The Official Kd-34xbr960 Thread - Page 279 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

Old 02-07-2016, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I doubt it since they're completely different animals. It would probably need a second set of digital goes-ins&goes-outs for control, decoding, etc., a second decoder (I doubt it's capable of mult-plexing), and major firmware changes to support all of those hardware changes.

Have you tried an external DTV tuner? Works on my Panasonic TV (Picture&Picture). And a simple SD DTV converter box should be sufficient since in double pic mode you'd hardly notice the lower resolution.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2016, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a way to remove the default tv input from the list of inputs when cycling through them? I switch between two inputs quite often and would rather it skipped over the tv input like it does the other ones. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2016, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bragi View Post
Is there a way to remove the default tv input from the list of inputs when cycling through them? I switch between two inputs quite often and would rather it skipped over the tv input like it does the other ones. Thanks!
Probably not as it's an embedded feature of the antenna RF input/tuner. It's a pet peeve for me on my Panasonic, I get tired of flipping through my snowy channel 3. Didn't work for me but you could try removing any coax input if you haven't already done so; on my Panny the other inputs go display inactive when there's nothing plugged in the video connector (composite, s-video, and the Y [only] of the component inputs). Now I just use it as a secondary monitor for my second recorder's DTV tuner, so at least it allows me to disconnect the DVDR video to the TV since I rarely play back from it (I play the recorded disks on my HDD/DVDR).
Or dig in the setup menu and see if it's possible to set the antenna system completely off. Can't do it on my Panny but maybe Sony was different. I suspect no one does it though because some folks would get in a locked out state and not 'easily' know what to do to turn it back on. I locked myself out of a multi-remote code VCR once playing around in the menu, didn't have the original remote so I had to trial&error codes in a u-remote to get it to operate on an auxiliary code.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Does anyone have a TV Stand for the XBR960 for sale?
Old 02-11-2016, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Old 02-11-2016, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bragi View Post
Is there a way to remove the default tv input from the list of inputs when cycling through them?
I've setup my XBR910 to skip the TV tuner in the list of inputs.
In the Menu, under Channel, assign the "Channel Fix" to "Video 1".
You cannot then try to also skip Video 1, i.e. if you setup Video 1's label to "skip", it doesn't.

Regards
Old 02-27-2016, 05:39 PM

Does the XBR960 output a digital or analog signal? Does changing an analog signal -> digital signal or digitalsignal -> analog signal create a loss of information?
Old 03-09-2016, 02:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
kind of a dumb question, but trying to revisit this subject long after I thought I had it all settled is trying

simply - is it better to set sources (blu-rays and video games) to 720p or 1080i?

Consensus generally seems to support that 720p is better than 1080i, but almost all of those discussions centre around flat-panel technologies with different native resolutions and abilities to scale compared to our beloved XBR960.

I know this TV's resolution is in-between those 2 signal resolutions, and I heard about how 720p signals get upconverted anyways... where does this leave us? What should I be using on this set specifically?

Is there interlacing and blur on 1080i? Is it there regardless because 720p gets bumped up to 1080i?
Old 03-09-2016, 08:32 PM

I'm guessing you're using a PlayStation 3? I am too. I've asked these same questions before.

~95% of PS3 games are rendered in native 720p + 480p. The reason for this is because 480p+720p are Sony standards. Every game must be capable in rendering at 720p and 480p. 1080i/p is up to the developers. If you have 720p disabled in the Display Settings, PS3 games will output in native 480p.

Yes, native 720p is better than upscaled 1080i for video games because of progressive scan, no input lag from upscaling, no input lag from interlacing the signal, and no loss in clarity from upscaling. However, CRTs do handle interlaced signals very well.

For Bluray, nearly all Bluray movies are rendered at 1080p. So 1080i is infinitely better than 720p on the 960 for watching Bluray movies. Here's why:

1) All you're doing is interlacing the 1080p signal to 1080i. CRTs handle interlaced signals very well.
2) Having Bluray movies output at 720p will just leave you with less resolution and introduce other problems from downscaling.
3) Outputting Blurays at 720p will be upscaled to 1080i in the end regardless, but now you have upscaled 1080 instead of native 1080, along with artifacts introduced by upscaling and interlacing.

