post #91 of 2894 Old 08-29-2004, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by RebelWax
I just purchased the 30" Sanyo and i noticed that when in "FULL" sceen mode that there is a slight "compressed" look to the left and right edges of the screen. You can only really notice it when a camera pans from left to right. I was wondering if there's anything in the service menu to adjust this or is this just normal? Here's a small example of what i mean.

4:3 mode
| | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | |

16:9 mode
||| | | | | | | | | |||
||| | | | | | | | | |||
||| | | | | | | | | |||

If there is something in the menu to adjust this can someone point me to what it is? I looked at the menu and it's pretty cryptic. Don't want to touch much in there.

Thanks

I've heard this referred to as barrel-roll and it is quite common, you could possibly reduce this in the service menu by increasing overscan but as you probably know you should exercise extreme caution when tinkering in the service menu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2894 Old 08-29-2004, 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 4K display
I've heard this referred to as barrel-roll and it is quite common, you could possibly reduce this in the service menu by increasing overscan but as you probably know you should exercise extreme caution when tinkering in the service menu.

Thanks for the reply. So that would just require me to increase the H Size i'm guessing? Crappy thing is....you lose some of the picture on the sides :-/
post #93 of 2894 Old 08-29-2004, 08:05 PM

Found another issue with my 30". Verticle transparent bands down the screen when my xbox is hooked up through component. Not good I'll test this system out a bit more before i make my final decision if i want to keep it or not.
post #94 of 2894 Old 08-29-2004, 08:25 PM

Liked: 11
RebelWax it sounds to me like you have way too many issues with this set to keep it. That's the beauty of it though. Take 'er back no questions asked.

I had a weird experience with mine today. I turned it one and there was no picture. Nothing, none of the channel info. or volume levels. At first I though the S-Video had come off the D* Tivo but I switched to D-antenna and there wasn't anything there either. I shut it off and turned it back on and everything was back to normal. It only happened once...... I hope it doesn't happen again or mine's going back too.
post #95 of 2894 Old 08-29-2004, 08:48 PM

Liked: 12
I got blue perfect on my monitor, but there seems to be a red and green push. Anyone know which values to mess with in the service menu to fix this?
post #96 of 2894 Old 08-30-2004, 12:53 PM

took mine back today-picture got real crooked and had wavy lines on the side bars.

also pass on the panasonic 30 wide screen at wally world, it has a very bad picture

home of the 2003 bb champs
post #97 of 2894 Old 08-30-2004, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I wrote a rather lengthy reply to this earlier today...but it's nowhere to be found...so here it goes again...lets see how much I can remember

I have a few thoughts for you. First off, if you got a good set (not defective) and are feeding it clean signals then I can't imagine how you could consider the picture "blurry". As for settings, try these to get you started: Avia calibration. DVD is a 480i source through composite/s-video or 480p source with a progressive player and component cables...unless you have an upconverting DVD player or HTPC. Also, laser disc is an analog source so don't expect too much out of it on your HD television. You said that you are using composite connections...that would be the 4th choice in terms of picture quality after DVI/HDMI, component, and S-video...again, don't expect too much from that type of connection. One suggestion for checking if you have a defective set would be to hook an antenna up to the digital input and scan for OTA DTV/HD channels...they should be crystal clear. You can hit the "info" button on the remote which will let you know if the broadcast is 480, 720, or 1080. Also, if you subscribe to digital cable you should be able to tuner many of the channels (maye even some HD) with the integrated tuner. Just hook the cable to the digital input and scan for channels.

You should use at least an S-video connection to do this set (or any HD set) justice though...that's the first thing you need to do.

Quote:

Originally posted by works4me
Folks,

I have been waiting to make up my mind about a new tv so in the interim I bought the 32" as I had no tv now for about a year

Boy is it blurry! I would think that it should be at least as comarable to the inexpensive sony's
It does improve as the resolution increases it appears I am unable to get any 720 Progressive in put not matter what DVD's I use or cable signal.
I have used both a laserdisc on composite 3 and DVD on comcposite 2.
I has improved but I do not have my DVHS test tape yet to do 1080i.

