The Official Kd-34xbr960 Thread - Page 282 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 54Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8431 of 8482 Old 05-29-2017, 10:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Fletcher View Post
Almost 12 years, and my 960 is still going strong. However, I think it's about to be relegated to a secondary position in the household. I'll need the stand it's using now for its replacement, so I'll need another stand for the 960's new home. It looks like the matching Sony stand (SU-34XBR3) was discontinued long ago, so does anyone have any suggestions as to a currently available, fairly cheap stand that would serve its wedge shape and 200 lbs. of CRT goodness?
It might be best to browse CL for old, deep TV stands that were meant for CRTs. You could pick something up for next to nothing.

I was using this Ikea unit to hold mine up though (my wife got sick of the fake wood paneled CRT stand I was using and wanted something white): http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30269129/ It's rated for 220 lbs, which worked fine. The 960's housing stuck out by about 5 inches, but I never had issues aside from scratching up the surface when I had to take it down. Right now, I just have it on an old stand my father-in-law picked up from the garbage lol. I think that's better. The weight is more safely distributed, and it has a better wood framework at the front for supporting the front glass's weight.
JA Fant likes this.
lowibu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8432 of 8482 Old 05-31-2017, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JA Fant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Prattville AL
Posts: 1,665
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 536
I,too, have owned my 960N for 13 yrs now. I use a Bell' O stand, very sturdy. Remember this wonderful set is a beast! Get a stand rated for 250 lbs and you will be fine.
JA Fant is offline  
post #8433 of 8482 Old 06-02-2017, 01:53 PM
Member
 
tortoise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC, US
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Fletcher View Post
Almost 12 years, and my 960 is still going strong. However, I think it's about to be relegated to a secondary position in the household. I'll need the stand it's using now for its replacement, so I'll need another stand for the 960's new home. It looks like the matching Sony stand (SU-34XBR3) was discontinued long ago, so does anyone have any suggestions as to a currently available, fairly cheap stand that would serve its wedge shape and 200 lbs. of CRT goodness?
Don't know how important looks are for you, but I moved my 960 to the bedroom last year on an end table I bought from Salvation Army, and it works fine. The table is an 80's vintage solid wood table. The depth of the table is more than the TV depth, however the ends of the TV overhang by about 3 inches on each side. The TV is stable and there is room underneath if you need to attach some AV accessories. Total cost, 5 bucks.
tortoise is offline  
 
post #8434 of 8482 Old 06-05-2017, 04:50 PM
Member
 
captainsolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: TN, USA
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
After comparing the 960 to the xs955, I have to say the 960 comes out better. I also watch a lot of Laserdisc, and even with the smaller 4:3 window the 960 has the better image.The images come across as slightly sharper, brighter and clearer overall-and the 960 lets me adjust the DRC palette whereas the 955 for some unknown stupid reason does not. Thus the 955 always appears noisy and pixelated in comparison.

Ironically, after doing overscan adjustments, when I set 4:3 letterboxed content to zoom mode on the 960, it again looks BETTER than the 955. When you use such a zoom mode on 4:3 I'd have thought it would cause artifacts or slight resolution loss but it doesn't seem to at all.

Both have aliasing issues which I presume comes from the DRC. I am correct in thinking that there is no way to disable this, nor a particular correct way to set it so that the video is untouched?

I'm limited to SD tests anyway as the HDMI on the 955 is apparently shot and doesn't work at all.
JA Fant likes this.
captainsolo is offline  
post #8435 of 8482 Old 06-17-2017, 07:27 AM
Member
 
Slinky11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well the time has come. I'm moving, and the TV can't come with me.

Thus, i'm offering my XBR960 free to AVS members in the South Bay Area. Santa Clara specifically.

Lightly used in the last few years. Needs a little overscan and probably fine pitch work. There is one part of the power cable that isn't pretty, but it isn't chewed through. No scratches on the screen film. Comes with remote and short screw-in HDMI extension. Please let me know if you or someone you know is interested.



I have a stand, but would need some money for that. I'd like to keep it otherwise.
JA Fant likes this.
Slinky11 is offline  
post #8436 of 8482 Old 06-22-2017, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JA Fant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Prattville AL
Posts: 1,665
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky11 View Post
Well the time has come. I'm moving, and the TV can't come with me.