In conclusion, have 1080i checked no matter what. Having 720p checked depends on whether you want the game to display in native 480p with no input lag, or upscaled from 720p to 1080i with input lag from the upscaling and interlacing process.

Last edited by GeneraLight; 03-09-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you for the reply. I am aware of PS3's output resolution behaviour. I was wishing to be more source agnostic and focusing on what this TV does with the signals.

So, this TV accepts a 720p signal, but never displays a 720p image? Do I have that right? Why not? Is 480p the highest progressive image the TV can display? Or does that also get upconverted to 1080i? What is it about this TV or CRTs that make this 720p > 1080i rule of thumb not to be followed perse?
Old 03-09-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deusfaux View Post
Thank you for the reply.
You're welcome.

Quote:
I am aware of PS3's output resolution behaviour. I was wishing to be more source agnostic and focusing on what this TV does with the signals.
Well, I've heard that the PS3 can upscale games by itself instead of the TV if you want. It has internal scaling software, but apparently its glitchy. It only upscales the horizontal resolution and not the vertical resolution. I can't confirm though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Quote:
So, this TV accepts a 720p signal, but never displays a 720p image? Do I have that right?
Correct. The Sony XBR960 and many other HD CRTs accept 720p source signals, but always output them at 1080i.

Quote:
Why not?
I don't know. That's just how it is. I did some research on this and dug up some conversations saying it would be far too expensive to have an HD CRT that could display 480p, 720p and 1080i. So its probably cost.

Quote:
Is 480p the highest progressive image the TV can display?
Yes.

Quote:
Or does that also get upconverted to 1080i?
Never. It will output as a native 480p signal. Perfect for playing Wii, GameCube and watching DVDs.

Quote:
What is it about this TV or CRTs that make this 720p > 1080i rule of thumb not to be followed perse?
Well for one, HD CRT TVs cannot output 720p. So you're stuck with either 480p or 1080i for PS3 games rendered in 720p/480p only. What games do have and plan on playing?
Old 03-10-2016, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I read somewhere that it was too costly for the beefier HV transformer, power supply, etc. required for a CRT to display the higher p's. Lots of joules needed for the scanning.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So after browsing for one of these TV's for over 10 years in my local area, one popped up last night . I have a chance to go pick it up this afternoon. What things should I be looking for to make sure it's working properly? Pictures of the TV look like it's been well taken care of, but the pics weren't of the TV turned on. If the picture isn't all out of wack then I will be taking it home with me. I know these are old sets but I think it would still be great for xbox 360/HDTV/Blu-Rays. Are certain issues like geometry easier to fix than an issue with colors?
Old 03-19-2016, 12:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Newly placed ad in Classifieds for my D-Nice calibrated XBR960, Los Angeles area.
Old 03-19-2016, 04:02 PM

Well I just scored the TV for free. The guy I got it from had taken very good care of it, he had it hooked up to his direct tv via HDMI when I got there, PQ looked pretty good. There are a few spots that were just barely blurry. Anyone know if adjusting the convergence or something else will fix that? Colors looked great, didn't seem to have any geometry issues.

The TV is still under a tarp in the back of my truck, gotta wait for someone to help me carry it down into my basement... That should be fun. I can't believe how heavy these things are compared to a 32" 4:3, I can carry one of those by myself.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Has anyone had their HDMI input port go bad?

I was making some complicated changes to my setup today, installing new HDMI cables, switches, and a splitter. It was working okay at first, but I was getting a bad signal through one path (sparkles, lines, flashing), so I was doing a little plugging and unplugging to try to diagnose the problem point. (I think it was a bad AmazonBasics cable.)

But eventually, I couldn't get a stable HDMI picture no matter what, and now I can't get any picture at all. When I press display on the remote, the TV still indicates it's receiving an HDMI signal (e.g. "1080i, 16:9"), but there's no picture coming through. This is even with a direct connection from the source to the TV through a known good cable.

I'm really worried that I somehow accidentally damaged or fried the HDMI port. I'm feeling sick at the thought that it might never work again. The component input still works, but not having HDMI anymore would obviously be a huge loss. I was not even remotely ready to give up this great TV.

