The OFFICIAL KD-36XS955 Thread... - Page 32 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #931 of 965 Old 03-05-2012, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Picked up, 'loose definition' one to replace my old timer Sharp 27" crt. Gonna go with it till it dies.

$70

My god. Not major issue other than my arms being too weak to safely lift the load to the final spot on a stand. I had to assist what I could in the middle underneath and pinched a finger nail a bit on landing.

What are some recommended ball park settings? I found a guys for his DVD player here but not much else.

U-verse via HDMI.

I also have a vanilla RCA hookup for a old Zen Vision M and S-Video for SNES.

The thing I noticed 1b over the old sharp was the sound. The difference is huge. I think the simulated surround setting was on. Works pretty good.

How do I wipe the screen clean? It is a bit dirty? I got some of those sealed eye-glass clothes. Or just a super soft cloth and some water?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 965 Old 03-31-2012, 09:47 PM

I tried searching but couldn't find the info. I came upon one of these TV's in an unfortunate way (grandfather died). Have no use for the tv. Only me and my girl live here and we have 2 tv's already that are both better than this one. I was actually surprised there was a thread this big about an old crappy crt.

Anyways info i was wondering about is what the black level reads on this tv on an ansi pattern and what is its ansi contrast ratio. The blacks do look quite dark on this sony. Also is it just me or does the whole picture seem really dim and if you try to brighten it it raises the blacks quickly? Is the picture dim because im used to samsung full array LED LCD's? Or is the picture just kinda dim (if you set it so the blacks are as dark as they can get) it's like overall brightness seems to suffer to get pure inky blacks.

Decade after decade of tvs being made and we still cant make the perfect screen
post #933 of 965 Old 03-31-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperVisor View Post

Picked up, 'loose definition' one to replace my old timer Sharp 27" crt. Gonna go with it till it dies.

$70

My god. Not major issue other than my arms being too weak to safely lift the load to the final spot on a stand. I had to assist what I could in the middle underneath and pinched a finger nail a bit on landing.

What are some recommended ball park settings? I found a guys for his DVD player here but not much else.

U-verse via HDMI.

I also have a vanilla RCA hookup for a old Zen Vision M and S-Video for SNES.

The thing I noticed 1b over the old sharp was the sound. The difference is huge. I think the simulated surround setting was on. Works pretty good.

How do I wipe the screen clean? It is a bit dirty? I got some of those sealed eye-glass clothes. Or just a super soft cloth and some water?

I've always used windex and a cotton cloth rag to clean crt's. Since they are glass and it's a glass cleaner
post #934 of 965 Old 04-17-2012, 10:07 PM

Still enjoying this set and just got around to buying a Home Theatre receiver and surround speakers. Question is does the HDMI in this set support ARC?...Audio Return Channel. I'm hooking up a Onkyo HT-RC360 which supports this. My Sony manual on page 15 mentions under HDMI ",plus two-channel digital audio". Is this the same thing as ARC? Is this HDMI-2? The set-up section later in the manual seems to imply the optical digital audio cable is needed.

About to order some HDMI cables online and just wondering if I need to get an optical audio cable and hook it up in addition to the HDMI cable from the receiver.

Thanks in advance for any help/info. The shape of my built in family room cabinet fits this TV perfect so plan to keep it till it dies. Plus like the fact that balls and toys flying through the air by my kids don't phase the screen!
post #935 of 965 Old 04-17-2012, 10:16 PM

I should probably mention the set-up planned though it is pretty simple.

DirecTV Sat/DVR to Surround Receiver via HDMI
DVD player to Receiver via HDMI
Receiver to TV via HDMI

Anything else needed? Optical audio from TV to Receiver?
post #936 of 965 Old 05-22-2012, 09:08 AM

I have the subject TV available. It is in excellant condition and the picture is suberb. I wanted 16:9 aspect but don't want to sacrifice picture quality too much so I decided on a Sony XBR-46HX929. the Sony has a tough act to follow.

I'm in Massachusetts. Contact me if interested 508 243 7903.
post #937 of 965 Old 06-02-2012, 12:01 AM

Hi! I've got one of these 36XS955 sets available as well. Great picture. I'm in Los Angeles. Call or text at 31O-591-6159 if you're interested. Thanks!
post #938 of 965 Old 07-17-2012, 10:31 AM

A few weeks ago my Sony kd-36xs955 stopped displaying some, but not all of my HDMI sources. I have a 5 port switch going into the 955, and now only my DVR and Oppo DVD player will display. My PS3, Panny Blu-Ray and Toshiba HD-DVD player won't. The HD-DVD player is really strange since it actually shows the boot-up logo and "reading" graphic, but then goes blank.

