Official Sanyo HT32744/HT30744 thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 2894 Old 01-27-2005, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
bchase6933, that's true. Do you think that the box is not converting the analog audio to digital and therefor not being passed along on the HDMI? I guess that would make sense but would be a serious limitation where people that wanted to use HDMI would have to switch between component3 and hdmi after going past channel 99 in my case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2894 Old 01-28-2005, 06:24 AM

skipper3,

I might be mistaken but I doubt the cable boxes will take analog audio and encode them digitally, to transmit on the HDMI. I think the audio on the HDMI link is only a digital audio stream.

On a slightly different note: Have you tried to hook your cable direct to the digital tuner on the Sanyo? I was wondering how many digital channels Cablevision sends in ClearQAM.

AMgold
post #1083 of 2894 Old 01-30-2005, 08:49 PM

Ok...I've had enough...lol.....

I'm a store manager at a Wal-Mart Super Center. I've read this forum for about a month since I purchased my HT32744. There a few facts I wanted to post for you all.

First...There is NO "Extended Warranty" on Sanyo TV's...PERIOD......Yet we do have a WONDERFUL relationship with Sanyo America and you can, under almost any cirumstance, get an exchange for a Sanyo TV that is ANY reasonable age. I once had a customer that returned a 31" Sanyo early in my career started off with her story " My Husband was cleaning his gun and........." This is no joke. I at first refused the exchange...But.............The customer called Sanyo and got an RA number to exchange it. To make this story short....Sanyo has a wonderful relationship with Wal-Mart. Even though there is no "Written" warranty for longer than 90 Days, Wal-Mart and Sanyo will almost always take care of you. I only wanted to post this fact because sooner or later someone from here is going to go to Wal-Mart to exchange a TV and someone is going to say " Sorry, the warranty system says 90 days w/ a reciept."

Second... There is not a firm corporate policy on "price protection." Meaning your milage my vary between stores when a price change happens and you want the diffence. Most Store Managers will go along with a "30 Day Policy"

Third... Ryan, gave an explanation on why some Wal-mart stores have the Item at the New price, and some have them at the old price. Your explanation was fairly accurate in an innocent way. But..........to be honest the main reason that some stores had one price, and others had another is simple....The department manager did a poor job of showing the value and changing the Label on the shelf.

Fourth... I just returned from our Anual Year End Meeting in Kansas City, MO and unfortunately, I did not see any new Sanyo HDTV models that will be in the stores before July (We have a 3rd and 4th quarter meeting in Dallas in LATE July.)

Fifth..., and most important.....
Our Service desks ALL have a sign that says "Satisfaction Guaranteed" Remember that when you have a problem with ANY product. We aim to please and if you have a problem with anyone please remind them of this policy. Most stores will take care of anyone as long as they will get credit from the Manufacturer on the item they are returning. Like I said above, Sanyo has a wonderful relationship with Wal-Mart and will give us credit on almost anything.

Sixth...If you have a problem, please ask to speak to a member of management, we have the autonomy to take care of you and make sure you have a positive shopping experience.
post #1084 of 2894 Old 01-30-2005, 10:27 PM

I assume by "extended warrenty" that you are talking the 1yr exchange policy on Sanyo's that others have mentioned in here?

That you are not talking about the 2 or 3yr Service plan that you can purchase at walmart.com for tv's purchased online or at the retail stores.

Correct?
post #1085 of 2894 Old 01-30-2005, 10:27 PM

It is my understanding (please correct me if I am wrong) according to the "Returns Policy"posted at Walmart.com, that you can return an item within 90 days if you are not satisfied with it for any reason, for either exchange or credit.

The warranty page for the Sanyo 32"
at Walmart .com has this to say:

excerpt; see walmart.com/catalog/prod_info.gsp?product_id=2601424&cat=136937&type=19&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A172479%3A3996%3A136937#6[/url]
Sorry I am unable to post the entire link until I have 5 posts.

"FOR ONE YEAR from the date of purchase, Sanyo Manufacturing Corporation will replace any defective TV.To insure proper warranty exchange, keep the original sales receipt for evidence of purchase. Return the defective TV to the retailer along with the receipt and the included accessories, such as the remote control. The defective TV will be exchanged for the same model, or a replacement model of equal value, if necessary. Replacement model will be contingent on availability and at the sole discretion of Sanyo Manufacturing Corporation."

