The OFFICIAL KD-36XS955 Thread... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 972 Old 08-15-2004, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This incredible set is coming out on or about Sept 22. Msrp is $1699.00.

4:3= 36"
16:9= 33"

Spec sheet:
http://www.sonystyle.com/intershopro...xs955specs.pdf

Current Sony Style (store) deal:

KD-36XS955- 1699.00 msrp
Free stand
Free delivery (stand is going to be delivered first)
12 months no payments no interest - store only
Free remote (programmable) - store only
$119 5 year warranty

This set does lack Firewire, PNP, and 2nd generation resolution, however this IS comparable to the 960 in all other areas.

Spec sheet of XBR960:
http://www.sonystyle.com/intershopro...R960_specs.pdf

Features:

The KD-36XS955 also features an ATSC Integrated Tuner and is Digital Cable Ready with a CableCARD Slot. ClearEdge VM (Wideband Velocity Modulation Scanning), and an HDMI/HDCP Interface separate this television from others. You can even view your family photos onscreen and listen to MP3 audio with the built-in Enhanced Memory StickĀ® Media slot.
Full HDTV (built-in ATSC tuner for over-the-air HD reception)

Hi-Scan 1080i Display accepts the full 1080 interlaced scanning lines (1080i) or 720 progressive scan (720p) from an external HDTV receiver or a compatible high definition digital satellite receiver. It also accepts 480 progressive (480p) scanning lines from compatible DVD video sources.

SuperFine Pitch CRT provides better image detail with high definition sources. The Aperture Grill was improved by making the vertical slits a finer pitch that increases the number of slits by up to 65%(16 x 9 base). Also improved were the High Precision Deflection Yoke, Fine Focus Electron Gun and the inclusion of higher intensity Luminescent Phosphors. The result is a more detailed image for both moving and still images, higher resolution picture quality, and better edge detail.

HD Detailer Wideband Video Amp provides greater detail on finer images, delivering the best possible image from high bandwidth sources.

ClearEdge VM (Wideband Velocity Modulation Scanning) allows you to select levels to create better separation between an object and its background for clearer edges, greater picture depth and improved overall picture quality.

ATSC Integrated Tuner allows the reception of local, off-air digital broadcasts providing the viewing of free, true high-definition network programming without the addition of a set top box or a monthly fee.

Digital Cable Ready with CableCARD Slot A set of hardware specifications that are defined to include a removable security module, which separates the cable operator's proprietary conditional access system from the retail digital cable device, to enable portability of the host to other cable networks.

HDMI Interface (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) - HDMI is the first industry-supported, uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface. HDMI provides an interface between any audio/video source, such as a set-top box, DVD player, and A/V receiver and an audio and/or video monitor, such as a digital television (DTV).

HDCP Interface (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) was developed to protect digital entertainment content across a DVI interface. It also serves as the security system for HDMI.

CineMotion Reverse 3-2 Pulldown improves the display of video programs originally shot on 24 frames per second film preserving the integrity of the original film frames for more fluid motion and more fine detail.

Memory StickĀ® Media* Enhanced Playback (JPEG,MPEG1,MP3)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 972 Old 08-16-2004, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just cant wait for this set... Anyone else?
post #3 of 972 Old 08-16-2004, 09:02 AM

Me too! I was in my local retailer checking out the 36" Sony HS420 and was awe struck by how good the high-def feed of the Olympics looked. If the XS955 is supposed to be an improvement over that, it's going to blow my mind. I can't wait!
post #4 of 972 Old 08-16-2004, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

I cant wait to hear the reviews of this set. I have had a Toshiba 32" IDTV for 10 years now and the time has come for an upgrade. As far as buying a 4:3 set instead of 16:9, a 27" 4:3 picture on a widescreen set is too small. I have a large collection of music Laserdiscs and like to watch Fox news and EPL soccer without the distortion of stretch modes. The black bars dont bother me on 16:9 material. One thing that concerns me is the lack of a digital output, which would mean no Dolby Digital surround when using the Cablecard input. Anyone know what retailers will be carrying it?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"-Arthur C. Clarke
post #5 of 972 Old 08-16-2004, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

There is an optical output....
post #6 of 972 Old 08-16-2004, 04:42 PM

Hi, I'm a newb.. but I'm in the market... What's firewire do? Does this model come in both 16:9 and 4:3?

Also, why is the 34inch model priced higher than the 36inch model?
post #7 of 972 Old 08-16-2004, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The 34" is a widescreen version. The 36" is 4:3...

The reason the 34" is more $$$ is because widescreen is the HIP tv set at the moment...
post #8 of 972 Old 08-16-2004, 05:07 PM

is the 36" geared towards HD tv? I thought only widescreen was geared towards HD/DVD?