Thus, i'm offering my XBR960 free to AVS members in the South Bay Area. Santa Clara specifically.

Lightly used in the last few years. Needs a little overscan and probably fine pitch work. There is one part of the power cable that isn't pretty, but it isn't chewed through. No scratches on the screen film. Comes with remote and short screw-in HDMI extension. Please let me know if you or someone you know is interested.



I have a stand, but would need some money for that. I'd like to keep it otherwise.
sweet pic!
JA Fant is offline  
post #8437 of 8482 Old 06-22-2017, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JA Fant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Prattville AL
Posts: 1,665
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 536
As above,

captainsolo- the 960/960N was Sony's last excellent CRT. They did not cut any corners on production and performance.
JA Fant is offline  
post #8438 of 8482 Old 07-16-2017, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JA Fant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Prattville AL
Posts: 1,665
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Enjoying another Summer w/ my 960N
JohnGZ28 likes this.
JA Fant is offline  
post #8439 of 8482 Old 07-31-2017, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JohnGZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Mine is hanging on by a thread, picture is still great but it randomly shuts off.
JA Fant likes this.

JohnG
JohnGZ28 is offline  
post #8440 of 8482 Old 07-31-2017, 09:01 PM
Member
 
NeilPeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
My KD-34XS955N is still kicking and still looks great after 13 years. I self-calibrated it years ago, so perhaps I'll reward it with another calibration since I performed it over 10 years ago. I still have the matching stand and I have no symptoms of any problems (I've always connected it to a voltage-regulated power conditioner with surge protection - perhaps that helped). Other than the picture, which is still terrific, the sound quality blows me away. Today's plasmas, LCDs and OLEDs all are too thin to have decent on-board sound. The built in speakers and CRT picture make this my favorite classic-gaming TV - I have my Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, GameCube and Wii connected to it (I use the DVDO Edge de-interlacer/scaler & a Darbee Darblet). I have offered this TV locally for $200 with stand and no bites - maybe I'm asking too much for this old beast.
JohnGZ28 and JA Fant like this.

"glittering prizes and endless compromises..."

51" Samsung F8500 Plasma & 60" Panasonic ST60 Plasma for Sale
NeilPeart is offline  
post #8441 of 8482 Old 08-01-2017, 01:52 PM
Member
 
tortoise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC, US
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilPeart View Post
My KD-34XS955N is still kicking and still looks great after 13 years. I self-calibrated it years ago, so perhaps I'll reward it with another calibration since I performed it over 10 years ago. I still have the matching stand and I have no symptoms of any problems (I've always connected it to a voltage-regulated power conditioner with surge protection - perhaps that helped). Other than the picture, which is still terrific, the sound quality blows me away. Today's plasmas, LCDs and OLEDs all are too thin to have decent on-board sound. The built in speakers and CRT picture make this my favorite classic-gaming TV - I have my Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, GameCube and Wii connected to it (I use the DVDO Edge de-interlacer/scaler & a Darbee Darblet). I have offered this TV locally for $200 with stand and no bites - maybe I'm asking too much for this old beast.
It's a great TV, but not much in demand. I've kept mine in the guest room, since it would actually cost money to get rid of it.
JA Fant likes this.
tortoise is offline  
post #8442 of 8482 Old 08-01-2017, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JA Fant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Prattville AL
Posts: 1,665
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Nothing, no current brand betters these CRT sets. Sony XBR is in a class unto itself.
JA Fant is offline  
post #8443 of 8482 Old 08-05-2017, 04:42 PM
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsolo View Post
After comparing the 960 to the xs955, I have to say the 960 comes out better. I also watch a lot of Laserdisc, and even with the smaller 4:3 window the 960 has the better image.The images come across as slightly sharper, brighter and clearer overall-and the 960 lets me adjust the DRC palette whereas the 955 for some unknown stupid reason does not. Thus the 955 always appears noisy and pixelated in comparison.

Ironically, after doing overscan adjustments, when I set 4:3 letterboxed content to zoom mode on the 960, it again looks BETTER than the 955. When you use such a zoom mode on 4:3 I'd have thought it would cause artifacts or slight resolution loss but it doesn't seem to at all.

