The Official Kd-34xbr960 Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #901 of 8169 Old 08-15-2004, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
what you should do is ask for everyone's 960 serial number and whether their set worked or not. Maybe the early batches had a bug in them. Or a certain range of models had some sort of manufactoring defect. It would be interesting to see if the higher serial numbers have less problems.

all products whether its tv or an os will have bugs, especially early in their version life. who knows it could just well be a firmware bug in the tv set itself that needs a simple patch.

remember this set is very very new even though its an upgrade from 910 look how much bugs win2k had over win95 on its "upgrade".

i do hope everyone gets their set worked out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 8169 Old 08-15-2004, 07:47 PM

also in regards to the tuner problem, are you running through a powered indoor ant or outdoor antenna? i think OTA is the most unreliable source for obvious reasons, and it seems like most ppl's problems are with related with OTA.
post #903 of 8169 Old 08-15-2004, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

The antenna has NOTHING to do with it. If it does, why does turning it on and off again fix the problem?
post #904 of 8169 Old 08-15-2004, 08:04 PM

the antenna could be sharing a bad power source with the tv assuming its powered. also you power could be dirty. not enough juice or too much juice getting into ur tv thus the power fluctiations. i know my computers are very sensitive to power i don't see why a tv set with a mobo isn't much different.
post #905 of 8169 Old 08-15-2004, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

Originally posted by bada
At least another 5 years? Damn, didnt think it was that long.

Figured I would point out that he loses an inch in 16:9, since he already finds the set too small.

Also, no firewire in the 955 could be a dealbreaker for some.

These are good points. I think the XS955 is a great set, but I really want the Wide screen, Cable Card, Firewire and oddly enough... something thats not mentioned frequently... the 32 Bit Menus.

I think im going to have to buckle down and give this set a try. I am going to wait a couple of more weeks to see if I can land the KE-32TS2 Plasma for around 2000.00 shipped, but if not I will be purchasing the KD.

Ian.
post #906 of 8169 Old 08-15-2004, 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by juandixon
also in regards to the tuner problem, are you running through a powered indoor ant or outdoor antenna? i think OTA is the most unreliable source for obvious reasons, and it seems like most ppl's problems are with related with OTA.

It's an unpowered indoor antenna; I had the same problem with HD on cable connection too though (also without any amplification). This is exactly the same configuration that I had running for 2 1/2 weeks with the previous XBR960 (which had zero problems with the tuner), so it's definetely the new TV.
post #907 of 8169 Old 08-16-2004, 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by snclawson

I seem to have gotten a set with one of the funky tuner that people have mentioned here though. I didn't do the auto-setup at first (I don't know if that's a factor; I didn't want to wait the 50+ minutes and checked the picture out with the Dish 811 hooked up through HDMI). When I did an auto-program later it couldn't find any of the digital channels (off-air or over cable) and the analog channels looked like complete garbage. However, after turning the tv off and back on they look fabulous and the auto-program found them all. I've had problems once since then when turning on the TV and it couldn't tune in either the off-air or cable HD channels. Turning off the tv and back on fixed it though. If this continues to happen then I'll call Sony up to have them come look at it.

All in all, I'm much happier with the replacement TV; the picture looks great...just in time for the Olympics! =)

Hi there,

My set sounds like a twin of yours. Good geometry, but messed tuner.

I'm trying to figure out what range is serial numbers have this problem (if we can track it down)

My serial is: 80002135

What's yours? I wonder if they're close?

What is the higest serial number anyone has? I'm guessing from the number that I have set #2135 built.

Anyone with good geometry (like mine) but with a good tuner? What's your serial?

MW
post #908 of 8169 Old 08-16-2004, 08:16 AM

Quote:

the antenna could be sharing a bad power source with the tv assuming its powered. also you power could be dirty. not enough juice or too much juice getting into ur tv thus the power fluctiations. i know my computers are very sensitive to power i don't see why a tv set with a mobo isn't much different.

My set does it too.