I've swapped out cables, bypassed the port switcher, unplugged the TV all to no avail. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thx.
post #939 of 965 Old 07-24-2012, 12:59 AM

I have a Sony kd-30xs955 in the Rochester, NY area if anyone is interested. Text me at 585-261-0056... In perfect condition. Display is like the first day I got it... never had a repair or adjustment since. hate to let it go but need a bigger screen as my vision gets older... no place to put this one...
post #940 of 965 Old 11-24-2012, 03:33 PM

(Deleted)
post #941 of 965 Old 12-14-2012, 09:30 AM

Is there any resale value for these tvs? I have a 34xs955 and I am trying to figure out if I should take it to the desert for some good old fashion gun fun, or if some folks are still interested in these?
post #942 of 965 Old 01-15-2013, 03:32 PM

I don't think there's much resale value. Take it to Best Buy. They will recycle it for free.
post #943 of 965 Old 01-15-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Might get $50-100 especially if that model has the built-in DTV tuner and HDMI. Remote control for that model and a stand would help. Bonus if you're willing to help load it.

I wonder about the Best Buy recycle on those as they only state free up to 32" but I think that's in reference to a 4:3 TV; might be able to talk them into it based on weight since I think some 32" 4:3s might weigh that much. Of course I wheeled some stuff into one near me once and nobody even checked it out, a gal just pointed me where to leave it. Then there's local municipality recycle, probably not as picky.

post #944 of 965 Old 01-18-2013, 05:12 PM

Mine dies about 6 months back. I contacted Best Buy and the 32" policy was no longer. Also- they did not charge the $10 fee with the free $10 gift card given back, either. I simply pulled up in front and walked inside to ask for help unloading. A couple guys came out, unloaded it out of the back of the truck and walked inside with it. No questions, no hassles.

I am guessing that the rush to recycle CRT TVs has ended and they have relaxed their policies in response to lower demand for stockroom floorspace.

Mike
post #945 of 965 Old 02-13-2013, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I've got the 34XS955 (the 36 incher's widescreen brother). It still displays great, the cablecard slot functions well (love the dual independent tuners) and I have the official stand and remote. The unit has been calibrated and service menu has been adjusted. I use it with a DVDO Edge scaler/de-interlacer, Oppo DV-980H DVD player and Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver. We also have a Media Center extender hooked up as a DVR playback device. It is our "casual TV" for news, old DVDs and classic (standard definition) gaming systems (Nintendo, SNES, Wii, etc.). The TV still works wonderfully but we are about 9ft away and I'm pining for a nice 50" plasma. What do you guys think? Could I get anything for this beautiful beast or should I just use it until it dies? I have a decent power conditioner (3500 MKkII) so perhaps that has aided in the TV's longevity (bought in 2005)?

"glittering prizes and endless compromises..."

Sony Super Fine Pitch CRT for Sale

post #946 of 965 Old 02-13-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilPeart View Post

I've got the 34XS955 (the 36 incher's widescreen brother). It still displays great, the cablecard slot functions well (love the dual independent tuners) and I have the official stand and remote. The unit has been calibrated and service menu has been adjusted. I use it with a DVDO Edge scaler/de-interlacer, Oppo DV-980H DVD player and Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver. We also have a Media Center extender hooked up as a DVR playback device. It is our "casual TV" for news, old DVDs and classic (standard definition) gaming systems (Nintendo, SNES, Wii, etc.). The TV still works wonderfully but we are about 9ft away and I'm pining for a nice 50" plasma. What do you guys think? Could I get anything for this beautiful beast or should I just use it until it dies? I have a decent power conditioner (3500 MKkII) so perhaps that has aided in the TV's longevity (bought in 2005)?

