Official Sanyo HT32744/HT30744 thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2894 Old 09-21-2004, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TH3_FRB

You can if the channel is in memory. I tried scanning more DTV channels last night and found the Sanyo sees more then the Samsung T151 STB did. Most are too weak to watch but the Sanyo still saw then. I will do much better, OTA, when the leaves are gone which is OK by me as I watch much more TV in cold weather.

I also burned a CD with jpegs from my 2.1 meg pix. camera. WOW much better on the Sanyo then my old 25" Zenith. Not shure if it is just because I use 480p on the Sanyo and composite on the Zenith, or the Sanyo is that much better. (I assume both) The Zenith flickered so bad it was really unwatchable for jpegs. The Sanyo did a good job for being a large 32" at only 720X480p. (I didn't expect them to be as good as a computer monitor)

Still think this is a great set!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2894 Old 09-21-2004, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What do you mean "in memory"? What I'm talking about is using the number pad to punch in 13.1 for example. There is no key to represent the "." as far as I know.

Quote:
Originally posted by ray50
TH3_FRB

You can if the channel is in memory.

post #273 of 2894 Old 09-21-2004, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TH3_FRB
What do you mean "in memory"? What I'm talking about is using the number pad to punch in 13.1 for example. There is no key to represent the "." as far as I know.

Punching in 13 will get you to 13.1 if you have the digital tuner selected. But yes, you're right, there's no way that I'm aware of to directly access subchannels (i.e. 13.2 if channel 13 is multi-casting)

Cory
post #274 of 2894 Old 09-21-2004, 09:57 AM

Sorry TH3_FRB, housecor is right, you can not directly access subchannels.

BTW is the SM for the 30"WS the same as the 32"? (Sorry if this has been asked many times already)
post #275 of 2894 Old 09-21-2004, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't think I ever tried that...so I can hit 27 and it will take me to the digital 27.1...better then hitting channel up 10 times to get from 3.1 to 27.1

Quote:
Originally posted by housecor
Punching in 13 will get you to 13.1 if you have the digital tuner selected. But yes, you're right, there's no way that I'm aware of to directly access subchannels (i.e. 13.2 if channel 13 is multi-casting)

post #276 of 2894 Old 09-21-2004, 09:01 PM

I have a 32". When watching HDTV in widescreen, I understand that there is black bars on top and bottom, but with some programs there is black bars on the side too. Why? What is the technical term for it?
-Ryan
post #277 of 2894 Old 09-21-2004, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

When you have black bars on all sides of the picture it's not really HD. What you have is SD being upconverted to 1080i by the network and broadcast digitally. Most just put black bars on the side, ESPN puts that nifty "HD" design on the sides when the broad cast upconverted material on the HD channel. Typically using the zoom function works very well for this type of broadcast filling the screen with nice quality DTV. Remember...if it isn't 16:9 format it's not really HD...and not everything that is OTA digital is HD...many prime time shows are but most of the daytime shows and news are not HD yet.
post #278 of 2894 Old 09-22-2004, 06:09 AM

After watching my 32" for a few days I found that all HD channels are not the same. One HD PBS station I get with a very strong signal (85-90%) still pixelates when the camera pans quickly. This same station has 3 sub-channels so I assume I am seeing the results of compression. Another near by HD PBS station has 2 sub channels during the day but only the main HD channel after 6pm. This station always looks great at night. The NBC HD channel I get has only a few HD programs, the rest are 4:3 programs that need to be zoomed. So far I love this set and my wife does also. (It is much easyer to use then the old set up with a video switch box to handle the DVD, VCR, STB and X-BOX.)

Anyone know if the Service Manual for the 30" WS is the same for the 32"?
I don't need it yet but would like to have it for maybe some tweaking this winter.
post #279 of 2894 Old 09-22-2004, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What you're probably seeing is the bit-starving of the HD feed as a result of needing to allocate some bandwidth to the other sub-channels. The pipe is only so big and the more streams they try to feed, the less each one gets...and it shows.

