The Official Kd-34xbr960 Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #811 of 8185 Old 08-09-2004, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hmm i was a bit unclear, i used avia to line up the corner a bit better, but i use the tilt in the menu to actually straighten up the picture.

i'd use the service menu if i had more time. its nice to know you can reset to factory specs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 8185 Old 08-10-2004, 12:35 AM

There are issues with the set and the DVI to HDMI from various sources. However, I am not 100% willing to say it's totally the set's fault. Check HTPC Thread if you want more info.

I had the local tech out here today. Took care of what we could with the Keystone in the upper left and lower right corner.

He has ordered several Sony Magnet packages which gives you more flexibility than the magnets they use on the CRT in the factory. He is convinced that will correct the rest.

You can adjust the Service Menu all you want, but there's only so much you can do without finally hitting the magnets and I 've yet to see a 910 or 960 that doesn't need it.

Would I do it again? Yes, the TV is worth it.

If it doesn't work 100% out of the box, it's fine for 95% of the untrained buyers.

I'm just more picky. If that's what I have to do to get it right, so be it.
post #813 of 8185 Old 08-10-2004, 08:52 AM

Liked: 11
Those two corners are badly in need of some work on my set too. Were the magents covered under your warranty? The last time I had a tech here, he said that they were.
post #814 of 8185 Old 08-10-2004, 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Phantastica
Those two corners are badly in need of some work on my set too. Were the magents covered under your warranty? The last time I had a tech here, he said that they were.

Of course.
post #815 of 8185 Old 08-10-2004, 09:42 AM

I am looking into getting a new TV for the football season and this Sony XBR is on my list. How satisfied are all of you with this TV? I really would like a larger screen but have heard that the PQ on this will crush any DLP/LCD pic. Is that about right? My only wants in my new tv is the Cablecard, dual tuner/w split screen, and HDMI. AS for DLP there is a very limited amount of TV's with the Cablecard. Only one I have seen yet is the Mitsubishi, and I don't think I would like their anti-glare screen. Thanks for any help you guys can provide. BTW, I talked to a local store who has this TV in stock as of today. At a great price I may add.
post #816 of 8185 Old 08-10-2004, 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by HDTVFanAtic
I had the local tech out here today. Took care of what we could with the Keystone in the upper left and lower right corner.

He has ordered several Sony Magnet packages which gives you more flexibility than the magnets they use on the CRT in the factory. He is convinced that will correct the rest.

Was the local tech that you spoke of a Sony tech or someone else? I recently purchased this set and have some minor issues. I'm trying to determine if I should swap the set or have someone calibrate it.
post #817 of 8185 Old 08-10-2004, 10:52 AM

After staunchly defending the set, I ended up returning it.

When I had the ISF guy at my house, and he inputted a 720p signal grid, there was a horrible flicker effect. It clearly was not accepting the 720p signal properly, although I could only notice it when looking at a bright white wall on a broadcast. We called Sony to inquire abou this and got very few straight answers, even after talking to a manager.

Regardless, with the geometry not being so great, this problem, and the possibility for hidden problems, I just decided it wasn't worth it for me. I am massively picky.

The picture on this TV, even the one in my house, is awesome. But for 2200 bucks and 34 inches, I would really expect near perfection.

No way I go to DLP or LCD, those are just garbage for picture. I'm just going to get a Mitsu 55613 rear projection, have it ISF calibrated, and enjoy the big screen. I have the room in my house for that size TV.
post #818 of 8185 Old 08-10-2004, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

ISN'T LCD rptv (Wega IV coming out soon) good? you may want to try that one out...
post #819 of 8185 Old 08-10-2004, 12:01 PM

Finally tracked down a 960 in town and bought it.

First impressions:

HD is unbelieveable!! I was considering the HS420, but the tube on the 960 is the best I've ever seen.

SD from cable is very good. Much much better than the cheapo HD Sanyo I was considering. It was unwatchable. The 960 is 95% as good as the 27" SD Sony it replaced for SD.

Problem:

After leaving the TV off overnight and turning it on this morning, I got a "No Signal" from the antenna. I powered it off for 15 seconds and it turned back on and worked just fine. I saw Jamison reported this problem. Anyone else??

Geometry:

People are talking about geometry problems. What exactly is meant by this? My 960's picture looks square and not distorted.
post #820 of 8185 Old 08-10-2004, 12:04 PM

The LCD RPTVs, even the IV, which I saw demoed, are awful, in my opinion. Pixelation with movement, jagged edges. It's just bright and looks good in a store.

Bottom line, if you buy a DLP or LCD now, you will feel bad in two years when you can get a better one for less money, and it still won't be as good as a CRT.
post #821 of 8185 Old 08-10-2004, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ritewinger
I am looking into getting a new TV for the football season and this Sony XBR is on my list. How satisfied are all of you with this TV? I really would like a larger screen but have heard that the PQ on this will crush any DLP/LCD pic. Is that about right? My only wants in my new tv is the Cablecard, dual tuner/w split screen, and HDMI. AS for DLP there is a very limited amount of TV's with the Cablecard. Only one I have seen yet is the Mitsubishi, and I don't think I would like their anti-glare screen. Thanks for any help you guys can provide. BTW, I talked to a local store who has this TV in stock as of today. At a great price I may add.

