Official Sanyo HT32744/HT30744 thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 2894 Old 01-11-2005, 05:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just picked up one of these TVs for myself and so far, I'm pretty impressed with it. The picture on HD source material is just astounding. First thing I did was watch one of the NFL games on Fox, even though I really didn't care about the teams, just because it was so awesome looking!

Then I switched over to a component source. Unfortunately it appears that I have the snow problem with my set. I figured I'd relay my experience with it, just to see if anyone else's is similar. As I played with the TV, I realized that it was getting the multi-colored snow on all the analog inputs, rather than just the component. With the brightness and contrast toned down, it's not quite as apparent most of the time, but on certain passages with black or really dark screens, it's pretty distracting.

I'm 100% positive that this is not related to the cabling of the particular connections, because I'm using several sources with several different types of inputs, and all are showing the same snow. The big question: are there sets out there that have no snow? If there are, as soon as I can borrow another vehicle large enough to transport it and someone to help me move it, I think I'm going to go swap it for another.

When the snow isn't appearing, the picture quality of this set is just breathtaking with my DVDs, but it's rather distracting when it's there. Now I just hope that eventually I can find one without the snow problem...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 2894 Old 01-11-2005, 06:40 AM

I must be one of the lucky ones.I picked up a 32"for my office and have no problems or issues with this set.
I have Directv hooked up to vid1,a pioneer 563a DVD player hooked to component 3 and the computer hooked to component2 for games.All inputs are fine and analog Directv looks pretty awesome for analog.
So if I were you I would lug it back and try another.There's a rose among all those thorns
post #993 of 2894 Old 01-11-2005, 06:45 AM

Howdy all -

Been reading this thread and the original one for a few days. I initially came here for info when I saw the 30" at a Wal-Mart (didn't know this set existed until Saturday, but I am not a major AVphile). I had been wanting to get into the HD game forever and this was the first affordable chance I had, and the first set that fit's the limits of apartment living. So after reading 20 some odd pages of posts I went for the 32" Since I am doing it all - SD/HD Cable - DVD (unfortunatly I don't have progressive scan yet) - And gaming (2 PS2's (one is Japanese)/Xbox/Gamecube).

I have alot of questions, but first some observations if no one minds.

Excellent picture on my non-prog DVD player, HD signal through rabbit ears (thanks to this thread I found out you can do that) = Drool inducing. My wife's uncle has a pretty pricey setup in his home, a 55 rear projection etc etc etc, I don't know the details but it's nice. When we first setup this TV on Sunday, I grabbed my old antenna out of the closet to just see what would happen. With no tweaks made we picked up all the locals after the scan and found some football - We both said "Holy S***".

If your main goal for this TV is sports or just general HD TV, you can't go wrong. My new cable box will be installed Friday to make it a bit easier.
BTW - Like many others I did get all the High Def HBO/Cine/Sho, OnDemand etc channels by going direct from the wall, but I am paranoid about getting caught, and I want to be able to use the onscreen guide so I am springing to do it legit.

I am not having any snow issues and I have noticed no unadjustable defects. I purchased the Pelican System selector pro and run my all my game systems through that with comp cables, except the Cube, I am ebaying like crazy to find that cable. The DVD sits in the other comp channel on the TV. Now the game systems look a little wonky though. The PS2's really look bad, very jaggy. In other posts though it was stated that this is the fault of the PS2 and it's low rez hijinks. The Xbox looks alright, but in Halo 2 I am getting some major jaggies when the action gets fast, The cube on Svideo suffers none of this, but looks kinda washed out. Now I assume this is just the result of the display being of a higher definition than I am used too, but...

Can anyone suggest ways of fixing this? Other than 50 dollar monster cables? If cables are really going to make a difference it will have to wait along with the digital cables I might finally get for my reciever. Would anything in the service menu help with this? Overscan maybe? And what is overscan? All I know is that when I turn it off the image gets slightly "smoother" (ie blurred, but still prettier than my old TV).. I really don't think this is the TV's fault, as I said I am not having any Snow issues like other posters, and the way the picture looks when watching the HD channels proves (at least to me) that there isn't anything wrong with the TV in that regard.

