post #901 of 965 Old 08-16-2010, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LodeRunner View Post

But there are several posts in this thread that referred to "displayed resolution", as differentiated from input resolution. I am aware that this set *can* do upconversion but I was under the impression that (like its venerable widescreen brother the 34XBR960) it supported multiple native resolutions.

There is a lot of misinformation on the internet. All of the Sony crts, XBR800 thru XBR970, including the XBR960, have the DA4 chassis. Sony's DA4 technical documentation, as well as my bench testing, indicates the DA4 chassis scans at a fixed horizontal scan rate of 1080i. All input resolutions, except 1080i, are converted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LodeRunner View Post

In particular, it is pointed out that 1080i signals on this model are always displayed in widescreen (with horizontal black bars; however no scan lines are "wasted" on rendering those black bars), whereas SD sources use all of the screen real estate. 1080i in full screen makes no sense, because (interlaced controversy notwithstanding) HD formats are defined as having an aspect ratio of 16:9, not 4:3. Therefore, if it is NOT displaying 480p signals natively, we must beg the question: what exactly is it doing? Standard 1080i simply will not fill a 4:3 screen evenly, although it is quite possible that it is upconverting to some other resolution.

It always scans 1080 interlaced lines. For 4:3, the 1080 lines are distributed across the entire vertical span of the tube. For 16:9, the 1080 lines are compressed vertically to create a 16:9 ratio window. BTW, theoretically, one could, thru the service menu, force an HD signal to fill the 4:3 screen vertically, though there would be a tremendous amount of overscan to get good geometry.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 965 Old 08-17-2010, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

The misinformation you discuss is not his discussion of what is in this thread which you initially quote from Loderunner - but in his interpretation of what that means (second quote). The set supports multiple input resolutions and displays them accordingly; eg 480i and 480 p will get full screen 4:3; whereas a 1080i or 720p input signal gets the scan compressed vertically into the 16:9 aspect ratio, and the set will not handle 1080p input

Most people don't care whether the TV scans at 1080i or natively for 480i or 480p material (but they would loath seeing the set resolve the 480 lines if it weren't upscaled to a higher scan rate) - but where this is a constant downer for this set is when 4:3 material is embedded in an HD signal. You are better off watching in this case with the source output set to 480p or i or via the s-video path as the set will significantly overscan if you adjust to full screen with the zoom control. And I presume I am in the majority in not wanting to adjust zoom through the service menu when in fact the factory settings are quite good for 480 4:3 input viewed that way instead of embedded pillar boxed in an HD signal, resulting in a postage stamp when the display for the particular show should be full-screen 4:3.
post #903 of 965 Old 09-07-2010, 11:52 AM

Recently purchased a 2004 manufactured 34xs955. Has anyone experienced the following with any of the similar models?

I have TV hooked to an OTA Antenna. I turn the TV on & no picture. I can change the channels, push all the buttons & still no TV.

I turn the TV off & on again & the pictute appears & everything works normal.

Can anyone explain what's happening?
post #904 of 965 Old 09-08-2010, 07:29 AM

Does this happen every time? I use an OTA antenna for HD and can switch to antenna from the DirecTV feed by simply pushing the ANT button on the remote.

However, I have had occasional issues where the screen will stay dark when I turn on the TV. I end up having to unplug the TV and that usually fixes it. This has been a rare and random thing however. For a while I thought it might be from using the push button on/off button on the set instead of the remote power button, some switch electrical connection glitch, but that doesn't seem to be it. Hasn't happened for quite a while now though.
post #905 of 965 Old 09-08-2010, 10:26 AM

Yes, happens every day.

Yesterday, I turned it on with the remote, no signal & then turned it off. After few minutes turned it on again with the remote & the broadcast picture was on.

After about 15 minutes I turned it off & then on & was still working as normal.

I also did auto scan for air & noticed that it did not pick any analog channels & 11 digital ones. On my 34xbr960 that is hooked up to the same roof OTA I get 5 analog & 11 digital channels.

Wondering if the tuner on the 34xs955 is the culprit.
post #906 of 965 Old 10-07-2010, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the response and & I will have to read the thread & educate myself. I like the picture & sound of both my 34xbr960 & 34xs955 & am going to try to keep them alive as long as I can.
post #907 of 965 Old 10-24-2010, 05:05 PM

Well, my beloved 36xs955 finally died this weekend. The seven blinks makes me confident that it's the DZ board. I'm in Northeast Ohio if anyone is interested in taking on this project. Just PM me and we can work something out. It's been a terrific television...too bad it couldn't last more than 6 years on it's original parts.
post #908 of 965 Old 02-28-2011, 09:53 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumbles View Post

Well, my beloved 36xs955 finally died this weekend. The seven blinks makes me confident that it's the DZ board. I'm in Northeast Ohio if anyone is interested in taking on this project. Just PM me and we can work something out. It's been a terrific television...too bad it couldn't last more than 6 years on it's original parts.