I used the service manual from the 30" to tweak my 32" so I'd say they are probably ostly the same.
post #280 of 2894 Old 09-22-2004, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I saw this 30" hdtv at walmart the other day on display. They were feeding it the walmart HD loop (walmart commercial/National Geographic/etc...) via component input. I couldn't help but notice that when they showed 4x3 material on the HD feed (black bars on the side) , the border between the picture and the black bar would distort back and forth as the picture changed and got brighter and darker. I also noticed it when showing full screen HD; the watermark would slightly move position.
This, plus the fact that by looking at the watermark location I determined that this hdtv overscanned more of the picture than the panasonic or philips 30", I wasn't impressed with the set.
Thinking about the panasonic for $100 dollars more, or playing it safe and getting a sony for much more.
Bob C
post #281 of 2894 Old 09-22-2004, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The geometry of these sets often needs to be tweaked...simple enough to do in the service menu. The distortion you saw was most likely a result of having the brightness and contrast cranked too high and the power supply couldn't handle the demand. With a proper calibration of the user settings this should be minimal. Why exactly do you consider a Sony "playing it safe"?
post #282 of 2894 Old 09-22-2004, 01:59 PM

I also noticed that the borders on both sides were not straight vertical lines when the content wasn't HD material. I think it is common on CRT tough. The biggest selling point of this TV is the integrated ATSC tuner, at a pretty low price.
post #283 of 2894 Old 09-22-2004, 03:34 PM

Liked: 15
How's the availability on these? I'm wondering if I should snatch one up now before they're gone, or if I can continue to shop around for something else or a better/similar deal?
post #284 of 2894 Old 09-22-2004, 04:23 PM

at $697 + tax, you won't find a better deal, not even close, than these two models.
post #285 of 2894 Old 09-22-2004, 04:36 PM

Hey all,

First time posting here. Saw the Sanyo deal @ Wally world and decided I better do some research before buying the TV. I've made up my mind that I'm going to buy this set but I'm trying to decide which one, the 32" 4:3 or the 30" 16:9? Is it more for just preference? Presently I use my TV for watching satelite, playing games and watching movies. I guess I'm trying to figure out if the gain you get from watching widescreen movies on the 16:9 Sanyo compared to the 4:3 is actucally worth it?
post #286 of 2894 Old 09-22-2004, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

upNdown, I would not worry about the Sanyo's not being around because they are a "new" model & will at least be around until next year & they may even be carried over into 2006. I would guess the best time to buy them would be just before Xmas or just after. I was figuring they would be under $ 700 around Xmas but after the latest price drop they may be $650 or even $600 I'm also waiting to see what the "new" Zenith 30" models will be like before I buy the Sanyo.
post #287 of 2894 Old 09-23-2004, 01:14 AM

The jaggies you folks are noticing on your PS2 is probably due to the PS2's inherently low resolution for most games. I can assure you that you won't notice these problems on a Gamecube or an Xbox when using the component cables. As someone posted earlier, there is a certain dependence on the fuzziness of Standard Def televisions to hide the obvious stair stepping effect of the PS2's low resolution display mode. You can definitely blame this on the source and not the display.

For what it's worth (and on another subject), I picked up the Harman Kardon DPR 1001 Receiver from Circuit City yesterday ($299). The first store I visited was sold out, and they called another store about 10 miles away that had one left. Lucky me! Anyway, I'm pleased to report that nearly ALL my problems with the Xbox / Gamecube distortion problems disappeared. I hooked up my Xbox and Gamecube straight to the receiver (two component INs on the receiver), and the receiver is going component out to the television (30" widescreen Sanyo). The problems I had previously pretty much disappeared.