Keep it and add a 100-110" drop down projection screen in front of it. Be a lot of years before they make a roll up 110" plasma.
Just for an idea, here is a 32" CRT with a 110 inch behind it, then masked off to 78" to be workable without spending a fortune in room renovation.
http://misc.airscapesart.com/masking/
post #947 of 965 Old 06-19-2013, 11:19 AM

Am I the last one left with a working 36XS955? Going strong since 2005. Lately I have had a few periodic "black screen no picture issues" but then the TV works fine for a long time with no pic issues. I unplugged the power cord and let it sit for a few hours and it seems fine. I am worried that the tube may go. What is the expected life of the tube in this TV? If you get the blinking red LED lights, is that a tube issue or just a cheap replacement part issue? I watch a lot of TV, so the hours on this baby have to be huge.
post #948 of 965 Old 06-19-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I doubt this is a tube issue. More likely culprit is in the D-Board.
post #949 of 965 Old 11-19-2013, 08:10 PM

I still have the 36" beast. To be honest, the picture on this thing is incredible, even to this day. I've had it since the summer of '06. My buddy just got a new 65" Samsung LED/LCD and I think the picture on mine is much better, although I did NOT tell him that. What's the deal here? Can you get a plasma/led tv these days that matches the picture of this one?? You would think so, but I don't know that I've seen it yet.

Anyways, I've had the issue another poster mentioned where you turn the TV on and it's just black. If I unplug the TV and plug it right back in, it's fine. It's happened a couple times over the years, but that's it.

Someday I'll have to finally say goodbye to this baby and I'm dreading it. Don't know how I'm going to get it out of my house! We really want something bigger though, but I'm super picky about the picture so it's going to be a long process. Plus, I'm a big gamer, so input lag is a huge no-no for me, which is probably going to make the job tougher.

Any recommendations from you guys?
post #950 of 965 Old 12-11-2013, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fantastic View Post

Am I the last one left with a working 36XS955? Going strong since 2005. Lately I have had a few periodic "black screen no picture issues" but then the TV works fine for a long time with no pic issues. I unplugged the power cord and let it sit for a few hours and it seems fine. I am worried that the tube may go. What is the expected life of the tube in this TV? If you get the blinking red LED lights, is that a tube issue or just a cheap replacement part issue? I watch a lot of TV, so the hours on this baby have to be huge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post

I doubt this is a tube issue. More likely culprit is in the D-Board.

The number of blinks has meaning. I used to have some sites bookmarked that explained what each number of blinks meant and other info. If memory serves, 6 blinks means the DZ board. Labor and parts are somewhere around $550-600, but that was a few years ago. Do some searches here and the internet to get more info.
Hope this helps.
post #951 of 965 Old 12-30-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

And yet another New Member makes me go 'huh?' confused.gif

I assume you're referring to my post? What's confusing exactly??
post #952 of 965 Old 12-31-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRT Guy View Post

I assume you're referring to my post? What's confusing exactly??

No not your post. There was a nonsensical post from a 1st time newbie who later deleted it, maybe to make me look like a fool; so I'll go and delete my reply above. Seemed like there was a rash of these weird newbie posts around that time...

Speaking of your post, some posters (and Sony 960 owners) in the following 960 thread were all gaga over some particular Panasonic plasma models:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/408146/the-official-kd-34xbr960-thread/8040#post_24139428

DSperber was the key guy, posts several months ago/several pages back. He had some extensive post with lots of detail and photos.

post #953 of 965 Old 12-31-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

No not your post. There was a nonsensical post from a 1st time newbie who later deleted it, maybe to make me look like a fool; so I'll go and delete my reply above. Seemed like there was a rash of these weird newbie posts around that time...

Speaking of your post, some posters (and Sony 960 owners) in the following 960 thread were all gaga over some particular Panasonic plasma models:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/408146/the-official-kd-34xbr960-thread/8040#post_24139428

DSperber was the key guy, posts several months ago/several pages back. He had some extensive post with lots of detail and photos.

Ha! Glad that was cleared up.

I'll tell you, I just found out last night that Panasonic is selling their last plasma in March 2014. That's terrible news. It would be enough to make us get a new TV if we could afford it, but unfortunately it's just in the cards for my wife and I and this moment.

Anyways, thanks for the link kind sir, that really piqued my interest and I'll be sure to check it out. Just gonna do that right now in fact. smile.gif
post #954 of 965 Old 12-31-2013, 11:59 AM

And, I don't know if I'll get any hits on this post or not, but I'm going to make it anyways.

The last couple nights I've been tinkering with my 36xs955. It's probably been a couple years since I've done this. I tried for at least an hour last night to find some posts regarding specific settings for this TV, both on avsforum and other sites, to no avail. Does anyone know of such settings? I feel like I've got a damn good pic, but it would be nice to try some others out.

