post #151 of 966 Old 09-24-2004, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by shpankey
You are fooling yourself and misinforming people.

I think it's pretty firmly established by now that he's blindly evangelizing the set and refuses to accept anything that's not glowing, gushing praise about the XS955. When he posts his review next week, I'm sure you can look forward to hearing about how stunning standard definition programming looks, and I'd bet the numbers "910" and "960" will be continually bandied about in there somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 966 Old 09-24-2004, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hmm...
post #153 of 966 Old 09-24-2004, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

HMMMM...if you read what I said, which you did not, I said the 960 does a great job showing what sd looks like on a hdtv. Very close to the quality of anaolog sets. Dont believe. Fine. Read the 960 thread yourself and learn something before you run your mouth.

To recap:

But Lets get back to the 36xs955. The point of this thread. If you want to further discuss this, create your thread!
post #154 of 966 Old 09-25-2004, 05:30 AM

Boy is this thing heavy...fits on the stand fine but you only get one shelf with the stand...the second shelf is an additional cost option (from who?)

Finally got it up and running on all sources last nite. comcast cable, SD DirecTV with TIVO, Sony progressive DVD, and Sony VCR.

Cable...not as good as my analog 35" Sony 35V35 I replaced

DirecTV...depending on the channel...awesome. Dancing with Wolves was beautiful....gardening shows...look like cable. Boils dow to compresion on signal from DirecTV for each channel.

VCR, as good ar worse than cable, quality of the source is the issue.

DVD...interlaced...decent. Progressive...beautiful

HD over the air will have to wait 'till this afternoon for antenna hookup (TV is in the basememt).

Sound is very good.

Let me put a hundred hours on it and then I really know.

BTW, Does anyone have a service manual or list of access codes for the service menu for this set?
post #155 of 966 Old 09-25-2004, 10:40 PM

hey metman2003, I have a second glass shelf if you need,that I won't be using. I ordered it last month after I placed my order which is now canceled.I got the name of the place from Sony and its the actual manufacturer of the stand. I can't recall the name but if you want to pm me about my shelf or the name I 'll get it for you.
post #156 of 966 Old 09-26-2004, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So your totally giving up on this tv set just because it was damaged in shipping? What tv set are you going to replace it with? A 16:9 or 4:3........ If it's just because of the reception of SD, Im sorry to say you willl not find a better tv set that shows SD programming besides the 960. Sony and panasonic actual does SD the best. As for 4:3, Panasonic canceled their 36" 4:3 (which I was really interested in), that leaves the 36" 36xs955 as the front runner for 4:3 sets. If yuo plan on buying 16:9, I would suggest the 34xs955 or the xbr960 (hopefully sony worked the glitches out of this set). If you wait for next year sets, your going to get SD reception better then this years. If you wait 2 years, its going to be better then next years.

So, whatcha going to do?
post #157 of 966 Old 09-26-2004, 03:53 PM

...my wallet, that is. Finally saw one of these beasts in person and even Connie Chung (or a Connie Chung clone?) looked good on a D****TV (SD) feed. Only problems with that were some noise due to the overextended distribution system and some compression artifacts that arrived with the signal. I tried several other channels due to my concern that the set adequately handle SD. HDTV signals from DVD player and from D****TV of various football telecasts looked excellent. And this was all right out of the box. They had just set the thing up and had not adjusted anything. Interestingly, the set was placed in one of the nice viewing rooms rather than out on the floor.

I am sure the set will prove to be less than perfect, but it definitely meets or exceeds my expectations--particularly with SD content--and will work just fine for the next several years until HDTV becomes more commonplace.

Delivery Wednesday!

Gary K.
post #158 of 966 Old 09-26-2004, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You and me both Lahaina!!! Are you excited? I sure am....did you buy the stand or are you using a different one?

I think your plan matches mine. Keep this set for 3-5 years and then upgrade when the slim tvs go down in price and increase in technology as well as increased hdtv channels...
post #159 of 966 Old 09-26-2004, 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JamisonBWolsh
You and me both Lahaina!!! Are you excited? I sure am....did you buy the stand or are you using a different one?