Unless I read this wrong, if the TV fails (becomes defective) within one year, it is to be returned to the retailer "Walmart" for exchange.
post #1086 of 2894 Old 01-30-2005, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Here's the full link
Sanyo Warranty

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #1087 of 2894 Old 01-30-2005, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

By reading that, it sounds like Sanyo's warranty is the same as that of other tvs, but they go through walmart and just give you a new set instead of fixing your old one.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #1088 of 2894 Old 01-31-2005, 08:42 AM

And here's the link to the 3 year service contract sold at walmart.com (not available at any store):
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2349401

It is NOT a Sanyo Extended Warranty, but a 3 year service contract for ANY TV sold by WalMart in the $200-$750 range.

Description

Service Plans are sold only online. You may purchase this plan to cover electronics items you buy both online and in stores. Please note: Plans are not returnable in stores. Should you wish to return your plan, call 1-800-966-6546
Service Plan
3 Year Service Plans provide enhanced and extended product protection beyond the manufacturer's parts & labor warranty. Coverage begins immediately following the manufacturer's labor and parts warranty

These plans DON'T involve the WalMart brick and mortar stores. After the first year where you DO take the TV back to the store, these service plans:

In-Home/On-Site Service Available- Qualified products, mirroring the manufacturer's warranty, receive convenient in-home or on-site service.

Like an extended warranty for lots of other products, they aren't exactly the same as the original warranty but I certainly wouldn't have said

Quote:

There is NO "Extended Warranty" on Sanyo TV's...PERIOD

post #1089 of 2894 Old 01-31-2005, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

mahicks, You seem to pass the buck by saying that it's the department manager's fault for not changing the price on an item. As far as I'm concerned it's your fault for letting your department managers be so slip shot & it's your job to be on top of them. After being in retail though I know how things can get screwed up every now & then but I know at both the local Wal-Mart's in my area things are "Always" Screwed UP time after time & I hate to say it but you do get what you pay for in help & sometimes it seems that all Wal-Mart cares about is having a warm body there with no knowledge at all but it's your job to be on top of them. You are correct in saying that if you have a problem you should speak to a manager but then on the other hand why should we even have to be asking to talk to a manager when the employees should be trained that if they have a problem with a customer to go get a manager to straighten it out & why should any customer have to remind any employee of the "Store Policy" the employee should have already been tained to know what the store policy is rather than getting into any confrontation with a customer over it. As I used to tell my managers if you would get your ass out of the office every once in a while maybe you would know what the hell is going on down on the floor.
post #1090 of 2894 Old 01-31-2005, 03:45 PM

Bill --

Punctuaction goes a long way to making your posts a bit more readable.

I think what mahicks was trying to put across was the fact that Walmart as a company is willing to bend over backwards to address the concerns of customers, regardless of what certain policies in place are.

And let's face it, while it's nice in a perfect world to always have section managers managing from the X, to swoop in and save any potential customer disputes, it's often not a realistic proposition. Other business demands often displace management from what should be their sole focus, and it comes down to the section staff to carry the torch.

Some carry it better than others.

Just know that if you're not happy with the person you're speaking to, ask to speak to someone else. Trust me, the good business managers.. the ones that know that the customer comes before anything, are there. They're just so good that the demands on them put them out of range of customers.

Thus the ultimate irony of corporate customer service businesses.

Tym
post #1091 of 2894 Old 01-31-2005, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Not getting on your case but "The ones that know that the customer comes before anything" should be "ALL" of them if they were trained right in the first place & people are supervising them. The sad thing is that Wal-Mart has a Great policy with customers & it's a shame that most people don't know that but that's from poor supervision at store level.

Myself I have never had any problems dealing with any stores because I will ask for a department manager or with discount chains I always ask for the store manager & if he/she can't solve my problem it's right on the phone to HQ.

But your average customer is not going to do that their just going to walk out mad & that's why it's soooo important to have EVERYBODY trained on how to handle customers especially one that's hopping mad.

