post #241 of 254 Old 03-28-2007, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNY View Post

Hi Dondon,

Here's the info as I have it. Samsung has spent 3 months "looking" for proof of this issue and can "find no record of it."

3 months ago I sent them a letter someone else got referencing the firmware upgrade, the case # and executive customer relations person who gave someone else a full refund over the issue, and the instructions that came with the firmware itself. None of that was enough to help Samsung "remember", but as an apology for keeping me waiting so long (and to deny any knowledge of wrongdoing...) they offered me a prorated refund for my set: $550 for a $950 set.

That isn't too bad, considering I've had it for a little over 2 years and it worked just fine when TWC NYC was working properly for most of those two years, and it still works like a champ with my Mac connected via DVI. Samsung also tried to rip me off by offering a new model for $250 (charging me $100 more than the new model price-refund...) that is missing QAM tuning altogether.

I have the firmware as well, drop me an e-mail address and I'll send it to you. I don't know what cable is needed to install it, and I don't know how well it works. What I've read is that it will enable QAM, but channel-changing takes about 30 seconds....

All-in-all, while I'm glad to have this resolved, the general underhandedness of Samsung's cover-up and "forgetting" of the issue along with the completely irresponsible 3 months of waiting (while I was promised on several occasions to "have a resolution by tomorrow, or the end of the week at the latest" that NEVER happened once) means I will avoid all their products like the plague from now on.

If I had the time and a lawyer willing to do it, I'd guess Samsung probably deserves a class-action lawsuit over fraudulent business practices (knowing of a defect; continuing to sell a product with said defect; not notifying owners of said defect; altering advertising, product descriptions, and support to hide said defect; and then denying said defect ever existed). But then again, I'm no lawyer.

Live and learn.

Mike - Thanks for the update. It's pretty shady they way Samsung tried to rewrite history and deny the problem ever existed, but it sounds like you got a pretty good result out of it (albeit with a significant investment of your time).

If I could get Samsung to kick in a few hundred dollars towards my next TV, I would take that in a heartbeat. Maybe I should start pestering their customer service reps. I did call in, got it escalated one level where the guy promised to call me back the next day with more info. Three weeks later he hasn't called, and I haven't followed up, so I share your pain.

This has definitely soured me too on Samsung and their products. It's too bad that most companies haven't figured out that they have the best opportunity to make a significant positive impression when something goes wrong (as compared to when everything flows smoothly). I have had some good experiences with other companies that have really turned me into a loyal customer.

In any case, congrats again on extracting a "settlement" out of Samsung. I am duly impressed. (And in the interests of full disclosure, I am a lawyer, though not a class-action litigator, and my guess is that the $550 refund you got is more than you would have gotten out of any lawsuit.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 254 Old 04-30-2007, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hey Mike and Don -

Just went through the same situation with Samsung regarding my TX-P2675WH that is 2.5 years old and has the issue with the QAM tuner. Being in VT, we were late to market with local HD, and when it came, I got so involved trying to get the antenna to work, that I forgot to check the QAM. And you know what happened when I checked the QAM tuner...

So, I called Samsung and stated that it should work and doesn't, and that others have reported this, etc. I said I wanted to get the update and was told there was none. Guy told me to fax in copies of my receipt, a letter explaining the issue and any links to websites where I read about it. I put it all together and sent it off. Spoke to the Executive Custer Care people where I went back and forth about whether or not there is a firmware fix for the QAM issue. Got the Tech 2 people to finally state there was a fix, but it was hurting more than helping, and that when they got around to making a functioning update, new tv's were coming out so they scrapped it. After going back and forth for a while between the tech and Executive Customer Care people, they finally told me that they would replace my tv with the 2007 TX-T3092 (or 3093, my choice) 30" SlimFit CRT tv at no cost. Typically they said it would cost $180 for an upgrade, plus they wanted to depreciate my tv 20% a year (which I've had for 2.5 years, though this is based off their price, not what you paid). The rep I spoke with was names Steve Perfetto and he was great to work with. His supervisor said that I should have paid the $180 upgrade fee, she couldn't take away what Steve offered me. I recommend calling the ECC line at 1-800-747-5618 and see if you can get to Steve and let him know the situation. Hopefully he can help anyone else out who is just finding out about this know.