I should wrap this up, I blather too much some rapid questions (I have read through about 50% of the thread, if I am repeating, slap me) -

Should I really spring for digital audio connections? My reciever does support it (It's one of the first Denon HTB's, the 7000 or the 1000 whichever one didn't have prog. scan, 7k I think).

Should I really spring for a prog. scan DVD player?

Where can I get these DVD's that help you tune your TV? How much do they generally run? Is the service menu as scary as it sounds? I have some slight bowing of the screen when a wide image is displayed and want to try to fix that, and the image seems to be cut off on the left hand side. From reading I gather these are all simple fixes, but I am still nervous about the service menu.

Okay enough blather - If anyone is pondering this set, I say go for it. I know some people got a few bad sets, but mine seems fine. I truly believe that the bulk of my issues stem from ignorance on my part and other components. I am really pleased with the image quality and am going to keep it based on the DVD and HDTV qualities alone. Yes I have some gripes from the gaming end, but I hope they can be resolved, or at least tolerated for now.

Sorry for the novel - Thanks to everyone who has helped so far just by posting and helping me decide, and thanks to those of you who will help me with my newb questions.
post #994 of 2894 Old 01-11-2005, 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Shufflefield
Howdy all -

Been reading this thread and the original one for a few days. I initially came here for info when I saw the 30" at a Wal-Mart (didn't know this set existed until Saturday, but I am not a major AVphile). I had been wanting to get into the HD game forever and this was the first affordable chance I had, and the first set that fit's the limits of apartment living. So after reading 20 some odd pages of posts I went for the 32" Since I am doing it all - SD/HD Cable - DVD (unfortunatly I don't have progressive scan yet) - And gaming (2 PS2's (one is Japanese)/Xbox/Gamecube).

I have alot of questions, but first some observations if no one minds.

Excellent picture on my non-prog DVD player, HD signal through rabbit ears (thanks to this thread I found out you can do that) = Drool inducing. My wife's uncle has a pretty pricey setup in his home, a 55 rear projection etc etc etc, I don't know the details but it's nice. When we first setup this TV on Sunday, I grabbed my old antenna out of the closet to just see what would happen. With no tweaks made we picked up all the locals after the scan and found some football - We both said "Holy S***".

If your main goal for this TV is sports or just general HD TV, you can't go wrong. My new cable box will be installed Friday to make it a bit easier.
BTW - Like many others I did get all the High Def HBO/Cine/Sho, OnDemand etc channels by going direct from the wall, but I am paranoid about getting caught, and I want to be able to use the onscreen guide so I am springing to do it legit.

I am not having any snow issues and I have noticed no unadjustable defects. I purchased the Pelican System selector pro and run my all my game systems through that with comp cables, except the Cube, I am ebaying like crazy to find that cable. The DVD sits in the other comp channel on the TV. Now the game systems look a little wonky though. The PS2's really look bad, very jaggy. In other posts though it was stated that this is the fault of the PS2 and it's low rez hijinks. The Xbox looks alright, but in Halo 2 I am getting some major jaggies when the action gets fast, The cube on Svideo suffers none of this, but looks kinda washed out. Now I assume this is just the result of the display being of a higher definition than I am used too, but...

Can anyone suggest ways of fixing this? Other than 50 dollar monster cables? If cables are really going to make a difference it will have to wait along with the digital cables I might finally get for my reciever. Would anything in the service menu help with this? Overscan maybe? And what is overscan? All I know is that when I turn it off the image gets slightly "smoother" (ie blurred, but still prettier than my old TV).. I really don't think this is the TV's fault, as I said I am not having any Snow issues like other posters, and the way the picture looks when watching the HD channels proves (at least to me) that there isn't anything wrong with the TV in that regard.