Both have aliasing issues which I presume comes from the DRC. I am correct in thinking that there is no way to disable this, nor a particular correct way to set it so that the video is untouched?

I'm limited to SD tests anyway as the HDMI on the 955 is apparently shot and doesn't work at all.
I just got my hands on a 34XBR960 (through Craigslist) and I experienced the exact opposite. My 30XS955 seems to have the better, sharper and more vivid picture. My 960 has a more dull/grayish tint picture. Aren't all these Sony HD-CRTs supposed to have the same SFP tube?

Last edited by Tom Smith Smith; 08-05-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Tom Smith Smith is offline  
post #8444 of 8482 Old 08-05-2017, 05:06 PM
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Some claim that the 34XBR960 (and other Sony HD-CRTs) can't do 720p. Where's the evidence that they can't and that they upscale 720p to 1080i? Whenever I feed the 34XBR960 a 720p signal, the TV display info says "720p" and not 1080i. So how can I know whether the TV is displaying 720p or not?
Tom Smith Smith is offline  
post #8445 of 8482 Old 08-05-2017, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JA Fant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Prattville AL
Posts: 1,665
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith Smith View Post
Some claim that the 34XBR960 (and other Sony HD-CRTs) can't do 720p. Where's the evidence that they can't and that they upscale 720p to 1080i? Whenever I feed the 34XBR960 a 720p signal, the TV display info says "720p" and not 1080i. So how can I know whether the TV is displaying 720p or not?
The well-written Sony manual can provide all of this intel for you.
JA Fant is offline  
post #8446 of 8482 Old 08-05-2017, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JA Fant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Prattville AL
Posts: 1,665
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 536
As above ,
Tom- is the 30XS955 an XBR set?
JA Fant is offline  
post #8447 of 8482 Old 08-05-2017, 07:12 PM
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
The well-written Sony manual can provide all of this intel for you.
Thanks. I'll have a look at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
As above ,
Tom- is the 30XS955 an XBR set?
Nope. But it is a "Super Fine Pitch" tube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith Smith View Post
I just got my hands on a 34XBR960 (through Craigslist) and I experienced the exact opposite. My 30XS955 seems to have the better, sharper and more vivid picture. My 960 has a more dull/grayish tint picture. Aren't all these Sony HD-CRTs supposed to have the same SFP tube?
Now that I think about it, I think my new 34XBR960 is just poorly calibrated.
Tom Smith Smith is offline  
post #8448 of 8482 Old 08-06-2017, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Floydage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,853
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith Smith View Post
I just got my hands on a 34XBR960 (through Craigslist) and I experienced the exact opposite. My 30XS955 seems to have the better, sharper and more vivid picture. My 960 has a more dull/grayish tint picture. Aren't all these Sony HD-CRTs supposed to have the same SFP tube?
If there's no N on the end of your model number then it came with anti-glare film. Could be messed up by now. There's at least one thread on AVS about removing the gnarly stuff. Blemishes, scratches, increase brightness, and maybe this kind of problem. Of course that 960 is pretty old now, could have problems.
I don't know that any CRT TV is capable of displaying true 720p. From what I read it was too costly as the HV HD CRT requires more joule-intensive circuitry.
JA Fant likes this.

Floydage is offline  
post #8449 of 8482 Old 08-06-2017, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
DSperber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA, USA
Posts: 5,662
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post
I don't know that any CRT TV is capable of displaying true 720p. From what I read it was too costly as the HV HD CRT requires more joule-intensive circuitry.
Though it's not available now, back in the early 2000's the Sampo SME-34WHD5 (which I owned as my very first HDTV, before its picture tube died in 2004 and I purchased a Sony 34XBR960 to replace it) actually DID support native scan mode of both 720p and 1080i. There was no up/down-conversion of 720p source input, as 720p input was displayed in native 720p display mode. There was no digital HDMI input, but rather only analog component video input of 720p/1080i HD source. The set retailed for $3500 when it came out.

