The Official Kd-34xbr960 Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1 of 8171 Old 06-01-2004, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thought I would start this thread now that it is officially on the sony site. I will add additional links as they arise to this original post.

Link:http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...XBR960&Dept=tv

Overview
The cutting edge just got sharper with Sony's new KD-34XBR960 34 Super Fine Pitch XBR Television. Featuring a 16:9 Super Fine Pitch CRT, Hi-Scan 1080i display, and Digital REality Creation MultiFunction V1 circuitry, the KD-34XBR960 brings you a true cinema aspect ratio picture that is brighter, sharper and more vivid than ever before.
The KD-34XBR960 also gives you the other high-end features you would expect from a Sony XBR television, such as Cinemotion Reverse 3-2 Pulldown technology, MID® X Multi Image Driver circuitry, and Twin-View two tuner Picture-In-Picture. You can even view your family photos onscreen and listen to MP3 audio with the built-in Enhanced Memory Stick Media slot.

Features

16:9 Super Fine Pitch CRT technology
Hi-Scan 1080i Display
ATSC Integrated Tuner and Digital Cable Ready with CableCARD Slot
DRC® Digital Reality Creation® MultiFunction V1 circuitry
Cinemotion Reverse 3-2 Pulldown Technology
MID® X Multi Image Driver Circuitry
Twin-View Two Tuner Picture and Picture
HD Detailer Wideband Video Amp
ClearEdge VM (Wideband Velocity Modulation Scanning)
Memory Stick® Media Enhanced Playback* (JPEG, MPEG1, MP3)
HDMI Interface
i-LINK®
Super Fine Pitch CRT provides better image detail with high definition sources. The Aperture Grill was improved by making the vertical slits a finer pitch that increases the number of slits by up to 65% (16x9 base). Also improved were the High Precision Deflection Yoke, Fine Focus Electron Gun and the inclusion of higher intensity Luminescent Phosphors. The result is a more detailed image for both moving and still images, higher resolution picture quality, and better edge detail.

Digital REality Creation MultiFunction V1 Circuitry raises standard definition signals to HD quality via a digital bit mapping process, which is user adjustable. The end result? A display of clear, stable images from any video source.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
General:
Power Requirements: AC 120V 60Hz
Dimensions: 39 1/8" x 25 5/8" x 23 7/8" (994 x 652 x 605mm)
Weight: 194 lbs 8 oz (88.2kg)

Inputs and Outputs:
Component Video Input (Y/PB/PR) --- (1080i/720p/480p/480i) 2 Rear
Composite Input --- 1 Front/3 Rear
HDMI --- 1 Rear
S-Video Input --- (with detection) 1 Front/2 Rear
Control S --- 1 Rear
Audio Output --- 1 Rear (Fixed/Variable)
Monitor Output --- 1 Rear
RF Input --- 2 (antennae and cable)
POD Card Slot

Tuner:

ATSC, NTSC
8 VSB
Clear QAM
Seamless Tuning
Digital Cable

Supplied Accessories:

Remote Control (RM-Y200)
AA Battery (2)
Instruction Manual
Optional Accessories
A/V Stand: SU-34XBR1

Audio:

Trusurround Simulated
7.5W x 2 + 15W Subwoofer
Steady Sound® Automatic Volume Control With BBE® Audio Effect
Auto SAP
Audio Output (Variable/Fixed)
MTS Stereo
Speaker On/Off
PCM
AC-3

Convenience:

Auto Channel Program
Caption Vision (CC)
Channel Fix
Channel Label
Channel Skip/Add
Clock/Timer Two Event
Antenna level for DTV
Favorite Channel With Preview
Front Button Menu Control
Picture Freeze
Channel Jump
On Screen Display (English/Spanish/French)
Program Palette (Vivid/Movie/Standard/Sports)
Tilt Correction
Scrolling Channel Index System
Sleep Timer Function
Speed Surf Channel Selection
V Chip Parental Control
Video Label
Wide Modes: (Normal/Full/Zoom/Wide Zoom)
DTV Auto Add
PSIP Program Information

Video:

Dynamic Focus Circuitry
Dynamic Picture Circuitry
Trinitone® Color Temperature
ClearEdge VM (Wideband Velocity Modulation Scanning)
Vertical Aperture Compensation
Vertical Center Adjustment
3 D Digital Comb Filter
Auto Pedestal Clamp
Auto White Balance
High Voltage Regulator
HD Detailer Wideband Video Amplifier
NTSC Color System
ID1 detection
Magnetic Quadruple Pole
Tilt correction
Vertical Correction
Vertical Size Adjustment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8171 Old 06-02-2004, 12:29 PM

Liked: 11
The only problem with this set is the screen is small so the benefits of the uber pitch are rather diminished. Wish Sony would come out with 42" screen - I'd go for it in an instant
post #3 of 8171 Old 06-02-2004, 01:18 PM

Is this TV only 194 lbs like the Sony site says? I thought it was heavier than that. I'm interested in an Ikea stand that can only handle 220 lbs, so that would be an important consideration for me.
post #4 of 8171 Old 06-02-2004, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Sexy!

