Official Sanyo HT32744/HT30744 thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 2894 Old 09-02-2004, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sorry for the confusion. I was responding to the comment about seeing an Xbox game in 720p...and reminding everyone that it is really being upconverted to 1080i. Didn't mean to imply that everything gets upconverted. I'd assume 480p is displayed as is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 2894 Old 09-02-2004, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Woah, my reponse from Sanyo on the upconverstion question was short and surprising!

My Question:
I have a question regarding the HT32744 32" HDTV. What resolutions does it display natively? In other words, does this set display 480i, 480p, or 720p natively or are all of these resolutions upconverted to 1080i?

Sanyo's Response:
This set will display 480i, 480p, or 720p and 1080i. It does not convert to 1080i.

So, according to this, it sounds like this set displays all the major formats natively including 720p! Native 480i also explains why SD looks so great on this set. SD isn't upconverted - which in my opinion just produces poor digital looking PQ like you see on so many HD sets which upconvert SD. And I know of no other CRT's that display 720p natively...anyone? However, this doesn't explain why most feel 720p PQ falls slightly short of 1080i on this set. Maybe I'm still a bit skeptical on this response - it sounds too good to be true. This is a very surprising set of features for a budget set.

Cory
post #123 of 2894 Old 09-02-2004, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I've always thought it would be harder to design a set that will go through upconverting different resolutions and converting to digital and all that hopla, rather than just making a multisync tv, similar to every pc monitor. I mean, my 90 dollar monitor can sync to all kinds of different rates. It is surprising that other manufactures haven't made native displays. If this is in fact true, then it is very interesting indeed.

Ryan

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #124 of 2894 Old 09-02-2004, 03:55 PM

Liked: 11
It definitely does not display 720P natively, and I doubt that it displays 480P natively either. Look at the manual that came with the TV. It only states 480i and 1080i support.
post #125 of 2894 Old 09-02-2004, 04:38 PM

Hi. I'm new to the forum as a registered member, but a long-time reader and fan.

The enthusiasm here for the Sanyo set was persuasive, so I got the HT32744 at Wal-Mart last Saturday. There's an awful lot to like about this set, especially as I'm coming from a ten-year old 27" ProScan (the CT169 chassis, mind you ), but here are my complaints/pleas for help. I'm using AVIA and the old Video Essentials DVD as well as the THX Optimizer on Raiders of the Lost Ark. I've got the TV set to manual picture, warm color, SVM off, with brightness/contrast/tint/color/sharpness set up as per AVIA, all played through a Denon 1600 progressive-scan DVD player going through the component 3 input.

1. The gamma seems wrong. The multiple white boxes in first video test in the standard THX Optimizer (on most THX DVDs) are just one big white box. On my computer I can clearly see all the boxes. I could see them clearly on the ProScan. When I go into the Sanyo service menu and adjust gamma down a couple of clicks from the factory default, I can barely see one of the little boxes, but the net effect is still one big white box. The picture suffers from this problem in that any white highlights in the picture go straight to full-on white. This adds a kind of sparkle to the picture but is not good for serious viewing. This problem may be a dealbreaker for me if I can't figure out (or be advised) how to fix it.

2. There's a fair amount of red push and a little green push too. Faces get pretty rosy at times and it's sometimes quite distracting. I've been fiddling in the service menu without too much luck so far. May be a dealbreaker.

3. The video amplifier seems to introduce noise into the upper bandwidth: 6MHz and above on various test patterns has a lot of noise. Probably not a deal breaker.

4. Geometry's actually pretty good after I've tweaked it, but there's a little upward bow on the upper left corner that's noticeable on letterboxed material. This one's liveable.

If anyone has some wisdom to pass along, I'd be grateful! Otherwise, I'll probably torment the family with a trip to BB this weekend to scope out the low-end 32" HDTV sets there, just to make sure I've done the right thing by buying the Sanyo. Aside from the red push, I really like the color, and the picture has nice depth and detail on progressive DVD material. Haven't seen HD yet; the Dish upgrade is in the mail.
post #126 of 2894 Old 09-02-2004, 05:04 PM

Your set sounds pretty good to me. A lot of us have at least one corner with geometric issues. I have my 32" set to normal, not warm, for color. In the warm setting, I get the same Red Push and Green colors you are talking about. In Normal setting, my TV set displays amazingly accurate colors, and I am very content with it. Congratulations on your purchase.

