Official Sanyo HT32744/HT30744 thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 2894 Old 12-06-2004, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, new poster to the site here. I've been reading and browsing this thread for quite a while because I've been very interested in the HT30744. Well, I went ahead and bought the TV... it's on layaway at Walmart right now and I'm picking it up next week when I move into my new apartment.

I'm not going to have the internet for a little while so I'd like to get some information now that I can write down or something.

- Are there any adjustments that should be made to the TV right out of the box to get the most out of the picture quality?

- What is the best DVI to HDMI adapter/cable to get so that I can connect my PC to it and what is the best resolution to run the PC at?

Thanks guys! If there are any other pointers you can think of, feel free to let me know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 2894 Old 12-07-2004, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
The best thing to do is grab yourself an Avia, DVE, or similar calibration disk and put the tv through its paces. At the very least, run it through the thx optimizer available on many dvd's out there. This will get you a much better picture than factory settings and will get you close to what an ISF could do to (to the untrained eye, a calibration dvd is plenty).

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #813 of 2894 Old 12-07-2004, 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by oryan_dunn

To get into the service menu, unplug the tv, hold down volume down on the cabinet, plug the tv back in and when the picture comes up, let off of the volume down. And here is the customary warning to WRITE DOWN EVERYTHING that you plan to change, before you change it, so you have the option of reverting back to the defaults for your set.

Ryan

Thanks a lot dude. Now would you happen to know exactly which setting in the menu refers to the horizontal stretch and horizontal position of the set?
post #814 of 2894 Old 12-07-2004, 08:02 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by neitzb
First, thanks to everyone for posting so much about this TV, it helped me a great deal with my decision. I'm working on getting my OTA antenna setup and in the mean time have questions on the PQ with SD through DirectTV. I love my DirectTV Tivo box and am not willing to shell out a grand on the HD Tivo box, so SD will have to do for now. I have the receiver hooked up with S-video and am not too thrilled with the quality. Color is fine, but it seems to "draw" a lot that is noticable on close ups of peoples faces as well as stationary background objects. I thought it might be the SD signal, so I tried my dvd that is using composites, and I still see it drawing on Star Wars. When I say "drawing", what I mean is it is constanly changing shades by pixels and it ends up appearing grainy. (It looks a lot like some of the big plasmas at BB or CC when they are not clear) The only time I don't notice it is on my Tivo menu which is crisp and clear. I haven't changed any of the factory settings. Since the manual doesn't help with any settings, please let me know what I can do to fix this. Also, what is that scanning setting in the menu option? The one with off, low, and high as the options? And the DVD that came with the TV, will it be any help?

I have a Tivo/DVD combo unit and even though its hooked up with component cables, tivo programming still looks like crap (comparively speaking or course). My solution is to only watch through TIVO when I'm actually watching a tivo'd program - I never watch live TV through Tivo on this TV. If that solution isn't acceptable to you, (and I know a lot of Tivo people would scoff at that), then I think you either need to live with the grainyness or exchange the TV for a standard definition TV.
post #815 of 2894 Old 12-07-2004, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by upNdown
I have a Tivo/DVD combo unit and even though its hooked up with component cables, tivo programming still looks like crap (comparively speaking or course). My solution is to only watch through TIVO when I'm actually watching a tivo'd program - I never watch live TV through Tivo on this TV. If that solution isn't acceptable to you, (and I know a lot of Tivo people would scoff at that), then I think you either need to live with the grainyness or exchange the TV for a standard definition TV.

I do the same exact thing. Only watch through the Tivo on tivo'ed programs.
post #816 of 2894 Old 12-07-2004, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by finger11
I do the same exact thing. Only watch through the Tivo on tivo'ed programs.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'm out of luck though since it's a DirectTV Tivo, and without running it through the tivo/receiver I end up with nothing. I played with the settings last night and realized the factory contrast was maxed out, so after backing it way down a lot of the graininess went with it. I think I'll chalk most of this up to the fact that I am still looking at SD and until I get a progressive scan dvd player that I won't be able to start reaping the benefits. Thanks again!