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #5 of 8171 Old 06-02-2004, 03:54 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:

Originally posted by edstalnaker
Is this TV only 194 lbs like the Sony site says? I thought it was heavier than that. I'm interested in an Ikea stand that can only handle 220 lbs, so that would be an important consideration for me.

194 lbs is probably correct - the current 34XBR910 is just under 200 lbs as well. You might be thinking about the 40" XBR - that monster weighs about 300 lbs!

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #6 of 8171 Old 06-03-2004, 06:21 AM

Thanks to Spider4re for starting this thread. We are all excited about this new tv!

My question is, what is the xy resolution of this tv? According to the info "the result is higher resolution picture quality." Is it possible to quantify this? I know tube TVs are not like digital displays in that there is not a fixed number of pixels... But what about the number of slits in the aperature grill? How many scan lines can it paint, this must be known?... (assuming that it can paint _at least_ 1080 interlaced visible scan lines on the tube)

I think increased resolution could be the most important reason to purchase this TV. But without quantification of what that resolution is, it is difficult to make an objective decision.
post #7 of 8171 Old 06-03-2004, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Buying a new TV is not always objective though Objectivity can narrow down your choices, but like anything in the analog world (our eyes, ears, etc) - it comes down to a subjective choice. Actual number of lines the TV can produce is interesting, but unless it *looks* good, whats the point?

I'm not saying this TV won't look good - I'm sure it will. Just saying there is more to TV shopping than specs .

Who is the more irrational, the man who believes in a God he does not see, or the man who is offended by the God he does not believe in? -Brad Stine
post #8 of 8171 Old 06-03-2004, 12:02 PM

Does anyone have a picture of the rear panel layout?
post #9 of 8171 Old 06-03-2004, 12:21 PM

Will any Ikea stands handle the weight of this TV? It doesn't look like Sony will include the stand for free, so the price will be about the same as the current 910 which they are including the stand with.
post #10 of 8171 Old 06-03-2004, 05:05 PM

Has anyone noticed that there is NO coaxial or optical digital OUT listed in the specifications on the Sonystyle website?

If you use the CableCard technology and feed the signal directly into the monitor, to extract Dolby Digital don't you need some kind of digital output????

Am I missing something???

Hell hath no fury, like a women's scorn for Sega - Broadie.

Segaboy out..........
post #11 of 8171 Old 06-03-2004, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Does anyone have a picture of the rear panel layout?

Sony tech support is going to email me a pdf of the new manual next week and I will post a link to it asap.

Quote:

Will any Ikea stands handle the weight of this TV? It doesn't look like Sony will include the stand for free, so the price will be about the same as the current 910 which they are including the stand with.

Several members who posted in the members gallery have stated that their stands are from Ikea. You might also try a search on EBAY as I have seen many of these stands for sale there. The 960 has the same dimensions as the "old" 910 and the stand stated as an accessory for the 960 uses the same model number as the 910, so it should be a perfect fit.

Quote:

Has anyone noticed that there is NO coaxial or optical digital OUT listed in the specifications on the Sonystyle website?

Tech support is checking on this for me and will get back to me on Monday. They are 100% certain there is a digital output but, they wanted to determine that there is both a coaxial and an optical out.

Cheers!
post #12 of 8171 Old 06-04-2004, 05:00 PM

Silly me, I forgot about the IEEE-1394 (Firewire) connection on the back of the monitor. Hopefully there is two of them.

If you use the Cablecard technology correctly and then use the HDMI connection from your DVD player (example), then you only need a Firewire cable feeding back to your surround sound receiver for DTS, Dolby Digital and PCM from your DVD player and DPL and Dolby Digital from the internal ATSC tuner and Cablecard signal.

Yes? No? Maybe so???

Hell hath no fury, like a women's scorn for Sega - Broadie.

Segaboy out..........
post #13 of 8171 Old 06-04-2004, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I am able to buy 34XBR910 for $1860 including taxes ... Guys what should I do wait for 960 or just grap 910 for that price ASAP ???????????? ahhhhh

Crestron & AMX Programmer. GUI Designer.
post #14 of 8171 Old 06-04-2004, 06:01 PM

I'd certainly wait for the 960 unless you could get the 910 including taxes for less then $1700.... Frankly in my situation, I'd want the 910 to be less then $1600...

The 960's list price is dropping by 300 and arguably it getting 300-400 in improvements(cable card, integrated tuner/hdmi and some picture quality improvments).

IMHO closeout TV sets are usually a bad deal when the model on closeout is being replaced by something significantly better and noticeably cheaper. In terms of picture quality, I doubt the 960 will be that much better but the integrated tuner/cable card/hdmi are big additions. Dealers may take advantage of the consumers that don't know about the upcoming XBR960...

Closeouts can be a very good deal on a set whose replacement is just getting a little bit better and isn't changing in price much.
post #15 of 8171 Old 06-04-2004, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Before I heard about the 960 I was ready to buy the 910. I was quoted a price of $1750.00 w/free delivery (no stand- didn't need it) by a major chain in the ny,nj,ct area. If they were able to offer the 910 to me at that price the 960 should certainly be sold at that price point. Maybe not at first due to initial demand but soon after.