1) Xbox when playing DVDs has green vertical bars -- GONE
2) Xbox & Gamecube when playing games in Progressive Scan has horizontal lines of distortion across the entire width of the screen -- GONE

This was serendipitous, to be quite honest, and now I have NO regrets about this TV. None, absolutely none. I am now convinced that there has to be some kind of weirdness between those game consoles and the TV when they go straight into it. Although my receiver is certainly not high-end, it probably has some kind of circuitry that's cleaning up my video from the source to the display. I admit I don't know much about how this kind of stuff works, but it is the only thing sorta makes sense to me.

Thoughts anyone?

Danny
post #288 of 2894 Old 09-23-2004, 06:05 AM

Maybe a little OT:
I get some noise on analog channels and from my computer (on ch. 3) on my 32" Sanyo (on old Zenith also). I have only OTA so the noise is from the antenna and/or AC power. I have a high end Winegard combo antenna (HD800P) and a low noise winegard pre-amp. Anyone have luck with filters for either and antenna or AC power? Mabye this is the wrong forum??
post #289 of 2894 Old 09-23-2004, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'd say the noise is a result of feeding an analog SD signal to a digital HD display...they just aren't optimized for analog. My Sanyo looks great with DVD, digital/HD cable, and OTA HD but feeding it through a Tivo sucks. The Tivo looks just fine on my older analog set.

Quote:

Maybe a little OT:
I get some noise on analog channels and from my computer (on ch. 3) on my 32" Sanyo (on old Zenith also). I have only OTA so the noise is from the antenna and/or AC power. I have a high end Winegard combo antenna (HD800P) and a low noise winegard pre-amp. Anyone have luck with filters for either and antenna or AC power? Mabye this is the wrong forum??

post #290 of 2894 Old 09-23-2004, 08:17 AM

TH3_FRB I agree about noisy analog signals however one problem I have is when I turn on my computer, (2 rooms away) I get many horz. lines on channel 3 (analog) that is very annoying. Turning off the comupter gives me my nice clear sharp picture back. I have the computer on a filtered UPS so I am not sure how the noise is getting in.
post #291 of 2894 Old 09-23-2004, 08:21 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Bill1313
upNdown, I would not worry about the Sanyo's not being around because they are a "new" model & will at least be around until next year & they may even be carried over into 2006. I would guess the best time to buy them would be just before Xmas or just after. I was figuring they would be under $ 700 around Xmas but after the latest price drop they may be $650 or even $600 I'm also waiting to see what the "new" Zenith 30" models will be like before I buy the Sanyo.

So you say (and I do appreciate the feedback) but Walmart.com doesn't have any available. Are there any Walmart or Sanyo 'insiders' here who can tell if there are more of these coming or if it was a limited run?
post #292 of 2894 Old 09-23-2004, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

These sets wrer not normally available online. I believe the 30" was listed online for a very short time. Just because it isn't online doesn't mean they aren't available. Just call around to your local stores and ask for the electronics department and have the person check the stock for you.
post #293 of 2894 Old 09-23-2004, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ah...so you're saying that the noise only happens when you turn on the computer? Interesting...I'd first try to narrow it down by turning on only the CPU and then only the monitor to see if one or the other is causing the noise. Also try not using the UPS. Maybe turning the computer on triggers some type of circuit in the UPS that is sending interference into your antenna signal.

Quote:

TH3_FRB I agree about noisy analog signals however one problem I have is when I turn on my computer, (2 rooms away) I get many horz. lines on channel 3 (analog) that is very annoying. Turning off the comupter gives me my nice clear sharp picture back. I have the computer on a filtered UPS so I am not sure how the noise is getting in.

post #294 of 2894 Old 09-23-2004, 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by planetside
The jaggies you folks are noticing on your PS2 is probably due to the PS2's inherently low resolution for most games. I can assure you that you won't notice these problems on a Gamecube or an Xbox when using the component cables. As someone posted earlier, there is a certain dependence on the fuzziness of Standard Def televisions to hide the obvious stair stepping effect of the PS2's low resolution display mode. You can definitely blame this on the source and not the display.

