Sony Qualia 015 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-04-2004, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have any specifications on this $11,000 monster? I would hope that it will at least support 720p...maybe 1080p?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-05-2004, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 546
"Sony Qualia 015

The 015 is a 36-inch monitor in which Sony uses thermal transfer films that were printed by laminating the color filter and phosphorus to allow the monitor to thermally transfer pictures directly to the glass of the CRT's front panel."

And if you can read Japanese... http://www.sony.jp/CorporateCruise/P...0306/03-0610D/
post #3 of 4 Old 07-05-2004, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I saw one of these a year ago at the Sony Building in Tokyo. they had a couple of these on display (and when I say "display", I mean in an audition room with a dedicated employee running the set).

Anyway, I wasn't impressed. I mean, the images did look good. But, hte visual image didn't look any better than the XBR910, in my opinion. And remember that it's really a 34" 16:9, just like we get in the US. (Outside the US, manufacturers are allowed to count the total size of the tube, including the non-visible areas behind the plastic bezel).

It has a different case, and basically it sits on a swivel stand like a computer monitor (CRT). Also has big speakers attached to the sides. Sony expects you to sit this TV on the floor, and use the swivel stand to angle the TV so that it faces up to your viewing position. Frankly, I could not understand why anyone would pay $11k for a TV and then put it on the floor.

The remote was the best part of the TV - really expensively built, although nothing new in terms of features.

Nothing I could see on this set made me jealous one bit... I think the whole Qualia thing is kind of to not just get the electronics themselves, but to have a dealer experience like buying a luxury car...

In contrast, even a year ago they had the Sony BlueRay DVD players all over the building, and the rolling demos from these discs on their large plasmas WAS very impressive. But the same BlueRay discs on the Qualia looked excellent, but not any better than broadcast HDTV on a XBR910, IMHO...
post #4 of 4 Old 07-05-2004, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page