My suggestion is to hold out for the 960. Ya can't beat all those extra goodies!

Cheers
post #16 of 8171 Old 06-04-2004, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Please note that Sony has changed the model # for the 960 stand on their website. The new # is su34xbr3 but Sony does make this reference about the new stand:

Quote:

Designed to match the KD-34XBR960 (also fits the KV-30XBR910 and KV-34XBR910)

If you find an old one it should fit the 960.

Cheers
post #17 of 8171 Old 06-05-2004, 05:17 AM

The 960's cablecard allows you to eliminate the set top box from the cable company, right? This assumes they support the cablecard, which I believe Comcast will be doing soon.

If this is so, I find this feature of the 960 to be a great advantage.
post #18 of 8171 Old 06-05-2004, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Problem is, the Cable card does not support the on-screen guide.... which is a deal breaker for me....

Still buying the XBR 960 though
post #19 of 8171 Old 06-05-2004, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Does the "New" stand look like the 910 stand? or is it a different design?
post #20 of 8171 Old 06-05-2004, 06:31 AM

Could anyone give a short explanation of what the integrated HD tuner means (now and in the future) for me, a DirectTV user (can't give up the NFL ticket)?

If I get DirecTV HD, I need to get their fancy HD dish and some sort of HD-specific STB for DirectTV. Thus, an integrated tuner won't be relevant for me on the DirectTV front (I'm guessing).

However, with the addition of an antenna, would the integrated tuner allow me to pick up the OTA network HD programming, completely separate from whatever is going on with respect to DirecTV? If so, could you (if you're bored) explain how that might work in terms of wiring and the like?

Thanks.
post #21 of 8171 Old 06-06-2004, 03:17 PM

Would the SU-GW1 stand be able to support the weight of the 960? I know it's not as deep, but this stand seems to be the best one out there when it comes to holding all my components.
post #22 of 8171 Old 06-07-2004, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Could anyone give a short explanation of what the integrated HD tuner means (now and in the future) for me, a DirectTV user (can't give up the NFL ticket)?

You will immediately be able to pick up OTA digital stations in your area. If I'm not mistaken, the new D* HD box will have an integrated tuner thus negating the advantage of the integrated tuner. Who knows which tuner will perform better once you have the chance to do an A/B comparison. With both you will need an antenna and the best source to determine which is best for your area is:

http://www.antennaweb.org

To perform your A/B comparison (which is what I think your asking in your last paragraph) you need to split your antenna feed into your D* box and the antenna input on the 960. From the input selection menu you will be able to switch between the two.

Cheers
post #23 of 8171 Old 06-07-2004, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Tomorrow I will post (to the web address at the top of this thread) the new low price of the KD-34xbr960 after I confirm with the dealer the price and details. This deal should set the benchmark.

post #24 of 8171 Old 06-08-2004, 04:41 AM
Advanced Member

can't wait . Tell him you have a lot of friends that will do business with him.. thx

Quote:
Originally posted by spider4re
Tomorrow I will post (to the web address at the top of this thread) the new low price of the KD-34xbr960 after I confirm with the dealer the price and details. This deal should set the benchmark.

post #25 of 8171 Old 06-08-2004, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spider4re
You will immediately be able to pick up OTA digital stations in your area. If I'm not mistaken, the new D* HD box will have an integrated tuner thus negating the advantage of the integrated tuner. Who knows which tuner will perform better once you have the chance to do an A/B comparison. With both you will need an antenna and the best source to determine which is best for your area is:

http://www.antennaweb.org

To perform your A/B comparison (which is what I think your asking in your last paragraph) you need to split your antenna feed into your D* box and the antenna input on the 960. From the input selection menu you will be able to switch between the two.

Cheers

And if one of them would be smart enough to a firewire output you'd be able to watch a show in HD and record one to see later, instead of having to choose which to see in HD and which in crappy video.
post #26 of 8171 Old 06-09-2004, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

New best price is up. Sorry for the delay.
post #27 of 8171 Old 06-09-2004, 09:00 AM

Does this dealer have them in stock yet?

I wonder what shipping would be to Philadelphia.
post #28 of 8171 Old 06-09-2004, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

the dealer does not have them in stock yet but I could suggest two other dealers (both in NJ) that should match that price. Delivery is another story. If you want the info just email me from the website. Don't forget these guys dont charge sales tax.
post #29 of 8171 Old 06-09-2004, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

I bought my HS10 from them .. Great people . I guess Ill be buying xbr960 from them as well lool

As for Tax, if I can get the same price from someone in NJ I will go with them . I think shipping charge will be very close to NJ tax .

post #30 of 8171 Old 06-10-2004, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 66
The integrated tuner will also allow HD P-I-P along with your D* box.

Anyone have an "in-store" date yet? Will BB likely carry it or only CC? (I've got a boatload of BB Gift cards I'd like to use)
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page