Cablecard is over-rated at this point. VERY SLUGGISH.

Split screen does not work with 2 HDTV inputs....only HDTV on right and SD on left.

DLP won't do 1080i at this point.

HDMI is very picky - more so than the DVI issues cable companies were having with their DVIs to HDTV.

That said, this will be a good investment long term as nothing can match a CRT picture that is out today. If it becomes a bedroom TV or somewhere else, it will give years of good results.
post #822 of 8185 Old 08-10-2004, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
remember, Samsung will be releasing their new "97" line of DLP's in November, with native 1080P resolution. Of course, the MSRP is $7000, but my next TV will be 1080p, ATSC/NTSC/QAM tuners with cablecard.

Sharp is also releasing a 1080p tv, but don't remember what type technology it is, just remember that it'll be 45"
post #823 of 8185 Old 08-10-2004, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Newbie here, I took the plunge and bought the tv and the dvd dream system from Circuit City. Should arrive Friday in time to watch the Olympics! Funny thing was the circuit city guy was pressuring me away from this tv and towards a Panasonic 34". He said Sony was going downhill fast.

We'll see...
post #824 of 8185 Old 08-10-2004, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

CC.. and your in Sacramento?? GOOD LUCK. You share the same warehouse where I got 3 960 DUDs!!! I hope you get one that works. Examine the geometry and make sure the tuner works properly....
post #825 of 8185 Old 08-10-2004, 05:04 PM

sales people at my cc are more a hindrance than anything else.

latest ex:
me: where's your canned air ?
cc drone: whats that ?

going down hill fast, whats that exactly mean ? did he do a detailed analysis of the company/division ? or does he mean that sony has sponsored downhill ski teams in the upcoming winter olympics ?

next time a sales person tells you xxx is going downhill, ask them to explain.
scenario:
you: explain
cc drone: dood, i was taking a bong hit, and my friend told me sunny delight tastes like poo...
post #826 of 8185 Old 08-10-2004, 08:15 PM

I have to say it one more time. I have tried to restrain from posting multiple times on the same thread.

I love this unit. I know there are a few folks here who seem to have got a bad seed but that does not mean the entire line is doomed and I am proof. While I am not "Joe HD" expert and I am probably not the best at calibration, but I think this unit is a "10". HD is about as good as it gets. NTSC really isn't that bad looking on this set. Really it isn't!! Now that I have HD, I avoid NTSC broadcast like the plague anyway.

I bought what I could afford. This was it. Yes, I want a Plasma someday. I think they are going to get better and cheaper in the next two years. This unit is going to make one hell of a bedroom unit in three to four years.

I think we should stop focusing how crappy NTSC looks and start looking to the future now and praise how friggin awesome HD/DVD looks. I work all day. When I come home at night there is plenty of HD to watch. There are more and more HD programs coming.

In my eyes, this is the best CRT you can buy today at any price. If you can afford it, buy it. If you can't, there are some other great choices that will not be as grand as this XBR but without a doubt a great TV.

I can only share my "personal" experiences with my unit but I would only trade it for a Pioneer or Fujitsu Plasma.

Going on three weeks of HD orgasim and a trouble free Sony !!

-Rick
post #827 of 8185 Old 08-10-2004, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

In your use, yes..the 960 is perfect. Unless you have VOOM, the big networks only show hdtv from 8pm-11pm showing a few shows (not all the shows however). All the other times you watch tv, SD channels look horrible on this set because you have to zoom the images. If you dont, you will have black bars and possible burn in. Viewing size will be 27" I believe. HDTV wont be fully utilized for another 3-5 years IMO. After researching all I can, I realize a HDTV 4:3 set will provide what I am looking for the next 5 years. After that, I believe Technology will improve so much, the price of tv sets will decrease dramatically with an increase tech wise.

Of course I have not seen what a sd image looks like on a 36" 4:3 HDTV . However, I will be watching 33" dvd and HDTV widescreen and 36" 3:4 programming.

If you are deciding on buying the 960, please keep in mind that at this time it is a crap shoot if you get a working or problematic set.
post #828 of 8185 Old 08-10-2004, 09:13 PM

HDTV Fanatic......how sluggish is the Cablecard system. Are you talking about changing channels? If that is the case I deal with that now with my STB. I also called Comcast and the Card is free saving me $6.95 a month on the box and HDTV will be free with the integrated tuner (as far as I understand it anyway). Please let me know what you mean by sluggish.

Also, does anyone know if the current cablecard will be upgradeable when the bidirectional ability is developed and released...ie on demand and PPV?
post #829 of 8185 Old 08-10-2004, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

""After leaving the TV off overnight and turning it on this morning, I got a "No Signal" from the antenna. I powered it off for 15 seconds and it turned back on and worked just fine. I saw Jamison reported this problem. Anyone else??""