I should wrap this up, I blather too much some rapid questions (I have read through about 50% of the thread, if I am repeating, slap me) -

Should I really spring for digital audio connections? My reciever does support it (It's one of the first Denon HTB's, the 7000 or the 1000 whichever one didn't have prog. scan, 7k I think).

Should I really spring for a prog. scan DVD player?

Where can I get these DVD's that help you tune your TV? How much do they generally run? Is the service menu as scary as it sounds? I have some slight bowing of the screen when a wide image is displayed and want to try to fix that, and the image seems to be cut off on the left hand side. From reading I gather these are all simple fixes, but I am still nervous about the service menu.

Okay enough blather - If anyone is pondering this set, I say go for it. I know some people got a few bad sets, but mine seems fine. I truly believe that the bulk of my issues stem from ignorance on my part and other components. I am really pleased with the image quality and am going to keep it based on the DVD and HDTV qualities alone. Yes I have some gripes from the gaming end, but I hope they can be resolved, or at least tolerated for now.

Sorry for the novel - Thanks to everyone who has helped so far just by posting and helping me decide, and thanks to those of you who will help me with my newb questions.

You've asked a boatload of question in a single post so I'm not sure how much I can answer. But I'l give it a try.

You can get the calibration DVD's off of ebay, Amazon, Circuitcity, etc. They are Digital Video Essentials and Avia. DVE is noramlly less than $20 and Avia is about $35. Both are good.

I'd definately go digital on the audio connections. You can buy Optical cables for practically nothing on ebay. Or worst case buy a monster cable for $20 at radio shack.

You mentioned turning "Overscan off". I think you are referring to "Scan Velocity Modulation". You should turn it off. Overscan can be adjusted in the service menu although it seems to introduce a lot of barrel roll on this set. You either live with the overscan or else you live with the barrel roll. I'd rather live with the overscan. Be careful when getting into the service menu. It's not too comlicated as long as you know what to adjust. Make sure you keep records of the default settings so you can go back if neccesarry.

I can't help you with the gaming consoles as I don't game, but other people might have suggestions.
post #995 of 2894 Old 01-11-2005, 10:47 AM

Thank you for the reply. I will swing by circuit city tonight and check for the disk. I will also check ebay for optical cables.

I found a few things that might help someone else, though I have not tried it yet -

Xbox issues - To enable multiscan you need a newer Xbox or one that has had the latest dashboard updates via Live. At the dashboard hold down both triggers and both thumbsticks at the same time to enable the 480p output.

Back at the beginning of the thread several posters asked for a Service Manual that was specific to the 32 inch model but I never saw anyone post one or reply back about having one. Well, I just emailed Sanyo and asked for one and they send me a 5 meg PDF that is specifically for the 32 inch. I don't know about the legality of posting such things, but if you email them and ask for the service manual for the 32 inch, they should send it to you. I have briefly (very briefly) browsed over the scanned PDF posted in the original thread and this new one and there are differences.
post #996 of 2894 Old 01-11-2005, 04:41 PM

The optical out on the back of the tv will only provide sound from the digitial tunner built in the TV. If you are using a cable box, that is no need to use the optical out on the tv.
post #997 of 2894 Old 01-11-2005, 10:20 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will give it a few weeks and see if the the problem goes away or Walmart gets another one in stock.I really like the TV and want to give it another chance.
post #998 of 2894 Old 01-11-2005, 11:54 PM

Quote:

Xbox issues - To enable multiscan you need a newer Xbox or one that has had the latest dashboard updates via Live. At the dashboard hold down both triggers and both thumbsticks at the same time to enable the 480p output.

my xbox is 13 months old, I do have Xbox Live so i have the latest dashboard. What about the vertical lines while using the xbox? Do you have that problem?
post #999 of 2894 Old 01-12-2005, 06:00 AM

Quote:

my xbox is 13 months old, I do have Xbox Live so i have the latest dashboard. What about the vertical lines while using the xbox? Do you have that problem?