A couple of things to add: I am assuming that you warmed up your TV before using the Video Discs to calibrate the TV, and you had set your TV to normal or Warm settings when calibrating the color and tint, right? In other words, you didn't set the TV on normal settings and then calibrated it, then turn the set to Warm settings?
post #127 of 2894 Old 09-02-2004, 06:53 PM

Thanks for the reply. I had indeed warmed the set up for at least 30 minutes before calibrating, and I calibrated using the Warm setting. In my experience, the lowest setting is always the one nearest the 6500 Kelvin standard. If this TV is different, though, that would certainly be a point of interest, and a little unusual, as I've not heard of a set that actually allows you to go below NTSC standard for color temp.

Is there any way to confirm which setting is the one for 6500 Kelvin?
post #128 of 2894 Old 09-02-2004, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Slickman
Do you have the 30", or the 32"

30"
post #129 of 2894 Old 09-02-2004, 10:02 PM

I agree that there is no way this TV displays 720p natively. So basically, I think the response from Sanyo that the TV natively displays 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i is a big steaming pile of BS.

Does anyone know for sure if this TV at least displays 480p natively? From what is listed in the manual, it seems that it does not. If that is the case, then the stuff about the tv having reverse 3:2 pull down must also be BS.

If anyone knows the real truth, please provide us all with the info!
post #130 of 2894 Old 09-02-2004, 10:09 PM

No one knows anything definitively. There's no reason why the manual will not list 480p if it does indeed support it. Our reasoning for the 3:2 pulldown was that it's very inexpensive to add this feature,and that a lot of the $30-$50 DVD players have it now, so a $800 TV should as well. Some of us, including me, have tried the test where when watching widescreen feed and raising the contrast and brightness levels, we see that they do not affect the top and bottom black bars; hence, lending credence to the believe that the TV does have 3:2 pull-down or some similar technology.
post #131 of 2894 Old 09-02-2004, 11:06 PM

Hi everyone. I've been reading this forum ever since I picked up my 30" last Saturday, and I've got to say, you guys really know your stuff. It's very reassuring to be able to get online and pick out all these problems one by one with some help. Big kudos to Strickland for making the service manual available, too... I was really happy to see that Sanyo/Strickland made that available.

I've already made some tweaks to the TV with the service menu (VS, VPS, HS, HPO), got a three-way splitter for my digital channels, analog channels, and cable modem (still need to buy a sig. amp, though... but it can wait), and had enough time to hook up and test out my Xbox and Gamecube with it. I'm using Time Warner basic (digital) cable and the digital tuner picks up all kinds of channels. It was really a treat to realize I don't have to splurge for an OTA antenna.

I haven't noticed any of the audio sync problems that were mentioned in the other thread (hopefully everyone was right when they just assumed they were production issues). I hook all of my audio up using the optical-out on the back of the TV and the analog-out for my Gamecube, VCR, etc. All of my digital channels have been coming in as clear as a bell.

The set displays 480i, 480p, and 1080i natively. It handles my Gamecube component signal beautifully, as with my Xbox. I do have a gripe that it upconverts my Xbox's 720p signals to 1080i, but it doesn't bother me that much. It still looks pretty darn good.

The TV definitely does not like the Xbox being used as a DVD player with those component cables though. I get those vertical green lines, which are easily fixed when I switch over to my S-Video cables. I'm using both of the official M$ cables, though... for both the component and the S-Video. I think I read throughout the old thread that if you mod your Xbox to handle progressive scan the vertical bars go away, but the quality isn't worth getting excited over. Once I get the money, I'd like to buy the Momitsu V880 and give that a try through the HDMI port. If anyone has tried using a Momitsu yet, please post and let everyone know how it looks. I'm dying to know if it's having the problems reported with the other upconverting players. (Note: I only get the vertical green lines when the Xbox is being used as a DVD player... every other piece of software looks absolutely perfect)

Only things I haven't been able to fix yet are a really thin, bright, vertical white line that I see on the bottom left-corner of the set (only I'd notice it, cause I'm picky like that.... not really that noticeable though), and the fact that I get the interference near the upper-middle sides of the screen that others have mentioned in the other thread with the Xbox's dashboard being set to 480p.

I also notice this problem that was posted by RebelWax that other's mentioned as poor geometry or "barrel-rolling". Someone else mentioned that using the AVIA or DVE calibration DVD's would fix the problem, but I haven't had the money to buy either of those yet. I only notice it on HD channels that are presented in 1080i (like Discovery HD, or HD PBS), but it's definitely there. Is there anyway to quick-fix this?