And now back to electronics...........Please
post #1092 of 2894 Old 01-31-2005, 09:43 PM

Ok....Started a wild fire.....

New2HDTVnc: What you and others are stating is SANYO's NOT Wal-Marts POLICY....ACTUALLY to be more ACCURATE, the policy that most on here are quoting is for Wal-Mart.COM.

brijenjas: You are correct, but this is SANYO's warranty.

Quote:

oryan_dunn: "By reading that, it sounds like Sanyo's warranty is the same as that of other tvs, but they go through walmart and just give you a new set instead of fixing your old one."

YOUR CORRECT on THIS ONE.

bhenley: I'll Say it again, "there is no extended warranty on Sanyo TV's!" THe extended warranty that you can PURCHASE that you talk about is available for any TV in that price range. When I made the statement, I was implying that there is not an automatic "built in" longer warranty. I made absolutely no impression that you could not PURCHASE a longer warranty. Hell, most people can get that just by using the right CREDIT CARD when they purchase something. Also, FYI, you also see that if you read the fine print, when you buy the extended warranty....In most states, after 30 DAYS, (NOT THE USUAL 90) You most go through the Warranty Service and not the store.

Bill1313: You took what I had to say WAAAYYY off the mark. I'm not going to get in a bickering match with you. That was not my intentions with my post. I was only trying to clear up a few misconceptions. As far as the department manager thing goes. Your correct for alot of stores, but not mine or my districts. But to take it one step further. ALOT of the Department Managers make the same as alot of good Assistant Managers, so yes, I will pass the buck to them. My saying is"If you want to wear the the title of Manager (Store MANAGER, department MANAGER, assistant MANAGER) then you better be willing to accept the resposibility of being a MANAGER.
ALSO, I get the feeling you have been a department manager and think they shouldn't have this total responsibility??? My answer for this is they SHOULD.. Most of them are responsible for 1 Million dollar PLUS departments.
An AVERAGE electronics department manager is resposible for a department that has about a million in inventory, 5-8 associates, and does over 5 million dollars in sales a year. I know of alot of "Mom and Pop" stores that would love to have any of that. ALL that being said, YES, I EXPECT my department managers to do something as elementary as changing a shelf tag after a price change, no questions asked, PERIOD.

vttym: Thank You for the rescue.
Quote:

I think what mahicks was trying to put across was the fact that Walmart as a company is willing to bend over backwards to address the concerns of customers, regardless of what certain policies in place are.

THIS WAS THE MAIN OBJECTIVE OF MY POST

Bill1313

Quote:

Myself I have never had any problems dealing with any stores because I will ask for a department manager or with discount chains I always ask for the store manager & if he/she can't solve my problem it's right on the phone to HQ.

Why would you do that? The Department manager is alot more important and probably more skilled in their respective area than the store manager (Just like in ANY OTHER BUSINESS). Also as stated above, they get paid well to take care of you, give them at least a CHANCE to fail you.

Quote:

But your average customer is not going to do that their just going to walk out mad & that's why it's soooo important to have EVERYBODY trained on how to handle customers especially one that's hopping mad.

Your ABSOLUTELY CORRECT ON THIS ONE.

Quote:

And now back to electronics...........Please

Ditto!
post #1093 of 2894 Old 02-01-2005, 03:22 AM
Yus

So does anyone have any idea if these are coming back in stock, or are they being quietly discontinued? My friend had to buy a floor model from a Walmart that had opened the previous day, so it was basically still new. It looks great, so now I just have to have my own.
post #1094 of 2894 Old 02-01-2005, 07:33 AM

Yes they are "comming back instock"

They were on display at the Year End Meeting.

Funny thing though...the 32" wasn't?
post #1095 of 2894 Old 02-01-2005, 08:48 AM
Yus

Heh, after realizing that 16:9 content on the 32" is still about 29.4" I may just get the 32" afterall.