Oh, and the replacement TV comes with a 1 year warranty from Samsung.
post #243 of 254 Old 04-30-2007, 01:51 PM

Oh, and by the way they state that the 30" slimfit CRT's (TX-T3092 and TX-T3093) both have QAM tuners eventhough they are not listed in the user manual. I have it in writting from Samsung too, so they better have gotten it right this time...
post #244 of 254 Old 05-01-2007, 12:23 AM

Heck I may call and complain to see what they will do for me. I still have all the paper work. However, it has been about 2 years and it should be out of warranty. I guess its worth a shot though.
post #245 of 254 Old 05-01-2007, 06:20 PM

Glad to hear things are working out for other people!

Companies need to learn that in this day and age they can't put out products that don't work, and if they do that the collective knowledge of the Internet will force them to pay in either reputation or money.
post #246 of 254 Old 05-02-2007, 08:56 AM

So, I got the replacement TV yesterday, but still have some issues. First off, the spec sheet on Samsungs site for the TX-T3092 states 2 RF inputs (for NTSC and ATSC tuners) but the TX-T3092 and 3093 only have one RF input and the engineers told me that I would have th manually flip the cables for when I want to use my HD antenna or my regular cable that comes in through coax. However, all the LCDs and Plasmas have two RF inputs, and the engineer said he thought this was a weird move.

Then, after getting confirmation from Tier II that the unit would have a QAM tuner, I asked again when inquiring about the RF inputs and he asked another engineer and he said that they do not have a QAM tuner in them!! WTF?! How can they have no clue what's going on.

So, they offered me this tv because it was the most "comparable" to my TX-P2675 which had QAM (supposedly) and two RF inputs, and it is clearly not. I am in the process with dealing with them agian and seeing if I can get and LCD out of them as that seems to be the only units that will truly match my specs, but they have been really nasty (don't speak with Grace in ECC; absolutely no help at all and super nasty) aboutreplacing the TV. Even getting the unit I got sounded like it shouldn't have happened without me paying some sort of fee, but the rep I spoke with hooked me up.

But, I feel I have a good case against Samsung with initial false advertising about QAM tuner in my original tv, then false advertising on the new tv with incoorect info coming directly from inside Samsung, and on their website.

If anyone else would like to try and get a new tv from Samsun, call the ECC line and ask for Steve Peretto. He got all this going for me and seems to be very cool. Just cover that you bought the tv for the QAM tuner and otherwise youwould have purchased something else. Play up that fact and hopefully it will work out for you. But as you can see, it never really ends even with gettig a new TV.
post #247 of 254 Old 05-04-2007, 03:44 PM

I went back to battle with Samsung for a few more days and was able to get them to offer me an LN-T2642 26" LCD at no cost. But it was not an easy battle.

After many hours on the phone with ECC and the TierII support, I finally broke them down. My biggest gripe with this whole ordeal is that Samsung considered the TX-T3092 CRT tv as a "comparable" unit to my presious one. Well, in essence, it was. I will explain...

Before agreeing to the TX-T3092, I had the rep confirm it had a QAM tuner. He confirmed and stated even though its not advertised to have a QAM tuner, it did. Well, after I got it delievered and found that it only had one RF tuner instead of two as advertised, I had the Tier II rep ask again, and was told no. At that point I figured this was a good in to try and get an LCD as I had attempted before, but was told I'd have to pay a $375 upgrade fee for the LN-T2642 and they take the old tv away. Not a good deal I felt. Well, low and behold the TX-T3092 actually does have a working QAM tuner!!! Which is sort of funny that a tv with an advertised QAM tuner didn't work and one without an advertised tuner does work! That seems like a good argument in itself.

So, I went back to Samsung and told them that the definition of "comparable unit" was not upheld with the TX-T3092 and stated that with all the misinformation provided to me, and that I had to take my personal time to train your staff, that I feel you need to offer me an truly comparable unit for free. It took me days and dozens of phone calls to try and get some response. I ended up working with a rep named Gwen who, in the end, was finally able to offer me the 26" LCD to replace the TX-T3092 that was just delivered.

I also emailed her boss's boss (or someone high up) several times indicating the issues at hand the misinformation being provided across the board at Samsun. I of course received no response from him, but I have a feeling that helped matters greatly. I have since emailed him to "thank" Samsung for helping me out. I figured I mind as well be nice in the end in case the black list me from calling back someday (hee hee hee). I feel like Paris Hilton - I was so annoying they just paid me to go away.

I will update when I get the new unit (hopefully next week). The trucking company (NVC) they used to deliver the previous set was very fast; took about 3 days frmo when they picked up the unit over 1000 miles away from my house.