JSI - I do not have this problem. After enabling progressive scan (Which is what I meant, not multiscan) it greatly reduced the bad jaggies I was getting. I can still see them, but i have to pay more attention to the scenery than what I am doing to see it, so as far as I am concerned it's fixed. It also greatly improved the colors, in 480i is was sort of washed out.

What are the vertical lines like? Thin white streaks or thicker lines? I am just curious.
post #1000 of 2894 Old 01-12-2005, 10:30 AM

i don't have this set yet, I've read in the countless other pages at the beginning of the thread bout some people having vertical lines. My orginal question was, how am I able to tell the differnce between bad setting, bad cable or just a bad TV. I'm goin to pick up a TV this friday along w/ the MicroSoft HD Cables. I'm not sure if the Monster HD cables are worth the extra $40.

Have you been able to play games that are 720p? How do they look when converted?
post #1001 of 2894 Old 01-12-2005, 10:45 AM

I own no 720p games. I went through all of them last night. All of them are either not capable or 480p, even Halo2 which was a suprise.

As for it being upconverted, I really can't tell if that is true or not. There is a difference in going from 480i to 480p, and if you hit info on the remote you can see that the TV changes what it says it is displaying. I will say that the 480p looks very good though. Several OTA channels broadcast 720p and that looks pretty amazing, I don't know how that will translate though.

When you get your Component cable, don't do what I did. I got the regular one with the composite sound on it. There are cables that have the digital out on them. The xbox doesn't have a seperate out, it is all done from the AV pack, so if you plan to use a digital audio signal, be sure you get the right AV pack. I am gonna schlep along with the composites for a bit until i can get all my stuff that supports the digital up and running.
post #1002 of 2894 Old 01-12-2005, 12:55 PM

I am building my theatre up so I have no suround sound, dolby stuff yet.
I'll be using the TV and I have a set of Logitech 5.1 530x PC speakers that I have plauged into the headphone jack of my current TV. Ghetto but works ok....alot better then the TV speakers when it comes to playing games or DVDs.

After the TV was purchased I was planning on get a DVD reciever set (next month), nothing specail other then 5.1 dolby Pro II is gonna be a must. Everything will have to revolve around the Xbox. So will the componet cables that support digital sound also work ok on the TV set and allow me to upgrade later or am I assed out having to buy the basic set first then the better set later? Are both version the same price?

BTW: Halo 2 is 480p widescreen
I think most if not all the newer games out are at least 480p, I know a few are 720p like tonyhawk underground 2.
post #1003 of 2894 Old 01-12-2005, 01:39 PM

Quote:

So will the componet cables that support digital sound also work ok on the TV set and allow me to upgrade later or am I assed out having to buy the basic set first then the better set later?

your, ahem, assed out. Unless you can find a cable with both kinds of sound outputs, but I haven't seen one. The Hi Def pack was 20 bucks and the one with the digital sound was about 45 at best buy. I hear there is a high def pack made by MS that has a breakout box that allows you to connect anything (Digital or composite sound, Component or S-Vid). But I have never seen one in real life.

I think we got a bit off topic... We might need to take it to the game forum. =)
post #1004 of 2894 Old 01-12-2005, 02:02 PM

I just looked on Xbox's web page found that the new HDTV AV cable box allows both composites and digital from it with a MSRP of $19.99.

I tried to add the links bout I gus I don't have enough post since I'm a newb.
post #1005 of 2894 Old 01-12-2005, 02:04 PM

here is the links

http://www.xbox.com/en-us/hardware/h...tionavpack.htm

http://www.xbox.com/assets/en-us/Har...on_AV_Pack.pdf

I can't wait to get this TV home and hooked up. I have a nice 3day weekend too
post #1006 of 2894 Old 01-12-2005, 03:48 PM

Looking for the Schmatic Service Manual for the 32"
I did find the poor quality .pdf of the 30"
but need the HT32744 service manual.
Looking for any help! Many Thanks!
post #1007 of 2894 Old 01-13-2005, 07:58 PM

I seen this HDTV at wal-mart and was impressed, of course I guess they have a HDTV feed to it. I'm not a big TV junkie so I don't have any hd feeds but this is what i have and my question.

I have a 3 year old RCA DVD player with 5.1 Dolby and stereo system with the same. a 10 year old zenith 27" that is sometimes a little red on some things i watch. charter digital cable system , and a old standby VCR. and all is connected buy RCA cables

the question is. is it worth sinking $650 in to a new TV and another $200 for a entertainment center to watch my digital cable, old DVD player on?
once i get it all hooked up , will it look like my old zenith, since i don't have HDTV?
the old zenith works fine but I really would like a bigger TV with as crisp as the 30" i seen (i would go for the 32" though).
post #1008 of 2894 Old 01-13-2005, 11:44 PM

Sanyo emailed me the .pdf for the 32"
But they did not include the "Digital Module" schematic.
They just left it as a box labeled ATSC decoder, interlace/progress scan scaler with PIP and PAP.
If they OEM'ed this subassembly then this may be the reason.
I don't want open the case just yet to read the chip names.
I wonder if they are using the ATI chip sets?

Anybody got any facts the black box?
post #1009 of 2894 Old 01-13-2005, 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Pupjoint
I seen this HDTV at wal-mart and was impressed, of course I guess they have a HDTV feed to it. I'm not a big TV junkie so I don't have any hd feeds but this is what i have and my question.

I have a 3 year old RCA DVD player with 5.1 Dolby and stereo system with the same. a 10 year old zenith 27" that is sometimes a little red on some things i watch. charter digital cable system , and a old standby VCR. and all is connected buy RCA cables

the question is. is it worth sinking $650 in to a new TV and another $200 for a entertainment center to watch my digital cable, old DVD player on?
once i get it all hooked up , will it look like my old zenith, since i don't have HDTV?
the old zenith works fine but I really would like a bigger TV with as crisp as the 30" i seen (i would go for the 32" though).

how old is the DVD player? If it has component outs then yes, with now upgrades other than the TV and a component cable it will look very good. My DVD has component out but no progressive scan and I can still see a difference. Also, if you can, be sure your using and digital in/out's available, or if your not and have them, start using them. Look for Toslink cables on Ebay, av-america is a real good seller.

If you buy this TV, you can kind of get away with out upgrading your cable service. depending on your area (search this thread for links) you can just plug up bunny ears or an amplified antenne to get HDTV. I have an RCA amped one, but am springing for the cable box anyway, just for convienence.

If you buy the TV though, and don't upgrade cables, service, antennae or anything else, it will probably be the same. But for the price of a cheap antenae alone, you will be living high on the hog. If you got a game system, even without upgrading your cables (which you should) you will be happy with the larger image.

I have posted to this thread alot since getting this TV, and I don't know much about A/V, but I have learned a ton from this thread. And for the price I am very happy to have moved into HDTV finally. I had a few gripes at first, but reading this thread solved 99% percent of them through knowledge and I am very happy with my new TV. Go for the 32, if you can tolerate bars at the top and the bottom, because the 32 widescreen image is only a few square inches less than the 30 inch model, and the full screen images are, well, full screen. The 30 inch WS is only about a 24-25 inch TV when watching regular stuff. Check it at the store to see.
post #1010 of 2894 Old 01-13-2005, 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DaveBuck
Sanyo emailed me the .pdf for the 32"
But they did not include the "Digital Module" schematic.
They just left it as a box labeled ATSC decoder, interlace/progress scan scaler with PIP and PAP.
If they OEM'ed this subassembly then this may be the reason.
I don't want open the case just yet to read the chip names.
I wonder if they are using the ATI chip sets?

Anybody got any facts the black box?