I think your plan matches mine. Keep this set for 3-5 years and then upgrade when the slim tvs go down in price and increase in technology as well as increased hdtv channels...

Exactly. I have been in and around the electronics industry for a long time and it seems entirely reasonable to me that 3 chip DLP's, refined LCos designs, and other approaches that may seem exotic today will be much more affordable and robust in design than the present generation of sets, and that this will happen in about 5 years. This is not to disrespect or diminish in any way those who are currently pioneering this early market by purchasing the emerging projection and flat panel technologies today! If my wife did not see rainbows we might well have ordered a Mits DLP.

For now though, the '955 is a beauty. About your stand question, I actually have a striking and unusual platform/rack that I am going to use for this set. I will upload a picture when I get it all installed.
post #160 of 966 Old 09-27-2004, 05:54 PM

I really hope I can find a good deal on this TV when it's available locally, because I think it will fit our needs until we can afford one of the flat panels or nice rptvs (or projectors in a decked out home theater room, drool). But it's really currently just outside the budget I can rationalize (so far) for an entertainment purchase.

lahaina, can you say how the image quality is at roughly a 6' viewing distance? I ask because we have a really small living room, and I'm concerned that regular SD feeds will look bad when viewed so closely (I know that HD as well as DVD should look great, but we watch a lot of Nickelodeon, History Channel, Speed, and other stations not currently available in HD).

Also, does anyone know if this tv will have a sound sync problem if I feed audio straight to our home theater instead of through the tv? I've read that is an issue with quite a few sets, where the video processing creates a delay that ruins the sound sync when the TV doesn't process the sound as well.
post #161 of 966 Old 09-27-2004, 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Blues_X
...lahaina, can you say how the image quality is at roughly a 6' viewing distance? I ask because we have a really small living room, and I'm concerned that regular SD feeds will look bad when viewed so closely (I know that HD as well as DVD should look great, but we watch a lot of Nickelodeon, History Channel, Speed, and other stations not currently available in HD).

Also, does anyone know if this tv will have a sound sync problem if I feed audio straight to our home theater instead of through the tv? I've read that is an issue with quite a few sets, where the video processing creates a delay that ruins the sound sync when the TV doesn't process the sound as well.

When you consider how many (few) horizontal scan lines are spread out over a screen that size, then I question how happy you might be with it on standard content--for any 36" TV, not just this one at a 6' viewing distance. My impression is that the SD picture on this set is of a quality approximates that of other 36" CRT sets Sony has made in the past including its analog sets. There are some visitors here who will take exception to such a statement. I don't personally agree with them, having spent some time looking, comparing and deciding for myself. Fortunately, this is something you can definitely test and decide for yourself in a showroom as long as you can identify problems that are due to the broadcast and/or signal distribution and those which are definitely not (probably an whole 'nuther thread for that topic). Having a large, high quality 4:3, non-HDTV capable set (such as a Sony 'FS120) nearby that you can use as a reference might give you some confidence in the showroom.

As to a sound sync issue, that is a non-issue with the '955 so far as I know. I have not heard of this except for some Samsung or Panny DLP sets. Maybe someone else could put a finer point on that one but I think that was a very isolated situation.
post #162 of 966 Old 09-27-2004, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey Laha, TWO MORE DAYS!!!!!!!!!
post #163 of 966 Old 09-27-2004, 11:00 PM

What settings are you using to get good SD picture. Most of my SD channels do not display faces that well and I have to turn the picture setting way down.;
post #164 of 966 Old 09-28-2004, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Socal,

Have you bought the avia dvd yet? That would help you choose the proper settings...
post #165 of 966 Old 09-28-2004, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

JamisonBWalsh is incorrect.