I have something I have to confess though. I use clear edge on high and I think it makes a noticeable difference for the better. I know that it is recommended to keep it off, but as much as I try to think the picture looks better off than on, I just can't. For one thing, clear edge cleans up text on video games quite nicely (still hard to read on some games and I think it could be because developers are thinking we all have at least 42 inchers now--just a shot in the dark), but even besides that it produces a better picture to my eyes. Maybe I'm nuts.

Also, even in a pitch black room I have both picture and brightness cranked up pretty high. It's absolutely required in a bright room to me. Even with these settings I don't think the picture is washed out too bad or anything. Perhaps my tv has aged a little and this is required to increase light output??

I really don't know. I'm just an amateur.
post #955 of 965 Old 12-31-2013, 12:29 PM

Floydage--

I just read through the parts of that thread you were referring to--some good info there. It would be wonderful if I could go about pick a VT or ZT up right now, before they're gone, but we don't have such an option. Thankfully, we are still very very satisfied with the picture on this old Sony.

One thing I do wonder-- how is the motion blur on those pannys? Input lag? I play a lot of video games (when I have time anyways!) and those are big factors to me. I've heard the panny's suffer from input lag. We also watch lots of hockey, if that makes a difference.

Hopefully OLED comes down in price within a couple years. I know this is unlikely, but it would be nice. The screen on my new Samsung Galaxy S4 is astounding.
post #956 of 965 Old 01-01-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRT Guy View Post

Floydage--

I just read through the parts of that thread you were referring to--some good info there. It would be wonderful if I could go about pick a VT or ZT up right now, before they're gone, but we don't have such an option. Thankfully, we are still very very satisfied with the picture on this old Sony.

One thing I do wonder-- how is the motion blur on those pannys? Input lag? I play a lot of video games (when I have time anyways!) and those are big factors to me. I've heard the panny's suffer from input lag. We also watch lots of hockey, if that makes a difference.

Hopefully OLED comes down in price within a couple years. I know this is unlikely, but it would be nice. The screen on my new Samsung Galaxy S4 is astounding.

I know the modern plasmas tend to run at 600 Hz which is higher than what I see of any flat panels. Now there may be some nifty processing in other types that in some way makes up for it (some of the ads tout something to this affect).
I thought I saw some posts over yonder in ref. to those Pannys and gaming. Maybe some kind of game mode feature? (my Panny CRT has it - supposed to bypass some video processing to speed things up).

You could throw a post over there on the subject. DSperber seems pretty responsive and helpful although I don't think he's a gamer (maybe the others/gamers replying to his posts will show up). Then there's probably threads devoted to those models on AVS and it wouldn't surprise me to see him posting in at least the VT thread (sounds like the one he bought).

post #957 of 965 Old 01-02-2014, 08:19 AM

Liked: 15
600Hz describes the sub-field rate. When you compare this to broadcast television standards of 60Hz, or even with broadcast "enhancements" to television like "120Hz," you need to realize these figures are not describing the same things.

http://hometheater.about.com/od/televisionbasics/qt/What_A_Plasma_TV_Sub-Field_Drive_Is.htm
post #958 of 965 Old 01-02-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks 'Snake, good to know. Different animals but I see the last two pghs confirm my point.

I wish these web article authors would date their material, or at least visible on the website. I wonder if plasmas ever went above a 60 Hz screen refresh rate?

post #959 of 965 Old 01-03-2014, 06:15 PM

Liked: 15
Panasonic's professional plasma monitors support higher refresh rates for various PC broadcasts, the three I have owned will go as high as 85Hz, but this isn't done with television. I have never seen a "120Hz" plasma but I can't say nobody had offered one.

Because the current 120, and even 240 Hz screens do not actually accept those refresh rates but rather interpolate frames to achieve that rate with standard television broadcasts, the usefulness is questionable due to the artifacts introduced. Until television broadcast can be done at 120Hz, this feature's best use is to allow for elimination of 2:3 pulldown for DVD and BluRay movies.
post #960 of 965 Old 01-05-2014, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
What to do with a Sony KD-34XS955N? We are starting to remodel the living room and my wife wants the old tube moved out in favor of my Pioneer plasma. The unit has been calibrated and still looks amazing but I don't think someone will want it (and I certainly don't want to ship it anywhere). I even have the matching stand. I've been asking friends but no one wants it. Any ideas?

"glittering prizes and endless compromises..."

Sony Super Fine Pitch CRT for Sale

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page