Although the 34XBR960 certainly accepted 720p input from both HDMI as well as component video, I do believe it was up-converted for display at the native scan mode of 1080i.
JA Fant likes this.
DSperber is offline  
post #8450 of 8482 Old 08-06-2017, 04:26 PM
Member
 
NeilPeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Cool Calibration Tips

I received some questions regarding calibrating these Sony SFP HD CRTs (XBR & XS); I'm FAR from an expert in these matters but this is what I did with mine:

The first step to calibrating this TV is to set the picture mode to Pro and color to Warm; also in the Advanced Menu set the Color Axis to Monitor. Then use a variety of calibration discs to get the best settings with your eye; I start with the Disney WoW, then move to DVE and finally finish with the Spears and Munsil 2nd Edition disc. If you have the knowledge I would then venture into the Service Menu to get the best convergence and overscan results (and many other things too).

If you want to take it farther and desire more accuracy I would use a colorimeter like the X-Rite (and software, patterns, etc.) to get the most accurate color temperature and grayscale possible (as much as these Sony XBR/XS Super-Fine-Pitch tubes allow), or even hire an ISF Pro for a calibration session (they can combine their knowledge of calibration and the service menu and usually have much better gear). Even though I have some of the basic equipment and perform my own calibrations, if I'm going to keep the TV long-term I hire a pro because they always achieve better performance that I can. Obviously these CRTs are very old so I'm not sure a pro calibrator is worth it at this point, but that is a personal decision.

I also recommend the use of a DVDO Edge up-scaler/de-interlacer (or similar device) to get much better 480p & 720p up-scaling and de-interlacing. Of course it's always best to feed this TV a native 1080i signal whenever possible so no de-interlacing must be performed, but some sources cannot output anything but a 480p, 720p or even a 1080p signal - the TV's built in scaler/de-interlacer doesn't handle this nearly as well as the DVDO Edge. I finish it off by using a Darbee DVP5000S to get that last bit of POP.

If you’re a classic gamer this TV can output 240p signals via composite or S-Video (NES, SNES & Genesis for example), but the DVDO Edge does a much better job (albeit with a bit of ringing). The 3D comb filter in the Edge is superior to the Sony TV (though there are other higher-performing comb filters out there, that’s a story for another day). However, instead of messing with all that I would just modify the console (if needed) for pure RGB output via SCART to component cables to the Edge, which looks incredible. For hardcore gamers there are better options than this TV, such as Sony's professional PVM or (even better) BVM monitors.
JA Fant likes this.

"glittering prizes and endless compromises..."

51" Samsung F8500 Plasma & 60" Panasonic ST60 Plasma for Sale

Last edited by NeilPeart; 08-06-2017 at 04:53 PM.
NeilPeart is offline  
post #8451 of 8482 Old 08-07-2017, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Floydage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,853
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Though it's not available now, back in the early 2000's the Sampo SME-34WHD5 (which I owned as my very first HDTV, before its picture tube died in 2004 and I purchased a Sony 34XBR960 to replace it) actually DID support native scan mode of both 720p and 1080i. There was no up/down-conversion of 720p source input, as 720p input was displayed in native 720p display mode. There was no digital HDMI input, but rather only analog component video input of 720p/1080i HD source. The set retailed for $3500 when it came out.
It does exist! . First one I've heard of in these parts that can do so. Do you recall if it was heavier weight and higher max. power usage than the 'norm?'
My Panny CT-34WX50 is about that vintage (2001). Similar input porting with the lack of HDMI and DVI, and component video inputs but for 480i/480p/1080i (cannot accept 720p). MSRPed for $4500 if I recall correctly [a freebie for me from a Kenwood audio distributor that used it for trade shows, etc.; the good: low usage, the bad: shipped around the country].
Hope your Panny plasma is still serving you well!
JA Fant likes this.

Floydage is offline  
post #8452 of 8482 Old 08-07-2017, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
DSperber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA, USA
Posts: 5,662
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post
It does exist! . First one I've heard of in these parts that can do so. Do you recall if it was heavier weight and higher max. power usage than the 'norm?'
It was just a bit lighter than the 34XBR960. As I recall it weighed 192 lbs., which was just shy of the 195 lbs. that the 960 comes in at. Essentially identical in size and bulk to the 960.

