Official Sanyo HT32744/HT30744 thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 2894 Old 12-25-2004, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
dvi-d to dvi-d cable and a monster cable dvi to hdmi adapter. the cable i got from stsi.com 25footer for something like 50 bucks and then the 29 buck adapter. allot less then the 200 buck cable from monster haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 2894 Old 12-26-2004, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a question

When we talk about "overscan" on here, what exactlly are we referring to?

Thank. Sorry for the noob question
post #903 of 2894 Old 12-26-2004, 08:37 PM

LOL Last night I checked and this TV was back in stock, and now it is out of stock again
post #904 of 2894 Old 12-26-2004, 10:55 PM

well... been reading this thread for a few weeks; ever since i got the 30" sanyo.this forum has really helped me out but I finally took the (second) tv back. The first one i bought had a really bad barrel roll. i thought it was defective so i took it back and exchanged for the same model. That one had the barrel roll too. I called the sanyo help line and they said that was normal??? I don't understand how it is "normal" for a 700 dollar tv to have a distoted picture. I took it back again and got the phillips 30".best choice i made lately. the picture is much better. the standard ntsc picture is MUCH better and there is no barrel roll. thought about getting the panasonic? at wl-mart but after a while(i stood and stared at the screens for about an hour) I noticed that the panisonic actually stretched the picture on the sides. the only down side to this tv is that it won't accept 720p. i don't get any picture when i set my screen size to a 720p res.by the way i use the tv to watch movies from my pc most of the time.

if it ain't broke...tweak it till it breaks
post #905 of 2894 Old 12-27-2004, 05:41 AM

I'm thinking about trading mine in for the Panny. The panny you saw at Wal mart was probably in stretch mode. It will display the same way the Sanyo does. I've never had any luck at all with Philips products so I tend to avoid them. The Panny has a much more thorough onscreen geometry adjustment menu that includes tilt.

I've had my Sanyo for nearly 2 months. Anyone know how long I have to return it?
post #906 of 2894 Old 12-27-2004, 06:23 AM

coomarlin, you should have 90 days to return the set to Wal-mart.
post #907 of 2894 Old 12-27-2004, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just got the 32 inch and I love it. Xbox games look fantastic on it. For those of you who were wondering, I looked inside of the tv, and the picture tube is made by LG Philips.
post #908 of 2894 Old 12-27-2004, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Bedowyn
I have a question

When we talk about "overscan" on here, what exactlly are we referring to?

Thank. Sorry for the noob question

Overscan is the amount of picture that is broadcast, but not shown due to the TV cropping the picture somewhat. Every TV has some overscan. This is because if TVs didn't crop the picture some, inevitably you would see jagged edges or black along the edges of the picture because not every show is broadcast with the exact same settings. So TVs crop the picture some to ensure nice edges. The problem come up when a TV crops too much picture and you loose some important information (like stock tickers etc). A computer monitor does not usually have overscan due to the stable signal it is feed. Therefore, when you output a computer image to a normal TV with overscan, you will loose some items along the edge (like program buttons at the bottom of the page).

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

PBX in a Flash user since 2012

post #909 of 2894 Old 12-27-2004, 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by stoic_squirrel
the only down side to this tv is that it won't accept 720p. i don't get any picture when i set my screen size to a 720p res.

what happens if you're tuned to a 720p tv broadcast ? will it show?
post #910 of 2894 Old 12-27-2004, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

My parents just got this TV for Christmas and I have to say it's not bad for the money. I do have a few comments however, most have been covered, but I just wanted to speak my peace about this set:

Positive Things:
- Good colors out of the box (only took minor color changes with DVE).
- Nice black tones
- Built in HD tuner
- Inexpensive price
- Availability of the service manual via this thread. Fixing overscan and geometry issues was easier because I had the manual.

Negative Things:
- Coaxial inputs are limiting. You can only have one digital input. (My TV c32v37 has more flexibility in how it handles inputs. It only has one digital tuner but can receive a digital signal from either input and display it).
- Doesn't allow direct input of individual digital channels. (ie 13 but not 13-2)
- Doesn't allow individual digital channels to be saved - only does a full scan.
- Picture with Picture - very limiting - only allows one analog and one digital channel to be shown. No other options (like 2 analog channels as my Zenith allows). Only picture with picture (2 half frame images), no actual picture in picture allowed either.
- The case is a little cheap looking IMHO.