Also, whats firewire?
post #9 of 972 Old 08-16-2004, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Juggy
is the 36" geared towards HD tv? I thought only widescreen was geared towards HD/DVD?

I think it's a good middle ground. If you watch HD material, it's letterboxed on the set, and that widescreen portion of the screen amounts to 33", only an inch smaller than the pricier 34" set. However, if you watch standard-def 4x3 material, you get a lot more screen real estate than you would with the 34".

Quote:

Also, whats firewire?

A convenient way to link up various components. It's a handy feature, but the lack of one isn't a deal breaker for me. Search this forum for "Firewire" if you'd like to read some more in-depth descriptions about the appeal.
post #10 of 972 Old 08-16-2004, 05:39 PM

Where can you read about the 5-year warranty for $119 on the Sony Style site? I can't find it.

Also, what is the deal with the free remote? Is this not the normal one that comes with the TV?
post #11 of 972 Old 08-16-2004, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am not sure if the website offers it??? I bought it from SONY STYLE (the store). Great deal IMO. Sears wants slightly over $500 for theirs. The TV comes with its own remote. Sonystyle (the store) is also offering the 5 device setting remote free.
post #12 of 972 Old 08-16-2004, 07:44 PM

..saw the 34inch version of the xs beside the 34xbr960 (I'm a 960 owner in fairness of disclosure), and the pq was not even comparable to the 960. I was in fact surprised how much the difference was, and it wasn't a tweaking settings issue, the picture was noticeably less detailed and solid. The geometry was also horrendous, and this was truly scary as the 960 has shaky geometry. Not trying to be capricious, but I'd seriously reconsider any xs purchase based on what I saw. To me a few hundred dollars isn't worth the much lower pq.
post #13 of 972 Old 08-16-2004, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hmmm... Since you are a 960 owner and I WAS a 960 owner.
I read another person that saw the 34XS and said the pq is about the same.

My opinion of the XBR960 is this:
1.) HORRIBLE Geometry (my first set)- Countless people saying they have bad geometry as well.
2.) Tuner problems- (2nd and 3d set)- Countless others have this problems as well.
I wouldnt touch that set if you gave me it to me for free!!!

Each tv set has its own geometry issues.

As for your regard of PQ. Do I doubt your opinion. Sure I do. The 36" xs has almost ALL the same options as the 960, except for the 2nd generation resolution. The XBR960 is the only set with this. DO you think sony will release most of their 2004 tube tv sets with horrible pq. SERIOUSLY doubt it!!! Now leave this thread 955 hater! we dont want you. Go back to your "beloved" 960.
post #14 of 972 Old 08-16-2004, 08:44 PM

..all I'm saying is be sure to compare them with your own peepers...but jamison, if you weren't happy with the 960, there's no way the xs will do it for ya...sorry. Furthermore, there is no way anyone seriously could suggest that the xs be purchased over the 960..just look at the feature set, in fact it's silly that sony has the list price so high for the xs in my ignorant opinion. Happy viewing no matter which set ya buy!
post #15 of 972 Old 08-16-2004, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I wasnt happy with the 960 for the geometric and tuner problems... will sony learn their mistake with the 960's and correct them with the 955..maybe. If they released a working 960, then I would LOVE it. The pq is amazing. According to the brochure, the pq of the 36" should be comparable..thats all Im saying...
post #16 of 972 Old 08-16-2004, 09:05 PM

..geometry I saw was worse out of the box on the 955...much worse in fact. It was stretched to the point that figures on screen looked like thay had been subjected to the rack of old...just run out and see one yourself jamison and then gimme a shout.
post #17 of 972 Old 08-16-2004, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The other person that saw this set never mentioned bad geometry problems. Maybe it was just an isolated case? In fact, they said everything looked almost exact to that of a 960....Your just one person. The 2nd person had a total different experience as yours (he did not own a 960 hmmm...)
post #18 of 972 Old 08-16-2004, 09:20 PM

..were the sets next to each other, with the same HD feed, and matched as far as menus go...I'm telling you, the picture is just not the same, in fact I'd say the pq was closer to the 34HS510 which i had last xmas and remember well..too well! Although it claims super fine pitch, there's more to it than the tube. I'd guess that the xs has different circuitry in some regard, for example I don't think it's DRC is adjustable for example. However,you may be right...I've only seen one xs afterall. But let's say YOU are right and the picture is equal, why wouldn't you want firewire?
post #19 of 972 Old 08-16-2004, 10:05 PM

JamisonBWolsh,

Do you have a link to the offer for the free remote? I'm thinking about getting this set, and I see the offer for the free stand, but I don't see anything about a free remote? I checked on Sonystyle, but it just has the offer for the stand.
post #20 of 972 Old 08-16-2004, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member

I dont see any reference to an optical output in the spec sheet, only firewire

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"-Arthur C. Clarke
post #21 of 972 Old 08-17-2004, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

The spec sheet for the 34XS955 doesn't list optical output either, yet the set apparently has one. I'd imagine the same will hold true for the 36" model, assuming that poster is correct.
post #22 of 972 Old 08-17-2004, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Exactly...The offer os only good at the sony Style STORE... not the website...