Anyway, thanks a lot for all the info guys. Sorry about the mammoth post, but I just wanted to make sure everyone got all the info out of me that they could. This really is a great TV for the price, and it's the first HD set I've ever owned. I'm really hoping that since the service manual is available the set can hit an almost near-level of perfection, but the gripes are very bareable. Hope you all have been enjoying the set as much as I have.

Quote:
Originally posted by RebelWax
I just purchased the 30" Sanyo and i noticed that when in "FULL" sceen mode that there is a slight "compressed" look to the left and right edges of the screen. You can only really notice it when a camera pans from left to right. I was wondering if there's anything in the service menu to adjust this or is this just normal? Here's a small example of what i mean.

4:3 mode
| | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | |

16:9 mode
||| | | | | | | | | |||
||| | | | | | | | | |||
||| | | | | | | | | |||

If there is something in the menu to adjust this can someone point me to what it is? I looked at the menu and it's pretty cryptic. Don't want to touch much in there.

Thanks

post #132 of 2894 Old 09-03-2004, 06:57 AM

The X-Box green bars issue is kind of bothering me because the xbox will be my DVD player atleast temporarily when I get this TV and I don't understand why it would cause green bars?? Has anyone used their XBox with the HD Pack and component connections without seeing the green bars while watching DVD's?

In my apartment at school we had a Panasonic 47" widescreen HDTV set that worked great with the xbox dvd palyer and component hook-ups.
post #133 of 2894 Old 09-03-2004, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by investor27
Some of us, including me, have tried the test where when watching widescreen feed and raising the contrast and brightness levels, we see that they do not affect the top and bottom black bars; hence, lending credence to the believe that the TV does have 3:2 pull-down or some similar technology.

This test has nothing to do with 3:2 pulldown. What you are checking with this test is if the set compresses the vertical raster when displaying anamorphic material. This is a good thing, as you get the full vertical resolution on anamorphic material instead of scanlines being wasted on drawing black bars.

Reverse 3:2 pulldown is used to reconstruct progressive frames from the interlaced content on the DVD.

Here are some brief overviews of this topic:
http://www.dvdfile.com/news/special_...2_pulldown.htm
http://www.projectorpeople.com/tutor...n-4.asp?page=1
post #134 of 2894 Old 09-03-2004, 10:11 AM

ARGH! This sucks. It seems there is no way to get an official answer for this because even Sanyo itself doesn't seem to know the capabilities of their own TVs!
post #135 of 2894 Old 09-03-2004, 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jawgee
I'm using an FX5200 with my 32" Sanyo HDTV. With the official NVIDIA 61.77 drivers, I was able to get 480p & 720p resolutions, but not a useable 1080i display. To compensate for the overscan in 720p, I used the Keystone app that came with the NVIDIA driver. However, I was getting slightly choppy video & mouse movements, so I tried out the beta Forceware 66.00 drivers. These work great to minimize the overscan, BUT it causes everything to be tall & squished horizontally. Watching recorded TV shows & XviD (widescreen) movies is fine, but I am having problems watching DVDs. The screen is slightly stretched vertically, so people look slightly taller & skinnier. It's strange that the XviD version of the movie looks fine. Does anyone know how to fix this in ZP or WinDVD 6?

Thanks,
jawgee

Thanks for your reply Jawgee, have I seen your handle over at dvbn.net?
btw, do you think the nvidia cards seem to output the pictures too dark? so you don't use powerstrip at all?
post #136 of 2894 Old 09-03-2004, 11:30 AM

Hey svxman,

Never been to dvbn.net, but I do visit other video sites like Meedio, Videohelp, & GotTVPVR (GAM). So maybe you've seen me at those sites.

I thought that some of my XviD TV shows & movies appeared a bit dark, but that can be taken care with the NVIDIA display drivers. I don't use Powerstrip at all. Someone actually told me that Powerstrip was mainly for folks who were using an analog (component) connection to their HDTV. I'm using DVI-HDMI so I'm all digital. I have to play around more with the Forceware 66.00 driver to see if I can easily resolve my issue. If not, I may have to cry.

Thanks,
jawgee
post #137 of 2894 Old 09-03-2004, 01:03 PM

Liked: 12
So can anyone else comment on how 480p looks? 480i and 1080i look great and 720p looks pretty good, but 480p looks dorderline ******. pixels just won't hold still. Is my set defective or is this just a problem with the model?
post #138 of 2894 Old 09-03-2004, 03:18 PM

Picture Quality:

Hi guys (gals)

I am not a gamer and don't have an Xbox, but I have a Zenith DVB-318 upconverting DVD player.

