Official Sanyo HT32744/HT30744 thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2894 Old 10-28-2004, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I imagine the 30% number comes from people using Avia or DVE that use more precise tests to set white level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2894 Old 10-28-2004, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Possible but it's important to remember that ANY calibration is specific to the sources and conditions. So unless I have the same exact DVD player running the same connections under similar lighting conditions, I couldn't just take someone elses settings and apply them for best results. Everyone needs to do their own calibration with the equipment they intend to use. I'm not sure how much more precise Avia or DVE can be without any special measuring equipment.

Quote:
Originally posted by ferrisg
I imagine the 30% number comes from people using Avia or DVE that use more precise tests to set white level.

post #543 of 2894 Old 10-28-2004, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hello All!

My 27" NetTV with HD-15 connection (XGA rez) started clunking out on me. Seems to be a bad transitor as it can't display red anymore. So I happened to be in the market for a new TV until I get a bigger place that will allow me to install an FP. Of course, I'd have to come here first to do research as any well informed consumer should do. Once again, the AVS does not dissapoint. After lurking and doing research, I stumbled upon this thread and decided to take the plunge yesterday. I picked up the 30" Wide Sanyo from Wallyworld here in San Jose. The cool thing about the unit was that just yesterday (the same day I bought the unit), the price dropped to $647 or $649, I don't remember exactly. But out the door, the unit set me back $700 and some pennies! Wonderful. So I guess you can say that this is an even better bargain now =).

My roommate pays for the HD package that gets ESPN HD, Discovery HD, and one premium HD channel. I think it is HBO HD, not sure. Comcast HD came in no problem whatsoever. I had heard of issues with lip synching, but I had no problem with it at all! And no STB required. Stayed up late just to watch Jay Leno in HD. Man was it a thing of beauty. My only gripe was that I missed the Sox clincher last night. But thankfully, I was able to watch the highlights on ESPN HD! Yeah baby, yeah!

I am a gamer, so I did hook the GC up to composite video 1. The image was a bit bloomy and the colors bled. But I haven't calibrated the unit and the only disc I had handy to test things out with was a new copy of Wind Walker. I'll throw F-Zero on today when I get home. My Xbox is at my brother's house and I will pick that up along with the my DC and report back then.

So far, this unit is awesome. What can I say? I mean I have an HDTV that I can connect my analog cable feed to, HD cable, Xbox through component, Panny RP56 through component, Gamecube through composite, Dreamcast through composite and still have one HDMI connection open for my HTPC!

BTW, I hope I didn't violate forum policy by posting the price I paid for this unit, since after all, it is only sold in one place.
post #544 of 2894 Old 10-28-2004, 10:05 AM

Quote:
one more thing, does this set wobble on the sides when the picture doesn't fill the whole screen? I know it does that on the Philips and I hate it

I got the 30" last night and did notice this issue, but it is only noticable when you are displaying square graphics like xbox media center menus. Although when the picture fills the whole screen (with overscan and all) it is very hard to notice. Sometime it is annoying but hey, "you get what you pay for."

IMO, it is a good deal at $649 bucks. 1080i looks fantastic on this set. Also, the tuner is able to tune one extra channel than my ATI HDTV Wonder card.

My roommate has been very skeptical about HDTV but when he saw this TV it opened his eyes. He really could see a difference. I've never been able to convince him why widescreen and HDTV was so cool but this TV finally did it. I remember him saying, "you picked a good TV" after showing him Picture and Picture with Jay Leno in Hidef on one side while playing GTA:SA on the other side.
post #545 of 2894 Old 10-28-2004, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TH3_FRB
Possible but it's important to remember that ANY calibration is specific to the sources and conditions. So unless I have the same exact DVD player running the same connections under similar lighting conditions, I couldn't just take someone elses settings and apply them for best results. Everyone needs to do their own calibration with the equipment they intend to use. I'm not sure how much more precise Avia or DVE can be without any special measuring equipment.

