The Official Kd-34xbr960 Thread - Page 282 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 37Likes

post #8431 of 8438 Old 05-29-2017, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Fletcher View Post
Almost 12 years, and my 960 is still going strong. However, I think it's about to be relegated to a secondary position in the household. I'll need the stand it's using now for its replacement, so I'll need another stand for the 960's new home. It looks like the matching Sony stand (SU-34XBR3) was discontinued long ago, so does anyone have any suggestions as to a currently available, fairly cheap stand that would serve its wedge shape and 200 lbs. of CRT goodness?
It might be best to browse CL for old, deep TV stands that were meant for CRTs. You could pick something up for next to nothing.

I was using this Ikea unit to hold mine up though (my wife got sick of the fake wood paneled CRT stand I was using and wanted something white): http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30269129/ It's rated for 220 lbs, which worked fine. The 960's housing stuck out by about 5 inches, but I never had issues aside from scratching up the surface when I had to take it down. Right now, I just have it on an old stand my father-in-law picked up from the garbage lol. I think that's better. The weight is more safely distributed, and it has a better wood framework at the front for supporting the front glass's weight.
JA Fant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8432 of 8438 Old 05-31-2017, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 454
I,too, have owned my 960N for 13 yrs now. I use a Bell' O stand, very sturdy. Remember this wonderful set is a beast! Get a stand rated for 250 lbs and you will be fine.
post #8433 of 8438 Old 06-02-2017, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Fletcher View Post
Almost 12 years, and my 960 is still going strong. However, I think it's about to be relegated to a secondary position in the household. I'll need the stand it's using now for its replacement, so I'll need another stand for the 960's new home. It looks like the matching Sony stand (SU-34XBR3) was discontinued long ago, so does anyone have any suggestions as to a currently available, fairly cheap stand that would serve its wedge shape and 200 lbs. of CRT goodness?
Don't know how important looks are for you, but I moved my 960 to the bedroom last year on an end table I bought from Salvation Army, and it works fine. The table is an 80's vintage solid wood table. The depth of the table is more than the TV depth, however the ends of the TV overhang by about 3 inches on each side. The TV is stable and there is room underneath if you need to attach some AV accessories. Total cost, 5 bucks.

post #8434 of 8438 Old 06-05-2017, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
After comparing the 960 to the xs955, I have to say the 960 comes out better. I also watch a lot of Laserdisc, and even with the smaller 4:3 window the 960 has the better image.The images come across as slightly sharper, brighter and clearer overall-and the 960 lets me adjust the DRC palette whereas the 955 for some unknown stupid reason does not. Thus the 955 always appears noisy and pixelated in comparison.

Ironically, after doing overscan adjustments, when I set 4:3 letterboxed content to zoom mode on the 960, it again looks BETTER than the 955. When you use such a zoom mode on 4:3 I'd have thought it would cause artifacts or slight resolution loss but it doesn't seem to at all.

Both have aliasing issues which I presume comes from the DRC. I am correct in thinking that there is no way to disable this, nor a particular correct way to set it so that the video is untouched?

I'm limited to SD tests anyway as the HDMI on the 955 is apparently shot and doesn't work at all.
JA Fant likes this.
post #8435 of 8438 Old 06-17-2017, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well the time has come. I'm moving, and the TV can't come with me.

Thus, i'm offering my XBR960 free to AVS members in the South Bay Area. Santa Clara specifically.

Lightly used in the last few years. Needs a little overscan and probably fine pitch work. There is one part of the power cable that isn't pretty, but it isn't chewed through. No scratches on the screen film. Comes with remote and short screw-in HDMI extension. Please let me know if you or someone you know is interested.

I have a stand, but would need some money for that. I'd like to keep it otherwise.
JA Fant likes this.
post #8436 of 8438 Old 06-22-2017, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky11 View Post
Well the time has come. I'm moving, and the TV can't come with me.

Thus, i'm offering my XBR960 free to AVS members in the South Bay Area. Santa Clara specifically.

Lightly used in the last few years. Needs a little overscan and probably fine pitch work. There is one part of the power cable that isn't pretty, but it isn't chewed through. No scratches on the screen film. Comes with remote and short screw-in HDMI extension. Please let me know if you or someone you know is interested.

I have a stand, but would need some money for that. I'd like to keep it otherwise.
sweet pic!
post #8437 of 8438 Old 06-22-2017, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

As above,

captainsolo- the 960/960N was Sony's last excellent CRT. They did not cut any corners on production and performance.
post #8438 of 8438 Old 07-16-2017, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Enjoying another Summer w/ my 960N
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page