It powers up about half the time with no HD reception (ATSC tuner). It takes a complete power off and back on to fix it.

My antenna is not powered. My TV is hooked to a 600W UPS. It's not a problem with the power source.

It is a problem with the set. I'm trying to find out the serial number of other TV's with the same problem. Mine is 80002135.

MW
post #909 of 8169 Old 08-16-2004, 08:36 AM

56Oval,

The new TV's serial is 800458X (good picture, bad tuner). The old one (bad geometry, good tuner) was 800353X.

The main difference between the two when I set them up was that on the second set I didn't do the initial auto-program. I noticed that JBW had the same issue with his sets (bad tuner on sets that he didn't do the initial auto-program). How about you? It could just be a coincidence.

I did reset the TV last night (p45 of the manual; turn the TV on, hold down reset on the remote then turn the TV off (on the TV), wait for a bit and then release reset on the remote). This dosen't seem to affect the service menu settings at all, but it does let you run the initial setup again. So I had it auto-program this time. So far I haven't had any problems with the tuner flaking out, but I've only turned the TV on a couple times this morning.
post #910 of 8169 Old 08-16-2004, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

I tried that as well. Reset it, then ran the auto program. That will not fix the problem. In fact, the tuner could not pick up HDTV signals through the auto program. I had to turn it off, then on again to get it to auto program... So what are you going to do people? Keep the set or exchange it for a working one? I decided to actually go the 36XS955 route...
post #911 of 8169 Old 08-16-2004, 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by JamisonBWolsh
I tried that as well. Reset it, then ran the auto program. That will not fix the problem. In fact, the tuner could not pick up HDTV signals through the auto program. I had to turn it off, then on again to get it to auto program... So what are you going to do people? Keep the set or exchange it for a working one? I decided to actually go the 36XS955 route...

Hi Jamison,

I see you preaching the 36XS955 all the time. You said you even have one pre-ordered. I don't have any problem with that, and I myself have even considered the 955 for larger viewing of SD programming.

But my question is: What makes you so sure the 955 won't suffer similar "new model" issues as the 960 does?

You seem to be preaching the 955 as a solution to the problems of the 960. I don't see how this is the case at all.

Perhaps the 955 will have some major problems with the brand new 4:3 tube, or the electronics? Maybe it won't. Dollars to doughnuts it will use the _exact_ same HD tuner, and could suffer the exact same problem.

I just don't think replying to messages about the 960 with "buy the new unreleased unproven 955" is the right message to send.

I think the 955 should be recommended if someone is questioning whether to buy a high-end 4:3 or 16:9 TV.

Not trying to be a jerk, just an observation.

MW
post #912 of 8169 Old 08-16-2004, 09:35 AM

Quote:

56Oval,

The new TV's serial is 800458X (good picture, bad tuner). The old one (bad geometry, good tuner) was 800353X.

The main difference between the two when I set them up was that on the second set I didn't do the initial auto-program. I noticed that JBW had the same issue with his sets (bad tuner on sets that he didn't do the initial auto-program). How about you? It could just be a coincidence.

I aborted the initial auto-setup on my TV when I first turned it on because I didn't have the antenna hooked to it.

I then later ran the auto-program once I had it hooked up.

Let us know how your re-setup goes. That would be sweet if it fixes it all. But I guess that I would be surprised if this would be fix the problem. It seems like some electrical/signal issue with the tuner chip. :-(

MW
post #913 of 8169 Old 08-16-2004, 11:14 AM

So far so good, but then again it wasn't like it was _always_ bad when I'd turn it on, although it does seem to happen mainly after the set had been off for a while. Then again, I've only had it since Saturday afternoon, so I haven't had all that much time with it yet.

Whatever it is, I'll be fixing it through Sony though, as Circuit City dosen't seem interested in helping me out after I returned their overpriced `5-year' service agreement...and of course I'm now past their `30 day' return window (ordered (and paid for!) the set on the 13th of July, but it took until the 27th before they had it in...).