Brent
post #817 of 2894 Old 12-07-2004, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oryan_dunn
The best thing to do is grab yourself an Avia, DVE, or similar calibration disk and put the tv through its paces. At the very least, run it through the thx optimizer available on many dvd's out there. This will get you a much better picture than factory settings and will get you close to what an ISF could do to (to the untrained eye, a calibration dvd is plenty).

Thanks for your quick reply! Where can I get one of these calibration discs and is one of them better than the others?
post #818 of 2894 Old 12-07-2004, 11:42 AM

You can get those disks form Amazon or even Circuit city. I just rent them from my local blockbuster. The Avia disks are more expensive ~$40. You can get Digital Video Esentials for under $20.
post #819 of 2894 Old 12-07-2004, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by coomarlin
You can get those disks form Amazon or even Circuit city. I just rent them from my local blockbuster. The Avia disks are more expensive ~$40. You can get Digital Video Esentials for under $20.

Awesome, thanks What about the DVI/HDMI cables/adapters to hook my PC up to the TV? I'm not sure exactly what I should be looking for...
post #820 of 2894 Old 12-07-2004, 12:35 PM

You've got two options. You can pick up a HDMI to DVI cable like the one shown Here or if you already have a DVI-to-DVI cable you can buy an adapter like the one shown here. Both should work. I've heard that these ebay cables are Okay, but if you want to spend big bucks you can buy monster cables that will cost you over $100 !

I was going to try DVI-to-HDMI cable buy by STB does not have it's DVI port enabled
post #821 of 2894 Old 12-07-2004, 12:43 PM

I can't get either one of those links to work They have a bunch of *******
post #822 of 2894 Old 12-07-2004, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'm out of luck though since it's a DirectTV Tivo, and without running it through the tivo/receiver I end up with nothing. I played with the settings last night and realized the factory contrast was maxed out, so after backing it way down a lot of the graininess went with it. I think I'll chalk most of this up to the fact that I am still looking at SD and until I get a progressive scan dvd player that I won't be able to start reaping the benefits. Thanks again!

I don't know the specifics of your new TV, but I do have suggestions for settings that will improve the viewable picture for digitally transmitted or recorded programs. These work for TiVo recordings (DirecTV or stand-alone), live satellite channels, and live digital cable channels. These suggestions have been shared widely on this forum in a variety of threads.

These settings appear on nearly every TV but sometimes with slightly different labels:

1. Sharpness - should typically be set somewhere between zero (no "enhancement") and 1/3. Sharpness artifically enhances the horizontal edges of picture detail and gives the illusion of a sharper picture. With digital pictures, sharpness "enhancement" overemphasizes unnatural small blocks that make up the picture and things look terrible. Also, sharpness increases the graininess of the picture. I usually set sharpness by eye, looking at edges and digital source pictures to minimize or eliminate the unnatural grain or edges. For HD pictures, sharpness is usually best set at zero. The DVD setup disks have tests for helping achieve a good sharpness setting also.

2. Scan Velocity Modulation (SVM) - should typically be set to off. This is another attempt to "enhance" picture detail that tends to give artificial-looking results.

3. Contrast - out-of-the-box settings are usually way too high, overemphasizing digital and analog picture artifacts. This control actually sets the limit for the "whitest" white in the picture. The DVD setup disks have aids for setting contrast also. Typical settings are 50% or less, but this varies widely by TV brand and model. (Older Sony TVs used to label this control as "picture." I have not looked at the newer Sony's.)

4. Brightness - out-of-the-box settings are extreme here also. This control actually sets the limit for "blackest" black in the picture. The DVD setup disks have aids for setting brightness. Typical settings are 50% or less, but this varies widely by TV brand and model. (Some TVs have labeled this control as "black level.")

5. Color - out-of-the-box settings are often too high here as well. The trick here is to achieve natural levels of color and avoid setting it too high. Too much here is another way to over-exagerate the small color differences that may exist between the small blocks that make up a digital picture.

