Official Sanyo HT32744/HT30744 thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2894 Old 11-05-2004, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not to be picky but it is actually one digital and one analog input. The digital could be either HD or SD.

Quote:

Originally posted by speedy777
(1 HD, 1 analog)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2894 Old 11-05-2004, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Do you have the 30" or 32"? By selecting 16:9 I believe you are telling the STB that it should send everything out in 16:9 format because that's the format of your tv. Try changing that setting to 4:3. If every channel shows up as 1920x1080i then it sounds like the STB is upconverting everything before sending it to the Sanyo. Also check your zoom setting...the Sanyo could be streching the 4:3 content by default and making it 16:9.

Quote:

Originally posted by coomarlin

UPDATE:
I read a thread about problems with SA 8000 DVR's and found how to access a setup menu that allows me to change a few things. When I did this I got my color back. The steps however ask me to select either 16:9 or 4:3. After selecting 16:9 I am asked to view several different types of signals. 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i. I have the option to save any of those signals that are viewable. They all are and I select to save them all. When I turn the DVR back on and click on the info button every station shows up as 1920x1080 (601). The HD-HBO looks good. But even when I turn to a standard non-HD channel like TBS the info button still shows 1920x1080. What is going on here? It seems like the STB is coverting all channels to 1080i? Is this correct?

post #633 of 2894 Old 11-05-2004, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone noticed a flicker issue with this TV? I saw one or two posts about it on the previous thread, but no conclusive solutions. I seem to be getting it on all inputs, but it's most obvious in still images on the component inputs. As the poster in the previous thread noted, the no input blue box that's displayed when there's nothing connected is flicker free.
post #634 of 2894 Old 11-05-2004, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone think the Sanyo's will be under $600 on "Black Friday" Maybe $597.00
post #635 of 2894 Old 11-05-2004, 12:25 PM

Thats the omen Im waiting for although 650 isnt too bad.
post #636 of 2894 Old 11-05-2004, 12:35 PM

I hope so. As johnamus said $647 isn't bad at all but my worry is a local walmart enployee told me that all their prices typically go up as of Dec 1 for the Christmas holidays then go back down in Jan. I'm hoping this won't be true of this item!
post #637 of 2894 Old 11-05-2004, 12:59 PM

have both the 32" and the 30"ws dropped to $647 in your area at the store, cplbeirs? I'm leaning towards the 32" since so much of tv is still in the 4:3 format and 16:9 format on that screen would be 29.4" (very detailed screen size calculator can be found here: http://www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi) which so close in size to the 30"ws. by contrast, the 30"ws in 4:3 mode is equivilent to a 24.5" screen. Too small for that price!
post #638 of 2894 Old 11-05-2004, 12:59 PM

I'm thinking of buying one of these sets, but I hope someone can answer a question. How is the picture quality on the set with analog cable input? I havea 25 inch crt now that I would be replacing primarily to recieve better xbox and dvd pq. Ive heard something about hdtv's showing analog cable worse than a standard tube, but dont know how the sanyo performs. I apologize if this has been covered already (its a long thread)
post #639 of 2894 Old 11-05-2004, 01:29 PM

I think SD tv looks better on this HDTV 32" then on my 10 year old 25". Very clear and sharp and bright.

I think the 32" is the better choice for me since 90% of my viewing habits are 4:3. I'm sure that with in the next 1-2years you can buy a nice DLP or plasma +42" for under 1500.00. That is what I'm waiting for but this 32" Sanyo will introduce me to the technology for the next couple of years.
post #640 of 2894 Old 11-05-2004, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by johnamus
I'm thinking of buying one of these sets, but I hope someone can answer a question. How is the picture quality on the set with analog cable input? I havea 25 inch crt now that I would be replacing primarily to recieve better xbox and dvd pq. Ive heard something about hdtv's showing analog cable worse than a standard tube, but dont know how the sanyo performs. I apologize if this has been covered already (its a long thread)

MUCH better than my 7 year old 32" Sony!
post #641 of 2894 Old 11-05-2004, 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by varaonaid
In my local stores it's been $697 (dropped from $747). Now, online it's showing $647.

I hope that store prices follow...

You should be able to get it at that price. Read my post located just before yours.
post #642 of 2894 Old 11-05-2004, 01:42 PM

Quote:

I hope so. As johnamus said $647 isn't bad at all but my worry is a local walmart enployee told me that all their prices typically go up as of Dec 1 for the Christmas holidays then go back down in Jan. I'm hoping this won't be true of this item!

You can just buy it now (at $647) and if it goes lower within 90 days, bring in your receipt for a price difference return...or you could keep returning it up to every 90 days just to buy it back at the discounted price
post #643 of 2894 Old 11-05-2004, 01:58 PM

Quote:

or you could keep returning it up to every 90 days just to buy it back at the discounted price

LOL. That would be the mark of a true bargain devotee.
post #644 of 2894 Old 11-05-2004, 02:49 PM

varaonaid, as far as I know just the 30" is $647 the other one is still $697 but your area might be different
post #645 of 2894 Old 11-05-2004, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

I've worked at Wal-Mart for 5 years + with 4+ of those years in the electronics department. I've never seen this sort of thing happen. Usually, prices will drop before Christmas to lure more customers in. In general, if an item goes on Rollback (Wal-Mart name for a sale), it will remain at that price. I've only seen a few items actually go back up in price.

As for the TV's themselves, so far the 30" should be priced at $647 at all stores and the 32" should be at $697 at all stores. Usually, if an associate tells you otherwise, they are either looking at an outdated price tag, or for some reason the price hasn't kicked in at their store level system yet, possibly a store level management decision.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #646 of 2894 Old 11-05-2004, 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by oryan_dunn
....so far the 30" should be priced at $647 at all stores and the 32" should be at $697 at all stores....

When I first took an interest in the Sanyo HT744 series, the 32" 4:3 and the 30" 16:9 both sold for $747 in Walmart stores. Now after a few months, why is the 30" model $50 less than the 32" model?

Is it that the 30" can be manufactured for less compared to the 32" model? Or is it a supply and demand situation, where 30" models are moving out much more slowly than the 32" model?

If the latter is a part of the reason, is this an industry trend...people haven't embraced the new 16:9 format. I've read quite a few posts that argue the benefits of the 4:3 compared to the 16:9 format for prevalently available programming.

Well, I got the 30 inch model and have no regrets. For 4:3 programs, I find a zoom setting that fills the screen and hope that soon all programs will be in 16:9. Too, I later got the $50 price difference refunded after the last price drop. If there is another "rollback," I'll happily stand in line for another refund.
TH
post #647 of 2894 Old 11-05-2004, 07:10 PM

I'm attempting to assist my parents in resolving a volume problem with their new Sanyo HT32744. This is a bit of a challenge as they are in CT and I'm in TX. Quite often when music plays on a program it is extremely loud. So loud, in fact, that it is difficult to hear the dialogue clearly. My parents never had this problem with their old TV. I should also mention that when they purchased the Sanyo they upgraded to the Comcast HD package. Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
post #648 of 2894 Old 11-05-2004, 08:13 PM

Thank you coomarlin and Peter_Klim for responding. I have read this entire thread as well as the other, and searched for answers to my questions. I still need some assistance, if all of you could help.

Let me tell the forum what I have done, as it could help others. I also have these new questions now that I would greatly appreciate some help with.

I called Charter and told them that I had just bought a HDTV and was cancelling my service and going to DirectTV. I told them paying $115/month for Digital Cable and highspeed Net was ridiculous. They asked what DirectTV was going to charge. I told them $39.99 for DirectTV and $24.95 for highspeed access through Bellsouth. The lady (Shanique) was very nice (not normal for Charter) and told me she couldn't beat that price, but would give me my internet access and the full HDTV package for $80. Needless to say, I took it. So I saved $30-$40/month by just calling Charter. The TV is paying for itself! I have HDNet, ESPN HD, HBO HD, and the local NBC affiliateis HD. It isn't much, but that's what I get for living in Greenville, SC. AntennaWeb showed many more staions available, so I'm going to give that a shot soon.

Onto the issues:

I got the HD STB and hooked it to Component 3 on the TV. I ran a coaxial from the wall to the UHF/VHF/CATV input for analog. I have a Philips DVP-642 DVD player and hooked it to Component 2. I ran S-Video from the STB to my ReplayTV 5504 S-Video input and the S-Video output of the ReplayTV to my TV's S-Video input (Video1). My issues:

1. When I play a DVD (Matrix Reloaded for example), the 16:9 is letterboxed on my 30" Sanyo! The Sanyo is on "Full" pix shape, and the Philips is set to output 16:9 and progressive scan. I thought the whole point of the widescreen TV was no letterboxing of DVD's. Any ideas what is going on here? "Info" shows "Component2 - 720*480(60P).

2. The ReplayTV works OK playing prerecorded material, but I cannot pick up any channels in the Replay "tuner." I get the blue screen and "No Video detected" message. I checked ReplayTvFAQ.com and nothing there helped. Any ideas on how to fix this? I thought I had everything routed correctly. I would connect the cable directly from the wall, but then I can't record the encrypted digital channels on my RTV. Also, I assume I cannot use the Progressive Scan output feature of the RTV without hooking it to the Component inputs of the Sanyo?

3. When watching STV, I press info and get "1920*1080(60I)" for all channels, which is the same I get for ESPN HD. How can this be correct?

4. I am going to hook an antenna to the digital cable input. How do I switch from that "channel list" to the one already on the Sanyo? I know that one wipes out the other. How do you guys handle this> What does the "switch antenna" command do? The manual doesn't explain properly.

5. Lastly, I've used up the 2 component inputs and 1 S-Video input on the Sanyo. I have an Xbox left to hook up, and I want to use the component inputs. How do you guys deal with having too many devices and not enough component inputs?

Thanks for reading. I really appreciate this site and forum. It has given me a wealth of info in the past. Now that I'm dragging my TV viewing into the 21st century, all of you are an invaluable resource. If any of you need patent/trademark/copyright advice, feel free to PM me.
post #649 of 2894 Old 11-05-2004, 09:13 PM

2.35: 1 ratio movies like Matrix Reloaded will always have black bars, just not as big as when watching on a 4:3 tv. 1.85:1 movies (Blade 2, Hellboy) will fill up the whole screen.
post #650 of 2894 Old 11-05-2004, 10:22 PM

Thanks, matrixrok10. One issue down, 4 to go.
post #651 of 2894 Old 11-05-2004, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by drbs
I'm attempting to assist my parents in resolving a volume problem with their new Sanyo HT32744. This is a bit of a challenge as they are in CT and I'm in TX. Quite often when music plays on a program it is extremely loud. So loud, in fact, that it is difficult to hear the dialogue clearly. My parents never had this problem with their old TV. I should also mention that when they purchased the Sanyo they upgraded to the Comcast HD package. Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

This can be caused by having the tv's sound set to surround. This will take the two channel sound and try to recreate a surround sound effect with the tv's built in speakers. It works well for some movies, but for most other things, it will boost the music and effects, and deaden the voices. I'm not sure, but I think that these tvs ship with that option enabled. It is in the tv's menu under sound somewhere; it should cover it in the manual. Have them give it a try and see if it clears that issue up.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #652 of 2894 Old 11-05-2004, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by sjshaw
2. The ReplayTV works OK playing prerecorded material, but I cannot pick up any channels in the Replay "tuner." I get the blue screen and "No Video detected" message. I checked ReplayTvFAQ.com and nothing there helped. Any ideas on how to fix this? I thought I had everything routed correctly. I would connect the cable directly from the wall, but then I can't record the encrypted digital channels on my RTV. Also, I assume I cannot use the Progressive Scan output feature of the RTV without hooking it to the Component inputs of the Sanyo?