This does not sound like I got a good model .
I always turn down the contrast and Brightness to set the black level properly but I cannot seem to get any where near the clarity of my Sony's
If any body has any thoughts or tests I should perform please feel to email or PM me
Is there a diagnostic mode I can initiate in service mode?

Thanks in advance

Oh what would be the result of calling sanyo do they actually send a service man out or should I swap it with walmarts .

They are rather wonderful at that level

Sincerely,
Kevin

Additionally
What would cause a vast difference in the smpte resolution pattern,

The vertical lines show more tha 450 lines int the pattern but the horizontal patterns barely make 200 and wobbly at that

post #98 of 2894 Old 08-31-2004, 03:00 AM

The set's upconversion leaves something to be desired. I'm seeing slight horizontal movement in all 480p/i sources.
post #99 of 2894 Old 08-31-2004, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What sources and via what connection type? Even the OTA tuner? I don't have any probelms.

Quote:

Originally posted by Ace_of_Sevens
The set's upconversion leaves something to be desired. I'm seeing slight horizontal movement in all 480p/i sources.

post #100 of 2894 Old 08-31-2004, 12:56 PM

I take that back. After close examination, only 480P has this problem. Tis on both component 2 and 3. None of the OTA stations in my area broadcast 480p, so can't check that.
post #101 of 2894 Old 08-31-2004, 02:21 PM

This sounds like a pretty good pick.

For those who really appreciate the television and have been using it for a while .. what are the drawbacks that you find? I'm not extremely particular.
post #102 of 2894 Old 08-31-2004, 03:04 PM

Liked: 11
This TV doesn't support 480P, so it will not look as well as 480i and 1080i. I wasn't aware that there was a difference between component 2 and 3 with cable connection. I thought it doesn't matter which one you use. Am I wrong?
post #103 of 2894 Old 08-31-2004, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Both component inputs are wide-band therefore they do support 480i, 480p, and 1080i connections. This tv does support 480p.
post #104 of 2894 Old 08-31-2004, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ZenGonzo
This sounds like a pretty good pick.

For those who really appreciate the television and have been using it for a while .. what are the drawbacks that you find? I'm not extremely particular.

Only a few:
1. Volume doesn't have a bar or numbers to show level
2. Screen adjustments don't have numbers for reference
3. No separate picture settings for different inputs/tuners
4. Weak speakers

Those are the 4 that bug me. But none are deal breakers IMHO.

For more info, check the old thread at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&pagenumber=56 for more info.

As far as PQ goes, I dropped by CC last night to check out the new Sony 960 everyone's been talking about. I've been really interested in this set as well since it has a built in tuner. I was able to view Monday Night Football on the it in 720p OTA and Everybody Loves Raymond in 1080i. To my shock, even after tweaking the Sony I found the HD PQ to be about equal and often notably worse than my Sanyo! Why? The Super High res. tube displays every little compression artifact in the OTA signal. Plus, SD on the Sony was very grainy and digital compared to the Sanyo which has excellent SD PQ. It seems the high res tube in the Sony just magnifies signal flaws even further. Given, the 960 offers many cool features, but considering it's 3 times the price of my Sanyo, I'm sold on my set.

Cory
post #105 of 2894 Old 08-31-2004, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Half the reason I'm getting the set is for the XBOX games, but people who hooked it up through component said they see green vertical bands on the TV. I'm supposed to get it this Friday but I'm beginning to have doubts. I already have the Monster component cable ready too.
post #106 of 2894 Old 08-31-2004, 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by housecor
Only a few:
1. Volume doesn't have a bar or numbers to show level
2. Screen adjustments don't have numbers for reference
3. No separate picture settings for different inputs/tuners
4. Weak speakers

Those are the 4 that bug me. But none are deal breakers IMHO.

Weak speakers understates the problem for me. If you had stayed home to watch MNF, you probably would have had trouble hearing Madden over the background crowd noise. There is some sibilance issues with S sounds, but the audio setup covers the foreground speaking with background noise. If you send the audio to an AV receiver, it is fine.

Lack of a EPG for the digital channels is a big one for me. If you are going to use OTA digital channels, it is pretty hard to see what is (will be) on. This will become more and more important for OTA - but most of my viewing will still be satellite that has its own EPG.

