle as well and can be dangerous because there are high voltages present in the tv.

I used this tv from 2006 to 2013 daily, and it holds a sentimental value for me, but I do not think that it is practical to fix it at this point. In the end, it gave me many years of great service, but it is time to let it go.

I am wondering if I can just give it away on Craigslist or something.

Do you still have your xbr 960?

How did you get rid of it if you do not?
post #8292 of 8301 Old 07-12-2015, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSweeper View Post
Hi Joseph,

It has been a long time. I remember you as a big fan of xbr 960 when I was posting on this board/thread back in 2006, so I am sorry to hear about your xbr 960. My XBR 960 only turns on if I leave it unplugged overnight. The fix seems to require opening the tv and replacing one or more components on the board. I can either fix it myself or pay $200 - $300 to a professional to do it for me. If I go with a professional, I will also have to lug the tv to a repair shop and back. DIY fix seems like a hassle as well and can be dangerous because there are high voltages present in the tv.

I used this tv from 2006 to 2013 daily, and it holds a sentimental value for me, but I do not think that it is practical to fix it at this point. In the end, it gave me many years of great service, but it is time to let it go.

I am wondering if I can just give it away on Craigslist or something.

Do you still have your xbr 960?

How did you get rid of it if you do not?
Hi Swift,

How have you been, buddy. Yes, I remember our conversations well.

I was very upset having to say goodbye to the 960. The entire weekend I tried unplugging, turning on and off consistently, etc., hoping something would just click itself back into place.

Had to get rid of it but saved the stand for the new KDL 800b50w and also the remote which was a godsend because it has direct function buttons that the new one does not.

Fortunately, its easier to have the set simply drop off the stand thanks to the law of gravity. Then had it angled up against the sofa while slipping a flat dolly underneath it to flop onto and rolled it to the elevator to the basement. Only problem was weight of the set caused the back dolly wheels to get wedged in the slit between the elevator cab and the floor so had to push it to the garbage area. Fortunately gravel floor made that easy without dolly.

Miss the 960 but am happy with this new set, which is a mid level unit and since it was almost a year old when purchased, saved about $500 or $600 on it. But it took a decade for the flat screens to catch up to us and the less expensive models still not a match.

Ciao old buddy
post #8293 of 8301 Old 07-12-2015, 02:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's sad, but the value has gone from the old units.... Moving, I had to trash 4 CRT projectors and leave my Mits 65813 in the house.... My new Calibrated Vizio 70" is ... Awesome!!! ☺

- Glen -

Glen Carter<br />
Home Theater Calibration<br />
post #8294 of 8301 Old 07-16-2015, 01:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Dubin View Post
Hi Swift,

How have you been, buddy. Yes, I remember our conversations well.

I was very upset having to say goodbye to the 960. The entire weekend I tried unplugging, turning on and off consistently, etc., hoping something would just click itself back into place.

Had to get rid of it but saved the stand for the new KDL 800b50w and also the remote which was a godsend because it has direct function buttons that the new one does not.

Fortunately, its easier to have the set simply drop off the stand thanks to the law of gravity. Then had it angled up against the sofa while slipping a flat dolly underneath it to flop onto and rolled it to the elevator to the basement. Only problem was weight of the set caused the back dolly wheels to get wedged in the slit between the elevator cab and the floor so had to push it to the garbage area. Fortunately gravel floor made that easy without dolly.

Miss the 960 but am happy with this new set, which is a mid level unit and since it was almost a year old when purchased, saved about $500 or $600 on it. But it took a decade for the flat screens to catch up to us and the less expensive models still not a match.

Ciao old buddy
XBR 960 was a beast in its prime... the reference set. I remember calling Best Buys in hopeless effort to score one NIB. Nowadays, many would not take it even I gave it away for free.

I picked up Panasonic ZT60, which was one of the last great plasmas. I guess that I have a thing for dead technology . The picture quality on ZT60 is excellent, but it is as heavy as XBR960 and fragile.

I am glad that you are liking your new set. It will certainly be much easier to get rid of it when time comes.
post #8295 of 8301 Old 07-16-2015, 01:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenC View Post
It's sad, but the value has gone from the old units.... Moving, I had to trash 4 CRT projectors and leave my Mits 65813 in the house.... My new Calibrated Vizio 70" is ... Awesome!!! ☺

- Glen -
Yep, these units are pain to move. I love my 65 inch Panasonic ZT60 plasma, but I kind of regret buying it now because I will be moving soon, and it is just too big, heavy, and fragile to move. I called around and movers want $1200 - $1500 just to move it! Plus, I will be moving again within 2 years, so another $1200 - $1500 to move it! And, there is always a risk of damaging the tv during the move.