Yep...the THX optimization works great on my DVDs, not so good on broadcast. Blacks are too dark. Thanks for your guidance.
post #546 of 2894 Old 10-28-2004, 10:53 AM

can anyone post pics of their unit (back too if possible), and the remote too. And for those with a PS2 how does it look using component?
post #547 of 2894 Old 10-28-2004, 11:57 AM

when watching a 480 source such as 480i on SDTV or 480p on DVD, does the picture look very nice and clean, or does it look rather messy, due to upconversion?
post #548 of 2894 Old 10-28-2004, 12:42 PM

"when watching a 480 source such as 480i on SDTV or 480p on DVD, does the picture look very nice and clean, or does it look rather messy, due to upconversion"

I don't have as much experience as most on this board but I think the SD looks decent, it doesn't bother me. I watched Star Wars last night and it was pretty good, through component cables but I could pick out some grain in the picture.... I believe this to be more from my el cheapo dvd/rec./surrround system then the TV however. For now I am very happy with it, and I can email you some pics if you want, shoot me an email at jksunde@yahoo.com and I'll reply with some pics....
post #549 of 2894 Old 10-28-2004, 02:33 PM

I'm confused by the Set-Top-Box (STB) of this Sanyo.

In particular when it says it receives Over The Air (OTA). Does this mean through the air like with an antenna, or does it also include signals from the cable company and satellite dish. Which of these 3 does it and does it not work with?
post #550 of 2894 Old 10-28-2004, 03:23 PM

Peter:

Over-the-air always mean local channels that can be received free via an indoor or roof-top antenna. Channels received via cable or satellite are not called "over-the-air", nor are they free, but some may also be duplicates of free over-the-air channels.

The Sanyo has built in NTSC, ATSC and QAM tuners and two RF inputs. One input (NTSC) is for regular channels from either an antenna (ch 2-13 and 14-69) or non-digital cable channels (all cable channels up to about 100, depending on your cable company). The other input on the Sanyo is for digital (DTV) channels, either free local DTV channels over-the-air via antenna (usually 14-69 ATSC channels), or non-encrypted DTV channels over cable (QAM), also called DTV pass through or ClearQAM channels. Normally, if you subscribe to any cable service at all, the Sanyo will be able to pick up any available ClearQAM digital channels without having to subscribe to digital cable service.

Finally, in order to receive satellite service, regular or HD, or pay for view cable channels, you must subscribe to these services and be provided with additional equipment, including an extenal set-top-box.

TH
post #551 of 2894 Old 10-28-2004, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Teeh
Peter:

Over-the-air always mean local channels that can be received free via an indoor or roof-top antenna. Channels received via cable or satellite are not called "over-the-air", nor are they free, but some may also be duplicates of free over-the-air channels.

The Sanyo has built in NTSC, ATSC and QAM tuners and two RF inputs. One input (NTSC) is for regular channels from either an antenna (ch 2-13 and 14-69) or non-digital cable channels (all cable channels up to about 100, depending on your cable company). The other input on the Sanyo is for digital (DTV) channels, either free local DTV channels over-the-air via antenna (usually 14-69 ATSC channels), or non-encrypted DTV channels over cable (QAM), also called DTV pass through or ClearQAM channels. Normally, if you subscribe to any cable service at all, the Sanyo will be able to pick up any available ClearQAM digital channels without having to subscribe to digital cable service.

Finally, in order to receive satellite service, regular or HD, or pay for view cable channels, you must subscribe to these services and be provided with additional equipment, including an extenal set-top-box.

TH

Thanks Teeh. That helps a bit.