For what it's worth (and on another subject), I picked up the Harman Kardon DPR 1001 Receiver from Circuit City yesterday ($299). The first store I visited was sold out, and they called another store about 10 miles away that had one left. Lucky me! Anyway, I'm pleased to report that nearly ALL my problems with the Xbox / Gamecube distortion problems disappeared. I hooked up my Xbox and Gamecube straight to the receiver (two component INs on the receiver), and the receiver is going component out to the television (30" widescreen Sanyo). The problems I had previously pretty much disappeared.

1) Xbox when playing DVDs has green vertical bars -- GONE
2) Xbox & Gamecube when playing games in Progressive Scan has horizontal lines of distortion across the entire width of the screen -- GONE

This was serendipitous, to be quite honest, and now I have NO regrets about this TV. None, absolutely none. I am now convinced that there has to be some kind of weirdness between those game consoles and the TV when they go straight into it. Although my receiver is certainly not high-end, it probably has some kind of circuitry that's cleaning up my video from the source to the display. I admit I don't know much about how this kind of stuff works, but it is the only thing sorta makes sense to me.

Thoughts anyone?

Danny

That's weird that the receiver fixed the issue for you, Danny, but I'm happy for you that it did clear up your problems. Seems like you would be introducing more potential for noise/interference by introducing another connection point between the consoles & the TV.

Good find!
jawgee
post #295 of 2894 Old 09-23-2004, 10:14 AM

Yes, it is very strange and you're right -- another device in the path should contribute some noise or degradation. One thought is that I did purchase a NEW Xbox, and this might be a factor. Now granted, my previous TWO Xbox consoles exhibited the aforementioned problems, and others have posted the same as well. So I guess I ought to make sure, and re-connect the old Xbox just to keep an apples to apples comparison. All other aspects of the system are the same: same component cables, same HiDef AV pack for Xbox and of course same TV. The only difference is the receiver and a newer Xbox. I'll go and do some investigating ...

Danny
post #296 of 2894 Old 09-23-2004, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Do you notice any change in PQ as a result of using the receiver as a component switch? I've got a AVR525 that has 2 component inputs and one output that would make switching between DVD and cable easier since I could use a single input on the television and let the receiver switch both the audio and video with a singel butom push. Maybe I'll pick up an additional set of component cables and give it a try.
post #297 of 2894 Old 09-23-2004, 10:43 AM

I guess I'm saying "yes" there is a change in PQ as far as my game consoles are concerned (as stated in my previous post). I don't have anything else attached through the component cables, and my only other device attached (via S-Vid) is my TiVo. I really can't say that I've noticed a change in PQ for that device, though. Certainly it is not worse but I could not say off-hand whether it is better.

I will be doing some separate testing later today or tomorrow. I plan to test on the following:

1) Old Xbox through receiver -- PQ problems persist?
2) New Xbox straight to TV -- PQ problems persist?

Danny
post #298 of 2894 Old 09-23-2004, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry, I though you had a DVD player or digital cable box also going through the receiver...I suspect there might be a decrease in PQ from these sources sinc ethe wouldn't expect the video switcher to be that great. It sounds like some level of filtering helps with your game boxes though.
post #299 of 2894 Old 09-23-2004, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

There won't be any degredation using a receiver for component video switching. 1080i and 720p both require only about 37 MHz of bandwidth, and I haven't seen a receiver below this (actually below 40 MHz). The new Xbox is likely what fixed the problem. The Xbox is now on its third video encoder, each made by a different company. I wouldn't be surprised if there are issues raised or addressed in each. The original Xboxes used Conexant encoders. Later Xboxes used Focus encoders. The newest Xboxes use one marked Xcalibur (although I don't know who actually designed or produces this chip).
post #300 of 2894 Old 09-23-2004, 05:05 PM

Does anyone know if the 32" model has a 16:9 enhanced mode like the Sony's?
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page