I also have XBR 960 and XBR 970, which I am not sure what to do with at this point.

Perhaps, I should open a museum of dead tv technology.
post #8296 of 8301 Old 07-20-2015, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 120
From above-
Fullmetal22, keep seeking both Craigslist & eBay for a 960. They pop up there all of the time.
post #8297 of 8301 Old 07-22-2015, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi everyone, I bought the 30 inch model of this, the "KD-30XS955" off of Craigslist, it looks like the previous owner kept it in his garage, and the back looks like it was exposed to a lot of sun, the glass front is flawless, but there was a lot of dust and spider webs inside. Everything is great except for three minor problems. Hopefully some of you experienced owners can point me in the right direction here.

Current issues;

1. The geometry is ok except for the very bottom, the TV looks like this
++++++++
++++++++
++++++++
//////////////<---here, the image is curved about 45 degrees to the west for about half an inch up from the very bottom across the entire width.

How can I fix this, and what caused this?

2. There are spots on the screen where it looks like someone is shining a lamp on it, plugging the HDMI in and out partially solves the problem, but not completely. It stays on certain areas. The picture of the entire screen looks fine, except for the minor annoyance of the "lamp" spots. I have no idea what this is or what has caused this.

3. The TV has bad red push. I've recorded the default service menu values, but have not messed with this setting yet. I've also corrected the over-scan. The image was not entirely in the screen, now it is. I'm unsure if the previous owner has messed with the service menu. I think he has because the setting for the red was already very low.

Thank you for any advice on the matter.
post #8298 of 8301 Old 07-23-2015, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR_960 View Post
++++++++
++++++++
++++++++
//////////////<---here, the image is curved about 45 degrees to the west for about half an inch up from the very bottom across the entire width.

I've seen that happen when you try to shrink the image size (i.e. vertical amplitude) too much in order to reduce overscan.

Last edited by blue_z; 07-23-2015 at 07:43 PM.
post #8299 of 8301 Old 07-25-2015, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR_960 View Post
++++++++
++++++++
++++++++

There are geometry adjustments for that in the service menu, but it's been years and I've long forgot which ones. Consult the Sony service menu thread.

Last edited by RWetmore; 07-25-2015 at 03:35 AM.
post #8300 of 8301 Old 07-31-2015, 05:42 AM

Hi Everyone,

I am truly sorry to bother you but I had a couple quick questions and hoping someone will see this in the next 6 hours...

I have a chance to pick up the Kd-34xbr960 but it's hours away while I'm traveling for work so only have one shot at this. I have reading this thread for the past couple hours trying to get as much information as possible, but some of it is way over my head.

Person is asking $200.00 for it and power supply was already replaced on it from what I was told.

I plan on using this system for my classic video games (NES to PS2) with a a classic audio receiver (for additional connections).

Questions are:

1. What are some things I should look out for when inspecting it that would make it a no go?
2. Is this TV still worth $200.00 in today's technology market?
3. What kind of longevity can I still get out of a TV like this and what would I be looking at cost wise to make it good as new (restore / calibrate)
4. All posts say PS2 XBOX will look amazing, but what about Nintendo / Super Nintendo resolutions?
4. Will the receiver used in conjunction with the TV cause any lag input for gaming? (I know the TV won't)
5. Can you still find the matching stands for these?
6. Is there anything else I need to know before quite literally sprinting at something due to last minute opportunity?

Thank you ever so much for anyone who can assist me and thank you for this thread!!!

Sincerely.
post #8301 of 8301 Unread Today, 03:59 PM

Liked: 10
Being a huge fan of the 960 it pains me to say that they're not worth $200, unless virtually unused. The dreaded blinking light issue, and people dropping them left and right makes finding a good example extremely difficult. Years ago I bought a mint one in a ritzy part of town, but the guy dropped it on his front steps, scratching the screen. Luckily I was able to remove the anti-reflective coating and restored it to perfection. Make sure to check the geometry and screen uniformity before even considering buying it. Also see how long it takes to start up, any significant delays could be bad news.

Have you thought about getting a Sony KV-34HS420? I've gotten numerous examples for free. Of course they're not as good as the SFP, but properly set up they're pretty darn good. Also they are rather plentiful, so if it breaks just grab parts from another or simply another unit.

As a side note, if anybody needs help removing the anti-reflective coating feel free to message me. I've done it numerous times, and in my mind it actually improves the already fantastic picture.

Last edited by SAVETHEXBR960; Today at 05:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays