Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2894 Old 11-12-2004, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Originally posted by gordita
you could always take the TV out of the box at wallyworld, put the tv on the passenger seat (vertically) and then collapse the box and put it in your trunk.

True, but you better have a couple of people to help you. It's not just the size, its the weight. The 32 inch set weight close to 150 lbs. Me and my father had enough trouble just getting it into the entertainment center - I can't imagine trying to stuff it in the passenger seat of anything.

My opinion is that if you try to get this TV into anything besides a pickup truck or full size cargo van, you're crazy. As noted before, Home Depot rents trucks for abotu $20 per hour. Save yourself a headache and do that. This thing is so big and heavy that once we got the box out of the truck, we decided the best way to get it into the house was to roll the box end over end. Worked fine.

Oh, and my 32 inch set did not come with any setup DVD as another poster mentioned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2894 Old 11-12-2004, 09:06 AM

Liked: 10
Sorry to post this again, I fear that it got lost by editing it into my previous post:

Anybody know if this will accept VGA into the HDMI input via a VGA-DVI adapter and then a DVI-HDMI adapter (crazy, I know, but I'm hooked on my Dreamcast VGA box)

Also, if anyone in SoCal knows which Wal-Marts have them, I'd appreciate knowing because on the Sanyo site it says they have them at the Supercenters, and the only one around here is way out East by Lake Elsinore. Anyway, I guess I'll call regular Wal-Marts around here to see if they have them, but I figued I might as well ask before I do. Thanks :-)
post #723 of 2894 Old 11-12-2004, 10:21 AM

I found mine at the walmart in the city of Orange. This is in central Orange County off the 55 freeway.
post #724 of 2894 Old 11-12-2004, 11:35 AM

The 30" is also a big, heavy sucker, box or not. It does fit into an Xterra, but it's definitely a two person job to lift or carry it, no way around that.

If this inspires you, it CAN be carried up a flight of stairs in the box with minimal injuries.

Once you get it out of the box, you will notice--you've been warned--that this set is EXTREMELY front-heavy!

I made a deal with a friend to help me carry it up and put it on the stand, and I would sell him my old set at a huge loss for his trouble. We got the old one out and new one in, and I helped him set up my old TV as well. Fair enough deal for everyone.
post #725 of 2894 Old 11-12-2004, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by upNdown
As noted before, Home Depot rents trucks for abotu $20 per hour. .

An Hour??? That's insance.

But if the store is close, rent a small pickup type U-haul truck by the day- $20 (plus it's 99 cents a mile).

http://reservations.uhaul.com/
post #726 of 2894 Old 11-12-2004, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally posted by DJTommyR
-you've been warned--that this set is EXTREMELY front-heavy!

Pretty much every CRT is front heavy. If you start with that knowledge, then planning on how to move the set will be easier. Almost all TV boxes have the front labeled on the top and front/sides. While on the subject of tv weight, at work i've found that many people think that plasma tv's must be really light to be able to hang them on the wall. Most are supprised to learn that they are infact relatively heavy, given their size. A plasma 42" with a wall mount kit can easily weight over 125lbs.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #727 of 2894 Old 11-12-2004, 06:25 PM

If anyone could help me out quickly.. I need to know if anyone fixed the Xbox and green lines problem yet? What about the tilt correction? I want to buy this TV but need to know about this first since I will be using it mainly for Xbox, DVDs (PS2) and regular cable? Is this TV good for my needs or should I stick to analog?
post #728 of 2894 Old 11-12-2004, 09:03 PM

I hooked up an antenna to get the local HDTV channels. I am able to get ABC, FOX, and UPN.

However I can't pick up NBC and CBS. My other HDTV picks these channels up fine and I know what the channel number is.

The Sanyo only seems to let you search and list the channels it finds. You cant enter the channel like 3-1. There also is no ( - dash ) button.

How can I enter a digital channel number manually so I can adjust the signal strength?

Thanks.
post #729 of 2894 Old 11-12-2004, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Unfortunately, I think there is no way to do that. It is a shortcomming of the tv.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #730 of 2894 Old 11-13-2004, 04:21 AM

To manually enter a channel number make sure your on digital channel input then just punch in the first two numbers or first number depending on the station. If you want channel 33.1 enter 33 and it will go to 33.1 ect.
you have to use the up & down channel to get the sub stations.(33.2 or 33.3)
Also works the same on analog or other inputs.
post #731 of 2894 Old 11-13-2004, 07:06 AM

Can the 32' zoom in on HD (or Digital signals) without losing resolution? Not that I'm going to crop HD, of course, but for windowboxed SD programming.

Ben
post #732 of 2894 Old 11-13-2004, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mrpergo
To manually enter a channel number make sure your on digital channel input then just punch in the first two numbers or first number depending on the station. If you want channel 33.1 enter 33 and it will go to 33.1 ect.
you have to use the up & down channel to get the sub stations.(33.2 or 33.3)
Also works the same on analog or other inputs.

That will work if the channel is already in the digital channel list, but if the channel was to week to find, then when you punch in that number, it will just jump to the nearest channel in the database. If this is not how yours works and it allows you to enter in a channel number on the digital tuner that isn't in the digital channel list, then you must have a newer version of the software or something. And if that is the case, I wonder if there is anyway sanyo could give updates?

post #733 of 2894 Old 11-13-2004, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cplbeirs
hi all still loving my tv. I have my xbox hooked up to component 3 and I set up the xbox to output 480i 480p 720p and 1080i, and set the tv type for video to widescreen, now when i play halo 2 as with any other game it runs in 4:3 mode(pillarbox) is that standard, and when I blow the image up to full screen it cuts off some of the image is it espcially on the left side it seems. is that how it is supposed to work?

That appears to be a Halo 2 issue: link
post #734 of 2894 Old 11-13-2004, 10:50 AM

"4. What Digital resolution will my television display?
It will display 480i /480p / 720p / 1080i depending on the broadcasting station. Press the INFO key on the remote control to determine the resolution being received."

LINK :

http://www.sanyo.com/entertainment/t...igitaltv.cfm#4

does this mean these TVs can display 720p?
post #735 of 2894 Old 11-13-2004, 11:12 AM

Yeah
It will accept a 720p signal and convert it to 1080i.
You wont see a true 720p signal on this set, but from my understanding the 1080i that it converts to is visually similar.
post #736 of 2894 Old 11-13-2004, 10:11 PM

Well after looking at the Sanyo 30' at Wall-Mart the on Thursday night, I decided NOT to buy this TV.

This set as some serious geometry issues. I also went to check out the "static on component inputs" and sure enough, the static was there.

So after reading about all the little glitches the Sano has, on Friday I purchased a Sony KV-30HS420 instead. I got a great deal on it (list is $999 and I purchased it for $855 with coupons/sale price)

I think the Sanyo is and OK TV and a great value, but it just does not compare to the Sony performance wise.
post #737 of 2894 Old 11-14-2004, 01:15 PM

What I am picking up on are four things:

1. These units apparently have "geometry issues". In other words, the yoke on the back of their CRT has become twisted. This typically happens when a big screen is being MOVED incorrectly (set down too hard). For example, someone posted this and the blood drained out of my head:

"This thing is so big and heavy that once we got the box out of the truck, we decided the best way to get it into the house was to roll the box end over end."

I would assume that the stockers at Walmart and some of the other people here reporting "geometry issues" are equally ignorant of how big-screen CRTs are designed. The only way to correct this after the yoke has been shifted like that is to call a TV repairman to come out and re-align the 50kVA coil.

2. Many people here seem unaware that 720p is not designed to be displayed on any CRT-based device. A CRT is inherently an analog device, unlike LCD. A CRT's electron guns are sweeping from left to right, from top to bottom at a fixed frequency and this process simply cannot handle 720p very efficiently, regardless of vendor. LCDs are ideal for 720p. Plasma and DLP are hybrid analog/digital technologies that may or may not properly handle 720p, depending on how they are implemented. Of course the problem with LCDs is that they typically can't show black very well (because they are backlit) and the problem with Plasma is that they burn out after 50,000 hours ($6/hr to watch TV!) and DLP is still rather expensive.

3. Many people here have reported picture quality symptoms that could be attributable to poor RF (radio frequency) shielding and cheap component-video connectors. This seems all too typical of Chinese produced products.

4. The on-board software on this unit apparently does not let people channel-surf with some of the channels coming from the Over The Air (OTA) digital tuner and others being assigned to the Coaxial analog tuner. What's the point of a TV that does not let you channel-surf properly? Apparently Sanyo's customers are forced to enter OTA digital mode to view digital channels and enter Coaxial analog mode to view their standard CATV channels (sort of the way Microsoft thinks vs. the way Apple thinks). One solution would be to use an external digital tuner (perhaps from cable, satellite or USDTV.com), but the problems of (3) come about.

Thus, in the end, buying this TV is like lighting $300-$500 on fire. For $300-$500 less, you can get a 36" analog TV, probably made in the same Chinese factory. If you really want HD, there is an HDTV card for your PC (or an external HD-tuner) that costs $200 and there are LCD/DLP-based projectors for under $1000 now. In the end, consider that Social Security will be bankrupt soon and you must have 15 times your annual earnings saved before retirement or you will lose your freedom (or worse). Are you going to look back and remember the days when you were buying "wanna-be" Chinese HDTVs and blowing big bucks on expensive cables? If you can't afford a real (LCD-based) HDTV, stay analog and send $20 of the difference to your local food bank (before 11/24) and put that other $280-$480 into your Roth IRA (or toward opening one). I put this financial stuff in my post because this is apparently a Walmart-only product that appears to sacrifice quality for price, a hallmark of Walmart merchandise. If you are buying staples (clothing, consumables, etc..), it may be acceptable to sacrifice quality for price, but for big ticket items such as HDTVs, home appliances, furniture, sports equipment, auto parts, etc.. you will usually wind up losing in the end.
post #738 of 2894 Old 11-14-2004, 05:18 PM

I think that last post is a bunch of BS!

This is the best bang for your buck < 36" HDTV. I do not see any of the symptoms "SOME" of the people are reporting. Yes maybe some nimrod dropped or handled their TV incorrectly but like any other forum out there it is for people to find answeres to problems. Any other forum topic on this board has "SOME" people complaining about their TV, whether it be Sony or Apex. People are not throwing away their money we just live on a budget that only enabled us to get a CRT based HDTV.

As I sit here typing this after just watching my first NFL game on HDTV Fox and not seeing any problems I know I got a bargain. My Sanyo is NOT my main TV, it is a master bedroom TV. So this will tide me over till my 5 year old Sony 61" dies (than it is DLP time).

So all you people out there that are hesitant about this TV and are on a limited budget My recommendation is go for it.

Back to my heavenly HDTV viewing.

BTW I do have an HTPC that has one of those fancy HDTV cards. Well lets just say it is not being used on the Sanyo since I can pick up more channels without it.
post #739 of 2894 Old 11-14-2004, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Recognize tgray2k's thread for what it is, troll bait, and read it with that mindset. It will make more sense that way. Some things he said are true, others are plain wrong. I'd write up a longer response, but I've got much to much homework tonight to do that.

post #740 of 2894 Old 11-14-2004, 05:31 PM

Back on topic, as I stated in my last post I am in HDTV heaven since yesterday.

I picked up my 32" yesterday and me and my 125lb wife were able to lift it onto our stand without much trouble (shoot its only 150lbs). I was able to unloaded it from my SUV onto a skateboard and wheel it to the front door then it was just pushing it to its location to be unboxed.

Sure channel surfing takes a little getting used to but once you figure out some shortcuts its like any other thing you get new and have to figure it out.

There is no other TV I would have bought +/- $200 that can compare to this.

I have hooked up the kids Xbox and did not see any problems (It is one of the first ones made).

A note on the Wallmart policy for these TV's.
1. Yes it has the 90 satisfaction guaranty
2. Yes it has a 1 year warranty through Wallmart, However after the 90 days Walmart will send the TV out for repair and you pick it up when it is fixed. The manager where I bought it said more than likely they would just give me credit towards a new one than deal with the repair but said that would be a store to store decision.
post #741 of 2894 Old 11-14-2004, 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by oryan_dunn
Recognize tgray2k's thread for what it is, troll bait, and read it with that mindset. It will make more sense that way. Some things he said are true, others are plain wrong. I'd write up a longer response, but I've got much to much homework tonight to do that.

Shoot if would not have been so pissed I would have seen that he only had 1 post and that was it. I wouldn't have wasted my time.
post #742 of 2894 Old 11-14-2004, 08:25 PM

Another note on the static. It now only sometimes shows on the component inputs *and* on analog TV channels. When it does show on the analog cable tv stations; only on some stations will the static/snow show up (hooked up another tv to the line and it was fine). Very weird still.
post #743 of 2894 Old 11-15-2004, 09:44 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Originally posted by tgray2k
What I am picking up on are four things:

1. These units apparently have "geometry issues". In other words, the yoke on the back of their CRT has become twisted. This typically happens when a big screen is being MOVED incorrectly (set down too hard). For example, someone posted this and the blood drained out of my head:

"This thing is so big and heavy that once we got the box out of the truck, we decided the best way to get it into the house was to roll the box end over end."

I put this financial stuff in my post because this is apparently a Walmart-only product that appears to sacrifice quality for price, a hallmark of Walmart merchandise.

That was me Tgray2k. I rolled my TV. Is the blood draining from your head again? Don't go losing any sleep on my account. My 32" has no noticible geometry issues. I doubt it has perfect geometry, but it is my TV, and since I don't notice any problems - then are no problems.

As far as Walmart merchandise goes, I can only speak to this TV, as I usually don't buy anything at Wallmart. Clearly, compromises have to be made for an HDTV to be sold at this pricepoint. As far as I can tell, these compromises have been made at the expense of FEATURES, not QUALITY. And for my money, these compromises are just fine.
post #744 of 2894 Old 11-15-2004, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I "very carefully" rolled my TV, still in the box, and it came out fine.

People reading this forum that are still shopping, remember this:

The BEST PRODUCT in the world (whatever it is) , will have some site on the internet where people hate it, and the WORST product in the world, you can find some people that absolutely love it, so remember this when evaluating and researching your purchase.

I have been very happy with mine, and plan to purchase a 50 inch plasma in the next year or so, and will move this TV to the bedroom.
post #745 of 2894 Old 11-15-2004, 10:45 AM

hey guys great job on these tv's ....i decided to get the 30" widescreen & and loving it so far. but i have a question

ive my ps2 on video 1 and hooked up through s-video cable...ive set it up for the 16:9 screen but when i play a dvd movie its not covering the whole screen and i was wandering if theirs anything that im missing.

thanx for any help you can give
post #746 of 2894 Old 11-15-2004, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ksoutheard
hey guys great job on these tv's ....i decided to get the 30" widescreen & and loving it so far. but i have a question

ive my ps2 on video 1 and hooked up through s-video cable...ive set it up for the 16:9 screen but when i play a dvd movie its not covering the whole screen and i was wandering if theirs anything that im missing.

thanx for any help you can give

That setting is only for games on the ps2. You have to put in a dvd movie, start the movie and then press stop. Now push the select key on the remote to bring up the dvd settings, then go to "setup" then to video. In there there is a setting for tv type. Set this to 16:9 and you should be good to go.

post #747 of 2894 Old 11-15-2004, 12:48 PM

ok i made it to where the 4:3 is on the menu but i hit every button on the remote and it wont bring up the 16:9 option ...anything else i should do to bring up the 16:9 option?

thanx alot again lol
post #748 of 2894 Old 11-15-2004, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ksoutheard
ok i made it to where the 4:3 is on the menu but i hit every button on the remote and it wont bring up the 16:9 option ...anything else i should do to bring up the 16:9 option?

thanx alot again lol

Its squirly. You need to put in a movie and start the actual movie, then press stop, so that you get a black screen. From there, press select then "setup" then video. The option should be unlocked and be changeable (if it is in white, then it is locked; blue means that you can select it and change it). Then to make sure the change stays, you have to eject the disk first, then turn it off. It took me a while to figure out how to change it the first time i needed to.

post #749 of 2894 Old 11-15-2004, 04:46 PM

ok ive got it changed to 16:9 but the movies still arent filling up the whole screen

got anymore help? lol
post #750 of 2894 Old 11-15-2004, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Make sure you have your tv set to full and the dvd is an anamorphic widescreen (Enhanced 16:9)

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page