I would be grateful for any advice or suggestions.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
After some searching, I see that I'm not the first to have this problem. Apparently, once this failure occurs, the HDMI board is no longer able to decode HDCP-encrypted signals. There's a thread about it:

34XS955/34xbr960 Lost HDMI HDCP Support

Previously in this thread, poster warpz0ne described how to replace the HDMI board to fix this:

KD-34XBR960 HDMI/Audio In "P Board" Step by Step Replacement Procedure

That sounds like a nightmare to me. I'm not sure I have the skills.

In theory, my 960 should still work with non-HDCP HDMI sources. Unfortunately I don't think I have any such devices on hand to test this. I guess I will see if I can find something to remove the HDCP before it gets to the TV. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Edit:

Things are looking up. I realized that a device I bought recently (the XRGB-Mini Framemeister) might not have HDCP on its output. I hooked it up, and sure enough, it displayed successfully. It's a relief to confirm that it's only the HDCP function that's broken, and HDMI still works otherwise.

I also learned of some HDMI splitters that reportedly have HDCP-free outputs. I've ordered a couple to test. Here's hoping that this will all work out.

Last edited by Jason One; 03-27-2016 at 02:46 AM.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Just wanted to bow out of active participation in this thread, as my 960 was sold this week. Been 12 years since it replaced my very first HDTV, another wonderful 34" CRT the Sampo SME-34HDW5. Been participating on this thread pretty much ever since 2004 when my 960 arrived.

This morning the shippers came to pick it up here in Marina Del Rey CA so that it could then be crated up properly to ensure safe arrival for its 1400 mile journey across the country, to its new home in Shawnee OK. Not cheap to ship, but the buyer and his kids are video gamers and are very much looking forward to 480p via CRT (with no lag), as well as D-Nice calibrated color.

It's been great fun. But honestly, the Panny 65VT50 (also calibrated by D-Nice) cannot be beat. Haven't watched anything on the 960 for three years.
GeneraLight likes this.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Just wanted to bow out of active participation in this thread, as my 960 was sold this week. Been 12 years since it replaced my very first HDTV, another wonderful 34" CRT the Sampo SME-34HDW5. Been participating on this thread pretty much ever since 2004 when my 960 arrived.

This morning the shippers came to pick it up here in Marina Del Rey CA so that it could then be crated up properly to ensure safe arrival for its 1400 mile journey across the country, to its new home in Shawnee OK. Not cheap to ship, but the buyer and his kids are video gamers and are very much looking forward to 480p via CRT (with no lag), as well as D-Nice calibrated color.

It's been great fun. But honestly, the Panny 65VT50 (also calibrated by D-Nice) cannot be beat. Haven't watched anything on the 960 for three years.
Curious how the buyer found you and what you sold it for.

I was lucky enough to find one locally after just following craigslist for 10days. Found 2 actually but only bought 1.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaocaholica View Post
Curious how the buyer found you and what you sold it for.
Sent you a PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Congrats! It's been real. Likewise, been viewing my Pioneer 500m for the past 3 years but have kept the mighty 960 for video games.
GeneraLight likes this.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:59 PM

Smile

Quote:

Nice. I'm guessing they're using it primarily for the GameCube, PlayStation 2 and Wii? Those are all consoles which support native 480p.

Speaking of calibration, I had my Sony KD-34XBR960 fully calibrated by Chad B. back on March 5th, 2016. Needless to say, he did an absolutely amazing job! Chad was very professional and friendly, and spent almost 6 hours working on my TV to get the absolute best performance out of it. He fixed the geometry, convergence and perfected the color accuracy. Also eliminated overscan and disabled all post-processing effects. My Wii and GameCube games play in native 480p with zero input lag, and look like they're being rendered at 1080p on Dolphin! The vibrant colors and black levels are off the charts with this thing. Extremely recommended.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Guys-

still loving my 960N
GeneraLight likes this.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
Guys-

still loving my 960N
Nice

So I've heard that thie Sony XBR960 doesn't actually do 480p. It can only display 540p and 1080i. Is this true? Would the advertised specs and 480p appearing on my screen from 480p signals be a lie?

Last edited by GeneraLight; 04-09-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I was thinking that the 960 does 480, 720 and 1080
Old Today, 06:18 AM

Liked: 0
Hi I would like help with my service menu adjustments. I am trying to fix the aspect ratio of my 480p input but whenever I modify the MID settings and write it, it'll stretch back to the default ratio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

taboola here