Actually, my recent experience with Circuit City almost was annoying enough to just return the TV and HTIB there and wait out the month and a half until the 36xs955 comes out, but my Fiance would kill me and we're back to the original reason I got the XBR960...it's available now. =) (and the Olympics are on...even with that uber-annoying Sony commercial). I really hope that the 36XS955 dosen't have the same problems as the XBR960, but I'd be inclined to think that it would have _more_ problems, not less. The guts of the TV are probably essentially identical to the XBR960 (ie. new for this year), but the tube is also new. At least I haven't seen a 4:3 super fine pitch tube on Sony Japanese site, so I'm assuming that it's a new tube.

Actually, that brings up another question. Just what is the Japanese model equivalent of the XBR960? Is it the KD-36HR500? I really wish that they sold the KD-36HD900 here. It looks like the old 34" XBR800/HS510, but with a Super Fine Pitch tube.
post #914 of 8169 Old 08-16-2004, 11:31 AM

Seeing that the tuners are a common problem, I am exchanging the tv I got from the CC for another unit. Hopefully this will fix the tuner issues but keep the picture as good as my current one.

As to CC 30-days policy, I was told today that the period starts whenever you get the tv (In my case I paid on 7/17 and got the unit delivered on 7/19). I originally thought of going with their repair service (I got 3 years extended warranty), but at the end decided to exchange it. Try the customer service at the CC you bought the TV.

Mikhail

Quote:

So far so good, but then again it wasn't like it was _always_ bad when I'd turn it on, although it does seem to happen mainly after the set had been off for a while. Then again, I've only had it since Saturday afternoon, so I haven't had all that much time with it yet.

Whatever it is, I'll be fixing it through Sony though, as Circuit City dosen't seem interested in helping me out after I returned their overpriced `5-year' service agreement...and of course I'm now past their `30 day' return window (ordered (and paid for!) the set on the 13th of July, but it took until the 27th before they had it in...).

Actually, my recent experience with Circuit City almost was annoying enough to just return the TV and HTIB there and wait out the month and a half until the 36xs955 comes out, but my Fiance would kill me and we're back to the original reason I got the XBR960...it's available now. =) (and the Olympics are on...even with that uber-annoying Sony commercial). I really hope that the 36XS955 dosen't have the same problems as the XBR960, but I'd be inclined to think that it would have _more_ problems, not less. The guts of the TV are probably essentially identical to the XBR960 (ie. new for this year), but the tube is also new. At least I haven't seen a 4:3 super fine pitch tube on Sony Japanese site, so I'm assuming that it's a new tube.

Actually, that brings up another question. Just what is the Japanese model equivalent of the XBR960? Is it the KD-36HR500? I really wish that they sold the KD-36HD900 here. It looks like the old 34" XBR800/HS510, but with a Super Fine Pitch tube.

post #915 of 8169 Old 08-16-2004, 06:18 PM

Oh well, so much for my theory. I came home tonight, turned the TV on and `No Signal.' Off and back on and it's perfect. Sigh. It actually seems to be more sensitive than the other XBR960 I had, when it does work, which is just bizzare.

Oh well, as far as it goes, I'd much rather have this one that looks great, but requires me to turn it on twice than one that has it's convergence all jacked up. The only thing that scares me is the thought of the Sony tech screwing up the tube if they come in to replace/fix the tuner.

As for Circuit City, I'm sure that I could argue that I never got the TV until the 27th, but since I've already exchanged the TV once and returned the extended warranty, they were considerably less friendly when I picked up the replacement unit and didn't seem interested in helping me out at all. =( I'm sure it didn't help that both the original and replacement unit had to be special ordered.
post #916 of 8169 Old 08-16-2004, 06:20 PM

Oh, at least for the special order, everyone that I talked to at Circuit City claimed that the 30 days starts the day you order the product.
post #917 of 8169 Old 08-16-2004, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

SNCLAWSON, talk to the regional manager. If you keep this set, how do you know the tuner will not "break down" at a later date? If they do a 3rd exchange, make sure you get across that you would like to extend the 30 days. Thats what i did....
post #918 of 8169 Old 08-16-2004, 06:40 PM

Jamison's mention of the 955 made me think about something that I am curious about concerning 16:9 and 4:3 sets.