Again, overall this set is nice for the money. Personally I am much happier with my Zenith c32v37 than I am with the Sanyo and would spend the extra $200 to get the Zenith because it is much more flexible (tuners, PIP, digital inputs, channel selection, to name just a view)

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

post #911 of 2894 Old 12-27-2004, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

stoic_squirrel - I am surprised that this is the case. Most CRT TVs will not display 720p natively, but all that I have heard will display it by converting it to another resolution. I would recommend that you look into this a little more (ie experiment with it some by sending different 720 signals like ABC OTA, or X-Box etc). Change the settings on the TV some too. I honestly would be surprised if this TV didn't display 720p by design (it my convert it, but it should display it).

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

post #912 of 2894 Old 12-27-2004, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I just wanted to make a quick comment to all those people out there that are too afraid to change any of the service menu items because they think they will break the TV.

1st - copy down all of the setting that you plan on changing. To be honest with you, you can fix most generic problems on this TV by changing the items that are shaded on page 5 of the service manual. Numbers 102-10D are color related and numbers 116-120 screen related (geometry and overscan). So don't think that you will be sifting through hundreds of settings to get the TV right. In reality you might have to adjust 10-20 total settings. But even this can be broken down further. You might adjust 2-3 for overscan issues, maybe 4-8 for geometry problems and 5-10 for color settings). If you have a problem with just one resolution or input (1080i for example), then you can go further into the service menu and start adjusting the settings for that one thing.

2nd - Experiment by changing the value on a menu item. Don't be afraid to change the numbers, you can always go back to the way it was if you wrote down the starting number. You should see immediate results (ie you don't need to exit the menu to see a change). You might need to increase or decrease the numbers quite a bit to see the subtle changes and understand what exactly the setting is for.

For example, if you change the V position value (number 117), you will see the picture change on the vertical plane.

3rd - you really need a calibration DVD to make the subtle changes. There are lots of diagrams that you can show on the screen that will allow you to correct for overscan, geometry and color problems much easier that just guessing from a broadcast picture.

4th - if the result isn't what you expected, change the setting back to its original number. You cannot 'break the set" by changing these items. You can make the picture worse than it was, but you can always go back to "stock" if you wrote down the original numbers. I have found that the settings have definitive starting and ending values which tells me that the manufacture has not included any settings that might cause harm to the TV (at least not in the short term - and a bad setting will be very evident and unwatchable). For example - a setting might have numbers 0-200 and then it will roll over to 0 again.

So hopefully this will spur some of you to experiment and try to optimize the settings on your TV. My parents set had a really bad upper right hand corner (it bowed in about 1/2 an inch) but I was able to fix that and reduce the overscan without too much effort. I've set other TVs, but this was my first Sanyo (and my first with a real service manual). It was much easier because of the available service manual - but it still comes down to trial and error until you get the picture that you are satisfied with.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

post #913 of 2894 Old 12-27-2004, 09:00 AM

I agree that you shouldn't be afraid to mess with the service menu. As long as you are smart about it. But the problem with my set it the single biggest drawback to the set is the tilt issue and that issue can not be corrected via the service menu.
post #914 of 2894 Old 12-27-2004, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

Originally posted by sic0048
stoic_squirrel - I am surprised that this is the case. Most CRT TVs will not display 720p natively, but all that I have heard will display it by converting it to another resolution. I would recommend that you look into this a little more (ie experiment with it some by sending different 720 signals like ABC OTA, or X-Box etc). Change the settings on the TV some too. I honestly would be surprised if this TV didn't display 720p by design (it my convert it, but it should display it).

As a matter of fact, most CRT HD sets do not accept a 720p input. Only the more recent sets are capable of converting it to 1080i for display. For most people, this isn't a problem as their HD source will do the conversion (eg. a stb will convert abc, fox, or espn to 1080i for output to the tv). Other than this, the only other source of 720 that would need to be converted is xbox games that do not support 1080i. Even when used as a computer display, the computer can output 1080i (or 540p). The only CRT HD sets that walmart carries that can do this conversion are the Sanyo's. I believe that the newer Sonys and possibly Toshibas are able to this conversion as well.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #915 of 2894 Old 12-27-2004, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm really not trying to harp on my Zenith c32v37 in this thread, but it has no problem displaying a 720p signal. However, it converts it to 1080i. It does not display 720p natively.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

post #916 of 2894 Old 12-27-2004, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, the trend ususally is if it has a built in tuner, it can convert 720p to 1080i for display as it already has the circuitry in place as part of the tuner to do this conversion. Sets without a tuner need to have that circuitry added on, which many tv sets do not have. Many of the older sets did not have a tuner, and hence, could not do the conversion.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #917 of 2894 Old 12-27-2004, 05:44 PM

Okay people maybe you can help me out with this..

Today i did the adjustments to my sanyo 30" using the service manual I got from this thread ( Gray Strickland). I only the ones that were shaded as recommended by the manual, and i kept the codes of all the ones i changed. Okay so here comes the problem

After changing all of them i went back and i noticed that my pix shape options went from Previously ( Normal, Full, Zoom 1, Zoom 2 ) to ( Normal, Letterbox, Zoom ). The normal one look like a regular HD picture except with a bit of vertical strech, The letter box looks like it has too much horizontal stretch to it and it appers with black bars at the top and bottom. Is this normal? I really do not know which exact option made it appear this way as that i changed all the codes at once.

Also when i played a DVD the bottom black bars are still larger than the top one. Not by way too much but enough to notice.

So can anybody help me out here? does that sound normal to you all? what should i do? go back to my original settings?

Also when i did the vertical adjustments i made sure the pix was in full mode as recommended by the manual? Any input would be greatly appreciated... thanks..
post #918 of 2894 Old 12-27-2004, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

It sounds like you changed the value that tells the tv what aspect ratio it is. I seem to remember someone in the old thread had done this. I'm not sure what value you changed to do this, but you should be able to switch it back.

post #919 of 2894 Old 12-27-2004, 07:12 PM

Has anyone found a stand that matches up well with the 30 incher? I sit fairly close to my set (about 7 feet) and my old stand sits a little low for my taste (it's only 16 inches high). Anyone have a matching stand that sits any higher?
post #920 of 2894 Old 12-28-2004, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by oryan_dunn
Yeah, the trend ususally is if it has a built in tuner, it can convert 720p to 1080i for display as it already has the circuitry in place as part of the tuner to do this conversion. Sets without a tuner need to have that circuitry added on, which many tv sets do not have. Many of the older sets did not have a tuner, and hence, could not do the conversion.

That makes perfect sense. I had never had it explained like that before. Built in tuners would handle 720p (perhaps by converting it) while monitors probably don't. Monitor manufactures would expect the STB tuner or other input to handle any conversions.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

post #921 of 2894 Old 12-28-2004, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by LRend1215
Okay people maybe you can help me out with this..

Today i did the adjustments to my sanyo 30" using the service manual I got from this thread ( Gray Strickland). I only the ones that were shaded as recommended by the manual, and i kept the codes of all the ones i changed. Okay so here comes the problem

After changing all of them i went back and i noticed that my pix shape options went from Previously ( Normal, Full, Zoom 1, Zoom 2 ) to ( Normal, Letterbox, Zoom ). The normal one look like a regular HD picture except with a bit of vertical strech, The letter box looks like it has too much horizontal stretch to it and it appers with black bars at the top and bottom. Is this normal? I really do not know which exact option made it appear this way as that i changed all the codes at once.

Also when i played a DVD the bottom black bars are still larger than the top one. Not by way too much but enough to notice.

So can anybody help me out here? does that sound normal to you all? what should i do? go back to my original settings?

Also when i did the vertical adjustments i made sure the pix was in full mode as recommended by the manual? Any input would be greatly appreciated... thanks..

IT sounds like you simply went into the service menu and changed the values to what the service manual had. Is that correct? Unfortunately it is not that easy. Every TV is going to be slightly (or drastically for that matter) different and therefore every TV is going to have completely different settings. The service manual settings are really designed to be a starting place.