Picture beside Picture requires one side to be a digital OTA station. Would be nice if you could display any two inputs. Minor, at least for me.

I REALLY don't like that you can't enter a channel number on the remote to go to an OTA station when you are in AV1, ... - you must cycle through all available inputs to get to OTA. It is odd how this set distinguishes between analog and digital.

Some minor video issues with certain content and display modes, but none significant on my unit.

I've had it for almost two months but am considering taking it back as the 90 day period nears. Looking at a Samsung TXP3275/3271 instead of the 32744. It starts $250 more than the Sanyo but BestBuy has a $100 card or wait for a 10% off deal and I'd be spending about $170 more for the Samsung's audio and EPG. Dunno that I will, but thinking hard on it. It has its own downsides - at least the Service Manual is available on the Sanyo (and lots of helpful posters)!
post #107 of 2894 Old 08-31-2004, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

Both component inputs are wide-band therefore they do support 480i, 480p, and 1080i connections. This tv does support 480p.

As well at 720p. Pretty much anything a consumer device will output over component, this tv will accept.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #108 of 2894 Old 08-31-2004, 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bhenley
Looking at a Samsung TXP3275/3271 instead of the 32744.

My god, man! That's the set I fell in love with. Something about the picture just seemed to blow all of the others away. The smoothness .. the letters all seemed so clear.

I'm not sure what it was, but I couldn't find any other details on the web or anything.

Have you read anything else about it? It seemed like a really great piece.
post #109 of 2894 Old 08-31-2004, 06:55 PM

HI

My two cents worth on the Sanyo 30". I've had the set for a couple of months, and I'm generally pleased with it. I use the manual picture adjustments; the presets are terrible. With proper contrast and brightness settings the picture is very good. It does have red push as has been stated previously. When I got it the picture had a green tint, but a trip to the service menu to adjust the drive and cutoff controls took care of that. My major complaint is compression on the edges of the widescreen picture. This is not there on 4:3 and zoom 1 settings. I increased the width of the picture slightly to hide most of this linearity problem, and now I'm probably the only one who notices it.

Since there is no such thing as perfection in the video world I feel that this set has the best bang for the buck. Today I looked at Philips, Samsung, and Sony 30" TVs, and the Sanyo held up well against the far more expensive Sonys and to me seemed superior to the Philips and Samsungs.

I'm not a gamer, so I have no opinion in that area.

All in all I doubt you could find a better TV for the price. It will not be perfect for every application, but it does a good job for the purpose for which it is intended.

Steve
post #110 of 2894 Old 08-31-2004, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

I totally agree Steve, this is an entry level HDTV and it performs above its class.

Slickman I too have the Monster HD pack for X-BOX and I haven't seen any lines or problems whatsoever. Gaming is a real treat on this tv.
post #111 of 2894 Old 08-31-2004, 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ZenGonzo
My god, man! That's the set I fell in love with. Something about the picture just seemed to blow all of the others away. The smoothness .. the letters all seemed so clear.

I'm not sure what it was, but I couldn't find any other details on the web or anything.

Have you read anything else about it? It seemed like a really great piece.

I haven't been able to do any side by side comparison of the Sanyo (home) and Samsung. Best Buy carries the TXP3271, but my local store doesn't have it on display. Assuming the TXP2775 is the same except for size, it didn't really have a "better" picture than my Sanyo. There is only Circuit City's internal feeds to compare with though.

There is a Samsung TXP thread, but you'll find that someone asked over 3 weeks ago about the Service Manual and has no response yet. The 26" and 27" have been available here for quite a while but I've SEEN nothing of the 30" or 32" TXPs. An ad in the Sunday paper for Best Buy was the first I'd seen about someone actually carrying a 32" locally so it may just be early in the release of the 32" units (here?). Sears has the 30" TX-P3071WH on their web site, but not in local stores.

There is a lot of info at SamsungUSA.com. TXP comparison at http://www.samsungusa.com/pdf/SamsungHDTV.pdf
Manual for TXPs at http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...00Eng_0421.pdf

FWIW, I like the Sanyo a lot better than a 50" DLP set I had briefly before it. I'll drive 25 miles and see a TXP 3275 and 3271 in the next few days. They'll be more than the Sanyo, but not much more.
post #112 of 2894 Old 09-01-2004, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I totally agree Steve, this is an entry level HDTV and it performs above its class.