3. When watching STV, I press info and get "1920*1080(60I)" for all channels, which is the same I get for ESPN HD. How can this be correct?

4. I am going to hook an antenna to the digital cable input. How do I switch from that "channel list" to the one already on the Sanyo? I know that one wipes out the other. How do you guys handle this> What does the "switch antenna" command do? The manual doesn't explain properly.

5. Lastly, I've used up the 2 component inputs and 1 S-Video input on the Sanyo. I have an Xbox left to hook up, and I want to use the component inputs. How do you guys deal with having too many devices and not enough component inputs?

Thanks for reading. I really appreciate this site and forum. It has given me a wealth of info in the past. Now that I'm dragging my TV viewing into the 21st century, all of you are an invaluable resource. If any of you need patent/trademark/copyright advice, feel free to PM me.

Well 1 was already covered. Not sure on 2 as I don't have a replay tv. But I think i may be able to help on the others.

For 3, it sounds like your stb is just upconverting everything and sending the signal along as HD. This is not converting the actual source to HD, just taking the analog signal and sending it to your tv that way. This is usually done so that the tv doesn't have to change sync modes every time you change a channel. I don't know any specifics of your cable box, but you may be able to change this setting if you want the stb to send everythign along natively.

On 4, this tv actually has 3 channel lists. One is the analog list, another is the digital antenna list, and the third is the digital cable list. With this tv, you can only have one of the digital lists active at any one time, but the tv will remember the channels, so you can change your tv from digital antenna to digital cable list, and it will remember the settings (this is useful if you use an a/b switch to switch between an antenna and your cable from the wall going into the digital port).

And on 5. there are many options. One is to get an audio reciever that has component switching. Another is to get a high end component switch like a zextor or similar. A third option is to get a pelican system selector pro that has 7 component inputs, ethernet switching, as well as optical audio switching (normally sells for around 90-100 bucks). I use the pelican, as I didn't see the need to spend an extravegant amount on a switchbox, and I wanted all those other switching capabilities. And (disclaimer: i work for walmart), we have a new pelican component switch that has 3 component inputs, one component output, ethernet switching, and 10 interchangeable face plates. This thing sells for 25 bucks. Not sure if all walmarts will carry this, but probably most supercenters. I would be willing ot bet that other stores that carry pelican accessories, such as best buy or circuit city, will also carry this for a similar price.

Ryan

post #653 of 2894 Old 11-05-2004, 11:04 PM

Ryan,

Thanks so much. I will look into the Pelican component switch. I've been back and forth to Wally World so much the past 2 days I feel like I work there too.

I don't have anything currently hooked to the digital port. If I hook the antenna up to it, is that where I use the "Antenna Switch" option to make the unit choose which digital list to make active, or is there another way?

Now I have to get this ReplayTV issue resolved. I found a thread at PlanetReplay that purported to solve the problem, but it isn't working for me.

Steve
post #654 of 2894 Old 11-06-2004, 04:54 AM

Hi Steve,
Sorry I responded late, even though I only had answeres for 1 & 5.

(My friends can't believe that a gadget guy like me still doesn't have things like TiVo and satellite. If I did, I probably would've know the answeres).

I just got this tv a few days ago and will be getting some cables and splitters today - then I may have some questions for you too!

Glad your getting your issues resolved!
post #655 of 2894 Old 11-06-2004, 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by drbs
I'm attempting to assist my parents in resolving a volume problem with their new Sanyo HT32744. This is a bit of a challenge as they are in CT and I'm in TX. Quite often when music plays on a program it is extremely loud.