So this Sanyo, as is, can only decode HDTV via OTA signals. Any of the other sources (such as cable and satellite) would require a seperate decoder to benefit/utilize HDTV signals. Is that correct? Are there any HDTVs that don't need seperate decoders?
post #552 of 2894 Old 10-28-2004, 07:05 PM

does this tv make shadows of moving objects or letters around them (usually on only one side of the object/text)?
post #553 of 2894 Old 10-28-2004, 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Peter_Klim

So this Sanyo, as is, can only decode HDTV via OTA signals. Any of the other sources (such as cable and satellite) would require a seperate decoder to benefit/utilize HDTV signals. Is that correct? Are there any HDTVs that don't need seperate decoders?

In addition to OTA HD channels, the Sanyo as is can also receive HD/DTV channels over cable without a separate STB if the cable company passes local HD/DTV channels unscrambled. [The fact is, the Sanyo is one of the only TVs that can receive these on most cable systems. Sonys and Samsungs are supposed to, but frequently can't.]
These are known as ClearQAM channels. But for any satellite channels, you'll need an external STB.
TH
post #554 of 2894 Old 10-28-2004, 07:35 PM

Quote:

You don't need a Cable Box to get HD on the Sanyo!
So far I get Fox, ABC,NBC, CBS and PBS in HD when they broadcast HD with just the cable feed (No Cable Box).

JohnnyJT
South Philly
post #555 of 2894 Old 10-28-2004, 07:37 PM

"Isn't any type of DVI (digital video interface) designed to carry video only, whereas HDMI (high definition media interface??) is designed to carry audio as well as video.

I've read on some website that DVI was originally designed for digital computer displays. HDMI is intended for devices that receive and time-shift hidef pay-for-view TV from satellite and cable broadcasts, and high def DVDs whenever they arrive.

If this is true, your device that has a DVI output will pass only video via that output. What device do you want to connect that has a DVI output and has no separate audio output? If so, then wouldn't this be an HDMI output?"

-----------------------------------------------

A Dish Network tech told me that there are DVI-to-HDMI cables into which you can plug the audio cables, so the cable would carry it all to the HDMI port. I have not been able to find one.

I have nothing but the TV to plug audio into. I am hoping to use my component inputs for a DVD player and an HD receiver I use with my big dish. So I'm trying to use HDMI for Dish Network, which has a DVI output. Since my audio inputs will be used up by the above-mentioned components, I'd really like to find this cable that I was told about.

Maybe I'll have to call Dish Network back and inquire further.

Kevin
post #556 of 2894 Old 10-28-2004, 07:38 PM

By the way, how can I respond to the post I specifically want to respond to? Thanks.

Kevin
post #557 of 2894 Old 10-28-2004, 07:42 PM

Thanks to those who posted here that Walmart has rolled back the price of the 30" 30HT744 HDTV from $697 to $647. I took my receipt to Walmart this evening and asked whether they price matched the new price.

Personnel at the service desk simply did a return and repurchase transaction without any complications and without me having to bring the TV in.

Thanks for the Internet, forums and fellow members. I probably would not have saved this $50 plus $4 for 8% tax if you had not posted this info.

Again, thanks.
TH
post #558 of 2894 Old 10-28-2004, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Peter, the Sanyo's HDTV tuner "will" receive HDTV Cable Channels & Digital Analog Cable Channels as long as they are not "Scrambled" Just think of it just like the regular analog tuner in your tv now, you can receiver regular cable channels but not pay channels or digital channels without a Cable Box. But what most people have found that most of the Digital Cable Channels & HDTV Cable Channels have not been "scrambled" yet so they are being able to pick them up with the HDTV Tuner in the Sanyo & that includes the Digital Cable Music Only Channels. But if you want pay HDTV Channels & etc then you would have to use the Cable Companies HDTV Cable Box to receive them.
post #559 of 2894 Old 10-28-2004, 10:55 PM

I picked up the 30 inch widescreen Sanyo tonight, and I have a question. Is there any way to fix the normal mode bars? What I mean by that is, the bar on the left side of the screen begins to slant towards the bottom... quite noticable. Is there a service menu/calibration that I can fix this issue, or do all the sets have this problem?