Ignoring all zoom/stretch modes and viewing 16:9 and 4:3 content in their native mode...

If the 955 has the same 1400 line display as the 960, doesn't that mean that when viewing 16:9 content on the 4:3 monitor you are viewing it on only about 1000 of those lines? The rest are blanked out with the top and bottom bars. (If viewing 4:3 material on a the 4:3 955 set you would of course get all 1400 lines.)

But if viewing 4:3 material on the 16:9 960 monitor (in 4:3 mode), you aren't losing any lines because the 4:3 still fills up all 1400 vertial lines.

Does this sound right to everyone?
post #919 of 8169 Old 08-16-2004, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Very good question.....basically you are saying that viewing 16:9 material on a 4:3 reduces the quality over that of the 16:9 widescreen set? Good question... someone should answer this question.
post #920 of 8169 Old 08-16-2004, 07:27 PM

re: the 1000 line vs. 1400 line question mentioned earlier, on my 27 trinitron (non-hd), there is a mode called 16:9 enhanced. What that does is change the raster of the gun from 4:3 to 16:9, so perhaps the 955 would have this feature, enabling it to draw the 1400 lines in a 16:9 window...

Josh
post #921 of 8169 Old 08-16-2004, 08:53 PM

The 1400 lines is the horizontal resolution, not the vertical resolution. The enhanced mode just squeezes in the vertical direction, so there's no difference between the two sets there. The XBR960 shows the full 1080 vertical resolution for 1080i. The XS955 will still be displaying the same 1080 lines vertically, just compressed into the 16:9 part of the set. With the way the Trinitron aperture grill is designed, there's not really a set vertical resolution for the set (ok, to a point...but the set it made up of vertical slits for Red, Green and Blue), so assuming that the phosphors are the same general size (height) as the XBR960, it should be able to resolve all 1080 lines, since the 16:9 area is pretty similar between the two sets.

Now for 4:3 material, the 36XS955 should have a ridiculous resolution advantage over the 34" sets. Of course you'd have to have a PC hooked up to actually generate a 4:3 signal with that much information. =)
post #922 of 8169 Old 08-16-2004, 10:36 PM

Liked: 11
More bad news with my 34XBR960 today. I've noticed a dark patch on the left hand side of the screen about 1/3 the way up the screen. It looks like it's about an inch or two large and it comes out about just as much. It noticeably darkens the screen in that area. I don't think it was there a week ago. I keep my brightness/picture turned down and am constantly viewing a mix of material, so I really don't think it's any sort of burn in.
post #923 of 8169 Old 08-17-2004, 08:37 AM

first of all - sorry about my rudimentary terminology - I'm fairly new in the world of hi def tv.

Can anyone tell me what 'bad geometry' looks like? I'm not sure if this falls under this category, but I notice that, when viewing 4:3 materials in regular mode, i.e. with vertical black bars on both sides of the pictures, the bars do not appear to be straight. They seem to bow slightly on top.

Also, I notice that when the picture is showing letters or words on screen, there appears to be a thin line that bounds each letter (almost looks like a ghost img or shadow).

Other than that, I cant really complain. I cant check the OTA tuner because of my location (we're on the first floor of a multistory condominium and we're surrounded by other tall buildings). And the DVD pic, I must say, looks incredible (I have a plain ol' Toshiba SD2109 - interlaced pic). For example, I no longer notice any shimmering when viewing images that have cross hatches (e.g. like screen doors).

thx

D
post #924 of 8169 Old 08-17-2004, 08:43 AM

I've had my 960 since July 10. Serial number 8002689. Tuner has worked fine. No problems at all. I bought an HDtivo last week so I'm now using the tivo's OTA tuner and the HDMI input. The 960's tuner has a slightly sharper/cleaner picture then the Tivo's but I'll take that tradeoff for the HD recording capabilities.