On their remote:
Press Menu, select Picture/Sound,Manual,Surround,Off,Exit
That all there is to it!
Enjoy

Dave N2LAK
post #656 of 2894 Old 11-06-2004, 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by oryan_dunn
... this tv actually has 3 channel lists. One is the analog list, another is the digital antenna list, and the third is the digital cable list. With this tv, you can only have one of the digital lists active at any one time, but the tv will remember the channels, so you can change your tv from digital antenna to digital cable list, and it will remember the settings (this is useful if you use an a/b switch to switch between an antenna and your cable from the wall going into the digital port). ...
Ryan

I have an A-B switch installed for the digital RF input so this input can access digital cable and a rooftop antenna, but I haven't found a way to switch back and forth without having to rescan the channels each time whenever I change inputs.

Please explain to me how you do this.
Thanks,
TH
post #657 of 2894 Old 11-06-2004, 06:04 AM

Yesterday was my first full day of watching HD programs. I have a few comments. I figured out why I couldn't get the local broadcast channels via clearQAM. The problem unfortunately for me is that the wiring in my walls are crap. I have an apartment thats about 12 years old and the wiring is very cheap. It's thin. I can't redily change or replace the wiring. I found the wiring to be the problem by connecting a 40 foot piece of heavy duty RG-6 directly from the splitter that comes into the apartment across my living room to the TV. After that a rescan of the digital tuner gave me the ClearQAM CBS, ABC, and NBC feeds. CBS/NBC show up as 1920x1080 (60i) while ABC shows up as 1280x720 (60p). The picture was incredibly good and I couldn't have asked for anything better. Anyway, back to my HD-DVR. It's connected to my TV via component 3. Through the STB I can get CBSHD, ABCHD, NBCHD, HDNET, ESPNHD, HDMOV, HBOHD, and INHD. There is however an issue. There is a very slight decrease in quality between the STB and the built in digital tuner. The STB HD pictures tend to suffer from very faint interferance of some type. I don't know if this is because of the component input or the STB itself. I tried both component inputs and also tried multiple cables. I didn't notice any interference via component with my DVD player (although admittedly not a progressive scan player). Anyway, it's very very faint and most of the time it's not noticable. I've only noticed it on the HD channels because the reception is so crystal clear that any anomoly shows up.

I doubt if my landlord would pay to rewire the place. Could be a royal PITA. I may need to try to rig up a line as discretly as possible from the access panel to the TV. I hate the thought of doing this, but I don't want to be without my HD monday night football.
post #658 of 2894 Old 11-06-2004, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Teeh
I have an A-B switch installed for the digital RF input so this input can access digital cable and a rooftop antenna, but I haven't found a way to switch back and forth without having to rescan the channels each time whenever I change inputs.

Please explain to me how you do this.
Thanks,
TH

I'm sorry, I think I might have misspoke. I've been researching so many tv's and hd tuners, I think I was thinking of the LG tuner. But for some reason, I was thinking that someone in the old thread said this tv could do it. Unfortunately, I don't have time to look now, but you could do a search through that thread and see if anything comes up. I would test it at work, but all we have is a digital antenna, no digital cable to switch between.

post #659 of 2894 Old 11-06-2004, 08:22 AM

is there a way to fix the tilt in the service menu?
post #660 of 2894 Old 11-06-2004, 05:56 PM

My first post. I'm seriously thinking about buying the 32" model tomorrow. I've searched and searched every where but I keep coming back to this unit. It will replace a 26" RCA Colortrak 2000 that is about 16 years old. It's been a great set with good sound because it has separate woofers and tweeters. The coax connector has a problem and we now have to tune through a VCR with the AV jacks. It will be passed down to our sons for their video games. Anyway I've read most of the threads on this unit and it sure sounds great. Has anyone bought the extended warranty available online only from WM? It's $40.52 for 3 years, sounds cheap enough. Boy buying a TV used to be simple but that's not the case anymore. Are there any other units near the price and size that I should consider?
Thanks,
Grateful11
PS: Can't post a link here to the warranty because I haven't made enough postings yet.

Grateful11
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page