Slickman I too have the Monster HD pack for X-BOX and I haven't seen any lines or problems whatsoever. Gaming is a real treat on this tv.

Do you have the 30", or the 32"
post #113 of 2894 Old 09-01-2004, 05:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

I picked this set up the other day as a bedroom set. I'm -really- happy with it. I have a Comcast digital box for my projector, but so far nothing for this set. I was ultra happy when I hooked up cable and found the QAM to work with a number of stations.

No numbers for the volume irks me, but I will survive. Accepting 720p is huge for Xbox owners, wait till you see a game in 720p.

Cheers,

Josh
post #114 of 2894 Old 09-01-2004, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It does seem strange that the volume has no markers of any kind, but really...it's your ears that tell you when to adjust it.

Remember that you're actually "seeing" it in 1080i since the set upconverts to the native resolution

Quote:

Originally posted by JoshMKiV
I picked this set up the other day as a bedroom set. I'm -really- happy with it. I have a Comcast digital box for my projector, but so far nothing for this set. I was ultra happy when I hooked up cable and found the QAM to work with a number of stations.

No numbers for the volume irks me, but I will survive. Accepting 720p is huge for Xbox owners, wait till you see a game in 720p.

Cheers,

Josh

post #115 of 2894 Old 09-01-2004, 12:04 PM

I know this set will accept all signal modes (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i), but is 1080i the only resolution it displays at? I can't find any info that says it can also display at 480p.

If this is true, then that means this TV can't display a progressive image, correct? So even if you are watching a movie that is being displayed at 480p, you are actually watching it at upconverted 1080i, right?

And also, I saw someone post a response they recieved from Sanyo that stated that the TV does support 3:2 pulldown. But if the TV can't display a progressive output, then how can this be true?
post #116 of 2894 Old 09-01-2004, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jminer1
I know this set will accept all signal modes (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i), but is 1080i the only resolution it displays at? I can't find any info that says it can also display at 480p.

If this is true, then that means this TV can't display a progressive image, correct? So even if you are watching a movie that is being displayed at 480p, you are actually watching it at upconverted 1080i, right?

And also, I saw someone post a response they recieved from Sanyo that stated that the TV does support 3:2 pulldown. But if the TV can't display a progressive output, then how can this be true?

I'm almost positive the set diplays 480p & 1080i natively & 720p is upconverted to 1080i. I just sent an email to Sanyo to get confirmation straight from the source. I'll let you know.

Cory
post #117 of 2894 Old 09-01-2004, 12:42 PM

Awesome!

Thanks for the quick reply and for taking the initiative to write an email to Sanyo.

I'll anxiously await the response.
post #118 of 2894 Old 09-01-2004, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by housecor
I'm almost positive the set diplays 480p & 1080i natively & 720p is upconverted to 1080i. I just sent an email to Sanyo to get confirmation straight from the source. I'll let you know.

I had a 50" DLP that HAD to upconvert 480i to 1080i. Coming from a satellite DVR, the time spent upconverting was painfully obvious. With audio going directly to an AV receiver (TOSlink or RCA), you would see the lip sync problem from the time taken to upconvert. If you turned the TV audio on as well as the AV receiver, you could hear the delay (it delayed audio in to match its upconversion time). The Sanyo plays the audio at the same time as the AV receiver (no echo) and no lip sync issues are present that you would get if it was upconverting to 1080i. It just line doubles 480i and displays 480p directly or they've devised some really fast upconvert method. Many (most?) direct view displays do 480p and 1080i natively and I'm with you on the "almost positive".
post #119 of 2894 Old 09-01-2004, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Lip sync issues are often production issues, not a set issues. I've experienced occasional lip sync issues on my Sanyo - but I've confirmed others in my area have experienced the same issue on the same signal with different sets. It sounds like on your DLP you had a legit set related sync issue, but on this Sanyo any lip sync I've experienced thus far is caused by the program not the set. Good news.

Cory
post #120 of 2894 Old 09-02-2004, 05:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

It looks like the 720p is upconverted.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page