Anybody else having these issues or any luck working with Samsung? I'm happy to give more specifics or contacts if you are having these problems.
post #248 of 254 Old 06-06-2007, 04:09 PM

I just came across the issue and gave Samsung a call. I tried to speak with Steve Perfetto, but was informed that he is no longer with the company. After speaking with a Tier 2 rep and then a ECC rep, I was (eventually) informed that the QAM in this model (mine is a TXP3271H) does not work.
post #249 of 254 Old 06-22-2007, 09:56 PM

I reviving this thread for some help...

I had to do some major altering to the TV settings under the Service Menu (Mute, 1, 8, 2, Power). Unfortunately, my newly custom settings is only good for my PS3 games and made every other input way off. I messed with various numbers because I saw a reset all option. Well it doesn't wipe any changes I made. So I'm stuck with my custom numbered setup.

My quest for help is for anyone who hasn't changed their default numbers in the service menu. Can you post what your number are? You don't even have to label the settings, I'll assume they are in sequence

TIA,
Kdogg
post #250 of 254 Old 07-07-2007, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Does anyone know if there is a way to make this set display whether the current content is 480p/720p/1080i?

I have a PS3 now, so I guess I do have Blu-ray. ;)
post #251 of 254 Old 07-26-2007, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnnDunn View Post

Does anyone know if there is a way to make this set display whether the current content is 480p/720p/1080i?

Unfortunately, no. Most HD TVs will give information about the inputted signal but this one does not. Why is this important to you?
post #252 of 254 Old 07-26-2007, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-SVT View Post

Unfortunately, no. Most HD TVs will give information about the inputted signal but this one does not. Why is this important to you?

To settle an argument. Petty, but hey...

I have a PS3 now, so I guess I do have Blu-ray. ;)
post #253 of 254 Old 09-20-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinm0 View Post

Hey Mike and Don -

Just went through the same situation with Samsung regarding my TX-P2675WH that is 2.5 years old and has the issue with the QAM tuner. Being in VT, we were late to market with local HD, and when it came, I got so involved trying to get the antenna to work, that I forgot to check the QAM. And you know what happened when I checked the QAM tuner...

So, I called Samsung and stated that it should work and doesn't, and that others have reported this, etc. I said I wanted to get the update and was told there was none. Guy told me to fax in copies of my receipt, a letter explaining the issue and any links to websites where I read about it. I put it all together and sent it off. Spoke to the Executive Custer Care people where I went back and forth about whether or not there is a firmware fix for the QAM issue. Got the Tech 2 people to finally state there was a fix, but it was hurting more than helping, and that when they got around to making a functioning update, new tv's were coming out so they scrapped it. After going back and forth for a while between the tech and Executive Customer Care people, they finally told me that they would replace my tv with the 2007 TX-T3092 (or 3093, my choice) 30" SlimFit CRT tv at no cost. Typically they said it would cost $180 for an upgrade, plus they wanted to depreciate my tv 20% a year (which I've had for 2.5 years, though this is based off their price, not what you paid). The rep I spoke with was names Steve Perfetto and he was great to work with. His supervisor said that I should have paid the $180 upgrade fee, she couldn't take away what Steve offered me. I recommend calling the ECC line at 1-800-747-5618 and see if you can get to Steve and let him know the situation. Hopefully he can help anyone else out who is just finding out about this know.

Oh, and the replacement TV comes with a 1 year warranty from Samsung.

Hey, hows the tv working? can you put 2 & 2 together by the user name? hope all is well, and thanks for the kind words....and my months later responce lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldarus View Post

I just came across the issue and gave Samsung a call. I tried to speak with Steve Perfetto, but was informed that he is no longer with the company. After speaking with a Tier 2 rep and then a ECC rep, I was (eventually) informed that the QAM in this model (mine is a TXP3271H) does not work.

Yeah was dissappointing to get let go of from a company i was with for 3+ years like that, especially when i was in the middle of dealiing with alot of people and their problems like martinm0 was having and a few other people. I hate leaving thing unfinished like that.

on a side note..kinda weird i was bored and googled myself to see what came up and i found this. at least someone knows that i know what im talkin about, not like the people who are in the hlt5087 thread
post #254 of 254 Old 09-20-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinm0 View Post

It took me days and dozens of phone calls to try and get some response. I ended up working with a rep named Gwen who, in the end, was finally able to offer me the 26" LCD to replace the TX-T3092 that was just delivered.

lol one of the very few people who actually was happy with the outcome of working with that rep....she is the reason i am no longer with samsung

but i am now with J&J international, samsungs parts distributor, so if you need any parts feel free to contact me
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page