Avia is useful for diagnosing specific problems for the television (geometry, etc.), and it helps you find an ideal picture setting for your DVD player. However, Avia strikes that balance just for the combination of your specific DVD player and the input you're using for the DVD player. If you use a different DVD player, those same settings may not be ideal anymore. If you drastically change the way your DVD player is connected to the television, those same settings may not be ideal anymore. If you switch to a different type of source material (SD cable, a video game system, HDTV), those settings are very likely not ideal.

If Jamison's mindset were correct, then ISF folks wouldn't charge to calibrate per input since they'd only need to do it once. If Jamison's mindset were correct, then the XS955 would have one global picture setting instead of being input-specific. That's not to say that settings found through Avia for your DVD player won't make SD cable look better, but I wouldn't bank on the ideal settings for your DVD player flawlessly matching the ideal settings for SD cable or HDTV.
post #166 of 966 Old 09-28-2004, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes it does help geometric settings. But a big plus is to help adjust the brightness,contrast,picture and color settings. After you adjusted these settings, write them down and adjust the other inputs to match. What Adam fails to understand is that these settings would need to be "tweaked" in each input. But it does give a great starting point. Without calibrating your set, you will get horrible analog reception, just like Adams. If you calibrate it properly, your reception would almost equal that of analog sets. There are MANY poeple that have hdtv 4:3 sets that have great analog reception. PLease dont make decisions based on adams "assumptions". Here is a few people that have the 36hs420 4:3 hdtv set (keep in mind the 955 is even better)...

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...Cookie=No#tabs
post #167 of 966 Old 09-28-2004, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What Adam fails to understand is that these settings would need to be "tweaked" in each input. But it does give a great starting point.

I completely understand this, but that's not what you said earlier.

Quote:

As stated several times- as well as from people that have owned the other versions of the 955- IF PROPERLY callibrated with avia or other type dvd, THERE IS practically NO DIFFERENCE!!!!!

Calibration by definition requires having a definitive point of reference. If you use settings from Avia intended for a different input and then change the settings arbitrarily to what you think looks good, it ceases to be calibrated.

Quote:

PLease dont make decisions based on adams "assumptions".

I'm not the only person saying this. And bear in mind, I have the set and am not basing my comments on specifications or speculation.
post #168 of 966 Old 09-28-2004, 11:05 AM

D'oh! I just found out that our car needs ~$700 worth of work, so there goes the HDTV budget for now. Maybe I'll be able to find a good Black Friday deal in November.

lahaina, thanks for the feedback. I plan to swing by BestBuy and look at their 36" tvs to decide if we really have room or not. I may end up going with a 32" hdtv, since they seem to be quite a bit less expensive than the 36" options. And I wouldn't be so worried about it being too big for our space.
post #169 of 966 Old 09-28-2004, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

There are plans out there where there is No payments and no interest for 1 year....
post #170 of 966 Old 09-28-2004, 05:51 PM

Jamison, you do have a point. In that devil-on-your-shoulder sort of way.
post #171 of 966 Old 09-28-2004, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Of course: You dont have the $$$ to buy a tv set. Your spending your money to fix the car. Who needs money? Buy the tv set from Sonystyle and pay NOTHING for 1 full year. Thats how you can afford this set!

Ps: Im getting my tv set between 8am-12:00pm on wed!

You will get a FULL, unbias review on this set from me.
post #172 of 966 Old 09-28-2004, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You will get a FULL, unbias review on this set from me.

Oh, come on -- I think it's pretty clear you've demonstrated a complete and total lack of objectivity towards this set. A few sample quotes of yours before you ever saw anything in the XS955 line:

Quote:

there really is not a 4:3 set that can come close to the PQ of this set.....

Quote:

The 955 ACTUALLY falls between the 910 and the 960 in PQ. If properly calibrated, the pq of SD should equal that of an analog set.

Quote:

Hey... Wasn't the Titanic the flagship from star lines ... Anyway, Im happy it occured because now I will have a better tv set than the 960. The 36XS955!

Quote:

This incredible set...