I am not sure what that is... I had a bunch of diagrams at the end of my PDF, but I would assume it is the same. If you want to compare I can email you what I got. just give me a pm with your addy.
post #1011 of 2894 Old 01-14-2005, 05:42 AM

Shufflefield,

thanks for your reply. I don't think I'll get this right yet.

looking on my cable box it only has s video and RCA plugs.
charter only has 4 hd channels in my area.
I live in area with one hd over the air broadcast (I'm in WV)
dvd player not progressive scan.

I'm afraid that it would be a waste of money for me at this time. we at least the wife will be happy i didn't just go out and buy it like i all ways do. LOL
post #1012 of 2894 Old 01-14-2005, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

If you buy this TV, you can kind of get away with out upgrading your cable service. depending on your area (search this thread for links) you can just plug up bunny ears or an amplified antenne to get HDTV. I have an RCA amped one, but am springing for the cable box anyway, just for convienence.

Pupjoint,
Many times a cable compay will pass along the network feeds for your area in clearQAM which this tv can decode. If they pass along the one that you have, you could get it for free from your cable company without haveing to put up an antenna.

Also, you should see an improvment over your old zenith even if nothing else changes. As CRT's get older, they can loose focus, color saturation, etc. My Dad's Sony 32" is 9 years old and I can tell it is nowhere near as bright and crisp as it once was. Even if your DVD player has only an S-Video connection, you could see a big difference in picuture quality. On widescreen material, either tv will present you with a much bigger picture than you currently have. When I first got my Philips widescreen, the only dvd player i had was a ps2 and i only had analog cable. After i had the tv, i was able to do smaller upgrades as time went on with a progressive scan dvd player, and eventually an hd tuner(which is built-in to the sanyo). I've been very happy i bought it, even though now it is 300 bucks cheaper than when i got it a year and a half ago (dang its been that long?).

Anyways, thought I would offer up my opinion on the matter.
Ryan

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #1013 of 2894 Old 01-14-2005, 03:06 PM

thanks ryan,

I'm still throwing around the ideal. I'm really close to going and buying the darn thing and test it out. if i dont like it I'll get my money back. my zenith is doing what you describe. colors are fadeing, colors bleed at times and I have my briteness jacked up. i was watching a movie on my computer screen and was wishing it was more like that. would the unit be more like the computer screen? im just useing a all in wonder 9600 on the computer
post #1014 of 2894 Old 01-14-2005, 06:23 PM

Hey everyone.

I posted my initial impression with the 32" beast somewhere earlier in this thread. I'm still enjoying this TV greatly but have been bothered by one very irritating problem that I haven't seen anyone else explicitly mention.

The reason I'm posting again, is because I've noticed many of you are Xbox players. Although my main console is a PS2, I was wondering if you guys/gals could help me out with a problem I'm having regarding gaming and this TV.

While playing the game "Amplitude" (a timing/rhythm based music game) I could not, for the life of me, hit any of the notes on the beat. I at first thought there was something wrong with either my PS2 controller or my PS2 itself....something causing it to lag, or delay either my controller inputs or the image on the screen.

I then decided to play some Madden. Again, when it came time to do something where timing is very important (kicking a field goal) I could not kick the ball straight or near full force unless I deliberately compensated and hit the button early. I'm not positive, but I would estimate this delay to be somewhere around 100-200 milliseconds....clearly not a HUGE amount, but enough to throw off intricate timings.

I eliminated my PS2 and controllers for being at fault by using them on a couple separate TV's and they worked A-OK.

Now, my question to those with other consoles, or anyone that may have an idea, is: has anyone else encountered this issue? and. any suggestions to help minimize or eliminate the issue? (maybe a setting in the service menu)

Currently the PS2 is hooked up through component cables and I have tried both of the component inputs on the Sanyo.

One thing I have not attempted yet (I've been at home for winter break) is trying the composite cables I have for the PS2 to see if it for some reason was a component connection issue.