Mine died yesterday morning. I've had it for 6 years and 1 month. It's been an awesome set this whole time. I'm not in a position to get a new one right now and would like to get mine fixed if I can.

I'm pretty sure that I counted six blinks through my tears.

I did some searching and it looks like it may be the DZ board. Has anyone had it replaced? What was the cost? Is it worth fixing?

The wife and I discussed it and we're not going to get it fixed. I can't see tossing it out and reading about the do-it-your-selfers who are fixing the sets I'd like to give it to anyone who wants it. I don't want any money for it. I'm in southern California. You gotta pick it up.

Thanks!
post #909 of 965 Old 05-27-2011, 07:50 AM

A very quiet thread but I hope one of the experts responds.

Once I am in the service menu, how do I fix the overscan of the 16:9 portion within the 4:3 screen of the broadcast picture?
post #910 of 965 Old 05-27-2011, 01:20 PM

Liked: 11
Your TV is a 4:3 that shows 16:9 signals. By overscan, do you mean to say that when you are in HD or on a 16:9 signal, you are missing some information? in the service menu, there is HSIZ that adjusts horizontal width. Here's a site that shows all the service menu options.
http://www.orpheuscomputing.com/tech...ml#SONYSET_019
But I should say that you should not try messing with the service menu unless you know what you are doing. A too low horizontal width can blow the horizontal output transistor.
post #911 of 965 Old 05-28-2011, 09:23 AM

IIRC, in MID3, look for items 0-3. These adjust the non-480i signals within the raster. Don't change anything else in this category! Record your original values just in case.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassiji View Post

A very quiet thread but I hope one of the experts responds.

Once I am in the service menu, how do I fix the overscan of the 16:9 portion within the 4:3 screen of the broadcast picture?

post #912 of 965 Old 05-28-2011, 02:08 PM

neccrttv

I have already done the HSIZ etc & am happy with my settings.

txsmoke

I don't see IIRC choice in MID3?

Attachment 213213
LL
post #913 of 965 Old 05-28-2011, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jassiji View Post
I don't see IIRC choice in MID3?

Attachment 213213
IIRC is short for, "If I ReCall...", in the posting world, and not a choice in a menu.
post #914 of 965 Old 05-28-2011, 07:17 PM

LOL..... I made you post your 2594 post in the posting world @ AVS
post #915 of 965 Old 05-29-2011, 02:13 PM

That helped but there is still overscan within the raster. Is raster the black bars above & below?
post #916 of 965 Old 05-29-2011, 04:11 PM

Can you explain exactly what you are trying to do? (Such as) Shrink the picture to get all the info available that the network is transmitting, or hide the flickering white marker line at the top of the picture that the closed captioning is embeded in?
post #917 of 965 Old 05-30-2011, 09:11 AM

While watching a 16:9 broadcast, I am trying to get the maximum picture available that I can fit within the widescreen portion of the screen.

I know a little bit of picture is missing on all sides as I have an Olevia 747 placed next to the Sony for comparison.
post #918 of 965 Old 07-18-2011, 07:47 PM

I am wanting to stream movies from my pc to my Sony KD-36XS955 TV utilizing my home entertainment system - what type of cable due I use and how do I make this connection to maximize my sound system with teh streaming through my PC? Any help would be appreicated.
post #919 of 965 Old 08-06-2011, 07:09 PM

I'd like to buy one of these sets. I live in Colorado. If you're looking to get rid of yours, please let me know by sending me a message or just replying to this thread. Thanks.
post #920 of 965 Old 08-06-2011, 07:10 PM

irish-buck, I would use the HDMI input in the back of the TV to stream from your PC. You'll get the best resolution that way, and you can either use the TV for your speakers or output to your surround system through the TV.
post #921 of 965 Old 08-07-2011, 05:50 AM

Yea- HDMI to the TV and run digital audio from the PC to the theater system and/or run digital optical out from the TV to the HT. Either connection should do the job. PC to HT is probably the way to go unless you are using the TV for selecting sources.

If you are using an antenna to get HDTV off the air, you will need the connection from the TV to the HT to get 5.1 sound.

Set the resolution to 1080i or 720p. The TV can't do 1080p.

Mike
post #922 of 965 Old 08-07-2011, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsmoke View Post

Yea- HDMI to the TV and run digital audio from the PC to the theater system and/or run digital optical out from the TV to the HT. Either connection should do the job. PC to HT is probably the way to go unless you are using the TV for selecting sources.

If you are using an antenna to get HDTV off the air, you will need the connection from the TV to the HT to get 5.1 sound.

Set the resolution to 1080i or 720p. The TV can't do 1080p.

Mike

I don't believe the HDMI passthrough TV to receiver using digital audio out from TV works - so I only use the digital audio direct to receiver and listen via either the receiver (if show is DD or audio quality matters or using TV speakers from HDMI for routine viewing)

The digital out from TV to receiver is still needed for TV viewing on sources using the TV's tuner; either OTA or cable (note for cable Verizon (FIOS) has formally abandoned support for single channel cable cards so QAM viewing may be limited to unencrypted channels and whatever analog is provided
post #923 of 965 Old 11-01-2011, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

KD 36xs955 If someone wants a free tv contact me so it can be picked up in Rockville MD before I take it to the landfill this weekend.