I have been ignoring the PQ discussion until I realize I can test the PQ over various input formats by feeding component signal via the Zenith. The Zenith can be set to 480p, 720p, and 1080i.

I have just tested the PQ playing Ice Age, Monster Inc., and Finding Nemo. Overall the 1080i format looks the best, but 720p and 480p are a tie (to my eyes).

I don't see any discoloration, vertical or horizonal lines and any problems. And I use the cheap component cable that came with the Zenith.

Edit: I have the 30" WS.
post #139 of 2894 Old 09-03-2004, 05:58 PM

Could someone with the 32" please give me a height measurement of the back of the unit and perhaps one at the estimated middle of the set too (depth-wise). My room is in the attic and I have a slanted ceiling and i'm trying to figure out if will fit where I want to put it so these measurements would be much appreciated. Thanks.
post #140 of 2894 Old 09-03-2004, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rd001
For all you bargain hunters, Toshiba's nice new 30HF84 is on a Big Sale now at Amazon.

Sweet Deal On 30HF84

Not only is your post in the wrong thread, I believe any price other than MSRP is not allowed. Comprenday!
post #141 of 2894 Old 09-03-2004, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by buzzly
Picture Quality:

Hi guys (gals)

I am not a gamer and don't have an Xbox, but I have a Zenith DVB-318 upconverting DVD player.

I have been ignoring the PQ discussion until I realize I can test the PQ over various input formats by feeding component signal via the Zenith. The Zenith can be set to 480p, 720p, and 1080i.

I have just tested the PQ playing Ice Age, Monster Inc., and Finding Nemo. Overall the 1080i format looks the best, but 720p and 480p are a tie (to my eyes).

I don't see any discoloration, vertical or horizonal lines and any problems. And I use the cheap component cable that came with the Zenith.

Edit: I have the 30" WS.

You can feed the 30" all the 720p you want, it gets upconverted to native 1080i. So you will never SEE 720p on this HDTV. PERIOD.
If you feed the 30" with 480i then the tv upconverts to 480p. PERIOD.
If you feed the 30" with 480p then it bypasses the deinterlacer and shows 480p. PERIOD.

SANYO HT30744 HDTV; 480p native, 1080i native. Unofficially.
post #142 of 2894 Old 09-03-2004, 07:20 PM

It isn't easy to describe the dimensions w/o a drawing. There is a lip on the front base that extends 1" from the face of the screen so the depth from the screen face to the deepest part of the back is really less than 22". That deepest part is roughly a 10"W x 9"H rectangle that is 10" above what the TV will sit on. That 10"x9" bump is 8" below the level of the top of the TV.
Looking at the side of the TV, char is 1":

_____ 5" wide ledge at the corner
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|1234567890123456789012|
|1234567890123456789012|
|1234567890123456789012|
|1234567890123456789012|
|1234567890123456789012| 10"Wx9"H
|1234567890123456789012|
|1234567890123456789012|
|1234567890123456789012|
|1234567890123456789012|
|1234567890123456789|
|1234567890123456789|
|1234567890123456789|
|1234567890123456789|
|1234567890123456789|
|1234567890123456789|
|1234567890123456789|
|1234567890123456789|
|1234567890123456789|
|1234567890123456789|

The 9" x 10" bump is centered in the 35" width but above center in height. Putting a tape measure from the back of the 5" ledge on the corner to the corner of the bump gives 22". 22" is also the width of the 10" high rectange that the bump sits above. Monospaced font may be needed, dunno.

Clear as mud?

Edited afterthought.
If you are trying to clear a slanted ceiling, there is a curve that is higher that the "picture" would indicate. If you cut a piece of cardboard into a triangle, it would fit the space above the cabinet if it were 12" along the top level, 8" along the back of the bump, and 14" along the hypotenuse. The picture makes it look like it starts to drop after 5" and you should use 10" before is starts dropping 8" to the bump.
post #143 of 2894 Old 09-04-2004, 01:20 AM

Liked: 12
I should add that if I hit the freeze button, 480p signals stop moving. Thsi is on hte 32" 4:3
post #144 of 2894 Old 09-04-2004, 06:51 AM

FWIW, I'll be taking the Sanyo back today after trying it out for nearly a week. It's a good deal for the price, but in the end the contrast, red push, and video noise problems were just too much for me to live with. YMMV, of course. I also began to think that the lovely color in evenly-lighted scenes was just a little too hyped. As I went back and forth between computer monitor and set, the differences were sometimes pretty jarring. I prefer as accurate a picture as possible, and by the end I didn't think the Sanyo was quite accurate enough. I'm too far away from the towers to get an OTA digital signal, so the tuner wasn't enough to sway me, either.