I'll never forget my reaction when I first connected it to the roof antenna I installed to pick up WFAA (the ABC affiliate in Dallas which was the first station to broadcast in HD there) and got to see my first ever HDTV picture on the Sampo screen. WFAA was 1080i in those days (before Disney bought ABC/ESPN and converted to 720p) and I gasped. I used to watch the overnight test loops, which were broadcasts of Raleigh WRAL-produced 10-30 minute HDTV demos that had astonishingly high bitrate MPEG2 compression. I ran the OTA/ATSC antenna into my Dish Network HD setup, which included a model 5000 receiver and the special HDTV modulator that attached to the back. This fed 8VSB output on channel 3 to my legendary "Panny combo" (DTS50 receiver and PV-HD1000 DVHS VCR).

I did get a discount on the $3500 retail price of the Sampo when I bought it in March 2001. I paid $2750, plus $100 shipping from CA to Dallas, and another $40 for the special "service remote". The poor delivery guys were only supposed to deliver it "to the curb", but I persuaded them to walk it upstairs to my 2nd floor apartment (no elevator!). They had to take it out of the carton in order to make the turn and get it in through my front door and I was terrified it would not make the journey from curb to countertop unscathed. Luckily it escaped unharmed and I got 3 years of pure pleasure out of it.


Quote:
Hope your Panny plasma is still serving you well!
Indeed it is. It really is a wonder.

I recently took a chance and applied the latest Panasonic firmware update, since Smart Viera (streaming apps) wouldn't open until I did. I wanted to enable Hulu (for just long enough to watch "The Handmaid's Tale", which I think was overrated) and Amazon Prime Video. I was praying that the software update wouldn't impact my 2013 D-Nice calibration (which still seems to be perfect, and I haven't felt any need to have it "tweaked"), and it doesn't seem to have had any effect.

I was actually more concerned that moving my input source from HDMI1 to HDMI2 (in order to enable ARC, to feed audio from the Panny's Viera streaming apps out to my AVR) might have some effect. But I had ControlCAL and was able to easily copy the ISF settings to HDMI2, and then it was only fingers crossed that the picture would look just as good even though the original calibration had been done using HDMI1. Sure enough... I again lucked out, and the picture is still perfect.

So 65VT50 pure pleasure still continues. Thanks for asking.

And on a related note, my speaker-less audio enjoyment continues, through my Smyth Realiser A8 headphone setup (using Stax SR-009 phones and SRM-007tII amp, to provide 7.1 SVS "Smyth virtual surround") and Oppo BDP-103. The Head-Fi community (including myself) is anxiously awaiting the upcoming (probably October) first shipments of the brand new Realiser A16. It's a remarkable improvement over the A8, including built-in latest Dolby Atmos and DTS-X A/V codec 7.1.4 decoding capability as well as supporting HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0b, hardware control for two listening users simultaneously, and I bought an Oppo UDP-203 to begin what I need to support my eventual entry into 4K HDR.
JA Fant likes this.
DSperber is offline  
post #8453 of 8482 Old 08-08-2017, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Floydage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,853
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
I did get a discount on the $3500 retail price of the Sampo when I bought it in March 2001. I paid $2750, plus $100 shipping from CA to Dallas, and another $40 for the special "service remote". The poor delivery guys were only supposed to deliver it "to the curb", but I persuaded them to walk it upstairs to my 2nd floor apartment (no elevator!). They had to take it out of the carton in order to make the turn and get it in through my front door and I was terrified it would not make the journey from curb to countertop unscathed. Luckily it escaped unharmed and I got 3 years of pure pleasure out of it.
Wow, $100 for shipment and nice persuasion on the bonus upstairs/precarious delivery! Good purchase discount too for back in the day. But I'm sorry it didn't last longer.
______

Somewhere along the line there was a shift back by WFAA to 1080i. I'm in Fort Worth but didn't get started on any DTV until the CECB era. I believe FOX is the only big boy here currently running 720p.

Glad to hear on the plasma, looked like a darn good choice based on your thorough research. Yeah that's scary on the cal, a lot of time and I suspect money involved. And apparently the HDMI ports are pretty well correlated. I've always liked Panny products. Still made in Japan I suspect.

Interesting on the virtual surround headphone setup as I'd never really thought about it before. And I've heard those Oppos are really nice. Sounds like quite an A/V setup! Is the 65VT50 4K ready?