EDIT: Sorry if this has been answered, but has anyone ever gotten any confirmation that the 32" has 16:9 Enhance/vertical squeeze?
post #1096 of 2894 Old 02-01-2005, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

mahicks, Just wanted to add that I went from a part-time kid sweeping the floor up to a distric manager then leaving & opening my own small stores selling them & going into semi-retirement all before the age of 40. When I was a store manager in the 70's my salary was around $200,000 a year & as a stock clerk in the 60's in today's money it would have been around $800 a week & I'm guessing that Wal-Mart doesn't even pay department managers that kind of money today & if they do the ones I've seen then are overpayed. Not your salary, but what does a store manager make running a small volume small square foot unit for Wal-Mart?
post #1097 of 2894 Old 02-01-2005, 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mahicks
Ok....Started a wild fire.....

New2HDTVnc: What you and others are stating is SANYO's NOT Wal-Marts POLICY....ACTUALLY to be more ACCURATE, the policy that most on here are quoting is for Wal-Mart.COM.

brijenjas: You are correct, but this is SANYO's warranty.

YOUR CORRECT on THIS ONE.

bhenley: I'll Say it again, "there is no extended warranty on Sanyo TV's!" THe extended warranty that you can PURCHASE that you talk about is available for any TV in that price range. When I made the statement, I was implying that there is not an automatic "built in" longer warranty. I made absolutely no impression that you could not PURCHASE a longer warranty. Hell, most people can get that just by using the right CREDIT CARD when they purchase something. Also, FYI, you also see that if you read the fine print, when you buy the extended warranty....In most states, after 30 DAYS, (NOT THE USUAL 90) You most go through the Warranty Service and not the store.

At the top of the page, you'll find a Search this thread field. If you enter Extended warranty in that field, EVERY post prior to yours discussed the purchase of an extended warranty through WalMart.com. The original thread mentioned in the first post of this thread also used the WalMart.com purchase when talking about extended warranty. That's what causes confusion with your statements. You can't claim that "I made absolutely no impression" - you can only claim your intent. Impressions are exclusively determined by the person getting the impression from what is written. It would be like saying "I didn't give anybody the impression that I didn't know the difference between your and you're." Quite clearly, you DID leave the impression you might be saying an extended warranty wasn't available at all. Reread New2HDTVnc questions to you. You don't think you left him with the impression you might be taking about the purchased extended warranty? Reread your answer to him and ask yourself it it answered his questions.

I'm really not clear on what you are saying. When I read the fine print (some time ago), I was left with the impression that the purchased extended warranty didn't have any effect at all until the mfg warranty expired (but had to be purchased while said warranty was in effect). I took that to mean that the warranty didn't need to be purchased until 11 months after the TV. How does your "30, not normal 90" emphasis effect people? I don't see how purchasing something would suddenly change the written and verbal 90 day return for cash back I got from the store initially. Why did you emphasize the "In most states, "? The extended warranty page info says "in home" long before reading any fine print. If I were to decide to purchase the extended warranty in 6 months (I can, can't I? It doesn't have to be purchased w/in the brick and mortar 90 days does it?), does the 30 or 90 day issue have any effect at all?

When you said "extended warranty", were you talking about a return to the store 90 days after purchase and before the 1 year mfg warranty expires?
post #1098 of 2894 Old 02-01-2005, 05:37 PM

I'm thinking of getting the 30" widescreen HT30744 tomorrow. The only problem is that the walmart near here that has it in stock sells it for $50 more than walmart.com lists it and the guy I talked to on the phone says the store might not match it.

If I could get Time/Warner cable out here before 2/8/05 to install my HD cable service then I'd just go to Costco and get the phillips 30" ws that they have for $50 less than the Sanyo sells for at walmart.com.

The only reason I'm still looking at the Sanyo is because of the built in tuner so I can watch the Superbowl in Hi Def.
post #1099 of 2894 Old 02-01-2005, 06:56 PM

Is this a Walmart Trend or a Sanyo trend? Take the Walmart fist fight offline via email!

-Ryan
post #1100 of 2894 Old 02-01-2005, 07:26 PM

Thank You Amigo,

I think, I'll take your advice.
post #1101 of 2894 Old 02-01-2005, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

mahicks, check your pm.

post #1102 of 2894 Old 02-02-2005, 07:26 PM

Bringing this discussion back to the TV...I bought the 32 inch at Wal-Mart over the weekend. It took a lot of hunting...I checked every WM in the Memphis area two weeks ago, and no one had them. I went to a Supercenter in Mississippi that had only been open for 2 days this past Saturday...they had one. Now I'm noticing they are coming into stock again.