Quote:

Luckily, I jumped off the xbr960 sinking ship and onto the unsinkable XS955

Quote:

this amazing set...

I await your glowing review of how flawless this set is, how it is vastly superior to the 960, and how anything I said that could possibly be construed as remotely negative is completely off-base. (Nevermind the fact that I really like the set, and that the only downside I feel is present is that analog cable doesn't look as crisp as it did on my analog VVega...something that doesn't matter to me since I always intended to use this TV as an HDTV/DVD monitor.)
post #173 of 966 Old 09-28-2004, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanx Adam!!!!! Just add a few sentences between those phrases you searched this entire thread for and you will have my review. Want to write if for me?

Im sure I will have Negative comments on the geometry.
post #174 of 966 Old 09-28-2004, 07:56 PM

Quote:

Yes it does help geometric settings. But a big plus is to help adjust the brightness,contrast,picture and color settings. After you adjusted these settings, write them down and adjust the other inputs to match. What Adam fails to understand is that these settings would need to be "tweaked" in each input. But it does give a great starting point. Without calibrating your set, you will get horrible analog reception, just like Adams. If you calibrate it properly, your reception would almost equal that of analog sets. There are MANY poeple that have hdtv 4:3 sets that have great analog reception. PLease dont make decisions based on adams "assumptions". Here is a few people that have the 36hs420 4:3 hdtv set (keep in mind the 955 is even better)...

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...Cookie=No#tabs

According to a rather lengthy and technical thread in the Sony area over at ***************, 480i signals arriving via the tuner or composite video inputs do not go through the digital scaling circuitry AT ALL on Sony CRT sets. This is true for both direct view and RP styles. Based on that, my disagreement with those who insist that SD does not render well on these sets intensifies. It also reflects my experience in viewing SD content on these sets in the store. Out of the box, the colors, contrast, sharpness etc. may well be suboptimal, but that is true of any set you might buy.
post #175 of 966 Old 09-28-2004, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I watch analog cable fed through my cable provider's set-top box via component video cables, a combination that, as best I can tell, does trigger the DRC circuity.

I haven't used the QAM input for analog cable in a couple of weeks, and even then not for any significant length of time, so I can't really comment on how that stacks up by comparison without unplugging and plugging some things in.

My disappointment could be a combination of the signal quality and the set-top box. I'm using the same cable provider I was with my old set, but with different set-top boxes and different connections. Either of those could possibly be to blame.
post #176 of 966 Old 09-29-2004, 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Adam Tyner
I watch analog cable fed through my cable provider's set-top box via component video cables, a combination that, as best I can tell, does trigger the DRC circuity.

I haven't used the QAM input for analog cable in a couple of weeks, and even then not for any significant length of time, so I can't really comment on how that stacks up by comparison without unplugging and plugging some things in.

My disappointment could be a combination of the signal quality and the set-top box. I'm using the same cable provider I was with my old set, but with different set-top boxes and different connections. Either of those could possibly be to blame.

Yes, the DRC circuitry does come into play as I understand it when you use the COMPONENT video inputs, not the COMPOSITE video, however. Who knows? You might have found a way to get happy with it!
post #177 of 966 Old 09-29-2004, 02:19 PM

JBW

I've been reading this forum for over a year now. I started when considering an XBR800. Then the 910 came out. Then I bought a house so the TV budget was exhausted but I know I'm going to buy something sooner or later. I was going to buy a 960 but the wife is now drooling over a JVC-DILA so who knows what's going to happen. Anyway, to my point

Your first posts to this forum were pretty much that of an uninformed person trying to learn about the subject of CRT HDTVs. Very commendable - you shouldn't go blow a chunk of cash without educating yourself as to your purchase first, so well done.

Unfortunately, subsequent to that, your posts became incredibly misinformed. This ranged from wildly overstating the risk of burn in on a CRT TV to trying to support the suggestion that the "first batch" of 960's were all faulty and that a recall had been issued. At this point your posts were a little like a car crash - you didn't want to look, but you couldn't help yourself.