If you see this!.... go into diagnostics the last item in the menu and see what the incoming signal strengh is.
On mine I just bought a Cheapie Jensen set top Antenna and after turning the little knobbie I can get all the local stations in.
Ususally if I get the no signal its because the Tuning is unlocked due to poor signal strengh.

Has anyone found a Service code The screen adjustment seams like it 's missing horizontal Adjustemnt and mine seams to be off about 3/4" to the right everything else is fine corners etc:

Take anything I say with a grain of Salt I am an Authority on nothing
post #830 of 8185 Old 08-10-2004, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

That would not be it. If that was the case, why does turning it off and turning it back on "fix" the problem??? Also, why does the cable signal look horrible when you first turn it on? turning it off and then on again fixes the problem. The 960 has a run of bad tuners I believe?
post #831 of 8185 Old 08-10-2004, 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ritewinger
HDTV Fanatic......how sluggish is the Cablecard system. Are you talking about changing channels? If that is the case I deal with that now with my STB. I also called Comcast and the Card is free saving me $6.95 a month on the box and HDTV will be free with the integrated tuner (as far as I understand it anyway). Please let me know what you mean by sluggish.

Also, does anyone know if the current cablecard will be upgradeable when the bidirectional ability is developed and released...ie on demand and PPV?

The cablecard is so much slower than a STB its not funny. I will only use it when I want to view a HD program that is scambled while recording another with the STB.

The Pace HDTV box is fast in HD, the SA slow in comparison and the cablecard is slower than watching grass grow.

AFAIK, I do not believe the 1 way cable cards sets will ever work with 2 way communications.
post #832 of 8185 Old 08-11-2004, 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by 56Oval

Problem:

After leaving the TV off overnight and turning it on this morning, I got a "No Signal" from the antenna. I powered it off for 15 seconds and it turned back on and worked just fine. I saw Jamison reported this problem. Anyone else??

I have the same problem when watching both SD or HDTV channels using built-in tuner with an analog cable. I got the TV from CC about three weeks ago. I have never had such problems with my old analog tv using the same wires.

So, is it a problem with a tv's tuner or cable signal? I am very happy with the tv otherwise.

Mikhail
post #833 of 8185 Old 08-11-2004, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

If turning the tv off and then on again fixes the problem.. Its the tuner.
post #834 of 8185 Old 08-11-2004, 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by 56Oval

I have the same problem.

I've found that if I tune an analog station and then change back to digital, or alternatively if I leave it on for a minute or two and then change to another digital channel that clears the issue also.
post #835 of 8185 Old 08-11-2004, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
These tuner problems seem to be running rampant. I'm surpised some of you seem to be putting up with it so far. I would be returning that sucker ASAP.

post #836 of 8185 Old 08-11-2004, 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bombs
The picture on this TV, even the one in my house, is awesome. But for 2200 bucks and 34 inches, I would really expect near perfection.

Sorry to hear about that. But I agree... for that price, I want the perfect tv (+ it should cook, clean, and fold my laundry).

Fortunately for me, I think I got that. My buddy came over last night (he has the 910 and has also paid out a couple hundred to have his set professionally calibrated. He's a really hard core Audio/Video-phile. It was funny, I put in the two towers (as it is a DVD he also has)... and he was kinda pissed, because he said my 960 was noticably better than his 910 (now for the record, I had a much harder time making that comparison (sp) and I wouldn't have said 'noticably' but rather slightly or barely.) In any event, I think it was my calibration guy, he thinks it's the tv itself. Either way, we both agree that my 960 is better than his 910.

So Bombs, I hope you can find a set that meets your needs. Good luck!

Cheers,
-C
post #837 of 8185 Old 08-11-2004, 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by JamisonBWolsh
If turning the tv off and then on again fixes the problem.. Its the tuner.

Try changing the channel instead of turning the tv off. Just channel up, then channel down. It takes less time too, and I'd bet it would work just the same.
post #838 of 8185 Old 08-11-2004, 10:44 AM

Hi Cad3,

This morning it turned on with no HD signal from the antenna like yesterday. This time I didn't turn it off, but I just switched to the cable input and then back. HD signal came right back.

It's an annoying problem, but I'm not sure I want to swap TVs and risk getting one with bigger problems.

Does anyone have a TV that actually works perfectly?

I'm still amazed with the HD quality. It blows all the other CRTs away!

And I'm still suffering major issues not being able to use my TiVo with HD. It's sucking the life out of me.
post #839 of 8185 Old 08-11-2004, 02:59 PM

As I get the "no signal" error with the MyHD ATSC tuners that I have, to me its always been a decoding issue with the signal not synching. I don't think its the the TV, but DTV in general as I see that with 4 other tuners.
post #840 of 8185 Old 08-11-2004, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

So, HDTVFanatic. Are you saying this is normal for the HDTV tuners? They should work the bugs out before releasing this to the market....Would this also cause the sgnal for Cable TV to be garbled?
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page