Thank you coomarlin
for responding. I have read this entire thread as well as the other, and searched for answers to my questions. I still need some assistance, if all of you could help.
Let me tell the forum what I have done, as it could help others. I also have these new questions now that I would greatly appreciate some help with.
I called Charter and told them that I had just bought a HDTV and was cancelling my service and going to DirectTV. I told them paying $115/month for Digital Cable and highspeed Net was ridiculous. They asked what DirectTV was going to charge. I told them $39.99 for DirectTV and $24.95 for highspeed access through Bellsouth. The lady (Shanique) was very nice (not normal for Charter) and told me she couldn't beat that price, but would give me my internet access and the full HDTV package for $80. Needless to say, I took it. So I saved $30-$40/month by just calling Charter. The TV is paying for itself!
I have HDNet, ESPN HD, HBO HD, and the local NBC affiliateis HD. It isn't much, but that's what I get for living in Greenville, SC. AntennaWeb showed many more staions available, so I'm going to give that a shot soon.
Onto the issues:
I got the HD STB and hooked it to Component 3 on the TV. I ran a coaxial from the wall to the UHF/VHF/CATV input for analog. I have a Philips DVP-642 DVD player and hooked it to Component 2. I ran S-Video from the STB to my ReplayTV 5504 S-Video input and the S-Video output of the ReplayTV to my TV's S-Video input (Video1). My issues:
1. When I play a DVD (Matrix Reloaded for example), the 16:9 is letterboxed on my 30" Sanyo! The Sanyo is on "Full" pix shape, and the Philips is set to output 16:9 and progressive scan. I thought the whole point of the widescreen TV was no letterboxing of DVD's. Any ideas what is going on here? "Info" shows "Component2 - 720*480(60P).
2. The ReplayTV works OK playing prerecorded material, but I cannot pick up any channels in the Replay "tuner." I get the blue screen and "No Video detected" message. I checked ReplayTvFAQ.com and nothing there helped. Any ideas on how to fix this? I thought I had everything routed correctly. I would connect the cable directly from the wall, but then I can't record the encrypted digital channels on my RTV. Also, I assume I cannot use the Progressive Scan output feature of the RTV without hooking it to the Component inputs of the Sanyo?
3. When watching STV, I press info and get "1920*1080(60I)" for all channels, which is the same I get for ESPN HD. How can this be correct?
4. I am going to hook an antenna to the digital cable input. How do I switch from that "channel list" to the one already on the Sanyo? I know that one wipes out the other. How do you guys handle this> What does the "switch antenna" command do? The manual doesn't explain properly.
5. Lastly, I've used up the 2 component inputs and 1 S-Video input on the Sanyo. I have an Xbox left to hook up, and I want to use the component inputs. How do you guys deal with having too many devices and not enough component inputs?
Thanks for reading. I really appreciate this site and forum. It has given me a wealth of info in the past. Now that I'm dragging my TV viewing into the 21st century, all of you are an invaluable resource. If any of you need patent/trademark/copyright advice, feel free to PM me.