Floydage is offline  
post #8454 of 8482 Old 08-08-2017, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
DSperber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA, USA
Posts: 5,662
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post
Is the 65VT50 4K ready?
No. Just 1080p. And no plans to upgrade to anything new in the near future, though it will likely be to OLED if/when that time comes. But for now it's my reality.
DSperber is offline  
post #8455 of 8482 Old 08-13-2017, 11:28 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
[
Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by 8086

That sounds very incorrect. DRC is a De-interlacer.

Do you have a Link???


Yes, the DRC (Digital Reality Creation) is basically a de-interlacer for 480i inputs which are upconverted to 480p. 480p is then upconverted by the MID (Multi Image Driver) to 1080i for display.

The schematic of the set clearly indicates that it has a fixed scan rate in that it has a fixed horizontal 33.75KHz oscillator in the horizontal deflection circuit.

I don't have a link but can also quote a Sony DA4 Theory of Operation Training Manual.

"All video processing is performed on the B-board (DRC and MID processing).
The DRC circuit will double the horizontal frequency for input signals with 15.75KHz (NTSC) horizontal inputs. The MID circuit will up-convert the horizontal frequency of the input signal to 33.75KHz, which is the scan rate of the DA-4 and DA-4X chassis. Table 5-2 shows the signal standard and its associate horizontal frequency.

Table 5-2 - Input Signal Standard and Horizontal Frequency
Input Signal Horizontal Frequency
Standard NTSC 480i 15.534KHz
High Resolution 480p 31.5KHz
High Resolution 720p 45KHz
High Resolution 1080i 33.75KHz

The following is a description of the signal flow for each standard listed in Table 5-2:
· 15.734KHz input: DRC circuit up-converts to 31.5KHz and MID circuit up-converters to 33.75KHz
· 31.5KHz input: MID circuit up-converts to 33.75KHz
· 33.75KHz input: XBR, HV pass through MID; HS bypass MID circuit
· 45KHz input: MID circuit down-converts to 33.75KHz

The difference between this set and a conventional set is the horizontal frequency, which is 33.75KHz as opposed to 15.75KHz scan rate in the conventional set. The 33.75Khz scan rate is considered a high definition horizontal scan rate."
This TV always displays everything in 1080i? So it can't do progressive scan? I thought CRTs could do multiple resolutions? If this is true, then I'll be getting rid of my other Sony HD-CRT TVs. I have no use for interlaced only monsters. Thank god I didn't pay anything for them. Now I know why nobody wants so-called HDTV-CRTs.

I found a 960 for a very good price, but I don't think I'll be buying it anymore. 1080i (AKA 540i?) only? No thank you.
JA Fant likes this.
hipper is offline  
post #8456 of 8482 Old 08-13-2017, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JA Fant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Prattville AL
Posts: 1,665
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipper View Post
[
This TV always displays everything in 1080i? So it can't do progressive scan? I thought CRTs could do multiple resolutions? If this is true, then I'll be getting rid of my other Sony HD-CRT TVs. I have no use for interlaced only monsters. Thank god I didn't pay anything for them. Now I know why nobody wants so-called HDTV-CRTs.

I found a 960 for a very good price, but I don't think I'll be buying it anymore. 1080i (AKA 540i?) only? No thank you.
Welcome! hipper
JA Fant is offline  
post #8457 of 8482 Old 08-13-2017, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JA Fant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Prattville AL
Posts: 1,665
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
No. Just 1080p. And no plans to upgrade to anything new in the near future, though it will likely be to OLED if/when that time comes. But for now it's my reality.
DSperber- are you still into ISF calibration?
JA Fant is offline  
post #8458 of 8482 Old 08-13-2017, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Floydage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,853
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipper View Post
[
This TV always displays everything in 1080i? So it can't do progressive scan? I thought CRTs could do multiple resolutions? If this is true, then I'll be getting rid of my other Sony HD-CRT TVs. I have no use for interlaced only monsters. Thank god I didn't pay anything for them. Now I know why nobody wants so-called HDTV-CRTs.

I found a 960 for a very good price, but I don't think I'll be buying it anymore. 1080i (AKA 540i?) only? No thank you.
My Panny 34" HD CRT does 480p. I 'thought' the same for this and many, if not all, others. DSperber replied up above that he once had a Sampo that did 720p.