The spec sheet did not list it. BUT the 34" has one. So, logically speaking, so shall the 36"
post #23 of 972 Old 08-17-2004, 10:29 AM

As another data point, I noticed the other day that the WS550 rear projection models have an optical output (they're essentially a WS510 with an HD tuner), so I'd be suprised if the XS955 series dosen't have one.

Of course the fact that someone claims to have seen the back of a 34XS955 and saw an output is also good evidence. =)
post #24 of 972 Old 08-17-2004, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!! well.... not that great...

I think BLOATEDCORPSE needs to get a burual already or something and here is why....

I went to CC today and they did not have the XS955 yet.

HOWEVER, I did compare the 34HS420 to the 34xbr960. With both sets on the same setting using an HDTV program, the pq were ALMOST identical. The difference being 3 feet away I can see the pixels of the 420, but the 960 was smooth (No pixels). 5-6 feet away and I cannot tell the difference between these 2 sets on a HDTV broadcast.

what does this all mean? Well, the XS line is an UPGRADE over the HS line. If the 955 is better than the 420 line (it is) then there is NO QUESTION that the pq of the 955 and the 960 is going to be extremely close.

Bloated, the setup at your store must have been screwed up, becasue the 34 and 960 set looks almost IDENTICAL in pq (except for the pixels). I wonder if the 955 line will have the noticable pixels or not.. we will see..
post #25 of 972 Old 08-17-2004, 06:54 PM

..the set-up may have been messed up...for future owners, I sincerely hope it was! The HS line in no way compares to the 960 in terms of pq..if it did, why would sony even have the xbr line, it's just silly to compare them, as they are two different lines targeted at different segments of the HDTV market. Next you'll be telling me the 13 inch trinitron is almost reaching the lofty heights that is the 960...all you have to do is sit 6 inches away and imagine. Just having adjustable DRC (not that I even recommend using it), is worth the extra two hundred bucks. I find it absolutely disturbing that you're expecting satisfaction with an inferior model after already being disappointed with the 960!..to each their own I s'pose...but it's kinda like trading in a BMW and getting hyped about the brand new toyota hatchback...silliness...if anything, it would make more sense after your dissatisfaction with sony to try sammy's DLP or something similar. But I'll eagerly await your review of the XS...
post #26 of 972 Old 08-17-2004, 07:13 PM

I hope you folks will let us know where we can read some reviews when they come out.
post #27 of 972 Old 08-17-2004, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey...... Just giving you my opinion. Bloated.. Like how you say the sony 955 line has horrible pq...thats your opinion. I compared the 960 and the 420 and the difference was the size of the pixels.. you dont like it? dont read this thread...

NOW back to the subject: KD-36XS955

Please no more talk on any other tv set...use another thread for any other talk
post #28 of 972 Old 08-17-2004, 11:17 PM
Advanced Member

234 pounds! This thing is a monster.

post #29 of 972 Old 08-18-2004, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 35
YES>>>>>>>
You can now download the manual for the XS tv`s at Sony`s web site under support.
YUP ***
They DO HAVE AN OPTICAL DIGITAL OUT ( sorry but I had to yell )
AND , yes CC (at least some ) have the KD-34XS955.
What did I think ?
Not much
It looks very dark (standard mode=reset) , only had a chance for a quick look.
However it does have the enhanced CC and the new "menu" system.
To me , it seems as if something was missing , although I don`t know what.
Maybe it was the "little" things , like NO metal around the memory stick slot.
Maybe if I had more time or if it was showing better source program , my views would be different.
The remote is the RM-Y199 , which is a "hyped-up" version of the on found on the HS series.
NO thumb "thingy" for menu control.
Just wanted to let the news out , it has arrived (at least the 34").
I still need to see the 30" with a VHS tape playing , if I can stand watch source like that then SD would be ok.
Have fun !!
Gary
post #30 of 972 Old 08-18-2004, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Did you see the pixels like in the 420's and 510's?? or is as smooth as the 960? You can adjust the darkness.... I will take a look at them when they get to the LA stores... BUT I dont think you can compare the 16:9 vs the 4:3??? I would REALLY like to see how the 4:3 views SD material....the 16:9 probably compares with the 960....but I wonder how the 36" will handle this?

ah... man... no "THUMBY thing"?? I liked that....

also, that manual is actually for the 34" not the 36"...
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page