Thanks,
-Eagle 117
post #560 of 2894 Old 10-29-2004, 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by buzzly
dakguy:

Download graystrickland's Sanyo Service Manual (link is in the other BIG thread) and check page 17 in the manual to identify the actual type of pincushion problem, then do the adjustment. I did mime in less than 2 mintues by eyeballing.

Would anyone whose made the pincussion corrections to their Sanyo 30 inch be kind enough to write out their settings for service menue numbers 11A - 120? I know every sets not going to have the same settings; nevertheless, I'm having trouble getting my set configured, and this would really help me out tremendously.

Thanks,
-Eagle 117
post #561 of 2894 Old 10-29-2004, 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Teeh
In addition to OTA HD channels, the Sanyo as is can also receive HD/DTV channels over cable without a separate STB if the cable company passes local HD/DTV channels unscrambled. [The fact is, the Sanyo is one of the only TVs that can receive these on most cable systems. Sonys and Samsungs are supposed to, but frequently can't.]
These are known as ClearQAM channels. But for any satellite channels, you'll need an external STB.
TH

Excellent!!! Thanks again!
post #562 of 2894 Old 10-29-2004, 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by johnnyjt
You don't need a Cable Box to get HD on the Sanyo!
So far I get Fox, ABC,NBC, CBS and PBS in HD when they broadcast HD with just the cable feed (No Cable Box).

JohnnyJT
South Philly

How do you know if it is being viewed in HD? I say "viewed" because even though the broadcasting company recorded a show in HD, that does not mean that the cable company is sending it to your tv set in HD. Is there an light indicator or something on the set? And this is HD, not just DT, right?

Thanks Johnny!
post #563 of 2894 Old 10-29-2004, 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bill1313
Peter, the Sanyo's HDTV tuner "will" receive HDTV Cable Channels & Digital Analog Cable Channels as long as they are not "Scrambled" Just think of it just like the regular analog tuner in your tv now, you can receiver regular cable channels but not pay channels or digital channels without a Cable Box. But what most people have found that most of the Digital Cable Channels & HDTV Cable Channels have not been "scrambled" yet so they are being able to pick them up with the HDTV Tuner in the Sanyo & that includes the Digital Cable Music Only Channels. But if you want pay HDTV Channels & etc then you would have to use the Cable Companies HDTV Cable Box to receive them.

OK, Bill, so the Sanyo is pretty much truely a HD receiver. Kinda like in the old days when TVs picked up channels 2-13, but the ones that were cable ready could pick up more (w/o the need of a cable box, as lonfg as they weren't the ch you need to pay extra for). But now, there are analog TVs that pick up cable channels, and then there are HD receivers that pick up those cable channels (where you don't need to pay extra) PLUS the same channels in HD.

I just didn't want to have to buy the set and find out it only works in HD if I have a stupid antenna hooked up to it or had to buy some sort of cable box/decoder (for just the regular non pay/extra channels).

Thanks!
post #564 of 2894 Old 10-29-2004, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How do you know if it is being viewed in HD? I say "viewed" because even though the broadcasting company recorded a show in HD, that does not mean that the cable company is sending it to your tv set in HD. Is there an light indicator or something on the set? And this is HD, not just DT, right?

Thanks Johnny!