On a side note: for any of you with a PS2 that are anxiously awaiting the arrival of Gran Turismo 4 to the states, it supports racing in Hi-Def 1080i! I can't wait to get that goin on this Sanyo.

Thanks in advance to any information anyone may have.
post #1015 of 2894 Old 01-15-2005, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Are you using the tvs built in speakers, or are you running sound through a receiver?
post #1016 of 2894 Old 01-15-2005, 04:01 PM

I have a question. I have dolby digital speakers but they only have orange digital connectors. Any way to connect these speakers digitally?
post #1017 of 2894 Old 01-15-2005, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Now, my question to those with other consoles, or anyone that may have an idea, is: has anyone else encountered this issue? and. any suggestions to help minimize or eliminate the issue? (maybe a setting in the service menu)

I have the 32 inch and I have not had any lag or delay with my xbox games.
post #1018 of 2894 Old 01-15-2005, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by acer
I have the 32 inch and I have not had any lag or delay with my xbox games.

Thanks for the response. Have you played a game such as Madden or NCAA? Also, what kind of connection do you have your XBox hooked up to the TV with?

A new problem.....

I got back to my apartment today and turned on the tv..... the analog cable input just shows a black screen for every channel. I switched over to the digital input....it worked fine. I then switched to one of the composite inputs; it also worked fine. One of my roommates then informed me that "yeah, sometimes the cable channels don't work and then when I switch back over to them later, they work.....but then sometimes go out again".

I made sure that the cable and the connection were OK to the analog input. This is a problem that has just started ocurring in the past few weeks (since I've been home for break). I figured that maybe the TV just needed to warm up a bit, seeing that it's been hovering in the single digits outside this week and our apartment can get pretty chilly. So I left the TV on for about 20 minutes and still had no luck receiving the channels. The cable works fine on all our other TVs in the apartment. I'm thinking this will require a service visit from Sanyo... unless someone else has experienced a similar problem and know what's wrong?
post #1019 of 2894 Old 01-15-2005, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the response. Have you played a game such as Madden or NCAA? Also, what kind of connection do you have your XBox hooked up to the TV with?

I just tried the madden 04 demo (don't have the full game) and I tried to kick-off. I didn't experience any lag. I connect my xbox with the microsoft component hi-def pack.

Quote:
I got back to my apartment today and turned on the tv..... the analog cable input just shows a black screen for every channel. I switched over to the digital input....it worked fine. I then switched to one of the composite inputs; it also worked fine. One of my roommates then informed me that "yeah, sometimes the cable channels don't work and then when I switch back over to them later, they work.....but then sometimes go out again".

Strange problem. You could try the channel search in the menu again.
Sounds like you just might be having problems with your tv. If possible, I would take it back to walmart.
post #1020 of 2894 Old 01-15-2005, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by acer
I just tried the madden 04 demo (don't have the full game) and I tried to kick-off. I didn't experience any lag. I connect my xbox with the microsoft component hi-def pack.

Strange problem. You could try the channel search in the menu again.
Sounds like you just might be having problems with your tv. If possible, I would take it back to walmart.

Thanks a lot for your help.

I (temporarily) solved my newfound issue with the analog input. I gave the TV a mild-mannered slap...and BAM...it works again. It's pretty apparent that the case and the board and inputs are not secured and tightened properly on my tv because any pressure (even very light) applied to the back of the TV causes a lot of horrible noise (visual and audio). As many people have suggested earlier in this thread as a potential reason for the "snow" problem many of us have been having; the TV may lack insufficient shielding....this problem I've experienced appears to be another instance of the poor shielding or just the use of a cheap case, I'll examine it later to see if any of the screws are loose.

Unfortunately my 90 day Wal-Mart return period ended just a week or two ago, but I will get in touch with Sanyo to see if they can send a service person out to me, or if I can bring it to a near-by servicing center. I really do love this TV aside from the couple problems I've had.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page