The OFFICIAL KD-36XS955 Thread... - Page 33 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #961 of 973 Old 01-05-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Those widescreen CRT HDTV's have been going fast here on the Craigslist free section here in D/FW. Stating it's calibrated and still looks amazing would be a bonus. Another bonus is if you can help load the beast (most ads I see say to bring help).

I recently learned from a wise poster here that there's a classified section on AVS:

http://www.avsforum.com/f/256/direct-view-crt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 973 Old 01-05-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post

Panasonic's professional plasma monitors support higher refresh rates for various PC broadcasts, the three I have owned will go as high as 85Hz, but this isn't done with television. I have never seen a "120Hz" plasma but I can't say nobody had offered one.

Because the current 120, and even 240 Hz screens do not actually accept those refresh rates but rather interpolate frames to achieve that rate with standard television broadcasts, the usefulness is questionable due to the artifacts introduced. Until television broadcast can be done at 120Hz, this feature's best use is to allow for elimination of 2:3 pulldown for DVD and BluRay movies.

Good to know, thanks again! Marketing strikes again. Hopefully they're allowing that to be turned off if one doesn't like the artifacts generated.

post #963 of 973 Old 01-05-2014, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Thanks for the tip, Floydage - I will take a look at the Classifieds.

"glittering prizes and endless compromises..."

Sony Super Fine Pitch CRT for Sale

post #964 of 973 Old 01-06-2014, 08:07 PM

Liked: 22
I posted the ad in the classified section: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1510247/sony-kd-34xs955n-super-fine-pitch-crt-hdtv/0_100

Thanks for your help, Floydage. cool.gif

"glittering prizes and endless compromises..."

Sony Super Fine Pitch CRT for Sale

post #965 of 973 Old 01-07-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilPeart View Post

I posted the ad in the classified section: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1510247/sony-kd-34xs955n-super-fine-pitch-crt-hdtv/0_100

Thanks for your help, Floydage. cool.gif

You're welcome and GL!

YYZ

post #966 of 973 Old 09-28-2014, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My TV is still kicking strong (knock on wood). Can't wait until all the kinks are worked out of OLED and the prices come down (they're starting to!).
post #967 of 973 Old 10-03-2014, 10:08 AM

I have a set available free to anyone willing to carry it out of my house!

The picture has started to expand horizontally so the right and left edges are cut off. I assume there is some kind of internal setting to fix it? Other than that the picture is good.

I'm moving to a 50" which is the largest that will fit in my space.

I am located North of Charlotte, NC....post if by chance anyone wants it before it heads to the recycle center.
post #968 of 973 Old 10-03-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by athiker View Post
I am located North of Charlotte, NC....post if by chance anyone wants it before it heads to the recycle center.
Nice to offer it to the comrades here first but afterward you'll get a bigger audience on Craigslist.

post #969 of 973 Old 10-04-2014, 06:20 AM

So, turns out the set is perfectly fine. Just before we disconnected everything for the new TV my son says something about, "What if its the Onkyo receiver causing the problem?" I went hmmmm.

We have to turn our receiver on 8 - 10 times every time it cools down to get it to stay on, works fine once its one. Well that comment led to some investigation and testing of various direct and indirect hookups involving DirecTV dvr, Sony blu-ray, Onkyo HT-RC360 receiver and the KD-36 To sum up somehow the format button had gotten pushed on the DirecTV remote...twice. I had checked the screen button on the Sony remote multiple times...but never on the DirecTV remote. Never even noticed it had one.

In over a decade of having DirecTV, I've never had this button pushed twice (it takes two pushes to change the setting)!

Anyway, the TV is still going out so the offer still stands. I won the made by Samsung screen lottery for my new TV and love the bigger screen size, though I can't really say the new TV beats the Sony in PQ. Of course the screen size is much larger so not a completely fair comparison. I just started tweaking settings on the new one as well. The venerable Sony is heading to the recycle center early next week...its been a good run.

I forgot what a beast this thing is! I remembered it was heavy, but it was ridiculous getting the thing out and loaded. 3 person job...one on each end and one on the front screen side...it is way front lopsided in weight.

Final note for other Sony owners. I thought the TV had gone out a few times before, but all it required was to unplug the power and plug back in...may help someone hopefully.
post #970 of 973 Old 10-18-2014, 10:52 AM

Well, the set is gone. Recycle center...it had a good run.

I am amazed at how much larger a picture we have now with the 50" in the same space, we have a built-in entertainment center, since the bezels are so thin now. It is also easy to mess with and change cables now vs moving the previous beast to try to get to the back of the thick CRT Sony.

The Sony was a good TV with an very good picture and got us through the family small kids phase of balls and countless other things thrown around our family room that harmlessly bounced of the solid glass front!
post #971 of 973 Old 11-22-2014, 12:33 PM

Is there something wrong with my KD-36XS955? There Red, Green and Blue lines across the screen (they don't defect my viewing experience at all but it could be distracting at times) and I was wondering if there's anything in the service menu that could fix it?

*Thumbnails in link to other thread*:

Red, Green and Blue lines across my KD-36XS955

Last edited by OldSchoolGamer12; 11-22-2014 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Forgot to add thumbnails.
post #972 of 973 Old 11-22-2014, 03:22 PM

Anybody?
post #973 of 973 Old Today, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have Television hooked to an OTA Antenna. My partner and i change the television about & no image. I'm able to change the channels, press every one of the switches & still no TV.

I turn the television away from & about once again & the pictute seems & every little thing operates normal.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page