The end result should be an overall softening of the picture which turns out to be more natural looking than the artifical sharpening enhancements that were originally designed to make an already soft analog picture appear to be sharper than it really is.

As always, YMMV. After you have some experience with these, you will be able to adjust them to your liking and minimize the inherent "roughness" of a digital picture on your TV.

I hope these suggestions will help you.

Good luck!!

Dave
post #823 of 2894 Old 12-07-2004, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am about to jump the gun on one of these and my question is, does the component video accept 480i? from what I read it will take 480p,720p, and 1080i, but what about 480i? Thanks!
post #824 of 2894 Old 12-07-2004, 06:44 PM

As a true newbie, just wonderin whats the diff between 480p and 480i?
post #825 of 2894 Old 12-07-2004, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Aaron, Yes.
From the Owners Manual: Component Video Inputs.
These jacks will automatically detect the type of signal being received (HDTV, EDTV or SDTV).
post #826 of 2894 Old 12-07-2004, 09:22 PM

Had reason to check the walmart website... Is it just me, or is the 32" model gone?
post #827 of 2894 Old 12-07-2004, 09:51 PM

I had the 32" page bookmarked, its still there but its out of stock, so its not linked from the site.

Has anyone pinpointed to problem with the Sanyo and Xbox with the green lines? This is another concern of mine. Thanks.
post #828 of 2894 Old 12-08-2004, 10:46 AM

Sorry if this has been covered. I know that there aren't discrete remote control codes for going directly to an input but I thought I saw somewhere that there was a code for one of the inputs.

If this were true it could be used as a baseline for a macro and the correct input could be located. Any info would be welcome.
post #829 of 2894 Old 12-08-2004, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

i bought a monstercable dvi to hdmi adapter and just recivered my 25foot dvi cable from stsi.com for cheap. they are an ebay saler but thier website was cheeper. and it does work fine
post #830 of 2894 Old 12-08-2004, 08:19 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for all of the reading material. This thread was instrumental in guiding my purchase of the 30" model - just got it all connected an hour ago. I've made some initial adjustments to the contrast/brightness/color settings - I'm extremely happy with it so far! Thanks everyone!
post #831 of 2894 Old 12-09-2004, 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Budget_HT
I don't know the specifics of your new TV, but I do have suggestions for settings that will improve the viewable picture for digitally transmitted or recorded programs. These work for TiVo recordings (DirecTV or stand-alone), live satellite channels, and live digital cable channels. These suggestions have been shared widely on this forum in a variety of threads.
I hope these suggestions will help you.

Good luck!!

Thanks Dave, that's great information.

Brent
post #832 of 2894 Old 12-09-2004, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Dave, that's great information.

You're welcome. I have learned MUCH from this forum and I enjoy the opportunity to give some back.

One more thought:

Don't be "scared off" by the soft SDTV picture that you will see after adjusting the settings. I found that it took me a couple of days of watching to get used to not having the artificial "sharpness" that is common with the out-of-the-box settings on most TVs.

After you get used to the "new" picture, you will probably not like what you see on other mal-adjusted TVs.

Let us know how you fare.

Dave
post #833 of 2894 Old 12-09-2004, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Davis
I had the 32" page bookmarked, its still there but its out of stock, so its not linked from the site.

Has anyone pinpointed to problem with the Sanyo and Xbox with the green lines? This is another concern of mine. Thanks.

I too had it bookmarked, and it looks to be sold out online (actually i saw it go out of stock-to in stock and back out wihtin 3 hours) But I saw one in my local store, so I'd assume you could find one locally. They had one on display, but nothing hooked up, or at least no way without the remote to do anything, but it looked good off...

Im just wondering on getting the 32" Sanyo, or a 32" Samsung from best buy, the samsung is a bit more expensive, but I did just get a Best buy card... Anyone done a comparison between these two? With the promotion with the best buy card, it comes to a $50 difference.