Floydage is offline  
post #8459 of 8482 Old 08-13-2017, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
DSperber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA, USA
Posts: 5,662
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipper View Post
[
This TV always displays everything in 1080i? So it can't do progressive scan? I thought CRTs could do multiple resolutions? If this is true, then I'll be getting rid of my other Sony HD-CRT TVs. I have no use for interlaced only monsters. Thank god I didn't pay anything for them. Now I know why nobody wants so-called HDTV-CRTs.

I found a 960 for a very good price, but I don't think I'll be buying it anymore. 1080i (AKA 540i?) only? No thank you.
The 960's input electronics support INPUT source resolutions of 480i, 480p30, 720p60 and 1080i source. You cannot feed it 1080p.

And of course, its composite and S-video inputs support only 480i input. For 480p, 720p and 1080i, you must use either its component video input or its HDMI input.

The 960 has a "native resolution" of 1080i. That means it has a maximum of 1080 lines of electron beams projected onto the screen by the electron gun, and that at that maximum resolution there will be alternating "interlaced" sets of the even/odd 540 lines at a time, each set of 540 lines sent out to the screen 30 times per second. A CRT monitor can display an image at any "display (aka "source input") resolution" at or below its maximum "native resolution". The electron beam is "scaled up" if necessary in order to utilize the complete 34" diagonal screen area available for the image being displayed, subject to some service menu adjustable "overscan" around the perimeter designed to reduce negative visual artifacts of projecting the electron beam from a conceptual point source onto a flat rectangular screen. The adjustable overscan "magnifies larger" the actual displayed image typically anywhere from 0-10% to try and eliminate the worst artifacts which appear at the extreme edges of the electron beam image which are now no longer physically visible on the screen.

Because scanline-based CRTs are analog in nature they can vary their display CRTs provide a variability in resolution that fixed resolution pixel-based LCDs cannot provide. The 960 eliminates its "interlaced" function when the input is 480p, so 480p30 input (e.g. from old video games) is presented using 540 display lines (which holds the complete 480 lines of source input) 30 times per second so that there is no visible "flicker" at all. This is what made (and still makes) the 960 desirable for early gamers. As a matter of fact, I was able to sell my own 960 last year (located here in LA) to a buyer in Oklahoma who was willing to pay for crating and shipping (by a mover) halfway across the country, so that he could have this set for him and his son to play old video games on... at a "true progressive 480p" non-flicker no-delay only possible with old analog CRT-based sets.

So you could say 480p30 input is displayed at a "native 480p" within 540 screen lines completely refreshed 30 times per second. Zero flicker. In contrast, the 960 displays the 1080 screen lines of 1080i input exactly as one would expect, namely displaying all 1080 lines of input as two alternating interlaced sets of even/odd 540 screen lines, presenting each set of 540 lines 30 times per second.

720p is obviously its own problem for an analog CRT that has 1080 screen lines to display content and a maximum refresh rate of 30 times per second. My old Sampo set actually had extra electronics in it to provide "native 720p60" HD support. That means (like how 480p is handled on the 960) it would display all 720 lines of source input using the 1080 lines on the screen, refreshing those 720 lines 60 times per second, which is what 720p60 HD demands.

The 960 doesn't contain this electronic capability for "native 720p60" support as it can only refresh the screen 30 times per second. So it converts 720p60 input into 1080i for display, displaying alternating even/odd 360 source input line pairs at a time, within two pairs of 540 screen display line sets, with each alternating set of 540 lines refreshed on the screen 30 times per second. Yes, input 720p60 is accepted, but it is not displayed as true 720p60 like the Sampo did. Instead 720p60 HD input is interlaced by the 960 electronics for presentation, and is displayed as interlaced 1080i.

(I'm pretty sure I've got this right).
JA Fant likes this.
DSperber is offline  
post #8460 of 8482 Old 08-13-2017, 05:48 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
Welcome! hipper
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post
My Panny 34" HD CRT does 480p. I 'thought' the same for this and many, if not all, others. DSperber replied up above that he once had a Sampo that did 720p.
What model HD-CRT do you have?

I should've known Sony would cheap out and not give us progressive-scan (not even 480p) on any of their alleged "HD" CRT TVs.
hipper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off