Great tv for around 6 years - but got the 6 blinks a couple weeks ago. Replaced the two ICs (same model in set as the current ones from TSM) - no joy still 6 blinks followed by 7. I thought about trying the additional parts recommended by TSM but TV doesn't fit in current room anyway so will forgo trying the capacitors and fuse recommended.
tristatemodule
post #924 of 965 Old 11-04-2011, 12:11 PM

I'm currently using swivel stand for a different lighter model 36" Sony TV (Current stand was sold out when bought in 2006, that is not quite deep enough to support the depth of my tv, and states it can handle up to 220 lbs. I think this one is 240 lbs. Maybe that is why it creaks every once so often. I may be interested in that stand if you have not already thrown away. I had the same problem with mine a year ago, but had a extended warranty. Technician came to house and replace a board at no cost. Replacement looked complicated but he was done within an hour. I am not anywhere near you, but may have someone close that would pick it up.
post #925 of 965 Old 11-05-2011, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I had that 5 yr warrantee also but it ended this past summer. TV was still outstanding until I got the 6 blink power issue, which did not go away when I replaced the ICs. My replacement plasma (Samsung PN5908000) is coming next Monday and they are going to haul away the beast (so if someone wants for parts or to attempt a repair reply ASAP).

On the stand - I am currently planning on trying out the plasma in different locations before finalizing or wall mounting it - and will use the SONY stand for that excercise. So it will be available but in a little while. I will pm you then since you asked first to see if still interested or offer to someone else before getting rid of stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieThump View Post

I'm currently using swivel stand for a different lighter model 36" Sony TV (Current stand was sold out when bought in 2006, that is not quite deep enough to support the depth of my tv, and states it can handle up to 220 lbs. I think this one is 240 lbs. Maybe that is why it creaks every once so often. I may be interested in that stand if you have not already thrown away. I had the same problem with mine a year ago, but had a extended warranty. Technician came to house and replace a board at no cost. Replacement looked complicated but he was done within an hour. I am not anywhere near you, but may have someone close that would pick it up.

post #926 of 965 Old 01-09-2012, 09:31 AM

I'm likely moving this year, and since it will be more hassle to move it to the new place, I am ready to find my KD-36XS955 a new home where it will be loved.

Here are the details:
-- Put into service in November 2005. Served as primary TV till August 2009, when it was sent to the basement. Now gets about 5 hrs of use a week.
-- Still works great. Currently running with a Comcast cablecard. Serious shoppers can test it for as long as they wish in its current location.
-- Located in the Chicago area.
-- Available for pickup only, so bring your biggest, beefiest friends to haul it out. Professionals never had a problem moving it, but keep in mind it needs to go up a flight of stairs and around one tight turn on the way out.
-- Black corner swivel stand and TV top shelf to support center channel speaker come with it for free. Stand nicked up a bit from moves, but still does the job.
-- Looking to get $300 for it.

PM if interested or if you have any questions. Will try to update this thread if sold or plans change. Otherwise, consider it still available if you're reading this now.
post #927 of 965 Old 01-09-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betz View Post

I'm likely moving this year, and since it will be more hassle to move it to the new place, I am ready to find my KD-36XS955 a new home where it will be loved.

Here are the details:
-- Put into service in November 2005. Served as primary TV till August 2009, when it was sent to the basement. Now gets about 5 hrs of use a week.
-- Still works great. Currently running with a Comcast cablecard. Serious shoppers can test it for as long as they wish in its current location.
-- Located in the Chicago area.
-- Available for pickup only, so bring your biggest, beefiest friends to haul it out. Professionals never had a problem moving it, but keep in mind it needs to go up a flight of stairs and around one tight turn on the way out.
-- Black corner swivel stand and TV top shelf to support center channel speaker come with it for free. Stand nicked up a bit from moves, but still does the job.
-- Looking to get $300 for it.

PM if interested or if you have any questions. Will try to update this thread if sold or plans change. Otherwise, consider it still available if you're reading this now.

Good luck with that. I bought two over the past year and a half. I paid $150 for one and $100 for the other, both through craigslist.

TLK
post #928 of 965 Old 01-30-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I found one here with stand for 40 bucks....
post #929 of 965 Old 02-01-2012, 08:35 AM

A 34" popped up in central Indiana on CL for $125 without the stand. I have a 970 that is working wonderfully, I'm tempted even though I don't have space to store one or the other...
post #930 of 965 Old 02-03-2012, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwine3 View Post

A 34" popped up in central Indiana on CL for $125 without the stand. I have a 970 that is working wonderfully, I'm tempted even though I don't have space to store one or the other...

These sets are 36", not 34".

HTH.

TLK
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page