Tragically your posts have descended into "neener, neener" territory. I believe the kids call them "fanboys" I guess the definition of that someone who is so impressed by a particular piece of equipment (or whatever) that you consistently, blindly disregard the cons of something and will insist that your particular favourite [whatever] is way above the rest. And it's at this I take issue - you are misinforming people.

People come to read these forums to get the opinions of others and then make more informed decisions about their purchases. If someone is constantly posting false information, like "Burn in is real, people", then these people are being misguided. For myself, having read the board for so long and only having seen your name pop up a few months ago along with your descent from "I'm a noob" into "I'm a self-professed expert", I am able to distinguish the fact that your posts are frequently inaccurate. However, someone just starting to read the board recently wouldn't know that.

As a posting member of this forum you have a responsibility to understand that fact. If you intentionally mislead someone, whether it be from your own ignorance or just a complete bloody-minded refusal to believe that an XBR960 could possibly be better than an XS955 (or whatever petty delusion you choose), you are being completely irresponsible. Especially since through much of this escapade you hadn't even seen an XS. Imagine if I made a purchase based on some entirely incorrect "fact" stated by yourself (or any other posting member of this forum) and found that my purchase was based on incorrect information and I had paid $2000 for something that I really didn't want. How would I feel ? If I could at least return the item you personally would have cost me at best a considerable amount of time and disappointment, and at worst, money.

Speaking personally, you have ruined pretty much all of the XBR/XS related threads for me. What could have been a very worthwhile experience has been ruined by the constant barrage of almost insulting of the forum's collective intelligence, misinformation and downright lies. If the XBR didn't work for you, I'm sorry to hear it and I hope you have better luck with the XS. However there are plenty of people who will be better served by the XBR and you need to understand that. You don't want firewire ? Great save yourself a few bucks and go with the cheaper TV. Personally, I could use the firewire. Are you still going to tell me the XS is better for me ?

If you want to post please try and at least keep it at an adult level. Nobody wants to see your nonsensical statements anymore.
post #178 of 966 Old 09-29-2004, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Jamison-
I am hoping that you recieve the 36xs955 and give it a review within the next few days. I have until 10/2 to buy it at Sonystyle and get no interest or payments til 3/06. I just saw the 36" 420 today at CC and was very impressed with the picture. The silver cabinet was definitely out of the question, though. Anyone else who has seen this TV in action, please post your impressions.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"-Arthur C. Clarke
post #179 of 966 Old 09-29-2004, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sideshow pete with 3 posts is berating me.. hmmm....

1.) Burn in is real on crt sets.. It;s fact. Plain and simple. A portion of the screen is in use and the other portion (black bars) is not. That means phospors are being used= Burn in. Fact!

2.) 960 xbr= 1st batch HAD problems. Many people reported them. I had 3 bad sets... it seems though that the following batches is problem free with the tuners. Geometry is another story though.

3.) My review will be coming out soon enough. Maybe tonight? In it, I will explain the difference between these 2 sets Pq.

4.) Fanboy??? Me...never. Remember, all I had was the manual that sony has provided on their website. Now I have the tv set, so I can test the real results.

Now back to the title of the thread ..The 36Xs955..

Ps. Are you an old member hiding behind a new name and couldnt have the ***** to show who you really are?
post #180 of 966 Old 09-29-2004, 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by shugazer9
Anyone else who has seen this TV in action, please post your impressions.

On Monday, I was at Fry's (Sacramento) and compared the 34XS955 and 36XS955 they had beside each other for 15 minutes. There was no feed available except a single NTSC (crappy channel 3) on either. Nothing I could adjust on the 36 (didn't venture into service menu) seemed to make the picture look as good as the 34". When I do a serious comparison, I take my own NTSC on a satellite digital recorder (what I'll be watching at home most of the time) and plug it into things. The 36" might do better in that setup but it is still displaying the 4:3 image in 5 more inches of vertical height than the 34". If there had been an HD source, I think they both would have been great!
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page