With a 10% Best Buy coupon (thanks to a forum post), a $50 gift card rebate, and 18 months same as cash financing with a BB credit card, I was able to get the Sony 32HS420 for about $60 more than the Sanyo. To my eye, the Sony PQ is much better than the Sanyo's on HD, DVD, and SD. Though the color was (for want of a better word) "lusher" on the Sanyo, the color on the Sony looks more accurate to me. The picture is significantly more detailed, the contrast is fine, and the picture looks rock-solid. Blacks are especially impressive.

All of that said, I really do appreciate all the recommendations and information on the Sanyo. You good people started me on the HD trail and the results have been more than worth it! Thanks.
post #145 of 2894 Old 09-04-2004, 07:09 AM

The 32HS420 doesn't have a built-in TV tuner. I also read somewhere that it always comes on in 16:9 regardless of the program and you have to zoom it to 4:3. This is weird if true.
post #146 of 2894 Old 09-04-2004, 08:53 AM

The Sony doesn't have a built-in HDTV tuner. It has a standard NTSC tuner.

It displays aspect ratio correctly on everthing I've seen so far. There's some setup nuance with my new Dish 811 receiver regarding aspect ratio that I haven't figured out yet, but that was an issue on the Sanyo too so I'm thinking it's not the Sony's fault.
post #147 of 2894 Old 09-04-2004, 09:21 AM

Speaking of satellite receivers and the Sanyo. I'm wondering if anyone has a code or if there's a code for the Sanyo remote and a Directv Tivo? The D*Tivo is a Phillips DSR704. I've tried the codes listed in the Sanyo manual for Phillips Satellite receivers but none have worked. I doubt there's a code for the combo receiver/Tivo but if anyone has one that works I'd appreciate knowing what it is.

Thanks.
post #148 of 2894 Old 09-04-2004, 11:33 PM

Here are some different impressions of the set. I got him home, hooked him up, noticed a weird issue with red and blue dots popping up on the screen. I thought nothing of it, as when I was watching during the day I couldn't see them from my viewing distance and the material i was watching. I threw in Underworld tonight and the colorful snow was very apparent. I'm not giving up on this set, as save for this issue (I believe I got a defective set) the tv is excellent in every respect except geometry. It has a nasty pincushion in the lower right hand corner. I was actually looking foward to tinkering around with the service menu though and fixing it. If the Toshiba goes back on it's crazy sale tomorrow or the next day I'll probably buy that. Otherwise I'll go through Sanyo's till I find one that isn't defective. For what it's worth the overall picture quality on this guy is very good. It's much much much better than the panasonic 32hxc14 with everything ranging from Dish network, to dvd movies, to my xbox games. As soon as I find a Sanyo set that works, I'll be good to go. I just hope it doesn't take me more than one more tv to do it.
post #149 of 2894 Old 09-04-2004, 11:34 PM

Here are some different impressions of the set. I got him home, hooked him up, noticed a weird issue with red and blue dots popping up on the screen. I thought nothing of it, as when I was watching during the day I couldn't see them from my viewing distance and the material i was watching. I threw in Underworld tonight and the colorful snow was very apparent. I'm not giving up on this set, as save for this issue (I believe I got a defective set) the tv is excellent in every respect except geometry. It has a nasty pincushion in the lower right hand corner. I was actually looking foward to tinkering around with the service menu though and fixing it. If the Toshiba goes back on it's crazy sale tomorrow or the next day I'll probably buy that. Otherwise I'll go through Sanyo's till I find one that isn't defective. For what it's worth the overall picture quality on this guy is very good. It's much much much better than the panasonic 32hxc14 with everything ranging from Dish network, to dvd movies, to my xbox games. As soon as I find a Sanyo set that works, I'll be good to go. I just hope it doesn't take me more than one more tv to do it.
post #150 of 2894 Old 09-05-2004, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jefft1314
Here are some different impressions of the set. I got him home, hooked him up, noticed a weird issue with red and blue dots popping up on the screen.

You too? I assumed this was an issue with my DVD player since I have this issue on DVD and I'm running high quality Belkin Component cables. On what sources do you notice the dots and to what degree? On dark scenes or in between scenes they're definately noticable on mine. I'll have to check other sources.

Cory
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page