There's an information button that shows the resolution of the signal being received. In addition, it's rather easy to tell the difference between HD and SD visually. It's also widescreen in this TV's "letterbox" mode instead of being postage-stamped (letterboxed & pillarboxed as happens when SD content is broadcast in 720p or 1080i, like non-prime time network shows or the non-HD football games).
post #565 of 2894 Old 10-29-2004, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Peter, If I remember right? You will have to use a Cable Splitter though so you can run the Antenna wires to BOTH the HDTV Input & the Analog Input & if you just hook it straight up to the HDTV Input it will not work. So make sure you hookup "BOTH" Antenna Inputs. The great thing about the Sanyo, even though it can be a pain, is that if you don't like it or can't get it to work right on your Cable System Wal-Mart will take it back without any questions. I'm hoping for another price drop right before Xmas or right after
post #566 of 2894 Old 10-29-2004, 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ferrisg
There's an information button that shows the resolution of the signal being received. In addition, it's rather easy to tell the difference between HD and SD visually. It's also widescreen in this TV's "letterbox" mode instead of being postage-stamped (letterboxed & pillarboxed as happens when SD content is broadcast in 720p or 1080i, like non-prime time network shows or the non-HD football games).

Thanks ferruisg!!
post #567 of 2894 Old 10-29-2004, 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bill1313
Peter, If I remember right? You will have to use a Cable Splitter though so you can run the Antenna wires to BOTH the HDTV Input & the Analog Input & if you just hook it straight up to the HDTV Input it will not work. So make sure you hookup "BOTH" Antenna Inputs. The great thing about the Sanyo, even though it can be a pain, is that if you don't like it or can't get it to work right on your Cable System Wal-Mart will take it back without any questions. I'm hoping for another price drop right before Xmas or right after

I just got on this board to say that I finally found a Wal-Mart that has this in stock! I can NOT believe I am buying a "Sanyo". Just a few years back I gave advice against buying Sanyo.

Yes Bill, that is key: being able to return it @ WM. And I think it is 90 days (at least it for internet purchases). Ad if it does go on sale by X-mas, bring in the reciept and ask for the difference back! Oh, and thanks again for the ant tip

Sometimes between now and Monday you'll be hearing about my new purchase! (Oh God, a SANYO!!!!!!)
post #568 of 2894 Old 10-29-2004, 02:10 PM

i wish there was a 1-page description of potential problems to look for before buying this TV. (assuming I have them switch on the tv in-store).
I am wanting to buy this tv in a couple of hours and I'm afraid I don't have the time to go through 30 pages of this topic.
can someone pls pls post a topic with some potential quirks that I should see wherein I should not buy this tv.
I've taken enough favors from friends and family while buying a new house to ask them to lug this tv back and forth from home to walmart.
I appreciate it much!!!
post #569 of 2894 Old 10-30-2004, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by sterno3
I have heard that the PQ advantage of going from component to DVI-->HDMI is going to be barely noticeable on a screen of this size (TRUE?). Granted if you only have a DVI or S-Video to choose from (PC Card), I would DEFINITELY pay the extra for a DVI --> HDMI cable. BUT, if you have a choice between $15 component cables and ~$80 DVI --> HDMI cable, i think you might not notice the difference in PQ, only in your wallet.

Lastly, there if you do get a DVI --> HDMI cable, the manual states that you can use the audio in for the Component 3 jack set to get the sound (apparently the tv looks for audio on the HDMI connection, if it doesn't find it, it defaults to Component 3). HOWEVER, You most likely would just go from your source's optical out to your receiver's optical in though, and bypass the TV's audio in entirely.

the cheapest way is to use a dvi to hdmi adaptor. and then use a belkin dvi cable. works fine thogh it doesnt have the audio but then again my output dusent support audio out haha
post #570 of 2894 Old 10-30-2004, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by gordita
i wish there was a 1-page description of potential problems to look for before buying this TV. (assuming I have them switch on the tv in-store).
I am wanting to buy this tv in a couple of hours and I'm afraid I don't have the time to go through 30 pages of this topic.
can someone pls pls post a topic with some potential quirks that I should see wherein I should not buy this tv.
I've taken enough favors from friends and family while buying a new house to ask them to lug this tv back and forth from home to walmart.
I appreciate it much!!!

well reading this some say theres issues with snow using comp inputs. green banding using the hd pack on x-box. thats about it. but to be honest thetres not as much bad as there are goods.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page