To change the settings you really need to use a calibration disk like AVIA or DVE. Reading your post I don't get the feeling that you did.

So, I would go back into the service menu and change the settings back to your original settings and then order a calibration disk to do the job properly. I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you have about it if you want to post or send me a PM.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

post #922 of 2894 Old 12-28-2004, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

As far as your problems, I'm not sure about the zoom issue. However, the horizontal and vertical changes are totally expected. Those are values that would be changed in the service menu. They were changed too much (or in the wrong direction) so instead of centering the picture, it made it further off center. You would have also changed the amount of overscan as well with the changes you made which could magnify the problem.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

post #923 of 2894 Old 12-28-2004, 05:57 AM

Your correct sic0048, All i did was change the shaded numbers as the service manual recommended. And i didnt use use a calibration dvd ( where can i get one relatively cheap from?)

Plus last nite, I went back and re entered the values that i previously had, but the setting and picture where no where near what it was when berfore i change it.. what gives? And i did make sure to copy the code EXACTLY as it showed it, before i changed them,

Rite now my main problem is to change the aspect ratio back to 16x9 from 4:3... anybody know what # in the service manual this could be done from?
thanks for all your input..

PS: this is pertaining to the 30" TV
post #924 of 2894 Old 12-28-2004, 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dubyagee
Has anyone found a stand that matches up well with the 30 incher? I sit fairly close to my set (about 7 feet) and my old stand sits a little low for my taste (it's only 16 inches high). Anyone have a matching stand that sits any higher?

i think read earlier in this thread about this matching up well:

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...ts=10104*10174
post #925 of 2894 Old 12-28-2004, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

LRend1215 - I briefly read the old thread and it looks like service menu item 088 controls aspect ratio. The person in the other thread had switched it to 12 somehow when it should be set to 10. Double check to make sure this item is set to 10. If that doesn't do it, also check item 086 has it also looks like it controls aspect ratios somehow. Let me know if this fixes it.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

post #926 of 2894 Old 12-28-2004, 08:51 AM

Service menu item 088 controls aspect ratio for the 30" ws model.
I think "12" is 16x9 and "10" for 4x3. But check first. Read the service manual, page 12 and 13.
post #927 of 2894 Old 12-28-2004, 09:08 AM

Like I said, I previously had set them back to what i originally had, but the picture of the pix shape was no longer the same, even though i put them back as i originally had them. But I will try what you fellows are menitoning.

Also can having the TV set to a 4:3 aspect ration on 16x9 widescreen, can it hurt the tv in any way?

Thanks for your input fellows i really appreciate it..
post #928 of 2894 Old 12-28-2004, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have the 32" TV, and like it for the most part (only thing is a certain waviness to the image in hi-def, in the middle of the screen... hard to describe, and only a little distracting)...

I have worked with this, and have it where I like it... I have made what menu adjustments I can, and have the picture is pretty good...

However, I now have some time, and think I can get my hand on a setup disk from a friend. So what I need is some sort of guidance on this "service menu"...

I gather from reading the forum that the 30" model service manual is available... but did anyone ever find one for the 32", or has anyone created a 32" guide to go with it. If so, can anyone direct me to these (I am going to look, but if assistance is available, I will gladly accept it).

IE - If I was a noob (I am) and wanted to get into and alter my service menu settings (I do) than are my best resources for doing so properly?

Thanks!.
post #929 of 2894 Old 12-28-2004, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by LRend1215
Like I said, I previously had set them back to what i originally had, but the picture of the pix shape was no longer the same, even though i put them back as i originally had them. But I will try what you fellows are menitoning.

Also can having the TV set to a 4:3 aspect ration on 16x9 widescreen, can it hurt the tv in any way?

Thanks for your input fellows i really appreciate it..

I doubt it will hurt it in any way. It probably just tells the tv how to manipulate the picture so it is shown correctly.

post #930 of 2894 Old 12-28-2004, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

In my experience with the 32", the service menus where the exact same. My parents starting value did not match the default, but it was usually close and could have resulted from the factory doing a cursory calibration before shipping the TV.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page