EDIT I just noticed a couple of small differences, the Sanyo has HDMI input while the Samsung has DVI, but thats just a different connector right? Also the Samsung has dual HD tuners, while the dual tuners on the Sanyo is one SD and one HD, I think dual tuner HD would be good, though I doubt I will ever use any PIP features, as I have 4 ReplayTVs and will just record the other show.
post #834 of 2894 Old 12-09-2004, 05:18 PM

Hi. Thanks to many, many comments I've read here I've just purchased the Sanyo 30" HDTV. Now all I have to do is figure out how to set it up to maximize all of my hardware

Currently I'm simply running live TV through my TiVo, which is giving me a less than stellar picture (obviously) but it was a quick way to get things up and running quickly so I could at least use my TV for a bit.

So, if possible I'd like to get some setup advice. I use no cable set-top boxes at all (cable comes right out of the wall and into the TV) and I want to maximize my TiVo, X-Box and DVD player. IS there an optimal way to set these things up with the Sanyo 30"? Any advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Also (final question I promise) is it "normal" for the full screen setting to squish the picture of regular TV? Is there a way to compensate for this in settings?

Thanks again.

Chris
post #835 of 2894 Old 12-10-2004, 10:18 PM

I bought the 30" sanyo last monday and I noticed that the picture is squished on the sides. I have gone through the service menu and can't seem to get the pisture any better. I have my Philips dvd player (it plays divx movie too) through component, my directtv through s-video,my pc is on component 3, and ota hd (5 -6 channels).It is the same with all of them. It is hardly noticable until there is a slow panning shot(when the see the first ddino in jurrasic park), then it seems like I am looking through a fish eye lens. I took it back and got another one today and this one does it too. I have only heard one other person mention this problem so I thought it was rare until I got another on that does it. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.I love this tv too much to take it back again.

if it ain't broke...tweak it till it breaks
post #836 of 2894 Old 12-11-2004, 01:20 PM

Hmm weird, does Sanyo make a 32' without the tuner? Because I went to Walmart, saw the Sanyo 32' HDTV, picture looked great, but the book on the top of the shelf showed a "Sanyo 32' HD Ready Monitor featuring PIP"
post #837 of 2894 Old 12-11-2004, 03:00 PM

There's a 32" flatscreen that WalMart sells, which is obviously dramatically lower in price. They tried to sell me that one almost everytime I asked for the HD version.
post #838 of 2894 Old 12-11-2004, 10:37 PM

My Toshiba 5 disc changer took a dump on me, so I'm looking at getting another around the holidays. My question - Is it worth it for the extra $$ on an HDMI dvd player? I have been reading over on the dvd thread and all this talk about upconverting just leads me to more questions. The reason I am posting this here is, do our Sanyos upconvert over component? Is this good, bad, or ugly for a dvd input?

Brent
post #839 of 2894 Old 12-11-2004, 10:40 PM

First off, this is quite the informative thread...thanks.

Quick question about watching normal cable tv on the HD TV's. Since it sounds like this tv will up-convert the 480i signal to 480p or something to that effect, I would guess that the picture quality for SD would be better than non-HD tv. Is this correct, or isn't it much of a difference? I probably wouldn't be getting much for HD input in the near future, thus I am some what leaning on waiting on purchasing a HD tv (plus won't have to get a different entertainment center...).

Does anyone know more as far as when everything will be forced to switch over to only HD broadcasts? I see that the FCC says by 2006, but does that mean Jan 1 2006 or Dec 31 2006?

If I end up taking the plung and going HD, it will be with the Sanyo 32"...sounds like a great tv. Thanks for the feedback.
post #840 of 2894 Old 12-12-2004, 06:42 AM

First off I'd recommend that if you are NOT planning on getting and HD content in the near future to wait on purchasing a new TV. Prices are continuing to become more reasonable. With that in mind if you MUST purchase a new TV (i.e. Your current set it broke), then I'd buy a digital TV. Your SD picture should look better on a digital TV because of things like line doublers. It takes while for some people to get used to the SD picture on a digital tv because they think it looks soft, but in general most people prefer it.

The transition date to DTV is Jan 1, 2007 last time I hear. But that date will almost certainly get pushed back.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page