I had some geometry issues that could really only be noticed on a 4:3 picture. The right top corner kind of curved. I also noticed that I wasn't getting much overscan. The logo on HDNET was cut off at the "T". I'm no ISF tech, but I went into the service menu yesterday and patched both problems with the geometry settings.

Been watching the olympics and preseason football in 16x9 HD...awesome. Looking forward to watching my Rams in HD on NFL Ticket this season.
post #925 of 8169 Old 08-17-2004, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Acksull
I've had my 960 since July 10. Serial number 8002689. Tuner has worked fine. No problems at all. I bought an HDtivo last week so I'm now using the tivo's OTA tuner and the HDMI input. The 960's tuner has a slightly sharper/cleaner picture then the Tivo's but I'll take that tradeoff for the HD recording capabilities.

Hi Acksull,

Tell me about your HDTivo!! Is it the $1000 DirectTV model with the OTA tuner?

My wife doesn't buy into the whole new HDTV because there is no Tivo functionality. And it hurts me to watch stuff recorded on the Tivo in SD.

Anyhow, sounds like there is no obvious patten to bad tuners. I guess that's good news. I'll start exchanging sets until I get a winner. It's just hauling a 200lb. TV back to the store isn't my idea of fun!
post #926 of 8169 Old 08-17-2004, 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by JamisonBWolsh

Man, I feel really really lucky to have one that has both good geometry and a good tuner. This morning, I turned on my set, and normally I don't have enough signal strength for the HD stations... But it came in crystal clear this morning... right from start up... HD Olympics

I do used an indoor powered antenna, but I'm more than 40 miles from any towers...

I'm keeping it... (and drooling alot)... Tossed in Nemo for the first time last night... and the colors from the coral are incredible. Basic HD Olympics from the swimming pool are outstanding! I knew this was going to happen... now that I have that damn tv, my tv watching time has increased, practically doubled! :P

-C
post #927 of 8169 Old 08-17-2004, 11:11 AM

Quote:

(and the Olympics are on...even with that uber-annoying Sony commercial).

Thank you! I thought I was the only one going to go postal since they show that commercial... that very same commercial every 10 minutes... I'm going nuts! I actually turn to another channel to not have to even hear it anymore.

SONY! If you're listening. Mix it up! Get a second Damn commercial! :P
-C
post #928 of 8169 Old 08-17-2004, 11:17 AM

if you don't mind posting ur serial number maybe u have a later batch?
post #929 of 8169 Old 08-17-2004, 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by daumier
first of all - sorry about my rudimentary terminology - I'm fairly new in the world of hi def tv.

Can anyone tell me what 'bad geometry' looks like? I'm not sure if this falls under this category, but I notice that, when viewing 4:3 materials in regular mode, i.e. with vertical black bars on both sides of the pictures, the bars do not appear to be straight. They seem to bow slightly on top.

Also, I notice that when the picture is showing letters or words on screen, there appears to be a thin line that bounds each letter (almost looks like a ghost img or shadow).

Hey D,

If you can afford it, I cannot recommend strongly enough, get a professional calibrator (sp?). It'll run between $200-$350. I'd ask around to make sure you're getting a really good one.

If you cannot afford it (hey, after blowing ~2k on a TV, maybe now is not that best time to start throwing a few hundred more out the door)... then get a calibration disc, sit down and do it yourself. It'll take a long time but you can clear the ghosting and tighen up the bowing on your own... in the service menu.

I paid, and let me tell you, I'm glad I did. The picture is even better than out of the box (and it was darn good then)...
-C
post #930 of 8169 Old 08-17-2004, 11:21 AM

Quote:

if you don't mind posting ur serial number maybe u have a later batch?

I don't mind posting it, but I don't have a later batch. I was the one of the first to get it in the Bay Area. If anything, I've an earlier batch, and have had it for quiet a while now

-C
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page