Anyway, my initial impressions of this TV are that it's an excellent set. Using plain old analog cable the picture in 4:3 mode looks great. HD channels coming in over an antenna look amazing. Since the 32 inch in 16:9 mode gives you essentially the same HDTV screen size as the 30 inch WS, I opted for the 32...for the simple reason that 4:3 channels are bigger. I'm hoping my upcoming digital cable install gives me an even better picture. Who knows?

I can't believe all the plug-ins on the back of this thing. I can't imagine ever filling ever input. DVD, XBOX, Cable Box, VCR, surround sound reciever...this thing can handle it all. I've never been in a situation where the TV can handle more inputs than the "entertainment center" that it's sitting in. It's a good problem to have.

I know I'm gushing, but I'm really happy with this set. I shudder to think I almost spent $300 more on an equivilent set at Best Buy. When it comes to getting the most bang for your buck (especially considering the built-in tuner) I don't think HDTV gets much better than this set.
post #1103 of 2894 Old 02-03-2005, 04:12 PM

JSP....do you currently have any cable service? If so, you might want to plug your cable cord into the digital antenna input. Depending on your cable provider, you may be able to receive DIGITAL cable channels that are "in the clear" i.e. non scrambled digital cable, these could include your locals in HD, music channels, etc. It's worth a try and only takes about 10 minutes for the TV to search for them. If it doesn't work, it won't hurt anything.
post #1104 of 2894 Old 02-03-2005, 05:49 PM

I tried this...I got some of my system's HD channels "in the clear" but most of the rest of the channels are scrambled.

Time Warner Cable in Memphis is pretty awful, though. I'll be switching to satellite as soon as the Super Bowl has passed.
post #1105 of 2894 Old 02-03-2005, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by mahicks
JSP....do you currently have any cable service? If so, you might want to plug your cable cord into the digital antenna input. Depending on your cable provider, you may be able to receive DIGITAL cable channels that are "in the clear" i.e. non scrambled digital cable, these could include your locals in HD, music channels, etc. It's worth a try and only takes about 10 minutes for the TV to search for them. If it doesn't work, it won't hurt anything.

I did this and got about 50 channels, including all the networks, on TW here in Charlotte. They only downside was determining exactly which channel was which. The ids for each channel don't come through.
post #1106 of 2894 Old 02-03-2005, 08:24 PM

Does anyone with the 32" model and a *NEW* PS2 slimline system get progressive scan in DVD play back? I have the PS2 hooked up via component 2 on the TV with component cables, I enter the *DVD* set up menu with a DVD in the PS2 playing, but TV type is set to 4:3 and Progressive is set off. I can't switch them on because the options are grayed out. It does not make a difference if I have 4:3 or 16:9 set up in the PS2 system menu. I have read this whole thread and the one in the gaming, I'm thinking that this maybe a problem with the TV?
post #1107 of 2894 Old 02-03-2005, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

No problem with the tv.

You need to put in a dvd, any will do, and begin playing the movie. Then durning the movie, stop playing, don't eject the disk, and then enter the setup menu. You should now see that the options are now selectable.

post #1108 of 2894 Old 02-03-2005, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oryan_dunn
No problem with the tv.

You need to put in a dvd, any will do, and begin playing the movie. Then durning the movie, stop playing, don't eject the disk, and then enter the setup menu. You should now see that the options are now selectable.

I have done that several time, seems like a simple thing...but it stays grayed out. Do I need the remote? I'm doing this from the controller.
post #1109 of 2894 Old 02-03-2005, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think so. I'd give sony a call 1-800-345-SONY i think. This is definlty a ps2 problem though. I've only got the original scph30000 unit, so that one may be different.

post #1110 of 2894 Old 02-04-2005, 09:50 AM

I took your advise and called Sony. When playing a DVD you need to press select, then select stop and click it *TWO* times. Now you can get to the menu and change the two modes that were grayed out before. The trick is to click twice not once like I was doing...I knew that, because I'm a mind reader and I'm suppose to know it since it's not in the manual...sheesh. Thanks for your help.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page